PDA

View Full Version : DeMarco Murray needs

JLEW1818
3/22/2010, 07:54 PM
15 Touchdowns to break the career rushing TD record at OU.

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/recordbook/player/scoring_career.cfm

(please correct me if wrong)

AlbqSooner
3/22/2010, 08:17 PM
If you are wrong, so is soonerstats.

Crucifax Autumn
3/22/2010, 08:54 PM
So he should have the record midway through the RRS?

JLEW1818
3/22/2010, 08:56 PM
that would be dandy

swardboy
3/22/2010, 10:30 PM
DM has overcome a lot of adversity. I hope nothing but the best for him this year.

Collier11
3/22/2010, 10:31 PM
Check this out Jlew, I updated some of the individual records before the bowl game last season

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137747

gaylordfan1
3/23/2010, 08:40 AM
So, 43 total TD's... 35 rushing, and 8 receiving. I'm seeing he needs 14 TD's this year to tie and 15 to take the lead. Def could happen.

Herr Scholz
3/23/2010, 10:57 AM
So he should have the record midway through the RRS?

Looking at the last two games against us where he ran for 6 yards and -3 yards respectively in which he didn't score either game, I would guess no.

TheUnnamedSooner
3/23/2010, 11:01 AM
Looking at the last two games against us where he ran for 6 yards and -3 yards respectively in which he didn't score either game, I would guess no.

pfft. Don't bring your lies over here. ;)

Herr Scholz
3/23/2010, 11:03 AM
Just bored in the offseason. ;) I do have the UT Spring game to look forward to weekend after next though.

oudavid1
3/23/2010, 11:18 AM
Just bored in the offseason. ;) I do have the UT Spring game to look forward to weekend after next though.

Is that gonna be on the tube?

Sonner magic923
3/23/2010, 11:39 AM
Thats pretty impressive considering CB got most of the goal line carries

BigTime1
3/23/2010, 12:12 PM
Lets quit talking about last year we lost thats all that matters. But we did give them a whole lot more than they thought was comin. Ive never heard them be that quite and polite in the midway after the game. New year new result.

BoulderSooner79
3/23/2010, 02:09 PM
Lets quit talking about last year we lost thats all that matters. But we did give them a whole lot more than they thought was comin. Ive never heard them be that quite and polite in the midway after the game. New year new result.

But, but, but.. during the off-season doldrums, talking about last year is all we got. That and sniping at each others every word. :P

Herr Scholz
3/23/2010, 02:29 PM
Is that gonna be on the tube?

In Austin, they usually show a truncated hour-long version on a local channel. Doubt it's on in other cities though. Maybe Fox Southwest if I'm lucky. But I'll be there anyway.

badger
3/23/2010, 02:29 PM

Since you don't have either Final Four to look forward to anymore :D

Herr Scholz
3/23/2010, 02:43 PM
Since you don't have either Final Four to look forward to anymore :D

That's for sure. And I had KU winning it all in my bracket so what's the point? ;) I'll be pulling for the underdogs though, Northern Iowa, St. Mary's and Cornell.

Jello Biafra
3/23/2010, 02:49 PM

well that equals the same TDs as benson and simms combined against us so i guess we're all even up there.

Collier11
3/23/2010, 02:55 PM
Vince Young had 3 really good games against us....I mean Vince Young had 2 really good games against us...wait, Vince Young had one really good game against arguably Stoops 2nd worst team in his 11 years

Jello Biafra
3/23/2010, 03:08 PM
Vince Young had 3 really good games against us....I mean Vince Young had 2 really good games against us...wait, Vince Young had one really good game against arguably Stoops 2nd worst team in his 11 years

yeh i remember that...didnt we have a future NFL hall of famer hurt in that game and werent we running on fumes with a freshman QB? seems like i remember a defense that allowed their big stub (my bad, stuD) running back 9 carries for like 105 yards with 75+ of those coming off of one run?

yeh that team had some issues. not as bad as this latest one but it had some issues.

Herr Scholz
3/23/2010, 03:18 PM
Is Murray healthy? Does he have the same burst he used to? Hasn't he been banged up off and on the past couple of seasons? Because he was lightning as a Freshman. I definitely remember him hurdling our spare LB Scott Derry for that long TD in '07.

Collier11
3/23/2010, 03:21 PM
he was healthy last yr but never really had the same burst, hopefully a full summer of working out will change that

OK2U
3/23/2010, 03:58 PM
He's added about 15-20 lbs of muscle since his Freshman year too, which might have taken some of that burst away, too.

Collier11
3/23/2010, 04:01 PM
I dont buy that, adding muscle doesnt make you slower...if it did then there wouldnt be DEs and LBs who can run 4.5s and 4.6s

Jello Biafra
3/23/2010, 04:07 PM
I dont buy that, adding muscle doesnt make you slower...if it did then there wouldnt be DEs and LBs who can run 4.5s and 4.6s

pssst. it could happen...if you add weight in your upper body and very little in your lower body, how would it make you faster ;) just saying

Jello Biafra
3/23/2010, 04:09 PM
not only that but, i tend to believe it more with murray anyway because his injuries have been all leg injuries which means he can't be doing much lifting with his legs..

Jacie
3/23/2010, 04:20 PM
15 Touchdowns to break the career rushing TD record at OU.

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/recordbook/player/scoring_career.cfm

(please correct me if wrong)

Tim Duncan was a real triple threat. Only player on that list to score TDs, PATs and FGs!

badger
3/23/2010, 04:33 PM
That's for sure. And I had KU winning it all in my bracket so what's the point? ;) I'll be pulling for the underdogs though, Northern Iowa, St. Mary's and Cornell.

Herr the Horn taking little jabs in stride? How'd you ever get banned? ;)

Herr Scholz
3/23/2010, 04:40 PM
Herr the Horn taking little jabs in stride? How'd you ever get banned? ;)

Never got banned. Just took a short little two and half year hiatus from the site.

badger
3/23/2010, 04:45 PM
Never got banned. Just took a short little two and half year hiatus from the site.

Got sick of losing our avatar bets? :D

JLEW1818
3/23/2010, 06:47 PM
I have not seen the "explosion" out of DM since 2007

JMO

BoulderSooner79
3/23/2010, 10:51 PM
I don't think DM was healthy last year. The surgery he had didn't sound like the type that can be overcome in less than a year. Add that to the surgery the previous year that also was more than a full year to recover and he just hasn't had the chance. It will be interesting to see him this year since he finally finished a season unscathed with well over a year since the last vist to the OR.

rawlingsHOH
3/23/2010, 11:12 PM

it certainly can. speed is a funny thing. some guys lift like crazy and get faster, other guys the opposite...

Collier11
3/23/2010, 11:14 PM
pssst. it could happen...if you add weight in your upper body and very little in your lower body, how would it make you faster ;) just saying

yes but im fairly certain that Schmiddty knows how to balance everything out

Crucifax Autumn
3/24/2010, 12:19 AM
I am absolutely CERTAIN he'll be scoring on texass. He's gonna be in great shape this year.

IronHorseSooner
3/24/2010, 07:19 AM
How often have we seen where guys are either in their last year of college or in the last year of a contract for the pros, and they have a lights-out season? I think this will be that year for DM, but, again, this year comes down to the OL. We have questions at every position along the OL. We have a three deep, but I can only guess at this point who will start when September rolls around. We have a lot of talent in the skill positions, but if Landry doesn't have time, and they can't open holes for DM, M2, Calhoun, Miller, or the new guys, then it doesn't matter the shape these guys are, how fast they are, or how much they improved in the offseason.

BTW, since being over here, I haven't heard very much about practice reports outside of Eric Mensik putting on about 20 lbs and Landry throwing a pick-six to QC. Has anybody heard anything about what's going on?

MojoRisen
3/24/2010, 08:29 AM

Somebody bust out the film where he left your boy in the dust in a bad way.

Oh yeah we must have won that game, because I had to fight several texas guys for being sore loosers and showing agression.

gaylordfan1
3/24/2010, 08:41 AM
I don't think DM was healthy last year. The surgery he had didn't sound like the type that can be overcome in less than a year. Add that to the surgery the previous year that also was more than a full year to recover and he just hasn't had the chance. It will be interesting to see him this year since he finally finished a season unscathed with well over a year since the last vist to the OR.

I think he was healthy... He ran strong. Much stronger than any other year IMO. Maybe it was the oline but he seemed to have changed his running style. He was much more of a bruiser, hitting the hole hard and trying to punish the first person to hit him. He still had finesse, but I think less than before. Again, thats just my opinion.

TahoeSOONER
3/24/2010, 08:55 AM
Last year we just gave up running the ball on tx. I don't care how bad the Oline was if you go one dimensional on offense then your not going to beat good defenses. Bama' just gave the blue print for beating texas, threw the ball like 9 times, and it's something we Sooners have known for a long while. Line up and take their will by pounding the damn ball. Throw in a slot reverse to spread them out once or twice and it opens up the passing game. Keepem honest!

OKC-SLC
3/24/2010, 01:08 PM
I'm tied in career OU/TX touchdowns with TFRW. I'll take that to the grave with me.

Jello Biafra
3/24/2010, 01:16 PM
I'm tied in career OU/TX touchdowns with TFRW. I'll take that to the grave with me.

man, so am i!!!

*high five!* /borat

PLaw
3/24/2010, 08:59 PM
DM has overcome a lot of adversity. I hope nothing but the best for him this year.

^^^^^^^This and amen!

BOOMER

BoulderSooner79
3/24/2010, 10:31 PM
I think he was healthy... He ran strong. Much stronger than any other year IMO. Maybe it was the oline but he seemed to have changed his running style. He was much more of a bruiser, hitting the hole hard and trying to punish the first person to hit him. He still had finesse, but I think less than before. Again, thats just my opinion.

I'll re-word it - I don't think he was full re-habbed last year. Yes he was fully healed, but completely rebuilding all the muscle and retraining all the neurons takes time on a major leg injury. I had an injury similar to the one DM had in '07 and I never recovered. Of course I'm an old guy and didn't have the advanced trainers and equpment but I did all my rehab as instructed and I ride my bike 2500-3000 miles/year. My right quad is still smaller than my left and that was 4 years ago. The surprising thing is retraining neurons to fire proper and that just takes time and more than a year for me. I was astonished DM made it back to the field in '08 at all and he was very productive the 2nd half. He must have worked his butt off.

Anyway, I hope I'm right and that having that full 1.5 years post surgery will be evident on the field this fall. The guy deserves a break.

gaylordfan1
3/24/2010, 11:11 PM
I will take him as our RB anytime... thats why I was pleased with his return.

cheezyq
3/25/2010, 09:25 AM

Adding any weight does, depending on your frame and a whole bunch of other factors. How many DEs and LBs would you describe as having a "burst"? They might be fast, or have a good first step. But that's different than being able to stick a foot in the ground in the middle of a run and turn it up to the next gear to break away from the pack...or being able to come to a complete stop on a cut and then get back up to top speed quickly.

Collier11
3/25/2010, 02:35 PM
which is why I said that im fairly sure that Schmitty knows what he is doing. And adding "any weight" doesnt automatically make you slower

cheezyq
3/25/2010, 03:08 PM
which is why I said that im fairly sure that Schmitty knows what he is doing. And adding "any weight" doesnt automatically make you slower

Yeah, I know, I'm just trying to distinguish between speed and burst.

Take Brandon Jacobs and Ahmad Bradshaw as an example. Both guys are tremendously different in size and muscle mass. Technically, Jacobs ran a faster 40 than Bradshaw. But everyone raves about Bradshaw's "speed". The difference is that Bradshaw can get to his top speed MUCH faster than Jacobs can get to his top speed. Given that most of the action for a runner is in short 5-10 yard bursts, adding weight can diminish a player's ability, depending on the type of runner that they are...and I think Murray might be that type of player.

If Bradshaw starts pumping some serious iron and adding weight, he might not lose his 40 time, and might even improve it. But his shuttle time is going to go down because it takes more effort and energy to get the larger mass into motion from a full stop.

Collier11
3/25/2010, 03:11 PM
yea it def depends on the individual, just look at someone like Mark Clayton. He came in at 140 and had no muscle to speak of, left at 185 I think and had cut his 40 time from 4.7 to 4.4 under the weight training program

Herr Scholz
3/25/2010, 04:06 PM
Is Jermie Calhoun going to get serious PT this year for you guys? Will it be a tandem?

Collier11
3/25/2010, 04:08 PM
If I had to guess, not considering Freshmen who might earn PT id say,

Murray 15 carries a game + 4 or 5 passes a game
Calhoun and Madu 10 carries a game combined

Herr Scholz
3/25/2010, 04:22 PM
Murray 15 carries a game + 4 or 5 passes a game
Calhoun and Madu 10 carries a game combined

That's a solid group.

Crucifax Autumn
3/25/2010, 04:57 PM
They will look damned solid when we lay an azzwhipping on you guys.

gaylordfan1
3/25/2010, 07:44 PM
I think Calhoun will surprise us when he gets more reps and responsibilities at his position. At least I hope so. Brown was a good back esp at short yardage. I think Calhoun will deliver with the short yards but with a little more elusiveness. He is definitely bigger than Brown, but not sure about his open field speed.... we haven't had the luxury of seeing it yet.

gaylordfan1
3/25/2010, 08:23 PM
I'm not sure which of our frosh backs will make it into the lineup this year. Bc you know 1 of them will.

cjames317
3/29/2010, 03:41 PM
... The guy deserves a break.

After last year, please don't use the word "break" in any discussion of any current Sooner?

BoulderSooner79
3/29/2010, 03:50 PM
After last year, please don't use the word "break" in any discussion of any current Sooner?

how about "an extended time period free from surgery and performance limiting injuries or even life's little annoyances like parking tickets or getting an incorrect order at a restaurant, or...."

rawlingsHOH
3/29/2010, 03:56 PM
I think Calhoun will surprise us when he gets more reps and responsibilities at his position. At least I hope so. Brown was a good back esp at short yardage. I think Calhoun will deliver with the short yards but with a little more elusiveness. He is definitely bigger than Brown, but not sure about his open field speed.... we haven't had the luxury of seeing it yet.

We saw him get to the outside against OSU. Had about a 30-yarder I think. Probably similar football speed to Brown, probably not quite as quick timed speed though.