PDA

View Full Version : The Offishul Offseason Keep Our Sanity Thread***

Collier11
3/22/2010, 02:19 PM
Post any interesting CFB news you come across

Collier11
3/22/2010, 02:19 PM
Oregon State will open the 2010 season vs. TCU in Cowboys Stadium on Sept. 4.

ouduckhunter
3/22/2010, 03:31 PM
Oregon State will open the 2010 season vs. TCU in Cowboys Stadium on Sept. 4.

Since I'm an Oregon State fan (for lack of better things to do out here) I might have to fly home for that and then go to the Florida State - OU game the next weekend. Possibilities!

Collier11
3/22/2010, 03:35 PM
would be a great time

meoveryouxinfinity
3/22/2010, 03:40 PM
are big 12 opinion blogs newsworthy? not really but they will help you keep your sanity.

Weak & Strong: Oklahoma (http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/11172/weak-strong-oklahoma)

Weak & Strong: Oklahoma
March, 18, 2010
MAR 18
11:30
AM ET
Email Print Share
By David Ubben
Weak: Offensive line

The only thing the 2009 Oklahoma offensive line did more than get penalized was get injured.

In a season filled with disappointment, the offensive line began the season as a concern, and remained one throughout. Thinning numbers at nearly every position didn’t help, and after Trent Williams suffered a concussion before the season finale, Oklahoma was forced to start walk-on Brian Lepak, though he did perform well.

But the struggling line will lose its three best blockers from last season: Williams, Brian Simmons and Brody Eldridge.

For improvement, the Sooners need players like junior Stephen Good and sophomore Tyler Evans to fulfill their potential. Freshman Bronson Irwin enrolled early and will be in spring camp for the Sooners, and junior Donald Stephenson returns from a year-long suspension. He's drawn praise from Bob Stoops for his early work.

Strong: Defensive end

Oklahoma could once again contend for the best defensive line in college football, but its real strength is on the ends.

Senior Jeremy Beal had 11 sacks (fourth-most in school history) last season after grabbing 8.5 as a sophomore. Now, his senior season will be his third as starter after two consecutive appearances on the All-Big 12 first team.

Frank Alexander played extensively (nine starts) in his first two seasons and likely assumes a permanent starting role as a junior. Seven of his 23 tackles last season were for a loss and he also notched 1.5 sacks.

As a freshman, Alexander was named an All-Big 12 honorable mention performer and had five tackles as a starter in the national title game.

Weak & Strong: Texas (http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/11233/weak-strong-texas)

Weak & Strong: Texas
March, 22, 2010
MAR 22
2:30
PM ET
Email Print Share
By David Ubben
Here, we’ll take a look at one area where each team in the Big 12 can expect to succeed, and another that needs improvement.

Weak: Playmakers

Jordan Shipley is gone, and Texas must find at least one running back or receiver who is capable of making a consistent impact on the Longhorns offense. Texas' leading returning receiver, James Kirkendoll, caught 48 passes for 461 yards and six touchdowns. The team's second-leading receiver, Dan Buckner, transferred to Arizona.

Now, they'll rely on a handful of receivers like Marquise Goodwin, John Chiles and Malcolm Williams, to emerge as quarterback Garrett Gilbert's primary targets. No current Texas receiver has ever had both 40 receptions or more and 500 receiving yards in a season. If the current receivers can't prove they're reliable, incoming freshmen Darius White, DeMarco Cobbs and Mike Davis could see plenty of early playing time.

Texas will likely practice a running back-by-committee approach in 2010, with Tre' Newton, Cody Johnson, Vondrell McGee and Fozzy Whittaker jockeying throughout the spring and fall for carries.

Strong: Secondary

Cornerback Curtis Brown and safety Blake Gideon return after having All-Big 12 honorable mention performances in 2009. Gideon intercepted six passes in 2009 and made 62 tackles. Brown broke up 15 passes and also made 53 tackles.

Starters Chykie Brown and Aaron Williams also return from a defense that ranked second in the Big 12 in pass defense and had a nation-best 25 interceptions. Though Texas' safeties collected most of the Longhorns interceptions in 2009, Brown and Williams combined to pick off five passes. They also broke up 16 passes, had 92 tackles and collected four sacks.

The Longhorns lost Earl Thomas to the NFL draft, leaving the second safety spot up for grabs this spring. Christian Scott missed last season, and Nolan Brewster isn't practicing this spring after shoulder surgery, but both could line up across from Gideon in the fall. Ben Wells and Kenny Vaccaro could also compete for the spot.

ouleaf
3/22/2010, 03:40 PM
Yet another event at the Death Star! Jerry is gonna make money on this place no matter what it takes. That should be a pretty well received game around these parts. Fort Worth will go crazy hyping up the game and Jerry will make some money. It's a win-win.

badger
3/22/2010, 04:09 PM
The NFL Draft is coming up! Sure to be one of the greatest non-Sooner-turned-Sooner events of the offseason. Get a watch party together, it's gonna be an AWESOME first round.

Not football related, but as soon as it's basketball season, I've promised to post a hottest OU basketball women poll ;)

goingoneight
3/22/2010, 05:02 PM
News?

Ummm... today the guys are back for practice.

Ben Habern returns supposedly.

Healing from injuries = :)

OK2U
3/22/2010, 05:53 PM
FSU's Christian Ponder Ahead of schedule in spring practice after missing the last 3 games of the season w/ a shoulder injury. Hopefully the 'noles will provide a good test for our young ( and short) CBs.

OK2U
3/22/2010, 06:23 PM
In new soonersports.com spring practice video Eric Mensik talks about the transition O-line. Says in Sun Bowl he weighed 260 and right now he's up to 284.
Should be good to go this fall!

OK2U
3/24/2010, 03:46 PM
http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2010/03/24/ou-spring-practice-report-day-3/
Spring Practice Update:

Remember football? I hardly do after all this crazy week of OU basketball. But the Sooners did complete spring practice No. 3 Monday.

OU has been trying something it learned while visiting Nick Saban’s coaching staff from Alabama.

In the words of running back Mossis Madu: “The two teams are on different sides of the field. The coaches have said they don’t want to see guys standing around. So instead of the second team watching the first team, now we have both teams going all out the whole practice. I think today we got in 120 plays a couple of weeks ago.

“This spring has been based on speed. Right now with the way practices are going, the people do look a lot faster and swifter. We’re also doing the A Team and B Team type of stuff, so guys are out there getting a whole lot of reps.”

That kind of practice plan has done well in developing depth at Alabama. There’s a reason why Bama, even after losing key players off its national championship team, will be ranked No. 1 preseason.

For young, second-team guys like Javon Harris, Kenny Stills, Dan Franklin, Bronson Irwin, Gabe Lynn, so on and so forth, this kind of work could prove to expedite their development.

“Guys get better from practicing,” said wide receivers coach Jay Norvell. “This gets them more practice reps.”

* Speaking of Madu, the rising senior from Norman is enjoying being back at running back, after last year’s experiment sitting the bench at receiver.

“Running back is home for me,” he said. “It comes natural to me. I just hope I can get out there and make plays.”

Madu is probably the favorite to back up DeMarco Murray at RB, and in that capacity, Madu should see several carries next season, something he’s pumped about after spending most of last season on the sidelines.

“I could be selfish and say that last year was a lost year,” Madu said of his move to receiver. “But it was one of those things that they asked me to do. They told me before hand that I had an opportunity to start there but in the end it was just harder for me to adapt to.”

But Madu thinks that season at receiver could help him become a better overall back.

“I see myself running routes out of the backfield better this year,” he said. “I’m catching the ball a whole lot easier this year. It feels like the routes I’m running at tail back are so easy because it’s a lot slower of a route for a running back.”

Coach Bob Stoops has been very pleased with Madu up to this point: “Mossis is doing great. He really looks like he’s in great shape, he’s had a great winter, you can tell. He looks really quick and he’s doing a lot of things really well.

“He’s a natural at (running back). He has a good feel for things and he can do a lot of things and he’s a good, hard playing guy that has a lot to him. We want to give him those opportunities and he’s looked good in spring. It’s only been one day in pads but I can tell he’s had a good winter and he’s moving well.”

* Stoops discussed Monday the imminent arrival of Boise State coach Chris Petersen. I asked Stoops if one of the things they’d discuss would be trick plays.

“I’m going to try and find out some of theirs,” Stoops joked. “Mine used to work a long time ago but it’s been a little while since they have. No one notices them when they don’t work.”

Stoops, on a more serious note: “I really appreciate and respect everything they do and we’ll share ideas and confer on things. Just like everyone has made a big deal on Coach Saban and I and Alabama. This isn’t uncommon. We get together and share ideas and there’s always different ways of doing things and seeing things through someone else’s eyes and that’s what coaches do to a degree.”

Peterson is also visiting Oregon’s practice next week. It’s unclear exactly what day Peterson will be in Norman.

* Receiver Ryan Broyles has been working on his strength this off-season. He’s up to benching 330 pounds, a career-high for him. He thinks he’s only going to get strong during the summer.

Said Broyles: “Really I feel like I put on more strength during the summer time because we work hard during the summer.”

Mark Clayton said during OU’s pro day earlier this month that he and Broyles have begun to develop a relationship.

Broyles discussed that, saying “I started talking to Mark probably eight months ago, before the season started. He’s always got good advice and growing up here in Norman I’ve always looked up to him. And he knows that. He’s always got things to say and I’m always there to listen. I’m taking in as much information as I can from a guy that’s been through this system and now in the NFL.”

* Offensive guard/tackle Jarvis Jones has been cleared by doctors to practice after undergoing season-ending heel surgery last fall.

I asked Jones about the change in dedication and commitment from the offensive line Stoops referred to earlier this month, Jones said it’s off-the-field stuff as well as on-the-field. He said the line is going to class, taking care of their classwork. Jones said he was one of the problems last year. Now, he’s trying to become one of the solutions.

“I’m working toward being a better person, a better character guy,” he said.

* On the advice of trainers, Murray has been doing yoga this off-season to help him avoid any future injuries. Murray is trying to become more flexible, which should not only enhance his ability, but prevent his tendons and muscles from tearing. Murray has suffered turf toe, a dislocated kneecap, a torn quad and a sprained ankle his first four years at OU. Murray’s sprained ankle is nearly all healed. He says it’s about 90 percent.

Murray is not expected to do any scrimmaging or live drills this spring, in an effort to keep him healthy.

* True freshman WR Sheldon McClain has been fully cleared for practice. McClain, who enrolled early at OU, tore his ACL during his senior season of high school.

* Norvell said OU’s other true freshman, Kenny Stills, is having a great start to the spring. Freshman Jaz Reynolds also noted that Stills is showing some things in practice, and wouldn’t be surprised, if like Reynolds did last season, Stills avoided redshirt and was part of the receiving rotation as a true freshman.

* Former OU linebacker Gus Jones has resurfaced at Northeastern State University. Jones, a graduate of Wagoner, spent last season redshirting at OU, then at semester’s end, decided he was transferring.

“It was a great experience at OU, but it just wasn’t for me,” Jones told the Muskogee Phoenix. “Why did I leave? I really didn’t fit in. I didn’t want to sit around and wait to play either, but it was tough to leave friends because I’d been with them for six to seven months.”

“There are a lot of country kids at NSU and there were very few at Oklahoma. I feel a lot more comfortable at NSU.”

* QB Sam Bradford is Norman prepping for his March 29 pro day, which will go a long way in determining in whether the Rams take him with the No. 1 overall pick. Bradford won’t be lifting or running. He’ll just be throwing, to show his surgically repaired throwing shoulder is good to go.

-JT

Collier11
3/24/2010, 04:18 PM
Thx OK2U...couple of my opinions, the idea of having the 1st and 2nd teams constantly practicing as opposed to standing around is a really good idea, can only make the team as a whole better which in turn will make us better prepared if a #1 gets hurt.

Also, I think Reynolds will have a big year for us this year, our WRs will be strength this year again