PDA

View Full Version : College Football Worldwide?

SteelClip49
3/22/2010, 01:29 PM
I know the Mirage Bowl and Coca-Cola Classic were played in Tokyo for several years but really that is it with few exceptions throughout college football history in which games would be elsewhere overseas.

The International Bowl is in Toronto which perhaps could be a start of what is later to come as far as exposing our collegiate level to other parts of the world.

Is there a possibility that regular season and/or bowl games could be played in Europe and Asia in the future again?

ouleaf
3/22/2010, 02:55 PM
I had almost forgotten about that game. I don't think it would be very likely that we will see anything like that again.

HillbillyRay
3/22/2010, 03:53 PM
i dont see that happening, as long as the schools have to shell out the travel expenses

ndpruitt03
3/22/2010, 04:02 PM
We may see games in Mexico or Canada but traveling worldwide takes a lot of money.

rawlingsHOH
3/22/2010, 04:07 PM
I think I remember Nebraska and Wisconsin both playing games in Tokyo back in the early 90s.

KantoSooner
3/22/2010, 04:40 PM
The games in Tokyo were well attended (I went to the first one and got to see various Sooners) and I am sure travel, etc. was very well compensated. I don't see it happening in anything other than a 'pro bowl' type format due to the problems associated with travel time and jetlag. A single game would pretty much blow two weeks out of school/practice schedules.

Also, to be annual, you'd have to have schools with name rec.....in that country and also some collection of local alums. And, in Japan that would reduce you Pac10 schools plus Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Penn St. and Michigan. (an exagerration, but not by much).

There is no local football of note. The military base highschools sometimes play Japanese colleges and the results are pretty one sided. And it's not really size as the Japanese are much bigger than 30 years ago (milk in the diet, if you want my theory). It's more a matter of most players in this country watching the game from early childhood. Faced with a new situation, they've literally 'seen it before. Makes a big difference.

ndpruitt03
3/22/2010, 04:40 PM
Barry Sanders accepted his Heisman Trophy from Tokyo because they were playing a game there if I remember right.

Leroy Lizard
3/22/2010, 05:05 PM
And it's not really size as the Japanese are much bigger than 30 years ago (milk in the diet, if you want my theory).

So they're becoming fat slobs like us?

setem
3/22/2010, 05:12 PM
wide...wide...wide...wide! BOATS & HOES!

Jacie
3/23/2010, 04:14 PM
Ummm, college football is not like little league, where some kids from Taiwan have shown representative teams from the U.S. how it's done in the LL World Series on occassion. If the rules were the same, the country that could possibly be competitive with the U.S. at the college level would be Canada, and only against lesser U.S. programs. The cream of Canadian athletes go into hockey. I cannot even imagine what a game between a Top 25 program and a team from a university in Mexico or Japan would be like except that it would make 77-0 look like a warm up. For the foreseeable future, all the rest of the world can do is send a few kids over here to be on U.S. collegiate teams.

In a game of soccer however, the advantage would belong to the Mexicans. A team of Japanese collegians could compete in baseball.

KantoSooner
3/23/2010, 04:46 PM
So they're becoming fat slobs like us?

On the negative side, yes, the slender Japanese now have childhood obesity issues just like us (not as bad, but give them time, happy meals and super sizing exist there, too, along with delivery pizza).

On the plus side, men and women have gained about 4 inches in average height since the 1970's and there are 'big ol boys' roaming the streets (it's not unheard of to see Japanese men in the 6'4" to 6'6" range (not common, but not freakish)).

On the total plus side, compared to the 1970's, Japanese women now boast both long legs and breasts.

Milk. It's good for you.

Jacie
3/24/2010, 09:43 AM
On the total plus side, compared to the 1970's, Japanese women now boast both long legs and breasts.

Worthless w/o pics . . .

texaspokieokie
3/24/2010, 09:56 AM
ndp

the cowboys did play in japan.
i'd forgotten about it.

sanders was great that year.

KantoSooner
3/24/2010, 01:14 PM
Worthless w/o pics . . .

Mea maxima culpa. I have none, but would suggest that you go to www.asiangirls.com
On your work computer, obviously.
Cheers!

KantoSooner
3/24/2010, 01:16 PM
Oh lord, that came through as a link! Note: there probably IS such a site. I included it as a joke.
Who knows what your computer would catch if you went there, though. Don't, I wouldn't.