PDA

View Full Version : Who is one player from another team who you truly root for?

Collier11
3/22/2010, 12:12 PM
Noel Devine- West Virginia

I remember coming out of HS, this kids highlight tapes were unreal. Both of his parents died of Aids when he was younger and it looked like he wouldnt even get to college because of grades and attitude. Once he chose WVU most people said he would never make it because of grades or getting in trouble, and if he did make it long enough he would just go pro.

The guy has done the complete opposite, he has been a model citizen by all accounts the last 2 years, decided to pass on the NFL for a chance at a degree despite a 1500 yd season, and will graduate next year. I cant help but like Devine

Jello Biafra
3/22/2010, 12:18 PM
tim tebow and colt mccoy

Collier11
3/22/2010, 12:21 PM
LIAR

Curly Bill
3/22/2010, 12:26 PM
I can't think of anyone. Seriously!

Jello Biafra
3/22/2010, 12:41 PM
LIAR

yep caught me...

i go for more the Pat Tillman types. you know the ones who don't have the sense of entitlement issues....

BoulderSooner79
3/22/2010, 12:43 PM
After we drew Stanford for the bowl match-up, I started to really like Toby Gerhart. And since we got what we wanted (a bowl win), I was glad he showed he was for real. It also helped showed we were playing somebody. Of course, he is gone now.

icmwhOU72
3/22/2010, 12:47 PM
Dexter McCluster he was really fun to watch

salth2o
3/22/2010, 12:55 PM
Adam James? :rolleyes:

Patrick Edwards from University of Houston. This is the kid who had the horrible leg break vs. Marshall. I was glad to see him return after that awful injury and like to see him catch the ball.

wcqVloclNNI

OK2U
3/22/2010, 01:20 PM
Didn't Noel Divine run all over us i the Fiesta Bowl after Slaton went down?
Sure wish Stoops could recruit that Big East speed...

Leroy Lizard
3/22/2010, 01:30 PM
Model citizen?

In Mid-February 2008, Devine and teammate, Jock Sanders, allegedly beat and stomped two students outside of Club Z in Morgantown. Head coach Bill Stewart said of the incident, "To me disrespecting someone downtown of the opposite sex is a whole lot worse than bumping into a guy in a bar, which you shouldn't be in the bar anyhow. But, to me there's intangibles in life. Sometimes there's confrontations, sometimes you don't handle confrontations right, but preplanned, pre arranged instances–you can't overlook that."[32] On March 13 2008, Devine, Sanders, Eain Smith, and Brantwon Bowser were arrested. They pleaded no contest.[33]

Jello Biafra
3/22/2010, 01:36 PM
Model citizen?

well, it's all relative...compared to mike tyson...

Collier11
3/22/2010, 01:42 PM
I said the last two years, and I really wouldnt consider getting in a fight when you are not the initial aggressor that big of a deal.

Jello Biafra
3/22/2010, 01:51 PM
and I really wouldnt consider getting in a fight when you are not the initial aggressor that big of a deal.

hey, thats what i kept saying in germany...MPs weren't buying though.

badger
3/22/2010, 01:52 PM
Noel Devine- West Virginia

I remember coming out of HS, this kids highlight tapes were unreal. Both of his parents died of Aids when he was younger and it looked like he wouldnt even get to college because of grades and attitude. Once he chose WVU most people said he would never make it because of grades or getting in trouble, and if he did make it long enough he would just go pro.

The guy has done the complete opposite, he has been a model citizen by all accounts the last 2 years, decided to pass on the NFL for a chance at a degree despite a 1500 yd season, and will graduate next year. I cant help but like Devine

Anyone else catch the cover story on ESPN about Deion Sanders? He tried to convince Noel's grandmother to let him legally adopt Noel. However, granny remembered Deion from his hometown (Deion and Noel are from the same town, imagine that) and how arrogant he used to be, so she worried that Deion would take all of the credit and use Noel to make himself look good after Noel made it.

I was a big fan of Baylor's Robert Griffin III before his injury. Considering what team he plays for and now how he had to come back from an injury, I'll probably cheer for him in every game except one this year :D

Collier11
3/22/2010, 01:59 PM
yea ive been reading it Badg, Sanders has motives all over the place

Leroy Lizard
3/22/2010, 01:59 PM
Is Noel taking care of his illegitimate children? I would think that would be at minimum required of a model citizen?

And I ask seriously. I really don't know.

Sooner04
3/22/2010, 02:01 PM
Mardy Gilyard.

BillyBall
3/22/2010, 02:02 PM
LaMichael James, he seems to be pretty classy...

Collier11
3/22/2010, 02:03 PM
Is Noel taking care of his illegitimate children? I would think that would be at minimum required of a model citizen?

And I ask seriously. I really don't know.

Well I dont follow his personal life but as far as ive heard he and his Grandma both have a part in their lives...to what extent im not sure

BoulderSooner79
3/22/2010, 02:10 PM
I could live with "beat" - but "beat and stomped"? To me, stomping goes too far. Maybe okay if he was just wearing flip-flops.

Collier11
3/22/2010, 02:11 PM
IF some drunk guy jumps you outside a bar you are probably gonna be pretty pissed and want to beat the snot out of them right?

Leroy Lizard
3/22/2010, 02:21 PM
Yeah, it doesn't sound much like a model citizen. I can understand some things like this happen, but a model citizen is above that.

He didn't plead self-defense.

I am not a model citizen by the way.

Collier11
3/22/2010, 02:22 PM
I never said he was overall, just said the last two years :D

Leroy Lizard
3/22/2010, 02:23 PM
I've never been arrested, and I'm over fifty years old. A two-year stretch doesn't impress me.

Collier11
3/22/2010, 02:25 PM
Nor have I...when I said model citizen the last two years I was saying that im comparison to his 1st season at WVU and his upbringing, he couldve easily became a bad apple and it appears that he has turned his life around for the best, deciding to go back for his SR year is the biggest clue to me as opposed to chasing the money

MiccoMacey
3/22/2010, 02:30 PM
Jordan Shipley (except when he played against OU).

I love hearing about kids who come back from adversity, and he had not one, but two season-ending injuries, and came back to be one of the best WRs/slots in the game.

That's why I'll always like Michael Thompson and Ryan Reynolds, regardless of what they accomplished on the field for us.

Leroy Lizard
3/22/2010, 03:03 PM
Let's just say that Devine has managed to stay out of serious trouble for a couple of years.

Collier11
3/22/2010, 03:04 PM
well, as far as I can tell he has stayed out of any trouble the last 2 years

pappy
3/22/2010, 03:27 PM
Jordan Shipley except against OU...I hope the patriots get him, but they probably won't.

meoveryouxinfinity
3/22/2010, 03:36 PM
Nate Stupar- Penn State- probably the best defensive player you haven't heard of. was injured for a majority of 2009. highly recruited out of State College. Great kid with a great family lineage when it comes to college sports. His Hostetler grandparents have something like 18 kids and grandkids who played division 1 college athletics. Look for this kid this year. If healthy, he's one heck of a LB.

oudavid1
3/22/2010, 03:38 PM
Jerrod Johnson - QB - Texas A&M

BoulderSooner79
3/22/2010, 04:13 PM
Myron Rolle is a kid that put education first about as much as anyone ever has. He had a lot to lose from a football aspect because he was considered a mid-round talent which could have easily dropped him off the boards completely by taking that Rhodes Scholarship. I hope he gets a fair shot at the NFL. Sorry, another player who is finished at the college level, but I only have hindsight today.

badger
3/22/2010, 04:32 PM
Myron Rolle

Did anyone else hear about Stoops recruiting him to come here for a long time, only for Myron to not have the guts to call Bob to tell him he was going to Florida State?

I don't want to spread rumors that aren't true, so please let me know if it isn't. I heard that it really, really hurt (i.e. pizzed off) Stoops that Myron wouldn't at least call him before signing with FSU after the relationship they had established during recruiting.

Jello Biafra
3/22/2010, 04:44 PM
Did anyone else hear about Stoops recruiting him to come here for a long time, only for Myron to not have the guts to call Bob to tell him he was going to Florida State?

I don't want to spread rumors that aren't true, so please let me know if it isn't. I heard that it really, really hurt (i.e. pizzed off) Stoops that Myron wouldn't at least call him before signing with FSU after the relationship they had established during recruiting.

i heard the same thing. bottom line i think was he liked us but his family went to FSU and he didnt want to hurt anyones feelings.

Leroy Lizard
3/22/2010, 05:03 PM

Oooh, bad form! (if true)

goingoneight
3/22/2010, 05:34 PM
It doesn't hurt a coach's feelings so mch as it pisses them off. If you're counting on them signing, you have a scholarship reserved for them. When they pull a hat trick or a no-call... then you have to go scrap up someone from your B-list. Note: everyone knows that the B-list ain't always so bad.

Leroy Lizard
3/22/2010, 05:42 PM
If the coach has offered, you need to call him if you decide to go somewhere else. It's only proper.

MiccoMacey
3/22/2010, 05:46 PM
It doesn't hurt a coach's feelings so mch as it pisses them off. If you're counting on them signing, you have a scholarship reserved for them. When they pull a hat trick or a no-call... then you have to go scrap up someone from your B-list. Note: everyone knows that the B-list ain't always so bad.

Can't really get too mad, as we do it to other teams and coaches all the time.

We sign kids that have committed to other programs, only to back off them and sign with us at the 11th hour.

I agree, the kid should contact the coach and let him know he's going elsewhere...but we're just as guilty of accepting those who didn't as anyone else.

o0Dan0o
3/22/2010, 08:28 PM
Ohio State kicker Ryan Praetorius, because he's a kicker named Praetorius, and that's just plain badass...

Toby Gerheart tops the list too, guy is just a die-hard player! Jeremy Maclin as well, standout player who seemed to have no attitude with an excellent work ethic. Plus, we kicked his *** three times in two years...

Plus pretty much anyone who plays for Texas State, where I went to undergrad.
Dan

JLEW1818
3/22/2010, 08:30 PM
Blake Gideon... he messes everything up

DakotaSooner
3/22/2010, 09:35 PM
If the coach has offered, you need to call him if you decide to go somewhere else. It's only proper.

I bet Devine called all the coaches that recruited him and respectfully declined.

Picaninny
3/22/2010, 09:54 PM
#17 Ryan Tannehill, QB/WR, Texas A&M

http://www.aggieathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/tannehill_ryan00.html

SoonerInKCMO
3/22/2010, 10:02 PM
Ohio State kicker Ryan Praetorius, because he's a kicker named Praetorius, and that's just plain badass...

I see your Praetorius and raise you a Caravaggio (http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/gvoJ_4WplEuGLDDGuC0Xxg/football-fall-07/stats-zach-caravaggio.htm). :D

oudavid1
3/22/2010, 10:38 PM
Blake Gideon... he messes everything up

http://insidetexas.com/media/images/article/1253122097.jpg

My favorite Longwhorn by far :)

Not just for the play against Tech that sent us to Miami, but also for picking off a 17 yard pass ON 4TH DOWN against Alabama. Instead of getting the ball on the 20 they got in on the 37.....what an idiot.

CrimsonCommando
3/22/2010, 11:26 PM
I say Mardy Gillyard too. He hugged that little he ran over by accident and he gave us all we wanted and then some.

Also there was a kicker for Ohio State several years back named Nugent or Newton. He seemed like a good role model and good kid.

Crucifax Autumn
3/22/2010, 11:48 PM
http://insidetexas.com/media/images/article/1253122097.jpg

My favorite Longwhorn by far :)

Not just for the play against Tech that sent us to Miami, but also for picking off a 17 yard pass ON 4TH DOWN against Alabama. Instead of getting the ball on the 20 they got in on the 37.....what an idiot.

Redundant? :D

Leroy Lizard
3/23/2010, 12:02 AM
I bet Devine called all the coaches that recruited him and respectfully declined.

Wow. He's such a swell guy.

TXBOOMER
3/23/2010, 07:19 AM
If the side of your helmet doesn't have OU on it, I could care less.
BOOMER! I wish Devine would have went pro so he could start supporting his kids.

goingoneight
3/23/2010, 08:16 AM
I root for Adrian Peterson. He plays for Minnesota, so that's technically another team.

badger
3/23/2010, 08:54 AM
I didn't try to suggest that all recruits need to call all coaches to tell them they're going elsewhere. From what I heard Myron and Coach Stoops had a well-established relationship and had grown kind of close through the recruiting process. THOSE guys you should call and hope they understand. Hanging them out to dry after establishing a friendship? Bad form.

soonerfan28
3/23/2010, 09:17 AM
Gerhart and Robert Griffin III

HBick
3/23/2010, 05:53 PM
Julio Jones - Say what you will about him choosing Bama over the Sooners, but I got the pleasure to meet him on his recruiting trip to Norman. He was reserved, and nothing but nice to all of us.

Also, the fact that the crimson alliance is alive and strong these days might have influenced my decision.

OK2U
3/23/2010, 09:33 PM
Keith Nichol has been moved to WR full time at Mich. St.
I wish him the best, but would have liked to have seen him succeed under center.
He never should have transfered.

soonerinabilene
3/23/2010, 10:20 PM
major applewhite. a true class act with a GREAT attitude. the way he handled the whole chrissy situation showed maturity beyond his years. and the way he led them back in the holiday bowl against washington was amazing. the classiest horn ever, imo.

Leroy Lizard
3/24/2010, 12:02 AM
I thought they were all classy. Oh, "classiest." Wow, that must be like a truck load of class.

the_edge
3/24/2010, 01:05 AM
Ndamukong Suh last season, this upcoming season it'll probably be Jake Locker.