PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever put up a privacy fence?

landrun
3/21/2010, 08:07 PM
I'm wanting something like this:
http://www.gardenstructure.com/userfiles/image/site2009e/privacy-fencept2.jpg

I've got prices on all the material and have an *idea* of how to build it.
4X4s, 6X6s, the individual planks, the 1X6s, quickCrete and the post tops. I have an air compressor and a few nail guns.

Is this difficult to do? I'm not a handy-man but I'm not an idiot either. :D
I know how to level the 4X4 s(and I'll use 6X6s on the corners and for the posts for the gates) I'd have to figure out how to build the gates and I'd round the top 1X6s - as show in the above picture - with a jig saw (actually, this would be a good job for my 15 year old son. ;) ) I think the most difficult part would be ensuring the top of the posts were all at the same height because my yard slopes. But I could use a line for this with a level. So I can't see how that would be too hard?:confused: I have about 240 feet of fence to put up with 3 gates and my yard slopes so I'll have to stagger the fence - just like the fence above is staggered down as it goes to the right.

I'm just curious if an amateur is biting off more than they can chew to do this. Anyone have experience doing this. I've heard conflicting opinions, some saying its difficult to do and others saying its really pretty simple. At first glance, I can see how it would be time consuming. But how difficult is it for someone putting up their first fence and doing it by himself?

Boarder
3/21/2010, 08:11 PM
It's a decent sized undertaking. This fence is quite a bit more involved than a regular wood fence. Just take your time and measure twice.

As for the tops, make the uprights too long then cut them off to the right height after it's up.

landrun
3/21/2010, 08:38 PM
Just curious, what saw do you use to cut the uprights with?

MojoRisen
3/21/2010, 09:03 PM
I had long fence come in and do it in one day for 600 feet with about 4-5 guys... They also cut off the tops with a Chainsaw.. If you have the nail guns and the game plan I think you can knock it out in a couple of days.

Boarder
3/21/2010, 09:21 PM
Just curious, what saw do you use to cut the uprights with?
Skillsaw, chain, recip, etc. The one in the picture has a cap so it will hide imperfections in the cut.

fadada1
3/21/2010, 09:54 PM
think we could put one of those up along the red river?

Crucifax Autumn
3/21/2010, 10:28 PM
With one of those you could get stoned, naked, and playing bongos with no chance of getting caught!

Curly Bill
3/21/2010, 11:01 PM
What are you trying to hide?

goingoneight
3/22/2010, 08:20 AM
I got tired of Oklahoma's windy storm season destroying my privacy fence every spring. Chain link FTW. But that's just me. I don't have a pool or anything like that. Just trees and a gas meter.