PDA

View Full Version : How much does an abortion cost?

ouwasp
3/20/2010, 12:03 AM
In money that is.

This is something I'm happily ignorant of... but I hear the topic popping up all the time during the Obamacare debate...

So how much does it cost to destroy a fetus?

Harry Beanbag
3/20/2010, 02:57 AM
In money that is.

This is something I'm happily ignorant of... but I hear the topic popping up all the time during the Obamacare debate...

So how much does it cost to destroy a
human?

I have no idea.

yermom
3/20/2010, 03:00 AM
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/abortion/in-clinic-abortion-procedures-4359.htm

$350-900 from Planned Parenthood :eek:

Flagstaffsooner
3/20/2010, 03:19 AM
$450 Last time I was involved with it.

delhalew
3/20/2010, 09:27 AM
What a bargain.:rolleyes:

MR2-Sooner86
3/20/2010, 09:40 AM
Pssssh! Why do that when you can get a nice coat hanger for $10?

olevetonahill
3/20/2010, 10:10 AM
http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/abortion/in-clinic-abortion-procedures-4359.htm

$350-900 from Planned Parenthood :eek:

Are you shatin me ? come on peeps
I paid fer My kids from conception to birth
My Oldest son cost me total 979 dollars , It took me 4 years to pay him off
My #2 Son cost me 650 dollars total Doc and Hospital had him pai9d off in NO time
My Daughter cost me a whopping 601 bucks , I about shat !
2 false labors , 2 preps , Private room !
I begged my Ex to get a bill from the Hospital so I could get to payin .
They sent it
301 Dollars, I said No way , She called em they said that's it . I told her wright a check and pay that Kid off !

My Oldest Son was the LAST one paid fer . Course he cost the most :cool:

What ya saying is it cost as much if not More to KILL a kid as to just have it back in the day? That sucks !:mad: :eek:

oudivesherpa
3/20/2010, 12:44 PM
Is this a cost analysis of birth v. abortion? If one just takes the economic costs of raising kids versus abortion we would be at zero (or negative) population growth. OMG don't look at the long term cost of kids.

sooner ngintunr
3/20/2010, 01:00 PM
Are you shatin me ? come on peeps
I paid fer My kids from conception to birth
My Oldest son cost me total 979 dollars , It took me 4 years to pay him off
My #2 Son cost me 650 dollars total Doc and Hospital had him pai9d off in NO time
My Daughter cost me a whopping 601 bucks , I about shat !
2 false labors , 2 preps , Private room !
I begged my Ex to get a bill from the Hospital so I could get to payin .
They sent it
301 Dollars, I said No way , She called em they said that's it . I told her wright a check and pay that Kid off !

My Oldest Son was the LAST one paid fer . Course he cost the most :cool:

What ya saying is it cost as much if not More to KILL a kid as to just have it back in the day? That sucks !:mad: :eek:

that must have been waaaaay back in the day.:D

My total bills (before insurance writedown) from the Doctor and hospital were about $15,000. Normal delivery, no drugs, no complications.:eek:

SicEmBaylor
3/20/2010, 01:53 PM
No drugs? I'm not a woman, but they'd have to numb me from head to toe before I'd push something that large out of an opening so small (presumably).

sooner ngintunr
3/20/2010, 02:17 PM
No drugs? I'm not a woman, but they'd have to numb me from head to toe before I'd push something that large out of an opening so small (presumably).

No surprise that my wife is tougher than you. :D :P

JohnnyMack
3/20/2010, 02:36 PM
Three fiddy?

I Am Right
3/20/2010, 04:06 PM
How much is a life worth, money that is?

SicEmBaylor
3/20/2010, 04:22 PM
How much is a life worth, money that is?

It may not be politic to say so, but there is an upper limit. It's different depending on the person to be sure. For example, an unborn child is worth a lot...a whole lot. But then again you take a guy like Charles Manson, and the change rattling around in my pocket is worth more than his life.

The point is, you can probably put a dollar amount on any life.

I Am Right
3/20/2010, 04:28 PM
It may not be politic to say so, but there is an upper limit. It's different depending on the person to be sure. For example, an unborn child is worth a lot...a whole lot. But then again you take a guy like Charles Manson, and the change rattling around in my pocket is worth more than his life.

The point is, you can probably put a dollar amount on any life.

So, Mr Baptist, you put values on life. Man I am glad you are not in charge. I guess as long as we don't have a drink or dance we are OK!

SicEmBaylor
3/20/2010, 04:41 PM
So, Mr Baptist, you put values on life. Man I am glad you are not in charge. I guess as long as we don't have a drink or dance we are OK!

Yeah, I'm not Baptist. I wasn't even raised Baptist (Methodist).

I don't believe in abortion, but it's silly to say that every life is priceless. I mean, for example, is one unborn child worth say....the entire GDP of the United States? I personally don't think so. I don't want to see the child aborted, but then again I wouldn't sacrifice the finances of the entire nation.

That's my point...my point is that saying every life is priceless is just asinine.

JohnnyMack
3/20/2010, 04:50 PM
Child killer Casey Anthony

http://blogs.discovery.com/criminal_report/images/2008/10/23/caseyanthonymugshot.jpg

or

Possibly the smartest man who ever lived

http://www.geocentrism.com/Hawking.jpg

Collier11
3/20/2010, 05:43 PM
Yeah, I'm not Baptist. I wasn't even raised Baptist (Methodist).

I don't believe in abortion, but it's silly to say that every life is priceless. I mean, for example, is one unborn child worth say....the entire GDP of the United States? I personally don't think so. I don't want to see the child aborted, but then again I wouldn't sacrifice the finances of the entire nation.

That's my point...my point is that saying every life is priceless is just asinine.

I see where yer goin SicEm but thats not really for us to say

yermom
3/20/2010, 06:23 PM
how about the uninsured? illegal aliens? or does that only apply to Americans?

badger
3/20/2010, 06:46 PM
In money that is.

So how much does it cost to destroy a fetus?

Try to get rid of the next Tim Tebow? ;)

I Am Right
3/20/2010, 07:52 PM
Its a choice not a child, I chose life. My son, daughter and wife are PRICELESS

bonkuba
3/21/2010, 01:09 AM
hmmm.....doesn't seem like a lot of $$ to kill a person. I hope that every woman that has an abortion is haunted by it each and every day of her life (maybe takes her own life.....justice). Maybe the kid would've wanted it the other way around...say shooting her in the head so he could live instead of being dumped in a bucket.

If you believe in the afterlife Hell is not hot enough for these miserable bitches. Babies are precious and should be loved....not killed.:mad:

I love my babies more than anything in the world. And yep, they are priceless to me. How do you know? Try ****ing with one of 'em and I will spare no expense in ending your time here on earth.

Ike
3/21/2010, 01:14 AM
Total bill for kid numero uno: >20,000.
Amount paid out of pocket: ~ 200

Total bill for kiddo on the way: Not sure yet
Amount paid out of pocket under new insurance plan: ~ 2000

Incidentally, this new insurance plan we are on (through my new job) not only provides less coverage, but has higher premiums as well. by about 30%. Why? Mostly because I'm with a small business now, and not a ginormous university.

delhalew
3/21/2010, 01:15 AM
every women who is not a sociopath is haunted by it. I think the best anti-abortion billboard I ever saw is on I-40 in Oklahoma. It reads: Abortion. One dead. One wounded.

MR2-Sooner86
3/21/2010, 09:12 AM
I have a question for everybody here. Just out of curiosity.

I'm going to assume most of you believe life begins when the sperm meets the egg. With that said, should the "morning after" pill become illegal since it's a form of abortion?

BillyBall
3/21/2010, 09:15 AM
I thought this was going to be about Rick Pitino...

delhalew
3/21/2010, 10:10 AM

I'm going to assume most of you believe life begins when the sperm meets the egg. With that said, should the "morning after" pill become illegal since it's a form of abortion?

I'm more flexible on that, as my objection has nothing to do with religion. I do believed lifes "magic" has occured at he point of fertilization, but it's much easier for me to handle if something happens prior to heart and brain forming. Once you can see there is a baby in there, I am concerned about the presence of a little person in there. I can't explain or justify that, it's just how I feel.

JohnnyMack
3/21/2010, 10:23 AM
What about the fact that nearly half of all fertilizations self-abort? Whose fault is that? Jeebus the baby killer? Oh. Wait. It was, gods will. He had a plan.

delhalew
3/21/2010, 10:26 AM
What about the fact that nearly half of all fertilizations self-abort? Whose fault is that? Jeebus the baby killer? Oh. Wait. It was, gods will. He had a plan.

It's the natural order. It's going to happen. It would be nice if it happened less.

SoonerInKCMO
3/21/2010, 11:32 AM
every women who is not a sociopath is haunted by it. I think the best anti-abortion billboard I ever saw is on I-40 in Oklahoma. It reads: Abortion. One dead. One wounded.

When I was taking a psychopathology course at OU we had to write a paper based on a literature review of some subject of our choosing. I decided to research the relative emotional impacts on women who had abortions compared to those that had given children up for adoption. Turns out that giving a child up had, on average, slightly greater negative emotional impact than having an abortion. Of course, this was back in the day of closed adoptions; I'd expect different results looking at women involved in open adoptions.

bonkuba
5/3/2010, 11:49 PM

100% Correct on the plan portion.....the rest about Jesus as a baby killer.....wow....I would have a hard time even repeating to be honest.....but to each his own.

yermom
5/3/2010, 11:55 PM
When I was taking a psychopathology course at OU we had to write a paper based on a literature review of some subject of our choosing. I decided to research the relative emotional impacts on women who had abortions compared to those that had given children up for adoption. Turns out that giving a child up had, on average, slightly greater negative emotional impact than having an abortion. Of course, this was back in the day of closed adoptions; I'd expect different results looking at women involved in open adoptions.

that's because they never had to watch their baby's ultrasound beforehand ;)

Collier11
5/4/2010, 01:18 AM

Seems flawed to me, 1st, how do you measure the level of emotional impact, 2nd, how can you possibly compare the level of emotional impact, 3rd, how many studies did you research before writing that paper, 4th, were the women who were intereviewed meth and crackheads who used the money saved on raising a child to get high or were they good solid people or were they women who were raped or were they a mix?

yermom
5/4/2010, 08:28 AM
well, when they have been told it's "fetal tissue" they are getting vacuumed out vs. a baby that they have given away, i can see why the emotional impact might be different

King Barry's Back
5/4/2010, 09:09 AM
Is this a cost analysis of birth v. abortion? If one just takes the economic costs of raising kids versus abortion we would be at zero (or negative) population growth. OMG don't look at the long term cost of kids.

"If one just takes the economic costs of raising kids versus abortion we would be at zero (or negative) population growth."

Well, FWIW, Europe is already there.

OKC-SLC
5/4/2010, 09:27 AM
I wonder how much money it costs that same mother to give her child up for adoption?

Pricetag
5/4/2010, 09:30 AM

You're talking about all forms of hormonal birth control taken by the woman here, not just the morning after pill.

soonervegas
5/4/2010, 09:37 AM

Although a little on the harsh side, this is an interesting concept. As a society do we stress as much over nature doing the aborting? (I know the individual parent often does)

Do anti-abortion zealots push the medical establishment to find better ways to save more fetuses overall, or just the voluntarily aborted ones?

SoonerAtKU
5/4/2010, 09:39 AM
To echo Pricetag here, if you think the morning after pill is a form of abortion, then you lack a fundamental understanding of the reproductive cycle.

sooner_born_1960
5/4/2010, 09:41 AM
My understanding was that the classic birth control pill prevented ovulation. Thus, no egg to fertilize. Am I wrong?

Oldnslo
5/4/2010, 09:51 AM
I'm going to assume most of you believe life begins when the sperm meets the egg.

Nope. Your statement is incorrect. Under Jewish law, the fetus is a potential life, until the birthing process has gone long enough that the baby has crowned.

Under our law, the fetus is also a potential life until "quickening".

See, every time a sperm meets an egg, it's a genetic experiment that's never been tried before. Sometimes, those experiments don't work out just right.

OKC-SLC
5/4/2010, 10:37 AM
My understanding was that the classic birth control pill prevented ovulation. Thus, no egg to fertilize. Am I wrong?

This is correct. No fertilization has happened.

RU-486 cancels an already fertilized egg.

sooner_born_1960
5/4/2010, 10:44 AM

Thanks. I thought I was correct.

Jacie
5/4/2010, 11:43 AM
Strangely enough . . .

. . . the medication now known simply as "the pill" arrived on the market 50 years ago. It was the first birth-control method that did not require use in the heat of the moment, the first that could be used by a woman without her partner's knowledge or cooperation.

An estimated 12 million American women take the pill today and about 80% of women will use it at some time during their reproductive years. Its uses have moved far beyond the original intentions of its makers: Today it is given to cut the risk of uterine and ovarian cancer in high-risk women; to alleviate abnormally heavy or painful periods; to fight anemia; to stabilize mood; even to clear up acne.

But despite the freedom in career and family planning it extended to so many women and couples, the pill has not fulfilled one big hope. Fifty years on, about half of all pregnancies in the U.S. are unintended and 22% of pregnancies end in abortion.

from the article: 'The pill': 50 years after

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-sci-pill-20100504,0,2298488.story

If you are truly opposed to abortion then do something about it. Support sex education in our schools and I don't mean waiting till kids are already in highschool. That is too late. Teenagers know all about the mechanics of getting pregnant, the consequences of doing it, not so much. To make a difference you have to get to them early and often, middle school age at the latest.

Harry Beanbag
5/4/2010, 12:34 PM
Although a little on the harsh side, this is an interesting concept. As a society do we stress as much over nature doing the aborting? (I know the individual parent often does)

Do anti-abortion zealots push the medical establishment to find better ways to save more fetuses overall, or just the murdered ones?

Fixed. And you can't be serious by asking this question. :confused:

yermom
5/4/2010, 12:48 PM
do child abuse zealots try to prevent toddlers from falling down stairs?

Collier11
5/4/2010, 12:50 PM
When they are being pushed, sure

SoonerAtKU
5/4/2010, 12:55 PM

levonorgestrel prevents pregnancy either by stopping the ovulation process or by disrupting the ability of sperm and egg to meet in the fallopian tubes. Some speculate that the drug may prevent the fertilized egg from implanting as well, perhaps by making the uterine lining less receptive to the egg.

Once a fertilized egg implants, Plan B will have no effect. This explains why doctors advise women to take Plan B no later than 72 hours after unprotected sex -- the chances of it working are very low at that point.

You are incorrect. There is no way for the hormone responsible to "cancel" a zygote that is fully fertilized and implanted. It is not an abortion pill in any sense of the word.

OKC-SLC
5/4/2010, 03:29 PM
levonorgestrel prevents pregnancy either by stopping the ovulation process or by disrupting the ability of sperm and egg to meet in the fallopian tubes. Some speculate that the drug may prevent the fertilized egg from implanting as well, perhaps by making the uterine lining less receptive to the egg.

Once a fertilized egg implants, Plan B will have no effect. This explains why doctors advise women to take Plan B no later than 72 hours after unprotected sex -- the chances of it working are very low at that point.

You are incorrect. There is no way for the hormone responsible to "cancel" a zygote that is fully fertilized and implanted. It is not an abortion pill in any sense of the word.

Thanks for the lesson. I thought 'cancel' was more colloquial than using the term 'implantation'.

olevetonahill
5/4/2010, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the lesson. I thought 'cancel' was more colloquial than using the term 'implantation'.

Guess he showed you who knows More
Now dont you ferget it .:D