PDA

View Full Version : Stoops to host BSU's Petersen

OK2U
3/19/2010, 10:15 AM
Tulsa World:
Stoops welcomes Boise's Petersen to spring practice
3/19/2010 9:52:16 AM

College football coaches are quite possibly the proudest people in all of sports. So to read where Bob Stoops is hosting Boise State's Chris Petersen at Oklahoma's spring practices next week? The man who tortured Stoops at the 2007 Fiesta Bowl?

I guess that also makes college football quite possibly the hardest people to figure out in all of sports.

"Boise State football coach Chris Petersen said Thursday that he will visit Oregon and Oklahoma for professional development during spring break, which is March 27-April 4.

Both teams are practicing during Petersen’s visits. Boise State has picked up three of the biggest wins in school history during Petersen’s tenure against those two teams. The Ducks are known for their uptempo practices and the Sooners have one of the top programs in the nation.

“I just think Bob Stoops has done such a great job at Oklahoma over the years — he’s got his formula on success," Petersen, who will also visit Oregon, told the Idaho Statesman. "I just have a bunch of questions. And I want to watch how they practice.”

In return for OU's hospitality, Petersen will reportedly fork over a bag of the magic dust he sprinkled on his players before the Broncos' last two possessions at the Fiesta Bowl.

-- Guerin Emig

NormanPride
3/19/2010, 10:18 AM
I love how people still think that Boise team had no business being on the same field as us. Didn't they put like 10 people in the league off that team? And didn't we amazingly overachieve to just make it to the game?

Leroy Lizard
3/19/2010, 10:39 AM
The man who tortured Stoops at the 2007 Fiesta Bowl?

This is the typical fan view of football games. Coaches don't look at it this way. To Stoops, Peterson coached a team that beat us in a bowl game. It's not a personal deal at all. And that's pretty much the extent of it.

BoulderSooner79
3/19/2010, 10:40 AM
Yep. BSU was undefeated and ranked around 5 if I remember correctly. Meanwhile, we fielded our "smoke and mirrors*" team with our emergency QB who practiced at WR in the spring. We back-doored the conference title because Colt McCoy got hurt and the horns lost their last 2 games. But that's the price of being an elite team and having the "OU" logo instead of a "BSU" logo. I'll take that downside, but BSU's logo has grown a bunch since then.

*someone else on this board coined that phrase for that squad, but I thought it very accurate.

Leroy Lizard
3/19/2010, 10:45 AM
The ridiculous part was the legion of sportswriters who ranked BSU above OU, then claimed a major upset. What does that say about their ranking ability?

JLEW1818
3/19/2010, 10:50 AM
Boise State is a top 10 team of the decade. Probably number 10 actually

oudavid1
3/19/2010, 10:56 AM
Petersen is a good guy, great coach. And sense the finally went out and scheduled decent games (Oregon State, Virginia Tech) I guess we could give him a little credit. But still, Oregon State is like our OSU and Va Tech is like our Texas A&M(They will be good next year). Schedule OU you pansies!

Fraggle145
3/19/2010, 11:22 AM
Petersen is a good guy, great coach. And sense the finally went out and scheduled decent games (Oregon State, Virginia Tech) I guess we could give him a little credit. But still, Oregon State is like our OSU and Va Tech is like our Texas A&M(They will be good next year). Schedule OU you pansies!

Uh... We said no to that one. They wanted a home and home if i remebr correctly. or maybe even a 2 for 1. Basically we just werent going out there.

yermom
3/19/2010, 11:37 AM
seems they turned us down on a 2 for 1 deal

Fraggle145
3/19/2010, 11:40 AM

Ah i thought we turned them down. :confused:

budbarrybob
3/19/2010, 11:46 AM
I thought we Both turned it down? :confused:

yermom
3/19/2010, 11:49 AM
that may have been a while ago. because now i think they are even having trouble getting just away games

OKLA21FAN
3/19/2010, 11:51 AM

every mid major was offered a 2 for 1 dealio according to Joe C in the summer of 2006 and Potato State did not respond (unlike Tulsa and TCU)

rawlingsHOH
3/19/2010, 12:18 PM
I love how people still think that Boise team had no business being on the same field as us. Didn't they put like 10 people in the league off that team? And didn't we amazingly overachieve to just make it to the game?

Yes. Those teams were as even as the score indicated. And hell, it was only a 7-point spread leading into the game. Not even close to a monumental upset.

rawlingsHOH
3/19/2010, 12:19 PM
In return for OU's hospitality, Petersen will reportedly fork over a bag of the magic dust he sprinkled on his players before the Broncos' last two possessions at the Fiesta Bowl.

So we've got that going for us!

soonerloyal
3/19/2010, 12:26 PM

Throw in a cupful of swagger, and we'll be all set. :rolleyes:

Fraggle145
3/19/2010, 01:00 PM
every mid major was offered a 2 for 1 dealio according to Joe C in the summer of 2006 and Potato State did not respond (unlike Tulsa and TCU)

Perhaps what happened is they offered us a 1 for 1 after they beat us, which we promptly declined. But then we offered the 2 for 1 and they declined.

madillsoonerfan5353
3/19/2010, 01:40 PM
Throw in a cupful of swagger, and we'll be all set. :rolleyes:

I think we got this part covered with some on this team! :D

Jacie
3/19/2010, 03:51 PM
A win against Oklahoma by anyone other than one of OUr peer programs (debate over which ones those are I leave for another thread) is a major upset, a season-maker, possible job-saver, once in a career event for most, so take it for the compliment it is and move on.

GKeeper316
3/19/2010, 03:58 PM

agreed... boise had the oldest team in div 1 that year (loaded with seniors and juniors who had been playing together for 4-5 years) while the sooners were the 4th youngest, with a ton of freshmen and sophomores. i try to make that point whenever some dbag puke i work with brings up that game, and hear the same ****... excuses and *******s or some such nonsense.

Collier11
3/19/2010, 04:14 PM
Everyone in the natl media seems to forget we were the lower ranked team and I think we were the underdog as well although im not certain on that part

SoonerLB
3/19/2010, 04:32 PM
Hope Bob takes that bag of magic dust and makes it a feed bag for KW!
Just sayin' ..... ;)

Doyen
3/19/2010, 04:41 PM
Everyone in the natl media seems to forget we were the lower ranked team and I think we were the underdog as well although im not certain on that part

the general Vegas line had OU favorited by 8.5

Collier11
3/19/2010, 04:46 PM
Yea, I wasnt certain, I knew they were higher ranked. Notice how I said I wasnt certain :D

Jdog
3/19/2010, 05:11 PM
Think it might behoove BS to visit BSU practices.

meoveryouxinfinity
3/19/2010, 06:07 PM
the real embarrassing game was against WVU. Yuck.

Dan Thompson
3/19/2010, 06:14 PM
Which goal post are they going to host him on?

Leroy Lizard
3/19/2010, 08:01 PM
Hoist?

Sooner-N-KS
3/19/2010, 08:25 PM
Hope Bob takes that bag of magic dust and makes it a feed bag for KW!
Just sayin' ..... ;)

+1

rawlingsHOH
3/19/2010, 09:50 PM
the general Vegas line had OU favorited by 8.5

i had 7

JLEW1818
3/19/2010, 10:34 PM
Do you think he will drop the statute of liberty joke?:eek:

HBick
3/23/2010, 05:44 PM
All right, sorry for getting to this topic so late today, but last night at Othello's on Campus Corner I was up there at the bar. Directly behind me, were Kevin Wilson, Josh Heupel, and a few other OU coaches (3 I think). Interesting part is there were other coaches there, not just Boise St. There was a guy from Ohio St. as well. And someone else, I obviously didn't want to be rude, but I couldn't tell where he was from.

It was interesting to say the least.

Oh and edit, I think it's a classy thing to do, I think there is a mutual respect between all these programs, and while OU fans may hold a grudge (like me for example), I'm glad that our coaching staff doesn't come across like some other major programs.

NMSooner'80
3/23/2010, 06:21 PM

It's really brutal if you live in a "non-BCS" area like I do. The locals are still feasting on that win, as if it had ONE thing to do with UNM or NMSU. And, the way they like to tell it, OU was about a 25-point favorite and got spanked, when it was a one-point game and the other team was higher-ranked. :mad: :mad:

That's one big reason I still hold a grudge about it - not to mention that I was there. I also got the impression that most Potato Aggy fans were dooshes, and I've read testimonials to that effect since then.

yermom
3/23/2010, 07:16 PM
all the Boise State fans i ran into seemed pretty cool and just happy to be there.

Florida fans on the other hand... they seemed to be the douchiest i've run into at a bowl game

boomermagic
3/24/2010, 11:02 AM
the real embarrassing game was against WVU. Yuck.

The usc game was the worst IMO..

Collier11
3/24/2010, 12:07 PM

what game?

Harry Beanbag
3/24/2010, 01:15 PM

I don't recall the game you are talking about, but the West Virginia Fiesta Bowl is the only Sooner football game I've ever turned off out of pure disgust.

Collier11
3/24/2010, 01:19 PM
I drove to that stupid azzed game, 20 hours my friend

Harry Beanbag
3/24/2010, 03:02 PM
I drove to that stupid azzed game, 20 hours my friend

After the Boise game the year before, we decided not to drive the 1 hour to that stupid azzed game. Good decision.

Collier11
3/24/2010, 03:15 PM
that was the worst trip ive ever been on even without the fball game

Leroy Lizard
3/24/2010, 03:38 PM

What did you expect with Gibbs head coaching?