PDA

View Full Version : Marines...got a question...

StoopTroup
3/18/2010, 06:58 PM
Next door neighbor kid saw a recruiter the other day. He scored high enough to join the Marines but to low for the Air Force. Anyway...the recruiter asked him if he had ever broken any bones. He told him no then remembered he had. I guess he was nervous and afraid he'd get turned down. Anyway....won't that show up if they do a physical and x-ray his arms or legs or would it serve to get him ousted later if he got hurt and they did an x-ray and saw the previous unreported break?

The Kid has been raised by his Mother and the new Step Father had tried to steer him best he could...but he got in trouble 2 or 3 years ago and went to Thunderbird Academy. He's got himself squared away now but I think he's worried that he might be found as a liar now.

Any advice?

I guess it doesn't necessarily need to be just a Marines view on this...

TIA

SoonerKnight
3/18/2010, 07:12 PM
Yes. Tell him to call the recruiter and discuss it with him. Broken bones no big deal besides they do not x-ray you during the physical and later on if he does get x-rayed I doubt they gonna care either way. Also if he wants to get into the Air Force tell him to go down to the book store and buy a asvab test book to study and retake the test and see if he does better. He the might get into Air Force.

fadada1
3/18/2010, 09:27 PM
unless they've changed things, first day in boot camp they have a "moment of truth." basically a scare tactic if you falsified any info, lied about drug use, lied about arrests, etc... if it's big enough, they'll find out in your first wizz quiz anyway. just a last minute chance for you to get out without a BCD.

a broken bone will not keep him out of any service, unless he's going into a special community (spec warfare)... and even then it would have to be severe beyond belief.

C&CDean
3/18/2010, 09:36 PM
I went into the 82nd Airborne after let's see...

13 broken bones in one motorcycle wreck...
2 broken collar bones
both wrists broken - one of them twice
broken nose I don't know how many times
broken skull twice
every finger on both hands broken in fights/motorcycle wrecks
staph infection resulting in major surgery on my hand/arm
hernia surgery

This was all before I turned 17.

I think the Corps will take him. Hell, when I went in I tried to go into the Navy. The recruiter goes "no high school diploma? hmmmm... go next door, the Marines will take you. They love 17 year old armed robbers..." I saw the "Go Airborne!!" poster down the hall at the Army recruiter and never looked back. Thank God for the military.

olevetonahill
3/18/2010, 09:36 PM
Tell him to fess up , The others have hit it right .
No big deal, But he dont want to be labeled

fadada1
3/18/2010, 09:37 PM
I went into the 82nd Airborne after let's see...

13 broken bones in one motorcycle wreck...
2 broken collar bones
both wrists broken - one of them twice
broken nose I don't know how many times
broken skull twice
every finger on both hands broken in fights/motorcycle wrecks
staph infection resulting in major surgery on my hand/arm
hernia surgery

This was all before I turned 17.

I think the Corps will take him. Hell, when I went in I tried to go into the Navy. The recruiter goes "no high school diploma? hmmmm... go next door, the Marines will take you. They love 17 year old armed robbers..." I saw the "Go Airborne!!" poster down the hall at the Army recruiter and never looked back. Thank God for the military.

reminds me of the story about the dog named "lucky".:D

C&CDean
3/18/2010, 09:39 PM
You don't even know the half of it.

GKeeper316
3/18/2010, 10:48 PM
its no big deal. just tell him to call his recruiter with the updated info and hes good to go.

he may have to get a doctor's waiver stating that the bone healed just fine and that he suffers no ill effect from it, but it isnt likely.

also, tell him to wait on leaving for boot till after the summer. if he scored that low on the asvab, he will likely end up with a combat mos, and those schools are brutal in the middle of summer.

Harry Beanbag
3/19/2010, 02:01 AM
In Navy boot camp there was an entire unit of people on med hold, many of them for lying about their medical history and being found out. Some were there for many weeks waiting to be discharged. The most important quality to have in the military is integrity, tell him to call his recruiter and set it straight.

Sooner in Tampa
3/19/2010, 08:19 AM
unless they've changed things, first day in boot camp they have a "moment of truth." basically a scare tactic if you falsified any info, lied about drug use, lied about arrests, etc... if it's big enough, they'll find out in your first wizz quiz anyway.
A "few" yrs ago ;) when I was at MCRD the moment of truth came towards the end of second phase...but same deal, scare the **** outta you to fess up any last minute details

Ditto what everyone else said, the Marine Corps won't let a broken keep them of getting their hands on strong young man ready to server his country

Tell him God Bless...and SEMPER FI

XingTheRubicon
3/19/2010, 08:33 AM
I believe even an old break will show some calcination build up...I'm not sure if that's the exact terminology but yes, he should do the right thing and let them know.

SunnySooner
3/19/2010, 08:44 AM
I once had a chest xray for something or other, and the doc asked me when I broke my collarbone. I said never. He said "Yeah, ya did, see this?" and he showed me on my xray where it had healed. Weird, I never even knew.

GKeeper316
3/19/2010, 03:38 PM
A "few" yrs ago ;) when I was at MCRD the moment of truth came towards the end of second phase...but same deal, scare the **** outta you to fess up any last minute details

Ditto what everyone else said, the Marine Corps won't let a broken keep them of getting their hands on strong young man ready to server his country

Tell him God Bless...and SEMPER FI

when i was in (march 92) it came the first day we got dropped into our training platoon.

Sooner in Tampa
3/19/2010, 05:14 PM
when i was in (march 92) it came the first day we got dropped into our training platoon.
Yeah...we had that one (Oct 85)...then there was the final one while we were finishing up 2nd phase

fadada1
3/19/2010, 10:02 PM
did navy boot camp in '93. easiest 2 months of winter (in orlando) i could've asked for. i actually got OUT OF SHAPE (compared to where i was). was expecting much more.... until i saw some of the folks i was training with. didn't go in the navy to be a sailor... was there for more serious training at a later date. they let me in that with smoking mary jane. admitted it, had to do some talking, only had done it once (seriously), and didn't do it again until after discharge.

he'll be fine if he admits it before training.