PDA

View Full Version : level 30 professor pwns n00bs

yermom
3/18/2010, 09:48 AM
http://www.itnews.com.au/News/169862,employers-look-to-gaming-to-motivate-staff.aspx

Last year, Sheldon replaced the traditional grading system in two of his game design classes with a system that is based on experience points (XP), which were typically used to track progress in role-playing games.

Students commenced the program as avatars at level one, which corresponded to zero XP and a grade of 'F'. They gained XP by completing 'quests', 'fighting monsters' and 'crafting'-- in other words, giving presentations, sitting quizzes and exams, and handing in projects.

as dumb as this originally sounds, i think i would have loved this type of thing in school. imagine being a level 6 in reading, but level 8 in math but you are stuck in 3rd grade and being dragged down by your age and class (that's just an example, but i was easily a few levels ahead and behind in some subjects at many points in school)

NormanPride
3/18/2010, 10:59 AM
I've got a stupid fetch quest that I need to turn in tomorrow. Typical "get x number of problems right" quest with low rewards. Ugh. Then my physics prof wants me to craft a system to demonstrate the loss of energy in a simple process. I swear, this is the third time in as many weeks. Then I've got to rep-grind the Pi-Phis so I can get access to their ample loot tables if you pardon the phrase... And on Saturday there's the big PvP event versus the bastards from Lubbock. They have ****ty gear and I hear their teamwork is crap, but they've always got some trick up their sleeves.

You're right, that would kick ***. :D

C&CDean
3/18/2010, 11:07 AM
Let me know when you geeks start speaking English.

NormanPride
3/18/2010, 11:20 AM
Let me convert it to Potterese:

"McGonnagal's making me do this silly divination assignment. Typical "read the seals on x number of divinations" bunk that has no merit. Then Flitwick wants me to conjure this flower with red petals that can sing. I swear, this is the third time in as many weeks. After that I need to spend some time with the gardening club so I can have a shot at their luscious petals if you pardon the phrase... And on Saturday is the big quidditch game against those bastards from Slytherin. They have ****ty brooms and their teamwork is crap, but they've always got some spell up their robes."

Better? :D

badger
3/18/2010, 12:07 PM
And now to convert it into Twilightese:

(baj bans self before carrying through)

C&CDean
3/18/2010, 12:41 PM
Let me convert it to Potterese:

"McGonnagal's making me do this silly divination assignment. Typical "read the seals on x number of divinations" bunk that has no merit. Then Flitwick wants me to conjure this flower with red petals that can sing. I swear, this is the third time in as many weeks. After that I need to spend some time with the gardening club so I can have a shot at their luscious petals if you pardon the phrase... And on Saturday is the big quidditch game against those bastards from Slytherin. They have ****ty brooms and their teamwork is crap, but they've always got some spell up their robes."

Better? :D

Everyone knows that Professor Flitwick teaches Charms. If there was a flower to be conjured that would have to be Professor Sprout from Herbology. Now if you said the professor said "make this flower hover" then you'd have been OK.

You have not scored high enough on your O.W.L.s to be an Auror young man. Perhaps you have a future in something less challenging - say Gamekeeper?

NormanPride
3/18/2010, 01:21 PM
**** yes, gamekeeper is the do-nothing job. Aurors get killed by Voldy. F that noise.

soonerscuba
3/18/2010, 01:37 PM
LLLLLEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYYY A-JENKIS.

yermom
3/18/2010, 02:09 PM
at least you have your chicken

StoopTroup
3/18/2010, 06:50 PM
8-DfrUDHEUs

Crucifax Autumn
3/18/2010, 10:34 PM
I've got a stupid fetch quest that I need to turn in tomorrow. Typical "get x number of problems right" quest with low rewards. Ugh. Then my physics prof wants me to craft a system to demonstrate the loss of energy in a simple process. I swear, this is the third time in as many weeks. Then I've got to rep-grind the Pi-Phis so I can get access to their ample loot tables if you pardon the phrase... And on Saturday there's the big PvP event versus the bastards from Lubbock. They have ****ty gear and I hear their teamwork is crap, but they've always got some trick up their sleeves.

You're right, that would kick ***. :D

One of my favorite posts EVER. :D :D :D

GKeeper316
3/18/2010, 10:53 PM
as an addict of online gaming, i approve of this thread.

and there's nothing wrong with thinking outside the box if it gets kids to learn.