PDA

View Full Version : 3 ESPN articles on the OU D......

Salt City Sooner
3/16/2010, 03:14 PM
The Hammer:

NORMAN, Okla. -- Ronnell Lewis probably could have danced to celebrate his special teams dominance of Stanford in the Sun Bowl -- twice leveling kick returners and making everyone who watched wince. He could have done it again when he slammed Cardinal fullback Owen Marecic to the turf after an incomplete pass later in the game.

He didn’t. Didn’t do it after plowing full-speed into Kansas receiver Dezmon Briscoe’s chest on a return earlier in the season, either. That hit, Lewis’ favorite as a Sooner, forced Briscoe briefly to the sidelines while the Jayhawk offense took the field.

No one would have blamed him for pumping a fist or screaming at his opponent lying below him. But he backed off, and even a parade of helmet slaps and playful shoulder shoves from teammates could barely slow his retreat to the huddle or sideline, each time itching to do it again.

“I go out there and hit and that’s all the talking I do,” Lewis said. “I’m no trash talker.”

Lewis, a sophomore, could get a lot more chances to do his talking in 2010, with two linebacker spots vacated by Ryan Reynolds and Keenan Clayton. Lewis is working at both inside and outside linebacker this spring, and could permanently assume one of those spots this fall.

“He’ll be a big part of what we’re doing,” said defensive coordinator Brent Venables. “We’d be fools not to include him.”

Lewis’ persona, one Venables labels “mature” and “low maintenance,” stems from his roots in Dewar, Okla., the 919-person town where Lewis played eight-man football until his senior season, when the team upgraded to the 11-man game. Lewis treks 100 miles west virtually every weekend, back to the people he grew up around and a son he’s helping grow up.

“He doesn’t have a real big social network,” Venables said. “When he’s not doing school or football, that’s where he is.”

His family, friends and Dewar natives don’t recognize him as “The Hammer,” the nickname Lewis’ hits earned him and one he calls just “all right.” But when he is recognized in Norman or Oklahoma City, the country kid in him takes over, the one who wouldn’t dare be rude to a stranger, provided they weren’t trying to return a kickoff.

“All I can do is tip my hat and say, ‘Thanks,’” he said. “That was then. This is now. I’m looking forward to next season.”

For Lewis, it would be tough not to want 2010 to arrive quickly. It could be the one that establishes him as another great Oklahoma linebacker.

“He’s helped us by picking things up a lot better,” Venables said. “We talked about that today -- what it’s like sitting in the meeting room today versus last spring, and he’ll continue that development and making those leaps and bounds of improvement mentally. That will transition to physical play, to be more sure of himself and be more consistent.”

Getting a chance to showcase that improvement will mean a spring and fall spent proving he’s the one who should be sitting atop one of the depth chart spots at linebacker for a talented corps which also features the more experienced juniors Travis Lewis and Austin Box, as well as sophomores Jaydan Bird and Daniel Franklin.

“It’s one thing to go out there on special teams … and occasionally get out there when you’re ahead by three touchdowns,” Venables said. “It’s another thing to prepare and invest and play at a high level. It takes a lot -- it takes a huge commitment and the discipline to do it with consistency every day. It is a process. If anywhere along the line guys don’t invest in the process, you’ll get exposed.”

If that preparation goes as Venables hopes it does, and 2010 is a season of success for the sophomore linebacker, Lewis won’t be the one letting everyone know it.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/11100/reserved-lewis-shooting-for-starter

The LB's overall:

NORMAN, Okla. -- Oklahoma probably won't be able to replace fifth-year senior Ryan Reynolds' experience or leadership at middle linebacker. Keenan Clayton's speed (4.57 40-yard dash), as a safety-turned-linebacker won't come, either.

Now, the young players stepping into starting roles will try to showcase their irreplaceable attributes.

Junior Travis Lewis is the only returning starter, but defensive coordinator Brent Venables can't even guarantee that spot isn't up for grabs. Lewis was named the Big 12 Newcomer of the Year as a freshman, but had 109 tackles in 2009, 35 fewer than his total in 2008.

"I don’t necessarily have anybody [as a starter]. Maybe Travis," Venables said. "You’ve got to earn it on the field."

Ronnell Lewis, who you might remember from earlier today, is the headliner among a crop of linebackers fighting for playing time this spring. Redshirt freshman Tom Wort, No. 85 on the 2009 ESPNU 150, is returning from a torn ACL suffered last fall and isn't quite at 100 percent yet. Junior Austin Box is the most likely to get in the mix immediately, and has started six games in his first two seasons. Sophomore Daniel Franklin and another converted safety, Joseph Ibiloye, will battle for reps this spring while still working some at safety. Sophomore Jaydan Bird, a 6-foot-1, 227-pounder, could also find playing time with an impressive spring.

But where any of them end up playing is as big of a mystery as who's playing.

"We got guys playing everywhere," Venables said. "Box playing all three. Franklin all three; Ronnell's playing two, plus pass rush. Ibiloye has played Will and Sam [both outside linebacker positions]. Trying to see who it’s easy for and trying to develop depth. Try to get guys ready to play."

For Ronnell Lewis, who most likely figures to play inside, that's just fine. Of course, he hopes to start, but where he is on the field and the depth chart isn't of prime concern.

"Special teams, defense, coming in on defense, it doesn’t matter where I am," he said.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/11113/ou-linebackers-ready-for-showcase-still-shifting

Our new DB coach, Willie Martinez:

NORMAN, Okla. -- Willie Martinez is the only new member of Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops’ staff this season.

“You come in here as a new coach, you really don’t know the entire history, all the reps the players had for three years, whether it’s good or bad, as you progress,” Martinez said.

But Martinez says his unique position, one not often afforded to brand-new position coaches, puts him at an advantage. He’ll get daily help uncovering that history from the man who coached Martinez’s defensive backs last year, Bobby Jack Wright.

Wright moved over to coach defensive ends in place of Chris Wilson, who left Norman for Starkville, Miss. to become the co-defensive coordinator for Mississippi State.

Additionally, he joins the staff of a head coach, Stoops, who also coached defensive backs at Kansas State before moving on to coordinate defenses for the Wildcats and later, Florida.

“That’s one of the things I love about this situation,” said Martinez, who coached the secondary at Georgia from 2001-04 before taking over as defensive coordinator from 2005-09.

“Guys want to compete. They know coach has coached that position. It’s nothing but positive.”

He’ll take over a secondary stocked with both young and experienced talent, and one that allowed just 179.7 yards per game in 2009, third fewest in the Big 12 and less than a yard more than the No. 1 pass defense in the Big 12, Nebraska. It also gave up just 11 passing touchdowns, the second fewest in the league.

“Our expectation is high,” Martinez said. “This is Oklahoma and we expect to be the best.”

Both safeties, senior Quinton Carter and junior Sam Proctor, return. Senior Jonathan Nelson, who started at safety late last season and had interceptions in the Sooners’ final three games, will press for playing time alongside sophomores Marcus Trice and Joseph Ibiloye. Nelson has also played cornerback, and sophomore Demontre Hurst showed potential as a freshman. Redshirt freshman Gabe Lynn, No. 81 on the 2009 ESPNU 150 and the No. 8 defensive back, could also get early playing time.

And though Martinez says he’s still embracing the feeling-out stage of his new position, as the spring moves on, there’s a good chance he’ll like what he sees.

“We’re not going to do anything different. This is about Oklahoma. I’m going to coach the way I know how to coach, but I’m going to coach within the system,” he said. “There’s differences in fundamentals, techniques, but really at the end of the day, this is Oklahoma and I’m going to coach the Oklahoma way.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/11103/new-ou-coach-relishing-unique-position

BoulderSooner79
3/16/2010, 03:32 PM
“I go out there and hit and that’s all the talking I do,” (Ronnell) Lewis said. “I’m no trash talker.”

Nothing wrong with a little friendly trash talk, but it is refreshing to have a player who takes a quieter approach.

yermom
3/16/2010, 03:35 PM
i had kinda forgotten Ronnell Lewis' story, and that he was the one that had "hammered" Briscoe in Lawrence

he was certainly a beast in El Paso. we always seem to find some badass to play linebacker at OU

OK2U
3/16/2010, 03:42 PM
now 4 stories...
http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/11106/mccoys-effects-still-felt-at-ou

NORMAN, Okla. -- Defensive tackle Gerald McCoy said goodbye to Oklahoma, his home state, when his junior season ended. That doesn’t mean he’s gone. His former teammates are still feeling the effects of the 298-pound possible No. 1 pick’s wake.

Jamarkus McFarland spent plenty of time learning from the star from his front-row seat in practice.

“When someone leaves then you have to fill those shoes,” McFarland said. “Automatically when you come into Oklahoma you have that leadership role branded in you somewhere. You just have to bring it out when the time is needed.”

McFarland came to Oklahoma last season at No. 54 in the ESPNU 150, the Sooners highest-rated recruit of the 2009 class.

He appeared in just seven games as a freshman, but notched 2.5 sacks and eight tackles. With McCoy moving on, he’s the likely replacement, and McFarland says all it takes to drain some additional advice from McCoy, an All-Big 12 performer and Lombardi Award finalist, is a phone call.

McCoy’s biggest impact doesn’t come during those conversations. It came when he was still the campus celebrity patrolling Norman, another role McFarland hopes to assume.

“I take what he does in the games, I take what he does in practice, what he does in the locker room, what he does at home, what he does in the media,” McFarland said. “I piece it piece-by-piece and see what I can take out of it to take his personality that’s got him to where he wants to be right now.”

For McFarland, duplicating McCoy’s 15.5 tackles for loss and six sacks last season will be difficult. But replacing the more intangible aspects of McCoy’s persona is on McFarland’s list, too.

“He was known just as much on campus as he was on the field, and that’s the way I want to be,” McFarland said. “I don’t want to be 97. I want to be known as Jamarkus McFarland, as a good person off the field just as on the field like he was.”

KantoSooner
3/16/2010, 03:52 PM
Give Tom Wort a bionic knee!!! I want to see more of him hitting people like an air-to-air missile.

soonerfan28
3/16/2010, 03:58 PM
We have a Lewis inside and one outside. They might both be on the outside. Wouldn't mind seeing them blitzing together from each side.

E-Town
3/16/2010, 04:23 PM
Hammer time!

Crucifax Autumn
3/16/2010, 04:28 PM
All this makes me happy and excited.

icmwhOU72
3/16/2010, 04:35 PM
i hope our starting lbs are Will t. lewis Mike T wort Sam R lewis. I wonder what BV meant when he said that ronnell was practicing a two lb positions and a rush position. Tha would be awesome if we had a nickle package where we subbed out a dt and slid frank down to a three tech and macfaland in the one gap and had beal and lewis as stand up DE's. and then we could bring pressure from anywhere. we could drop the two stand up ends into coverage and send corners or safeties or the other backers. That would be nasty.

OK2U
3/16/2010, 04:38 PM
Beal and R. Lewis roaming in ^ package gives me football wood.

bmjlr
3/16/2010, 04:57 PM
This says it all...

“Our expectation is high,” Martinez said. “This is Oklahoma and we expect to be the best.”

Only 172 days left!!! BOOMER!

ouduckhunter
3/16/2010, 05:47 PM
The Hammer!! I think that he may become my new favorite player!! :)

pappy
3/16/2010, 08:28 PM
I'm very excited about this defense! football season seems so far away, but I'm looking forward to going to the spring game in a month.

hawaii 5-0
3/16/2010, 09:41 PM
I was upset when Stoops converted BJ Wright from DE coach to DB coach. Now with Chris Wilson gone, Wright has gone back to coaching DEs and Stoops hired a real DB coach. Great move, Bob.
Welcome to the Sooners, Willie Martinez.

KantoSooner
3/17/2010, 08:24 AM
I used to get all happy when Bosworth and co would group up and howl like animals after a sack.
I'd like this group to revert to that level.

goingoneight
3/17/2010, 11:30 AM
I'm not really sure howling after a big play would be so great with all of the crybaby celebration rules in place today.

SoonerPr8r
3/17/2010, 01:06 PM
Now that Tim Griffin is gone it looks like we may get some decent articles about OU and a lot fewer journalistic fellatios for the worns

Sooner04
3/17/2010, 01:40 PM
Lewis treks 100 miles west virtually every weekend
Where's he going? Clinton?

yermom
3/17/2010, 02:00 PM
see, when i read "West" i thought it sounded funny, because i thought he was from Eastern OK

indeed, Dewar is East not West

NormanPride
3/17/2010, 02:43 PM
Everything is West from ESPN.

Jello Biafra
3/17/2010, 03:11 PM
dt and slid frank down to a three tech and macfaland in the one gap and had beal and lewis as stand up DE's. .

am i to assume you meant a 3 point stance? franks at the 3 TECH would be very ugly...and a battle that i doubt he wins often if at all...

Scott D
3/17/2010, 03:33 PM
am i to assume you meant a 3 point stance? franks at the 3 TECH would be very ugly...and a battle that i doubt he wins often if at all...

psst...I think he means Frank Alexander.

Scott D
3/17/2010, 03:34 PM
We have a Lewis inside and one outside. They might both be on the outside. Wouldn't mind seeing them blitzing together from each side.

here's what happens. Ronnell hits the QB, Travis gives up after being chipped by the halfback.

Jello Biafra
3/17/2010, 03:37 PM
psst...I think he means Frank Alexander.

;) yep i was joking...i knew who he meant....still yet, the more i think of it, the more it is STILL true...alexander would be giving up a minimum of 40lbs and likely fighting a double team...

Scott D
3/17/2010, 03:44 PM
well I could be wrong, but conceptually is that if McFarland is all he was cracked up to be as a recruit, he'll pull the double every time.

Jello Biafra
3/17/2010, 04:06 PM
well I could be wrong, but conceptually is that if McFarland is all he was cracked up to be as a recruit, he'll pull the double every time.

so the other lineman stand around and??? what i thought he was talking about was moving alexander down to a 3 tech and dropping both of the other dends into coverage which would leave a minumum of 5 lineman vs...2 dlineman...did i mis read that?

Scott D
3/17/2010, 04:49 PM
maybe I read it wrong but I saw it as Alexander and McFarland with hands on the ground, with Beal and R. Lewis in upright rush positions one of them out a bit wider as in a backer role.

GKeeper316
3/17/2010, 05:17 PM
Give Tom Wort a bionic knee!!! I want to see more of him hitting people like an air-to-air missile.

ya hes a head ripper.

i dont think our d will be a question at all this year... just the o

PLaw
3/17/2010, 09:56 PM
Corrected . . . .

i had kinda forgotten Ronnell Lewis' story, and that he was the one that had "hammered" Briscoe in Lawrence

he was certainly a beast in El Paso. we always seem to find some badass to play linebacker and win the Butkus at OU

BOOMER

Salt City Sooner
3/17/2010, 10:51 PM
Yeah, it's getting to be about time for another one; Lehman was the last & that was '03.

SGT Park3R
3/18/2010, 05:59 AM
Awesome news articles! Man every time I get on this site I get pumped to watch some Sooner football. I love it.

icmwhOU72
3/18/2010, 09:53 AM
OK here is what i meant sorry for the confusing post. The package i am talking about is a nickle pack against a four wr set. JMac in a weakside 1 between gaurd and center. Frank in a stong 3 between the gaurd and tackle. Beal and Lewis as stand up fives on either side. If they double frank then that would leave either beal or lewis (whoever is on the strong side) one on one with a rband that is a huge mismatch. I garuntee that they would not be able to double frank and i think he could take on a gaurd. As for the weight difference typically tackles are the biggest boys on the block so moving frank inside wont be that big of a mismatch. so if the coaches wanted to send both ronnell and beal off the edge and drop everyone else in coverage they could. If we wanted to play a zone coverage we could drop beal and ronnell into coverage and bring any or all of the following, wort, t lew, iboliye (our nickle lb) hurst, nelson, carter and whoever wins the other starting safty/corner jobs. i just think that we would be super athletic and we could do whatever we wanted as a blitz package.

boomermagic
3/22/2010, 10:12 AM
i hope our starting lbs are Will t. lewis Mike T wort Sam R lewis. I wonder what BV meant when he said that ronnell was practicing a two lb positions and a rush position. Tha would be awesome if we had a nickle package where we subbed out a dt and slid frank down to a three tech and macfaland in the one gap and had beal and lewis as stand up DE's. and then we could bring pressure from anywhere. we could drop the two stand up ends into coverage and send corners or safeties or the other backers. That would be nasty.

If Ronnell is going to be rushing/Blitzing the qb's there may not be many left in the Big 12 by Bowl time..

rawlingsHOH
3/22/2010, 10:59 AM
maybe I read it wrong but I saw it as Alexander and McFarland with hands on the ground, with Beal and R. Lewis in upright rush positions one of them out a bit wider as in a backer role.

Yes, we've done this a bit in both 08 and 09 with Beal/English/Alexander.

Sometimes playing 2 stand-up rush ends, and only two guys with their hands on the ground.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/22/2010, 11:12 AM

its probably just a more flexible version of the spinner. whereas previously we tried to get dan cody 1 on 1 with a running back, this will be a lot more flexible in who we can get 1 on 1 with the running back.