PDA

View Full Version : So I need a plumber...

Fraggle145
3/15/2010, 05:25 PM
FML.

When I flush the toilets the water flows out of the shower drains.

This has happened once before, but I was able to clean the clog with some plunging, some baking soda, vinegar, and a pot of hot water.

I've tried to snake it, but apparently I'm not using the snake correctly, because I cant get it to past the bend in the pipe no matter how hard I push it. I dont think the clog is there because when I pull it back there is nothing on the end of it.

So any of you bastages a plumber in Norman? Or got any other ideas? :pop:

yermom
3/15/2010, 05:37 PM
these guys were awesome for me after that last ice storm:

Bob's Plumbing
2656 Classen Blvd, Norman, OK 73071
(405) 329-1178

but that sounds like sewer problem... i've been hearing Roto Rooter is the best place to call for that

i also hear good things about this stuff:

http://www.rootx.com/

Breadburner
3/15/2010, 06:12 PM
I think your main is where your trouble lies....Is there a cleanout outside.....

Fraggle145
3/15/2010, 06:24 PM
I think your main is where your trouble lies....Is there a cleanout outside.....

I'm sure there is, but I don't really know what it would look like.

yermom
3/15/2010, 06:27 PM
a capped pipe that you can open

like this: http://www.fairfield-city.org/images/ww/Yard%20Cleanout%20Cap.JPG

i'm not sure what he wants you to do with it though :D

Flagstaffsooner
3/15/2010, 06:29 PM
Sounds more like the vent. Snake it from the roof.

Fraggle145
3/15/2010, 06:39 PM
a capped pipe that you can open

like this: http://www.fairfield-city.org/images/ww/Yard%20Cleanout%20Cap.JPG

i'm not sure what he wants you to do with it though :D

Well I could open it up and snake it towards the house... If I could find the damn thing.

I have no idea what flag is talking about though. :confused:

yermom
3/15/2010, 06:41 PM
i guess you could also tell if it's clogged between there and the house or there and the city line

Scott D
3/15/2010, 07:27 PM
Well I could open it up and snake it towards the house... If I could find the damn thing.

I have no idea what flag is talking about though. :confused:

look on the roof in the vicinity of your bathroom. There should be a black pipe sticking out of the roof. That's the vent..if by some strange act of nature you've got a blockage in there it'd prevent air from getting where it needs to go to push the water flow where it needs to be.

sooner ngintunr
3/15/2010, 07:54 PM
I'm guessing you are not on septic because the answer would be rather obvious.

Fraggle145
3/15/2010, 08:21 PM
Nah I live on boyd street, we are on city sewer. The problem is I have 3 bathrooms, so I am not sure which one would have the vent. At this point I think I am just going to say **** it, pay the man to do his job and have him tell me where that **** is so that I can do it next time.

sooner ngintunr
3/15/2010, 08:26 PM
yep. Sometimes calling a plumber is not a bad thing to do.

Williesan
3/15/2010, 08:49 PM
Fraggle - having a cleanout outside the house is dependant on how old the house is. If it was built before the mid-to-late 70's, more than likely you either don't have a cleanout or it's buried deep in the yard on the main line. Most codes didn't begin requiring the accessible cleanout until Reagan was in the WH.

A couple of symptoms to ask about:
1. Will water drain from the tub? Fill it about 2" deep and see if it does. If it's slow draining, then it could be a clogged vent, blockage in the main line, or worse yet a collapsed line.

2. Do you have lots of large trees in your back yard? If you do, you could have root problems in your main line.

Best thing to do is limit your water use, and call a plumber. If he cannot find a cleanout outside, have him locate the line and get a quote on how much it will be to install a cleanout. It's a good thing to have - you can diagnose problems much easier with a cleanout. (Or in my case at my old house, avoid a sewage disaster when the city's mainline plugged up.)

Let us know how it turns out - here's hoping it's not a wallet cleaner.

Williesan

SicEmBaylor
3/15/2010, 09:02 PM
Here's you a plumber:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_FAqNaZCBPY4/SPg4T7cTU1I/AAAAAAAACVY/S-Reayc4r80/s320/k.jpg

Collier11
3/15/2010, 09:20 PM
these guys were awesome for me after that last ice storm:

Bob's Plumbing
2656 Classen Blvd, Norman, OK 73071
(405) 329-1178

but that sounds like sewer problem... i've been hearing Roto Rooter is the best place to call for that

i also hear good things about this stuff:

http://www.rootx.com/

This ^ I was having the same issue as you and I called Bobs, they fixed it right up for me

Fraggle145
3/16/2010, 10:07 AM
So I called Bob's.

Bascially, if you take a shower the water will drain. I have 2 toilets that wehn flushed back up into my showers. I dont have a lot of trees so hopefully that isnt the problem. I will probably have to get a cleanout installed. That apparently runs at ~$250 bucks these days. We'll see what happens.

Tulsa_Fireman
3/16/2010, 03:20 PM
If you have a long enough snake (har dee har har), what Flag is talking about is snaking the main from the vent on the roof. If you don't have a cleanout, that's a sure-money shot to snaking to your main.

That, or you can pop your toilet off and snake it from there. It'll cost you all of a wax ring.

Odds are you can line up the last couple of drains in the home and get a line on where your main drain comes out of the house and toward the main. Once you got that, you can take a stiff wire or a piece of 1/4 inch rod and probe along that line to try and find that cleanout. Or save yourself all that trouble and drop 100 bucks on Roto Rooter to come out and snake your stuff. Without that cleanout, they'll shoot it from the roof like Flag said. And you still won't need a cleanout.

C&CDean
3/16/2010, 03:25 PM
I think God is just punishing him with ****ty showers to try and open his eyes.

Tulsa_Fireman
3/16/2010, 03:26 PM
God: I got yer Clean Water Act right 'ere, pally! Badda BOOM!

soonerboomer93
3/16/2010, 03:37 PM
If you have a long enough snake (har dee har har), what Flag is talking about is snaking the main from the vent on the roof. If you don't have a cleanout, that's a sure-money shot to snaking to your main.

That, or you can pop your toilet off and snake it from there. It'll cost you all of a wax ring.

Odds are you can line up the last couple of drains in the home and get a line on where your main drain comes out of the house and toward the main. Once you got that, you can take a stiff wire or a piece of 1/4 inch rod and probe along that line to try and find that cleanout. Or save yourself all that trouble and drop 100 bucks on Roto Rooter to come out and snake your stuff. Without that cleanout, they'll shoot it from the roof like Flag said. And you still won't need a cleanout.

I don't know about you, but I don't think the womenz would be happy if my probin rod was only 1/4 inch

Collier11
3/16/2010, 03:42 PM
but you think she is happy with your 1/2 inch :eek:

Fraggle145
3/16/2010, 04:22 PM
So Bob's came out. They found my clean out, buried just underneath the surface.

They snaked it or roto-rootered it or whatever. There were two root clogs just before the sewer about 25' and 40' away. No way I could've got them anyway. Now I gotta find someone to comeout and do a root treatment or something.

Cost me $150. Not too bad, compared to what I was expecting.

Collier11
3/16/2010, 04:22 PM
they charged me $125 for a cleanout :eek: :D

Tulsa_Fireman
3/16/2010, 04:25 PM
So Bob's came out. They found my clean out, buried just underneath the surface.

They snaked it or roto-rootered it or whatever. There were two root clogs just before the sewer about 25' and 40' away. No way I could've got them anyway. Now I gotta find someone to comeout and do a root treatment or something.

Cost me $150. Not too bad, compared to what I was expecting.

Why?

Just go to Tractor Supply or Atwoods and get some root killer. Shoot that stuff down the cleanout.

Unless those roots are something you're wanting to keep, that is.

Fraggle145
3/16/2010, 04:39 PM
Why?

Just go to Tractor Supply or Atwoods and get some root killer. Shoot that stuff down the cleanout.

Unless those roots are something you're wanting to keep, that is.

Problem is i'm all green and ****.

So I'd prefer to find something that doesnt kill everything else. I dont need someone else to do it, I just gotta find it. All that **** will end up in our water supply. I dont want to drink it. :eek:

yermom
3/16/2010, 04:40 PM
good luck with all that :D

Tulsa_Fireman
3/16/2010, 04:41 PM
Problem is i'm all green and ****.

So I'd prefer to find something that doesnt kill everything else. I dont need someone else to do it, I just gotta find it. All that **** will end up in our water supply. I dont want to drink it. :eek:

Good luck with that.

Odds are that if it'll love Mother Earth, it won't love to kill the roots you got asspunching your sewer line. Sometimes you just gotta draw a line between you and the planet and make it your b*tch.

Collier11
3/16/2010, 04:43 PM
Being green costs more money than to clean up the nasty from not being green...just sayin

Fraggle145
3/16/2010, 07:30 PM
I'm taking signups for everyone that wants to drink straight round up. heh.

Fraggle145
3/16/2010, 07:33 PM
That Rootx is looking pretty good, from the brochure...

#
Is RootX harmful to the environment?

No. The RootX formula is non-caustic, non-fumigating and non-systemic. It is classified as a General Use product by the Environmental Protection Agency and is registered for use in all 50 states (EPA registration #68464-1). In addition, RootX carries the signal word CAUTION, the lowest chemical hazard rating according to the ISO 3864-2 standard for hazard severity panels.
#
Does RootX harm trees and plants?

No. RootX only kills the roots inside the pipe and prevents their re-growth. Since the RootX foam only flows through the pipe, it has no effect on roots outside the pipe.

yermom
3/16/2010, 07:42 PM
the guy i heard about it from got it on eBay instead of finding a dealer :D

Tulsa_Fireman
3/16/2010, 11:20 PM
There's a RootX pusher that hangs out on Lincoln up by the Capitol.

A Sooner in Texas
3/16/2010, 11:21 PM
There are lots of root killers that are enzyme-based, like the RootX. Should be able to find some from Home Depot, or maybe even a plumbing supply store. Or you can find it online. I think the enzymes also help to eat up the grease, soap, etc. that build up in the pipes. Good luck...I have lots of trees, so a root cleanout of my sewer line is pretty much an annual event, even with using a root killer regularly.