PDA

View Full Version : Harris, AD, TRRW, Clayton to do missionary work in Uganda.....

Salt City Sooner
3/15/2010, 01:21 PM
Good to see some really fortunate helping out others who are really in need:

LAKE FOREST, Ill. – Bears defensive tackle Tommie Harris and three other former Oklahoma stars will travel to Uganda today to begin a two-week Pros for Africa missionary trip.

Harris will be joined by Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson, Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Mark Clayton and Cincinnati Bengals safety Roy Williams, along with a team of Oklahoma City medical professionals, lawyers, business leaders and other volunteers.

The group intends to bring hope and healing to thousands of women and children who have been victims of widespread human rights violations. The former child soldiers, orphans, AIDS victims and child mothers are currently being care for by Sister Rosemary and the St. Monica Girls Tailoring Centre.

“You can’t go back on what happened in the past,” Harris said. “But we’re going there to show them that there is a positive future and that there are people that care about them, and just to change their frame of mind that things will get better.”

Uganda is a landlocked country in East Africa that’s bordered by Kenya, Sudan, the Republic of Congo, Rwanda and Tanzania.

During the Pros for Africa trip, Harris and his group hope to feed more than 2,000 people, provide health care, dig water wells and assist in the construction of a small school building.

In recent years, Harris has traveled to Liberia to build a school for an orphanage and to Nigeria to hand out college scholarships, conduct football camps and deliver medical supplies.

“This trip is special to me because we’re bringing different guys that aren’t used to really doing missionary work,” Harris said. “You really get more out of it than you do putting in it, so it’s going to be good to see after it’s all said and done how they look at it. It feels really good to be able to give back."

http://chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=6621

ouduckhunter
3/15/2010, 02:04 PM
Very nice!! I'm sure that it will be very meaningful to all of them!

ouleaf
3/15/2010, 05:11 PM
Clayton mentioned something about this on his Facebook. Nice to see all those guys getting involved in a good cause.

PLaw
3/15/2010, 10:17 PM
In Tommy's on words, "It's krunk".

May God bless you and your work, boys. Stay safe and our prayers are with you.

I would love to see these guys playing for Singletary.

Boomer

sooner94
3/16/2010, 03:18 PM
This is the kind of thing that Stoops does not get enough credit for IMO.

He really does a great job with the kids that come through Norman.

As if there aren't enough reasons to be a Sooner Fan, this is another good one.

Soonermagik
3/18/2010, 08:25 PM
I rode to Dallas with Mark a few weeks ago. I'm just going to say he's a great guy. He recently started a christian t-shirt website called... http://mychristiant.com/

My work is associated with pros for Africa and it's awesome to be a part of. They are all there right now doing great unselfish things for others. It makes me really proud to be a sooner.

SoonR4Life
3/19/2010, 02:38 PM
I rode to Dallas with Mark a few weeks ago. I'm just going to say he's a great guy. He recently started a christian t-shirt website called... http://mychristiant.com/

My work is associated with pros for Africa and it's awesome to be a part of. They are all there right now doing great unselfish things for others. It makes me really proud to be a sooner.

That is awesome! Thanks for sharing

Boomer.....
3/19/2010, 02:39 PM
Awesome role models!

ouduckhunter
3/19/2010, 02:53 PM
Those tshirts are good looking!