PDA

View Full Version : Going to the Fatherland...

Tulsa_Fireman
3/14/2010, 01:04 AM
If we can swing all the reservations, we're planning on Munich for Oktoberfest. But I'm not hanging a once in a lifetime trip on a single night of drunken frolicking, so for those that are experienced, other than hitting a train and casting our fortunes to the wind, what are the must-see stops in Bavaria?

Is a trip to Celle, Tulsa's sister city all the way north of Hannover, even feasible? We've traded guests from our respective fire departments in the past, and for a day of quiet relaxation and sharing a little bit of home with our brethren overseas, it sounds like one hell of an opportunity. But it's literally on the other side of the country, therefore I don't know how realistic this would even be.

Obviously the WWII landmarks are high on the list. I want to see the Alps. I wouldn't mind seeing the Schwartzwald. And I want to eat, drink, and be merry. And to put the cherry on top, this is a honeymoon trip so it needs a certain flair of romanticism in there somewhere as well.

Whatcha think, gang? Language? Ideas? Thoughts?

ouduckhunter
3/14/2010, 02:37 AM
Go to Mad King Ludwig's castle, forget the name of it, but it's in all of the guide books! Neuschauwaunstein or seomthing like that...it's not old, but it's amazing!

Dachau the WWII concentration camp. It is horrifying, but a must see in my opionion.

Take a cruise down the Rhine river and look at all the old castle ruins up on the hill tops. There are lots of cruise ships, and they leave all day for varying lengths of time! Amazing!

Hofbrauhaus in Munich!! Touristy and campy, but it's really fun!

There are all kinds of great things of historical importance from a military, art, and religious point of view to see in Bavaria and in the area, so I know that you will find lots to do!! It goes without saying that the beer and the sausages/brats, streudels, etc. are top notch in the world!!!

Unless you really get off on the back roads, etc., most people speak English, so I wouldn't worry too much about language barriers. Take a English - German dictionary with just basic everyday phrases in it, and you should be fine (if you even need it).

Somewhere around there is a luge track that you can ride on. I think it's somewhere in Bavaria, and it's a blast. It's not like the Olympics, but it's fun! I think it's in the guide books too.

Enjoy your honeymoon!! How exciting!! ;)

olevetonahill
3/14/2010, 03:28 AM
Peem me
My DIL is a German Native . She was raised in Mannheim , I think
Bet she can give ya some great pointers ;)

badger
3/14/2010, 08:48 AM
Heh, I think we're making this same trip, but we're heading to India for a wedding first. :eek:

SunnySooner
3/14/2010, 09:02 AM
Wow, I'm JEALOUS!!! Hubby spent a month in the Baden-Wurttemburg area a few years ago on an exchange program, he gained 30 lbs. in 30 days!! That's a lot of great beer!! They did a lot of tours of businesses and stuff, not as much touristy kinds of things, but apparently there are castles everywhere, he even stayed in some. Anyway, he said it was beyond beautiful, and we hope to go back someday. Have a great time, congrats!!!! Post lots of pics when you get back.

Chuck Bao
3/14/2010, 03:34 PM
I suggest that you go with some German friends. Oktoberfest in Munich is just massive. It is a bit like the State Fair of Oklahoma feel, except there are these massive beer halls and a band is playing and everyone is drinking and and swaying and drinking and singing and drinking and swaying along. It is hard fitting in with being alone and swaying.

If Germany is your fatherland, go to your ancestors' home and just hang out and see what it is like. It's beautiful and the beer is great everywhere you go. I generally had more fun in the small towns than the big touristy cities. Oh, Berlin was the exception.

SoonerInKCMO
3/14/2010, 04:12 PM
Porsche museum. (http://www.porsche.com/international/aboutporsche/porschemuseum/)

ouduckhunter
3/14/2010, 05:00 PM
I suggest that you go with some German friends. Oktoberfest in Munich is just massive. It is a bit like the State Fair of Oklahoma feel, except there are these massive beer halls and a band is playing and everyone is drinking and and swaying and drinking and singing and drinking and swaying along. It is hard fitting in with being alone and swaying.

If Germany is your fatherland, go to your ancestors' home and just hang out and see what it is like. It's beautiful and the beer is great everywhere you go. I generally had more fun in the small towns than the big touristy cities. Oh, Berlin was the exception.

ITA!

Also, if you go to where your family is from, be sure and let the locals know, and they will probably welcome you with open arms and beer!

If you visit, and/or stay in the small towns that aren't swamped with tourists, you'll get more of a feel for Germany and the German people too.

Okla-homey
3/14/2010, 07:39 PM
You'll have fun. That's a given. Just plan on spending about twice the amount you expect, because there will be inebriated impulse purchases.

And lay-off the nazi jokes. They hate that sort of thing. srsly.;)

And if some drunk German gets up in your grill, just tell him to relax and that you're Canadian. Worked for me once.

Finally, try to get to Berlin. It's one of the funkiest places on Earth.

sooneron
3/14/2010, 08:36 PM
I was in Dusseldorf yesterday. Does that count?

Try to learn how to read some of the language. Most Krauts can sprechen sie. And don't pronounce W's with a Whuh sound - it's a v to them.

And stick to Sud- deutschland. It will be a little more romantic than Norden.
I was on a plane load full of Germans yesterday and I resisted the urge to ask it the inflight movie was going to be Inglorious Basterds! :D
I basically had to tell four *******s to stfu b/c I couldn't sleep due to their drinking and joking for 5+ hours.
They are a pretty jolly bunch, but it is still weird due to that language being the language of bad guys for 65 years now.

I recommend Lufthansa- pretty good airline and the booze flows.

fadada1
3/14/2010, 09:40 PM
'bout 280 years ago my people came over from the fatherland (bavaria region). someday i'll make the pilgrimage and look up the FUHR family (add the 2 dots above the "U"). thankfully, an "ER" wasn't aded to the name.