PDA

View Full Version : Mossis Madu

boomersooner28
3/13/2010, 06:40 AM
Good to know that he will be back at RB this year. The kid has talent and disappeared last year in the slot. Didn't get much of an opportunity. We can definitely use him in the backfield this coming season and I think he could make an impact.

Discuss :pop:

link (http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2010/03/11/ou-spring-practice-report-days-1-2/?custom_click=lead_story_title)

* Mossis Madu has made a return to the backfield after playing slot receiver last year. Madu is vying to be DeMarco Murray’s top backup at running back. In attempt to get him on the field last season, Madu was moved to the slot. But Madu being slow to pick up the new position combined with Ryan Broyles needing to be on the field for every play eliminated Madu from getting much playing time. Madu is a player, though, now with experience at both positions, that could rotate some from running back to receiver in OU’s fast past offense.

“As we get going after spring break he does have some more time to where he can be a move guy that could all of the sudden pop out and pop back in,” Wilson said. “He’s a running back today and we need to have him have a positive role. He’s a guy that has made some plays. He’s always been the best third-team running back but Mossis needs to have a more positive role and at receiver he was just a slight compliment. He needs to be a major compliment guy who takes some load at tailback and because he does have that receiver time maybe we do all of the sudden flex him out. But it’s because he’s done that more, it’s not that we’re making him a duel position. He’s going to be a tailback who maybe could move around some.”

HillbillyRay
3/13/2010, 10:23 AM
i like this move, even though im a big calhoun fan, because madu can create even more mathup problems for the defense in the no huddle with him, murray and broyles in we can come out in 5-wise or in a 2-back set plus madu has shown some gamebreaker ability and that is always nice to have on the field

JLEW1818
3/13/2010, 10:39 AM
hand most of the entire Running game to Calhoun.

Let Murray be the slot guy. and mix in some runs

JMO

HillbillyRay
3/13/2010, 10:50 AM
i hope calhoun does well this spring, and has a great season

soonerspudman
3/13/2010, 05:29 PM
Big Calhoun fan also, but his performance has been spotty, moving Madu back to RB suggests coaches still have some questions about Calhoun.

gaylordfan1
3/13/2010, 05:42 PM
Big Calhoun fan also, but his performance has been spotty, moving Madu back to RB suggests coaches still have some questions about Calhoun.

I think we are looking too much into the move, esp since its just spring. I think I read in an article (news OK or maybe on soonersports) that the backfield was short this spring because miller is out and we don't have our new recruits in yet. Madu was moved back to add more depth this spring. IMO, moving him back to RB was a great move. He didn't appear too comfortable at slot and KW has said that Madu didn't have much confidence in that position. He needs to be utilized more this year and he will have more of a game changing presence at RB.

I think Calhoun will be a great back. He appears to be more of a tempo runner, which showed last year. When he was in for only a couple of runs he did poorly. Once he was able to stay in the game for a couple of series he showed to be more productive.

I do think Murray will take a majority of the load at RB. I believe this was one of the reasons he stayed for his senior season. He mentioned something about looking forward to not having to share the snaps with another back (Brown) this season. I still think despite what the coaches told him to get him to stay that we will remain a dual back offense.

BoulderSooner79
3/13/2010, 07:01 PM
I feel bad for Madu, but I just don't see him earning much PT. He hasn't been quite good enough at RB or the slot or on returns to get many touches. Brown is gone, but Calhoun and Miller will be coming on as well as those 2 FRs coming in.

DM may be featured more this year, but he really hasn't been able to stand up to heavy load of 20+ carries. I agree he'll still be sharing the load, but maybe he'll have more say on when he comes out. We'll see.

ashley
3/13/2010, 08:56 PM
I hope calhoun does better than I suspect.

gaylordfan1
3/13/2010, 09:35 PM
OLINE!!!OLINE!!!!!OLINE!!!!!!

It doesn't matter how many RB's we have if we don't have a line.

gaylordfan1
3/13/2010, 09:35 PM
Seriously, I hope all these kids do well.

IronHorseSooner
3/14/2010, 12:48 AM
OLINE!!!OLINE!!!!!OLINE!!!!!!

It doesn't matter how many RB's we have if we don't have a line.

This is the biggest thing. It won't matter now much Landry has progressed, how many good backs we have, or if the WRs and TEs can catch the ball, if we don't have the OL to get it done. Let's hope that Stephenson has improved as much as some say, Brandon is more comfortable, Habern is healthy, and Evans and Good live up to their talent-level.

gaylordfan1
3/14/2010, 01:11 AM
Ikard..... really? THis kid must be good to be listed as the #1 with NO experience. The center is the QB of the line so if Stoops speaks so highly of this kid it must be for real. I hope so. If he does pan out they are wanting Habern to work out as guard.

pappy
3/14/2010, 09:44 PM
maybe the move is for more rb depth in the spring since jonathan miller isn't participating, murray isn't participating in contact drills and brennan clay and roy finch aren't on campus yet.

rawlingsHOH
3/15/2010, 09:49 AM

i think it has more to do with j.miller probably redshirting. and r.broyles having the SL on lockdown!

i for see very different roles for calhoun and madu this coming season.

oudavid1
3/15/2010, 10:43 AM
i think it has more to do with j.miller probably red shirting.

why do we think this, he did shirt last year?

IronHorseSooner
3/15/2010, 10:48 AM
why do we think this, he did shirt last year?

Nope, he got in when we had some blowouts (I think Idaho State, Tulsa, and Baylor), but I know he got some carries. It would make sense for him to RS. If he's not healthy, there's no need to rush him. The only bad thing for him is that he might end up being like Madu, in that he has a lot of talent, but he's here with a number of talented backs next year (Calhoun, Finch, Clay, and whoever we get amongst the three elite backs for 2011). He might end up doing a DJ Wolfe and moving to defense, but there are so many guys waiting in the secondary to get their chance.

oudavid1
3/15/2010, 10:52 AM
Nope, he got in when we had some blowouts (I think Idaho State, Tulsa, and Baylor), but I know he got some carries. It would make sense for him to RS. If he's not healthy, there's no need to rush him. The only bad thing for him is that he might end up being like Madu, in that he has a lot of talent, but he's here with a number of talented backs next year (Calhoun, Finch, Clay, and whoever we get amongst the three elite backs for 2011). He might end up doing a DJ Wolfe and moving to defense, but there are so many guys waiting in the secondary to get their chance.

Ok thats what i thought, cause i remember him playing against BWhyU and i thought after the injury we got him a medical redshirt.

gaylordfan1
3/16/2010, 08:17 AM
I still think he will fill the role as a RB this year than slot. But what do I know, I though C. Kenney was going to blow up this past year.....