PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma to keep current health system regardless?

sooner59
3/12/2010, 08:54 PM
I was reading an odd story about an Obama portrait being moved in the state's House Chamber, and I came across this resolution that just passed in the House.

"House Joint Resolution 1054, which would let Oklahomans decide whether to opt out of any proposed federal health care reform plan, overwhelmingly was approved by House members."

This is the first that I have heard of it. Interesting.

http://newsok.com/swap-of-president-obamas-portrait-causes-flap-in-oklahoma-house/article/3445871

sooner ngintunr
3/12/2010, 09:11 PM
The part about the picture is more interesting. I guess a Sergeant at Arms is actually needed sometimes. Over a picture? LOL.

Not sure about that resolution defying federal law, it hasn't worked in Ca in regards to Medical MJ. Federal law still trumps State laws. I'm not sure about a State Constitution though.

Lawmakers are a weird bunch.

sooner59
3/12/2010, 09:21 PM
Yeah I don't know much about it, either. I was just shooting this out there and letting those with more knowledge than me on how it works chime in.

Ike
3/13/2010, 12:44 AM
I somehow don't think that there is anything the state can do to allow Oklahomans to opt out of the bill under consideration now. Insurance will still come from private insurers. The only thing it might be nice to opt out of is the tax penalty for not having health insurance. Unless the state is offering to pay that for Oklahomans that decide to go without, there really isn't a lot that they can do.

Crucifax Autumn
3/13/2010, 01:14 AM
Just for fun...

What if by some miracle the federal system turned out to be fantastic and work in every possible way with near 100% satisfaction? Would the state be screwed at that point and get the "you snooze you lose" treatment from the feds?

sooner ngintunr
3/13/2010, 01:31 AM
Just for fun...

What if by some miracle the federal system turned out to be fantastic and work in every possible way with near 100% satisfaction? Would the state be screwed at that point and get the "you snooze you lose" treatment from the feds?

Well I would think if the law gave you the option to opt out, I would think you could opt in if you wanted.

delhalew
3/13/2010, 02:25 AM
we are one of 34 states in the process of passing something of that nature.