PDA

View Full Version : Trey Metoyer Top 5 TX's WR : Decides Today

MojoRisen
3/12/2010, 09:50 AM
Any word on what time he will commit? BOOOMER SOONER TREY!

OU44life
3/12/2010, 10:21 AM
At noon!

goingoneight
3/12/2010, 12:22 PM
He just recently visited us, right... like within the last week I think I heard... if so, got to like OUr chances.

OU44life
3/12/2010, 12:52 PM
This is what he said on March 10th.

TREY METOYER, WR, 6’2, 190, 4.45, WHITE HOUSE, TEXAS:

"...even though I go and visit other schools and I haven’t visited Oklahoma yet they are still my top pick. There is just something that I feel in my heart that I can do something, that I can go there and do something right away."

boomersooner28
3/12/2010, 12:59 PM
Big time WR. Hope we land him.

MojoRisen
3/12/2010, 01:16 PM
Scouts has him as an OU Commit! Rated 6th in the country!

Scout.com College Football Recruiting Search

Modify Existing Search OR New Search
Pos Nat'l
Rank Nat'l
Rating Name
School, Hometown Video HT/ WT/ 40 Schools of Interest
WR 6 Trey Metoyer
(Whitehouse HS)
Whitehouse, TX 6-2/185/4.55 Committed to Oklahoma

OU44life
3/12/2010, 01:21 PM
Rivals Star Rating - Rivals 250 Watch List
Wide Receiver - Whitehouse, Tx - Whitehouse High School
Recruiting Sites: Rivals - Scout - ESPN.com
Video ($): Rivals, ESPN, Scout TV
Measurables: 6'2" 198lbs 4.42 40
Rankings: Rivals - Rivals 250 Watch List, Scout - #6 WR in nation
Status - Uncommitted, announcing today, 3/12/2010
Offers and Other Interested Schools - offers from Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Nebraska, Arkansas, Arizona, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi, Oklahoma State

BOOM! According to Smoaky.com, Trey Metoyer has given his verbal commitment to the University of Oklahoma. This is a huge pickup and a fantastic way to start the weekend. Welcome aboard and Boomer Sooner Trey!

MojoRisen
3/12/2010, 01:22 PM
Projected 5 star and Top WR in Texas! Big Time

Scout.com Top 100 member Trey Metoyer is the top rated receiver in the Midland region and after weighing an abundance of scholarship offers he verbally committed to the Oklahoma Sooners on Friday afternoon.

The coaches at Oklahoma had reason to celebrate when the top receiver in the state of Texas, Trey Metoyer, selected the Sooners over a host of other offers.
The 6-foot-2, 185-pounder from Whitehouse High had schools like Arizona, Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Mississippi, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Texas A&M all offer him scholarships.

Over the summer when I had the chance to talk and scout Metoyer for two days at the Texas State 7v7 Tournament in College Station he admitted that the Sooners were already sitting at the top of his recruiting wish list.

Many of the Sooner faithful became extremely nervous when the projected 5-star recruit extended a visit to Ole Miss one week ago and was unable to catch a ride to make it to the OU Junior Day on Sunday.

But in the end he must have felt the most comfortable with the whole situation and the familiarity with the coaching staff in Norman. The Sooners were the first school to offer him a scholarship and the first school to really let him know that they really wanted him to be a part of the family.

"They have been recruiting me hard,” Metoyer informed Scout.com. “They were the first one to send me a letter, they were first ones I spoke to on the phone, and the first school to offer me.”

“Coach Stoops was the first coach to come watch me play and the first coach to come to my school. Coach (Jay) Norvell, their wide receiver coach, has been to a couple of my basketball games. We have a real good relationship.”

Metoyer, who also reports a 36-inch vertical jump, hauled in 77 receptions for 1,169 yards and 15 touchdowns to earn 14-4A Offensive Player of the Year honors as a junior in 2009.

EVAL: Great size for a receiver and though he does not have elite top end speed he has enough quickness and enough moves to get free from the defender and break long runs. He is a big target as a receiver and runs tight routes, his size and strength allow him to beat jams. He is not a blazing fast receiver but a good sized receiver with good hands and is very reliable. He is also a player that has a flare for making the dramatic catch.

NormanPride
3/12/2010, 04:22 PM
It's so weird getting someone at this point and having to wait a whole year to even think about them again. :D

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/12/2010, 05:40 PM
Mr. Scholz, pls tell us about the whorns experiences with this new Sooner verbal.

gaylordfan1
3/12/2010, 06:06 PM
Just watched his junior highlight video. Like the article says he doesn't have blazing speed but by the looks of it is hard to bring down.

3/12/2010, 06:11 PM
Just watched his junior highlight video. Like the article says he doesn't have blazing speed but by the looks of it is hard to bring down.Beef him up, and make a LB out of him.

Curly Bill
3/12/2010, 06:23 PM
Hell, we'll probably make him a center. :D

NormanPride
3/12/2010, 06:39 PM
His highlights remind me of Josh Norman a little...

JLEW1818
3/12/2010, 07:27 PM
Hell, we'll probably make him a center. :D

:D

Tigeman
3/12/2010, 08:20 PM
since everyone seems to be talking about how "slow" he is, should I assume the 4.42 on Rivals is wrong and the 4.8 on ESPN is more accurate?

Tigeman
3/12/2010, 08:22 PM
Hell 3 diff times..... which is it?

Rivals - 4.42
Scout - 4.55
ESPN - 4.82

OU-HSV
3/12/2010, 09:18 PM
But in the end he must have felt the most comfortable with the whole situation and the familiarity with the coaching staff in Norman. The Sooners were the first school to offer him a scholarship and the first school to really let him know that they really wanted him to be a part of the family.

"They have been recruiting me hard,” Metoyer informed Scout.com. “They were the first one to send me a letter, they were first ones I spoke to on the phone, and the first school to offer me.”

“Coach Stoops was the first coach to come watch me play and the first coach to come to my school. Coach (Jay) Norvell, their wide receiver coach, has been to a couple of my basketball games. We have a real good relationship.”
These are some awesome things that obviously had a big impact on his decision. Props to Jay Norvell for his continued interest in getting this kid to come play at OU.

Herr Scholz
3/13/2010, 01:19 AM
Mr. Scholz, pls tell us about the whorns experiences with this new Sooner verbal.

Great player. We had very limited numbers at WR this class after the last one (6 or so). Shipley was obviously getting an offer and we wanted a big 6'4Onyegbule on the outside. That was it. We can't offer them all. Heard a rumor about grades though.

3/13/2010, 01:34 AM
Great player. We had very limited numbers at WR this class after the last one (6 or so). Shipley was obviously getting an offer and we wanted a big 6'4Onyegbule on the outside. That was it. We can't offer them all. Heard a rumor about grades though.Thnx. Looks we're going to have to start beating your team, and your 12th, 13th and 14th man again, to get things back into balance.

Herr Scholz
3/13/2010, 02:00 AM
Also, those 2 you got from Round Rock Stony Point are nasty. LB Lindley and DT Wade. That D was tough. Would've loved to have had them but numbers are limited everywhere.

Tigeman
3/13/2010, 03:18 AM
How many do you guys have left for next year Scholz? Like 3 or 4?

JLEW1818
3/13/2010, 10:41 AM
according to horns he prlly runs a 5 flat.

Tigeman
3/13/2010, 12:40 PM
according to horns he prlly runs a 5 flat.

HAHAHAHA

Harry Beanbag
3/13/2010, 12:58 PM
Didn't Mark Clayton run like 4.9 in high school? 99% of these high school sub 4.5 times are total bull****.

Curly Bill
3/13/2010, 01:09 PM
Yup.

Tigeman
3/13/2010, 02:03 PM
99% of these high school sub 4.5 times are total bull****.

Much like FL! :D

Herr Scholz
3/13/2010, 08:00 PM
How many do you guys have left for next year Scholz? Like 3 or 4?

We have 18 now and the number is supposed to be 23 for this class although I think there's some wiggle room there. So 5-7 left with 10 offers out:

RBs Malcolm Brown and Aaron Green
OL Christian Westerman (AZ) and Matt Hegarty (NM)
DTs Marquis Anderson and Quincy Russell
DEs Cedric Reed and Jermauria Rasco (LA)
LB Anthony Wallace
CB Josh Turner (OK)

Word is Reed is close to pulling the trigger. He's probably the next one. We're really trying to get Turner down for our Spring game on Easter (really want him). The RBs and OL will probably not be soon and they're all looking at several schools. Marquis Anderson has intimated that we're not his #1 school.

If numbers get tight, the D line is probably where they'll make some cuts (Rasco also doesn't sound like he's wanting to come anyway). If both O linemen want to come, we'll take them both (which would make 7 there) and probably gray shirt Doyle who's hurt. We'd take both RBs if they want to come. Wallace has cooled since we've taken 3 LBs already.

My best guess is that we end up with Brown, one of the OL, Reed, Russell and Turner (or another CB). That would leave 1 or 2 spots for any of Green, the other OL or Wallace.

Tigeman
3/14/2010, 03:03 PM
From what I hear, Wallace is ours to lose. And like you posted above, I think you guys are more or less out on him. Of course crazier things have happened in recruiting, so you never know. This one gets dragged out till the end.

As for Brown, my gut says he ends up at OU, unless :mack: can convince him Davis still knows how to set up the run game. I think he likes *, but the kid is scared he'll be falling into RB limbo down there (yes yes, I know your past RB's 2-3 years ago, so no need to bring em up). I'm about 80% sure Green ends up at * and if so Brown is ours (which I don't know why, since they are 2 diff types of runners and would make a killer 1,2 punch). I don't have any sources on Brown so I'm just going on my gut here. That being said, I have heard that Brown does not want to end up at the same place as Green for some reason. Does that mean the kid has an ego issue? :pop:

Herr Scholz
3/14/2010, 10:18 PM
Who knows with those RBs. I'd be very happy to get either one. I'm personally a big fan of Herschel Sims as well.

KiiDSooNER
3/15/2010, 11:45 AM
From what I hear, Wallace is ours to lose. And like you posted above, I think you guys are more or less out on him. Of course crazier things have happened in recruiting, so you never know. This one gets dragged out till the end.

As for Brown, my gut says he ends up at OU, unless :mack: can convince him Davis still knows how to set up the run game. I think he likes *, but the kid is scared he'll be falling into RB limbo down there (yes yes, I know your past RB's 2-3 years ago, so no need to bring em up). I'm about 80% sure Green ends up at * and if so Brown is ours (which I don't know why, since they are 2 diff types of runners and would make a killer 1,2 punch). I don't have any sources on Brown so I'm just going on my gut here. That being said, I have heard that Brown does not want to end up at the same place as Green for some reason. Does that mean the kid has an ego issue? :pop:

I actually heard the exact opposite. I heard they would love to play together and be a thunder/lightning tandem. Who knows though.

Tigeman
3/15/2010, 05:14 PM
I actually heard the exact opposite. I heard they would love to play together and be a thunder/lightning tandem. Who knows though.

I thought all along thats the way they should be w/ those two.... a Bush/Peterson attack. But like I said above, I don't have any good sources on any of these RB's, so the info I heard was prob. full of it. But I did hear from a few diff. * fans as well. So who knows.

KiiDSooNER
3/15/2010, 07:55 PM
Honestly though, I wouldn't be as mad if we didn't land none of these running backs. Sure it would be sweet, but we're STACKED at the running back position. Calhoun / Miller / Finch / Clay / Williams. If we can land a power guy, I'd be happy.

IronHorseSooner
3/16/2010, 12:26 AM
Honestly though, I wouldn't be as mad if we didn't land none of these running backs. Sure it would be sweet, but we're STACKED at the running back position. Calhoun / Miller / Finch / Clay / Williams. If we can land a power guy, I'd be happy.

What's interesting is that we do have a power guy. Trey Millard was used in that role as well in HS, and we may see that with him. He will be a guy who will move around- TE, FB, RB, and split out wide. He's 6'2", 245, and is fairly fast for a big guy. His HS videos had him running out of that set. However, like anywhere else, you can never have enough good backs.

Tigeman
3/16/2010, 01:07 AM
Isn't Calhoun supposed to be a Power guy?

KantoSooner
3/16/2010, 10:01 AM
I'm very interested to see what Calhoun has done off season. Looking at him, I think he could carry more weight, and wouldn't lose a step if it was muscle. But, time will tell.
I am still obcessed with him and refuse to remove the rose colored glasses until at lest mid-way through 2010 season.

Tigeman
3/16/2010, 05:29 PM
You know I was watching some videos of Calhoun last night. It's amazing how video's can be made to look however you want. Most recruiting videos only show + highlights. One of the video's I watched however, the kid absolutely sucked in, and the entire video was that way. I don't know why someone would post a video like that, or go through the trouble to make one..... but they did. Luckily, coaches don't just recruit off of videos! :D

Hopefully this kid will have a breakout season this year, now that he should get some more carries!

HillbillyRay
3/21/2010, 08:26 AM
yeah he is brimming with potential, it would be great to see it finally translate to the field, but like Kanto said, i think he could add some muscle and be a serious power threat

OK2U
11/17/2010, 11:33 PM
Metoyer named HS All-American, invited to U.S. Army All American Bowl:

WHITEHOUSE, TX (November 17, 2010) – Trey Metoyer (http://oklahoma.scout.com/a.z?s=146&p=8&c=1&nid=4107127) of Whitehouse High School, Whitehouse, TX, has been selected to play in the 2011 U.S. Army All-American Bowl, joining an elite group of All-Americans. Those selected will play in the game on Saturday, January 8, 2011, at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas. The annual East vs. West match-up will be televised live on NBC at 1:00 p.m. EST and will feature the nation’s top 90 high school football players. “Trey is a talented athlete whose exemplary leadership and teamwork qualities have made him a standout at Whitehouse High School,” said Col. Derik Crotts, Director of Strategic Communications, Marketing and Outreach, U.S. Army Accessions Command. “The strength, dedication, leadership and teamwork skills necessary to succeed on the football field are the same qualities mirrored in Army Strong Soldiers. We are proud to honor all of our U.S. Army All-American Bowl players and congratulate them on their selection.”
Metoyer was selected by the U.S. Army All-American Bowl Selection Committee, which consists of All American Games’ network of regional directors, Rivals.com and Tom Lemming. U.S. Army All-American players are eligible for the U.S. Army Player of the Year Award, the Anthony Muņoz Lineman of the Year Award, the Pete Dawkins Game MVP Award, and the Glenn Davis and Doc Blanchard U.S. Army Awards.
As a result of Trey Metoyer being selected to the U.S. Army All-American Bowl, his head coach Randy McFarlin is invited to travel to San Antonio and attend the U.S. Army Coaches Academy, an elite three-day learning experience featuring NFL and NCAA coaches, as well as participate in game-week activities.
The U.S. Army All-American Bowl is the premier high school football game in the country held each January in the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas. The game features the best high school football players in the nation, and has helped launch the careers of Adrian Peterson (http://oklahoma.scout.com/a.z?s=146&p=8&c=1&nid=4831999), Mark Sanchez (http://oklahoma.scout.com/a.z?s=146&p=8&c=1&nid=5200287), Tim Tebow (http://oklahoma.scout.com/a.z?s=146&p=8&c=1&nid=4924876), Michael Oher (http://oklahoma.scout.com/a.z?s=146&p=8&c=1&nid=4877871) (from the movie “The Blind Side”), and many other college and NFL stars since its inception in 2001. The game also crowns the U.S. Army Player of the Year during Bowl Week in San Antonio.
http://oklahoma.scout.com/2/1022994.html

yermom
11/18/2010, 12:03 AM
What's interesting is that we do have a power guy. Trey Millard was used in that role as well in HS, and we may see that with him. He will be a guy who will move around- TE, FB, RB, and split out wide. He's 6'2", 245, and is fairly fast for a big guy. His HS videos had him running out of that set. However, like anywhere else, you can never have enough good backs.

missed this the first time. that kid's awesome

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/18/2010, 08:32 AM
i was looking through the recruit videos on youtube and i'm not sure what to make of this kid. he does a lot of things well, but i have no idea how a jack of all trades with no elusiveness translates to college.

one kid on pokey state's list that i'd like to have is david glidden. that kid has a knack for punt/ko returns.

BigTime1
11/18/2010, 10:14 AM
Hell dude dont write that kinda stuff he may go through here and read it...Ive seen the guy live he is UNREAL...if the ball is in the air he can catch it and do whatever he wants to with it after...He runs great routes is plenty elusive(i dont know who your watching)and gets hisself open can go over the top with his speed and I watched him catch a deep ball where he had both the corner and the safety beat QB underthrows it he jumps back waist at about the db's helmets leans over them w/o touching them and takes the ball from them. He's legit and will be great to see him with SOONERS on his chest.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/18/2010, 11:23 AM
read that i have no idea how his skills are going to translate to college? this is going to cause him to switch his verbal to east popcorn state?

my opinion comes from watching 4 youtube videos of his highlights. he isn't elusive, he's physical and decent with angles. as far as his route running, i can't make a determination when it seems he runs a vertical 80% of the time.

h3OB5UAuRh4

stoops the eternal pimp
11/18/2010, 11:46 AM
great route running= he runs and catches it:rolleyes:

cjames317
11/18/2010, 02:00 PM
Does he compare with any of these guys when they were high schoolers:

Julio Jones, Jeff Fuller, Mike Davis, Dez Bryant, Justin Blackmon?

soonerboy_odanorth
11/18/2010, 03:30 PM
You rang?

BigTime1
11/18/2010, 03:50 PM
He's REALLY REALLY good just be glad we got him...and FYI Jeff Fuller sucked in HS he dropped a ton of balls...he was being recruited on size and frame

Cornfed
11/18/2010, 04:28 PM
One thing that is glaringly apparant is he can catch the ball, the qtr back was not great but he didn't have to be.

Kid also runs strong, will probably have a rude awakening his first week of practice when he gets nailed, but after he gets used to the speed and hit of the college game I think he could do good.

Widescreen
11/18/2010, 04:56 PM
great route running= he runs and catches it:rolleyes:

It looks like he can catch the ball and then run with it. I see at least 3 Heismans in his future.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/18/2010, 05:08 PM
hmm...probably a split vote with finch?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/18/2010, 09:31 PM
Does he compare with any of these guys when they were high schoolers:

Julio Jones, Jeff Fuller, Mike Davis, Dez Bryant, Justin Blackmon?

Its funny you should ask. The reason I posted my pondering was that his highlight film reminded me of adron tennell

wilson63
11/18/2010, 11:12 PM
Well...it is all speculation until the lights come on in the Territory...and we see if he is on the field or not...he is going to have to beat out a couple of guys to start...

wilson63
11/18/2010, 11:14 PM
I mean...look at R.J. Washington (former all world high school baller)..i'm still waiting on him to do something..he is being beat out by a converted linebacker and other less than 5 star superstars!!