PDA

View Full Version : Fave STYX song?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/11/2010, 07:43 PM
"Fooling Yourself", of course. But, they have a good number of good ones.

Crucifax Autumn
3/11/2010, 08:06 PM
"Grand Illusion" or "Castle Walls".

OhU1
3/11/2010, 08:06 PM
None. Styx, Journey, REO Speedwagon, and other bubble gum rock groups belong in the bargain bin of rock and roll.

oumartin
3/11/2010, 08:08 PM
Too much time on my hands, blue collar man,Renegade

oumartin
3/11/2010, 08:09 PM
None. Styx, Journey, REO Speedwagon, and other bubble gum rock groups belong in the bargain bin of rock and roll.

Dude, back in the day REO could rock with the best of them. Yes, they sold out but they have some great driving rock n roll too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXXYreziwHQ

Leroy Lizard
3/11/2010, 08:23 PM
Their early stuff was okay. "Castle Walls" was my favorite Styx song, but I haven't listened to them in two decades.

3/11/2010, 08:43 PM
Their early stuff was okay. "Castle Walls" was my favorite Styx song, but I haven't listened to them in two decades.You got their Greatest album? Worth a listen every now&then. Madam Blu & America is pretty fine, and Grand Illusion, as mentioned above, IMHO

Crucifax Autumn
3/11/2010, 08:46 PM
Fine choice LEroy!

And Styx isn't bubblegum. Simpler prog at times, "pomp rock" at others, art rock in other instances. Journey began its decent into hell as soon as they dropped the combination jam band/proggish band they were before Perry joined. Tommy Shaw had a similar effect on Styx, but to a lesser extent as he got to do his "rockers" in between the growth of the original Styx sound.

I never was an REO fan, so I can agree on that part. The singer is too weak and the music too formulaic for my taste. And hell, that REO guy went on Don't Forget the Lyrics and was having a hard time coming up with the lyrics to REO songs...That's just embarrassing IMO.

A few other great Styx songs are Rockin the Paradise, Boat on the River, Miss America, Snowblind, Suite Madame Blue, Crystal Ball, Blue Collar Man, and Heavy Metal Poisoning.

Also the majority of the first 4 albums are pretty solid throughout if you like light prog.

Crucifax Autumn
3/11/2010, 08:48 PM
Then there was their fine album "Leroy Was Here" :P

Leroy Lizard
3/11/2010, 09:28 PM
You got their Greatest album?

If I was going to buy Styx, I would get the Grand Illusion. Their greatest hits album would be loaded with too much AOR.

Right now I'm listening to "Kiev Mission" by Tangerine Dream on a nice set of headphones and I'm totally spaced out.

btk108
3/12/2010, 12:29 AM
Fine choice LEroy!

And Styx isn't bubblegum. Simpler prog at times, "pomp rock" at others, art rock in other instances. Journey began its decent into hell as soon as they dropped the combination jam band/proggish band they were before Perry joined. Tommy Shaw had a similar effect on Styx, but to a lesser extent as he got to do his "rockers" in between the growth of the original Styx sound.

I never was an REO fan, so I can agree on that part. The singer is too weak and the music too formulaic for my taste. And hell, that REO guy went on Don't Forget the Lyrics and was having a hard time coming up with the lyrics to REO songs...That's just embarrassing IMO.

A few other great Styx songs are Rockin the Paradise, Boat on the River, Miss America, Snowblind, Suite Madame Blue, Crystal Ball, Blue Collar Man, and Heavy Metal Poisoning.

Also the majority of the first 4 albums are pretty solid throughout if you like light prog.

Crux....I have to admit I'm a fan of the Styx songs that didn't make the radio....and the early REO songs hooked me...especially "Time For Me To Fly"....yah..they went a little soft after that, but I still liked them. But as for Journey....I saw them in 83 (with Bryan Adams) the concert that "didnt' happen"...they were freakin awesome...it was unbelievable...and I saw Journey last summer..that new guy is great...but it is NOT the same without Perry frontin. IMO

3/12/2010, 12:32 AM
If I was going to buy Styx, I would get the Grand Illusion. Their greatest hits album would be loaded with too much AOR.

Right now I'm listening to "Kiev Mission" by Tangerine Dream on a nice set of headphones and I'm totally spaced out.AOR? Ihave the Greatest Hits album, and it's got all their good stuff.

sooner59
3/12/2010, 12:37 AM
Too Much Time on My Hands and Renegade. Granted, I don't know a lot of their stuff.

3/12/2010, 12:41 AM
Everyone's taste is diff, but the Greatst Hits album has almost all the ones mentioned in this thread, and "Lady, Lorelei, The Best of Times, Rockin' the Paradise, AND MORE.

SoonerStormchaser
3/12/2010, 01:13 AM
Suite Madame Blue

proud gonzo
3/12/2010, 02:30 AM
mr. roboto

Crucifax Autumn
3/12/2010, 03:02 AM
but it is NOT the same without Perry frontin. IMO

They weren't the same when Perry joined as they were before that either. It's akin to the changes in Fleetwood Mac when Stevie Nicks joined. Turned them into a totally different band. Lots of good music, but different.

Crucifax Autumn
3/12/2010, 03:07 AM
AOR? Ihave the Greatest Hits album, and it's got all their good stuff.

Grand Illusion as an album is far better than their greatest hits package. The GH has a ton of good stuff on it, but it's not the same as hearing their true masterpiece as it was intended, with the original flow of songs.

btk108
3/12/2010, 03:20 AM
Crux...buy all in all..it's still good music...Ill get y some vid

Crucifax Autumn
3/12/2010, 03:27 AM
I'm plenty familiar with the entire Journey catalog and some of it is good from all eras and some of it sucks.

SunnySooner
3/12/2010, 09:02 AM
One of my gfs took a bunch of us to the Styx concert here in Jax last year for her birthday, at this cool old theatre downtown, seats about 5k. Anyway, it was a lot of fun, Tommy Shaw still looks great, can still play like crazy--he even played the mandolin on one song.

As for my favorite, prolly Snowblind or Renegade. Although Come Sail Away is fun in concert with everyone singing along.

And I love Journey, I don't care if they're "crap", I love their songs and Perry's voice is allsome.

btk108
3/12/2010, 09:15 AM
I'm plenty familiar with the entire Journey catalog and some of it is good from all eras and some of it sucks.

zactly...........

Howzit
3/12/2010, 09:22 AM
I liked everything up through Pieces of Eight.

After Babe, Styx was dead to me.

C&CDean
3/12/2010, 09:31 AM
I saw them on a special not too long ago playing with some kids orchestra in maybe Chicago or Detroit?

Anyhow, they rocked pretty good. I've seen them before live (many years ago) and my favorite Styx song would have to be Snowblind. Probably because when it came out, it cut pretty close to the bone.

And I'm with Howziepoo on Babe. What a POS.

3/12/2010, 11:26 AM
Grand Illusion as an album is far better than their greatest hits package. The GH has a ton of good stuff on it, but it's not the same as hearing their true masterpiece as it was intended, with the original flow of songs.Diff strokes etc. I'm just saying if you only get one album by them, the Greatest Hits would have to be the one.(for me, anyway.

3/12/2010, 08:30 PM
Grand Illusion as an album is far better than their greatest hits package. The GH has a ton of good stuff on it, but it's not the same as hearing their true masterpiece as it was intended, with the original flow of songs.I agree with you as far as studio albums of theirs, with Paradise Theater prolly 2nd, huh? BTW, I always thought that RUSH would also be able to do a fantastic rendition of the Styx song "Lorelei". Has RUSH covered that song?(sure, I could research it...)

King Crimson
3/12/2010, 10:54 PM
blur collar man.

fave.

first concert: Paradise Theater at the Myriad, 5th grade.

awesome.

Crucifax Autumn
3/13/2010, 01:38 AM
Diff strokes etc. I'm just saying if you only get one album by them, the Greatest Hits would have to be the one.(for me, anyway.

I'm just a big fan of the album format and the work that goes into creating it and forming it into a work of art that flows beginning to end. I actually mourn the loss of that art in today's single driven music industry. And bands like Styx, Rush, ELP, Tull, etc. tended to bookend their albums most of the time and were well known for returning to specific musical themes throughout the album, or as I prefer to call it, the entire work of art. Liev albums, greatest hits albums, compilations of different bands, etc. can't, by their very nature, do that.

Don't get me wrong though, on my PC, which serves as my big bad surround sound entertainment headquarters, I "get my shuffle on" frequently and get constantly surprised by one of the 30,000 plus songs that pops up.

Crucifax Autumn
3/13/2010, 01:39 AM
And no matter how good they may be now, they can't touch what they wewre before the assorted breakups, departures, defections, and death.

StoopTroup
3/13/2010, 10:17 AM
t4bHfzUoDbA

Crucifax Autumn
3/13/2010, 01:25 PM
ST always finds the best vids!

RiddlerOK
3/13/2010, 08:37 PM
I always leaned toward JY when listening to Styx so I will go with Half Penny Two Penny, Snowblind and Miss America as my favorites. Honorable mention to Too Much Time on My Hands and Sing For The Day.