PDA

View Full Version : Earliest use of the no-huddle offense?

Jacie
3/11/2010, 01:22 PM
I don't know, but Bud Wilkinson may have been the first to do so in a 1955 game against the Colorado Buffaloes. The Buffs were 4-0, ranked #14 in the polls and had allowed a total of only 19 points. Concerned that the Sooners would be hard pressed to score against them, Bud elected to run a no-huddle offense. The Sooners went on to win the game by a score of 56-21. The 21 points scored by CU were the most by any team during that 47-game streak . . .

Jello Biafra
3/11/2010, 01:33 PM
not sure of the time date and place but im pretty sure the first no huddle was used by a deaf school in the early 1900s..

MeMyself&Me
3/11/2010, 05:30 PM
Actually Jello, you have it backwards. A deaf school invented the first huddle. Before that, everyone played no-huddle.

http://schreibe.wordpress.com/2009/12/17/how-the-football-huddle-was-invented/

OU-HSV
3/12/2010, 09:32 PM
I don't know, but Bud Wilkinson may have been the first to do so in a 1955 game against the Colorado Buffaloes. The Buffs were 4-0, ranked #14 in the polls and had allowed a total of only 19 points. Concerned that the Sooners would be hard pressed to score against them, Bud elected to run a no-huddle offense. The Sooners went on to win the game by a score of 56-21. The 21 points scored by CU were the most by any team during that 47-game streak . . .

You must have the same desk calendar I have :D
I just read this exact fact on my calendar a couple days ago. I was surprised to learn we ran some no huddle that long ago. Very interesting