PDA

View Full Version : Maiden or Priest?

Crucifax Autumn
3/11/2010, 07:17 AM
Who's better?

I vote Maiden since Priest is pretty much cheese (though great) starting in the 80s. Their 70s era work like "The Ripper" and "Victim of Changes" is fantastic, but in the 80s it kinda all sounds the same and is pretty stereotypical metal posturing.

Maiden has consistently had great lyrics, great music, little drama, down to earth members, and carried the metal banner from England to Japan, from North America to the Soviet Bloc, and from Australia to South America. Up the Irons!

What say you?

Turd_Ferguson
3/11/2010, 07:36 AM
Are you high........again?

delhalew
3/11/2010, 09:03 AM
I have to go with Maiden. Truly one of a kind.

Priest stepped it up with the Painkiller album and I appreciate them, but they are no Iron Maiden.

Crucifax Autumn
3/11/2010, 10:06 AM
Are you high........again?

Nope...just a tad bit drunk. And Maiden rules!

Boarder
3/11/2010, 10:59 AM
That's not even close...

<------------------

Jello Biafra
3/11/2010, 11:01 AM
although he reportedly likes to lick the dill, id still say priest..

NormanPride
3/11/2010, 11:12 AM
This is hard, because I love them both... but Maiden is more consistently awesome.

Jello Biafra
3/11/2010, 11:17 AM
This is hard.

still? jeez dude...

King Crimson
3/11/2010, 11:31 AM
Maiden has aged much better. Priest sucked after Screaming for Vengeance (and became kind of a cartoon); but, were awesome before.

BudSooner
3/11/2010, 11:35 AM
Motorhead>Maiden>Priest>Clay Aiken

Jello Biafra
3/11/2010, 11:40 AM

ministry>Motorhead>Maiden>Priest>Clay Aiken>owl city

BudSooner
3/11/2010, 11:45 AM
ministry>Motorhead>Maiden>Priest>Clay Aiken>owl city

PWND!:D

BudSooner
3/11/2010, 11:47 AM
Oh, and Lemmy is the ugliest mother****er I have EVER seen.

Jello Biafra
3/11/2010, 11:52 AM

heh i have seen pics of him at an earlier time and would have agreed..but i just looked on wiki for him and realized he could be a twin to vet...

NormanPride
3/11/2010, 11:58 AM
I do not like Motorhead that much.

Jello Biafra
3/11/2010, 12:13 PM
I do not like Motorhead that much.

chuck norris likes motorhead...do you want me to call him and tell him what you said? ;)

NormanPride
3/11/2010, 12:20 PM
Chuck is 70. Motorhead is for old people.

Jello Biafra
3/11/2010, 12:22 PM

are you saying I'm o...

:bsmf:

Veritas
3/11/2010, 12:28 PM
This like comparing prime rib to, I don't know, weird brother of prime rib.

UP THE IRONS!

Bourbon St Sooner
3/11/2010, 01:39 PM
Dude, Maiden kills JP.

BudSooner
3/11/2010, 02:45 PM
Bite me.:D

Crucifax Autumn
3/11/2010, 02:56 PM

But he was great in Hawkwind. That song "Lost Johnny" he sings on Hall of the Mountain Grill just rocks my balls off.

C&CDean
3/11/2010, 02:56 PM
Did I ever mention how happy I am I grew up before the metal rage? Nothing tops early 70's R&R. I can listen to some of the early metal, but all that speed crap thrash bull**** makes my ears bleed. Yes, I appreciate their talent on their instruments, but I can live without all the fakey death/satan/longwhorn crap.

Crucifax Autumn
3/11/2010, 03:00 PM
Maiden has never flashed the horns, played anything resembling speed/thrash metal, never been preoccupied with death, and the only supposedly Satanic thing they ever did was base a song on The Omen.

And I love 70s music myself, thus my greater appreciation of 70s era Priest and virtually every 70s prog band out there.

BudSooner
3/11/2010, 03:01 PM
Did I ever mention how happy I am I grew up before the metal rage? Nothing tops early 70's R&R. I can listen to some of the early metal, but all that speed crap thrash bull**** makes my ears bleed. Yes, I appreciate their talent on their instruments, but I can live without all the fakey death/satan/longwhorn crap.

Don't give me that, you were probably listening to Leif Garrett "I was made for dancing" right?

Anyone who does not get that reference, i'm gonna personally come over and kick you right in the balls. :D

OhU1
3/11/2010, 03:01 PM
Iron Maiden. One of the few metal bands I liked back in the early 80's (unless Blue Oyster Cult somehow counts).

The 1981 album "Killers" was my fav.

MiccoMacey
3/11/2010, 03:23 PM
I liked both...a tough choice.

But I liked Priest more.

And Budsooner, I get to keep my nuts in tact. I got your reference.

Crucifax Autumn
3/11/2010, 03:24 PM
Blue Öyster Cult only put out what can reasonably be called metal in the last 10-12 years. Thye are great at what they do though.

Killers ROCKED, but I prefer everything from Beast through Seventh Son, the First Blaze Bayley album, and Brave New World.

And also, to add to the topic Priest doesn't have Ed Force One and if they had something like it, unlike Bruce flying a jumbo jet, Halford doing the same thing scares me for some reason! lol

Besides, Rob's not a pilot, fencer, author, radio host, and screenplay writer!

Crucifax Autumn
3/11/2010, 03:26 PM
I liked both...a tough choice.

But I liked Priest more.

And Budsooner, I get to keep my nuts in tact. I got your reference.

"Liked" is telling. Maiden's music post 1990 to present > Priest's music post 1990 to present.

HoserSooner
3/11/2010, 04:28 PM

I'm with Bud on this one! :D

Crucifax Autumn
3/11/2010, 04:32 PM
Eh...If Motorhead was better than Maiden it woulda been Maiden on a Motorhead tribute album instead of the other way around.

Pogue Mahone
3/11/2010, 04:34 PM
I saw an Iron Maiden-Judas Priest show in Syracuse, NY, almost 30 years ago. Rob Halford had to wheel his motorcycle onstage because of local fire laws.

That 50-minute opening set clearly didn't fit what Maiden did.

And, yes, Motorhead >.

Crucifax Autumn
3/11/2010, 05:03 PM
I guess I just don't get the appeal of Motorhead. Not that they are bad, but it's all pretty juvenile and simplistic. Not Nickelback stupid or anything, but just not the metal gods some of you are claiming them to be.

I stand by my comment that Lemmy was better in Hawkwind. Of course, I'm willing to bet that Lemmy's ugly *** gets more p*ssy than any of the Hawkwind Elric nerds! lol

Pogue Mahone
3/11/2010, 05:25 PM
Of course it's juvenile and simplistic. But the more complicated life gets, the more I get out of things like Motorhead and the Ramones.

Crucifax Autumn
3/11/2010, 07:10 PM
That's a legit answer. I prefer complex and inteligent music almost all the time, but there are definitely times to toss on some Misfits or alice Cooper and just let the brain waves drop to sub-dead levels

HoserSooner
3/11/2010, 11:30 PM
For me, Motorhead paved the way for many of the metal bands that followed in the late 70's, and into the 80's.

I've always dug the abbrasive side of hard rock/metal, and Motorhead is about as abbrasive as it gets IMO.

And anybody that is pushing 65, still smokes two packs a day, drowns a bottle of bourbon a day, drops speed like nobody's business, records and tours like he was in his 30's still, has got my respect. Lemmy is one of the few out there who still leads the rock & roll lifestyle, and probably won't quit until/if he dies.

Having said that however, I do still like the more "meodic" side of hard rock/metal as well, with Maiden, Priest, etc.

btk108
3/11/2010, 11:50 PM
gotta go with Priest on this one

Crucifax Autumn
3/12/2010, 03:18 AM
One of the many reasons I choose Maiden over the admittedly excellent JP, is that Maiden albums overall have less filler material than JP, though SFV and Defenders of the Faith are pretty solid all the way through as are their 70s releases. I do have to say though, that Unleashed in the East is quite simply one of the greatest live albums ever released in any genre.

AggieTool
3/12/2010, 09:15 AM
Maiden has better musicians.

Priest had better songs.

They both suck now.

Victim of Changes got me out of KISS and laid in the same day.:D

btk108
3/12/2010, 09:17 AM

this.....

AggieTool
3/12/2010, 09:19 AM
this.....

Pffft....old pharts.:rolleyes:

C&CDean
3/12/2010, 09:46 AM
Black Sabbath was doing all the fakey death/devil crap way before any of the real metal bands came out. Hell, so was Alice Cooper. All the metal bands did was add more hair and noise.

Howzit
3/12/2010, 09:56 AM
And in JP's case, more slobbering on the microphone.

but i still like a lot of their stuff.

Howzit
3/12/2010, 10:00 AM
Derr dernt DERNT
Derr dern derr dern derr
Derr dernt DERNT
Derr dern derr dern derr

DERRRRRRR
DERRRRRRR
DERRRRRRR

Derr dern derr dern derr

DERRRRRRR
DERRRRRRR
DERRRRRRR

Name that guitar lick.

Veritas
3/12/2010, 10:47 AM
Black Sabbath was doing all the fakey death/devil crap way before any of the real metal bands came out. Hell, so was Alice Cooper. All the metal bands did was add more hair and noise.
Man, Alice Cooper was pure camp.

Sabbath? Tony Iommi was quite literally into Satanism and Geezer Butler wrote the eponymous track on their eponymous debut after seeing a demon at his bed. I get the heeby jeeby's listening to that track...

OhU1
3/12/2010, 12:59 PM
Alice Cooper's persona and stage show was/is pure camp.

I can't believe this guy is still active because he was already over the hill when I was into him when I was 16 (and that was a long time ago). However, Cooper does have a range of styles and some good stuff - especially the 1970 -74 era albums.

Cooper was one of those bands that did psychedelic when it was in style in the late 60's, rock, then attempted "new wave". There is a lot of "Spinal Tap" style aspects to his career.

Scott D
3/12/2010, 04:06 PM
not to mention, what ruins Dean's argument is both Maiden and Priest got their start in his beloved R'n'R 70s that were so cherished.

That being said, for the actual songs themselves Maiden is light years better. In terms of instrumentally, there are some periods where Priest is vastly superior.

Crucifax Autumn
3/13/2010, 09:58 AM
Maiden has better musicians.

Priest had better songs.

They both suck now.

Victim of Changes got me out of KISS and laid in the same day.:D

That's an idiotic comment...Maiden is still at the top of their game and their albums are charting higher than ever, still without real airplay or support.

The last one, A Matter of Life and Death, went to #9 in the US, Dance of Death hit #18, and Brave New World was #39. Those 3 hit number 1 in countless countries and they only have 2 albums that haven't gone gold pr patinum in the US including the 3 most recent. They also went gold or platinum in the UK, Germany, Japan, and tons of other places. The documentary Flight 666 hit the video charts in 10 countries and they still sell out their shows all over the world and usually in the same huge arenas they played in the 80s. They are headlining multiple festivals this summer and have prime slots in a bunch more.

This isn't the Stones or some other dried up band that just releases crap albums with one potential single to give them an excuse to tour, this is a band still in its prime after over 30 years of working and touring non-stop.

Scott D
3/13/2010, 02:01 PM
not to mention that when you can own your own 747 that your lead singer can pilot...that just shoots you way up the cool scale.

Crucifax Autumn
3/13/2010, 02:27 PM
Hell yeah...and when the wold's air traffic contollers actually sa "flight 666 cleared for landing" lol

GKeeper316
3/13/2010, 06:47 PM
maiden... grew up on number of the beast, powerslave and somewhere in time.

just great music imo.

Howzit
3/15/2010, 08:54 AM
What, nobody here reads music?

Derr dernt DERNT
Derr dern derr dern derr
Derr dernt DERNT
Derr dern derr dern derr

DERRRRRRR
DERRRRRRR
DERRRRRRR

Derr dern derr dern derr

DERRRRRRR
DERRRRRRR
DERRRRRRR

Name that guitar lick.

Crucifax Autumn
3/15/2010, 08:57 AM
Could be many, but you might get a kick out of my Van Canto thread...

King Crimson
3/15/2010, 09:31 AM
Derr dernt DERNT
Derr dern derr dern derr
Derr dernt DERNT
Derr dern derr dern derr

DERRRRRRR
DERRRRRRR
DERRRRRRR

Derr dern derr dern derr

DERRRRRRR
DERRRRRRR
DERRRRRRR

Name that guitar lick.

blue collar man

Howzit
3/15/2010, 09:42 AM
No.

You're obviously not the music genus you thunk.

King Crimson
3/15/2010, 10:02 AM
No.

You're obviously not the music genus you thunk.

that is mos def blue collar man. i think you mistyped it.

Howzit
3/15/2010, 10:07 AM
Nooooo, THIS is Blue Collar Man.

Derrder dernt derr derrderr derrderderrrrr
DERR DERR
DERR DERR
DERR DERR
DERNT DERNT DERR DERR DERR DERNT DERNT DERR DERR

I'll bet you feel pretty silly now.

AggieTool
3/15/2010, 10:09 AM
That's an idiotic comment...Maiden is still at the top of their game and their albums are charting higher than ever, still without real airplay or support.

The last one, A Matter of Life and Death, went to #9 in the US, Dance of Death hit #18, and Brave New World was #39. Those 3 hit number 1 in countless countries and they only have 2 albums that haven't gone gold pr patinum in the US including the 3 most recent. They also went gold or platinum in the UK, Germany, Japan, and tons of other places. The documentary Flight 666 hit the video charts in 10 countries and they still sell out their shows all over the world and usually in the same huge arenas they played in the 80s. They are headlining multiple festivals this summer and have prime slots in a bunch more.

This isn't the Stones or some other dried up band that just releases crap albums with one potential single to give them an excuse to tour, this is a band still in its prime after over 30 years of working and touring non-stop.

Sorry....:P

Speaking as the world's oldest heavy metal guitar god wannabe....

Maiden's current riff structures etc pretty much suck. Especially with the third guitarist Janik Gers or wtf his name is.

Powerslave was the last decent thing they did musically.

Crucifax Autumn
3/16/2010, 02:21 AM
I'm not the biggest fan of Janeck either, but if you discount Seventh Son or Brave New World as great albums you are completely insane!

Rogue
3/17/2010, 04:56 AM
I never got into Maiden and even as a mullet wearing kid driving around with the T-tops off in the '80s thought all their stuff sounded the same. JP, OTOH, RMFO.

GKeeper316
3/17/2010, 05:11 AM
Sorry....:P

Speaking as the world's oldest heavy metal guitar god wannabe....

Maiden's current riff structures etc pretty much suck. Especially with the third guitarist Janik Gers or wtf his name is.

Powerslave was the last decent thing they did musically.

awww no way man... the guitar intro to wasted years from somewhere in time is one of the best thats ever been put to tape