PDA

View Full Version : Tiny's Coming Back!

Boomer.....
3/10/2010, 08:17 AM
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Two weeks ago, Oklahoma forward Tiny Gallon wasn’t sure about his future. The freshman said he would wait until the end of the season to decide if he would return.

The decision came quicker than expected.

“I’m coming back for another year,” he said Tuesday at the Sprint Center, where the Sooners were preparing to face Oklahoma State in the first round of the Big 12 tournament at 6 p.m. today.

It would appear to be a very wise decision since Gallon didn’t exactly have a breakout freshman season. He averaged 10 points and eight rebounds a game.

Gallon said he discussed his future with Sooner coach Jeff Capel prior to the team leaving for Kansas City, Mo. Both agreed Gallon needed at least one more year of college basketball before he should think about professional basketball.

“He told me he would make me a great player. Right now I’m just a good player. I’m pretty much just average right now, and I don’t want to be average. I want to be a great player,” Gallon said.

“When I talked to him, and he told me to come back and get another year in. If I tried to come out right now, I wouldn’t be mentally ready. The NBA is very tough. Coach Capel knows what he’s doing. I think if I do another year, I’ll be OK.”

Gallon’s decision, which appears to be mutual, seems to clarify at least part of how the Sooners will move forward after the season ends.

Capel has said several times over the last month he doesn’t know what OU’s roster will look like next season.

Injured guard Willie Warren is at least looking at declaring for the NBA draft. Other players could elect to transfer or not have their scholarships renewed.

Struggling through OU’s first losing season since 1981 means there will be changes.

“We will do things differently. What this is? I don’t know yet,” Capel said. “I don’t know who that group is going to be.”

http://normantranscript.com/ousports/x1491882228

The right decision.

starrca23
3/10/2010, 08:57 AM
He is saying all of the right things...

oumartin
3/10/2010, 09:03 AM
well hope he changes his attitude and learns to play to his strengths.

Boomer.....
3/10/2010, 09:13 AM
He has been doing that lately so hopefully his attitude and devotion has changed.

...sooner
3/10/2010, 09:15 AM
man i hope things do turn around for him. if he plays EVERY game like he can.. hes gonna be tough.

Bourbon St Sooner
3/10/2010, 10:20 AM
I thought if somebody was going to transfer/leave that Tiny would be the first. I'm suprised he's saying he'll be in a Sooner uniform next year. I'm still not sure how I feel about it.

Let's just hope he does a lot of maturing over the summer.

Jello Biafra
3/10/2010, 10:22 AM
[QUOTE=Boomer.....;2848118
The right decision.[/QUOTE]

good because i was worried he wouldn't be ;)

starrca23
3/10/2010, 10:22 AM
He has a LOT to learn on the defensive end of the floor.

NormanPride
3/10/2010, 10:54 AM
Capel still has to renew his scholly. I imagine he will, but it's not a foregone conclusion after some of the things he's said.

badger
3/10/2010, 11:08 AM
The article quotes Tiny saying that Capel agreed that he should stay... so I think that suggests that Capel wants him back at OU.

...sooner
3/10/2010, 11:27 AM
He has a LOT to learn on the defensive end of the floor.

--oh yes. like how NOT to move out of the way & let the other team score a layup! hha :eek:

badger
3/10/2010, 11:29 AM
--oh yes. like how NOT to move out of the way & let the other team score a layup! hha :eek:

:mad: The problem is that when he doesn't, he gets called for a million fouls :mad:

...sooner
3/10/2010, 11:39 AM
:mad: The problem is that when he doesn't, he gets called for a million fouls :mad:

yaa i agree its quite frustrating! but id rather see the attempt like hes trying instead of moving over.. :(

Jello Biafra
3/10/2010, 11:52 AM
yaa i agree its quite frustrating! but id rather see the attempt like hes trying instead of moving over.. :(

yehhhhh like for the foreseeable future, when i see tiny gallon, that play will be in my mind. that was weak stick defense.

...sooner
3/10/2010, 12:23 PM
yehhhhh like for the foreseeable future, when i see tiny gallon, that play will be in my mind. that was weak stick defense.

--ya & its quite terrible that he established himself like this.

starrca23
3/10/2010, 12:28 PM
It is more than that...he is ALWAYS out of position (he doesn't understand the ball-you-man triangle at all). His teammates have to help out and that leads to a wide open look every time!

SoonerAtKU
3/10/2010, 12:55 PM
At least it SOUNDS like he's listening to the right people. This is a complete 180 from what people have reported about the guy, so who knows?

badger
3/10/2010, 12:59 PM
I don't think anyone projected Tiny in the first round, so if he were to throw himself in the draft, he basically would be looking at a second round drafting, which guarantees nothing except the D-League and an overseas career.

Glad players are coming to their senses. Only about 30 players will get guaranteed NBA contracts each rookie class. I see all pro leagues taking less and less chances on projects as salaries got higher.

OUmillenium
3/10/2010, 01:48 PM
Seems like he is saying the right things and hopefully recognizing some need for improvement/maturity.

I like it

frenchy33
3/10/2010, 03:01 PM
I think what has helped him play better (offensive side) these last couple of weeks is that he is playing from the outside in. With him and Fitz in at the same time, he is allowed to play the 4 rather than the 5 spot more often. I think if he gets better in the off season, its going to be tough for defenses to guard him and Fitz at the same time.

badger
3/10/2010, 03:05 PM
This season was not just humbling for us fans, it seems. Everyone, from Coach Capel, to the ex-Mickie D's AA's are feeling crappy about this unexpected turn of events post-Blake.

I foresee good things in the future

soonervegas
3/10/2010, 03:10 PM
This season was not just humbling for us fans, it seems. Everyone, from Coach Capel, to the ex-Mickie D's AA's are feeling crappy about this unexpected turn of events post-Blake.

I foresee good things in the future

Nothing a 2011 Sweet 16 appearance can't fix.

badger
3/10/2010, 03:11 PM
Nothing a 2011 Sweet 16 appearance can't fix.

:mad: Why not a Final Four?

;)

...sooner
3/10/2010, 03:44 PM
or a championship? :D

badger
3/10/2010, 03:52 PM
or a championship? :D

:( how dare I sell our sooners short.

I not only want a CHAMPIONSHIP, I want another Naismith winner, some All-American and All-Big 12 selections AND I want Cade Davis to pose shirtless!

http://i43.tinypic.com/if771t.jpg
:D

...sooner
3/10/2010, 03:58 PM

I not only want a CHAMPIONSHIP, I want another Naismith winner, some All-American and All-Big 12 selections AND I want Cade Davis to pose shirtless!

BAHAHAHA! wouldnt all us ladies love that! i noticed your its taylor griffin time & i found this pic one day.. not real sure how to put them in threads so here ya go!

http://www.thelostogle.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/taylor-griffin.jpg

Bourbon St Sooner
3/10/2010, 04:06 PM

post reported. If we can't post topless wimmens then no posting topless doods!

badger
3/10/2010, 04:27 PM
post reported. If we can't post topless wimmens then no posting topless doods!

but... but... it's not even a quality fark! Seriously - I just used Microsoft Paint to get Cade's head on a random model's body. I think it's of an American Idol finalist :)

Bourbon St Sooner
3/10/2010, 04:57 PM
It's not Cade's head I'm objecting to. But you better keep this pic to get you into the mood for NP tonight.

I Am Right
3/10/2010, 07:28 PM
leave tiny, please!

Boomer.....
3/10/2010, 08:51 PM
leave tiny, please!

Yeah, because we are loaded with big men. :rolleyes:

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/11/2010, 10:06 AM
Tiny has talent and is saying the right things. If he follows through I think we have a big time player inside. IF....

I have and will continue to go on the assumption that WW is gone...

TMG and Davis...no worries, will be strong for OU.

Alexander and Pleger....no shopping trips to the mall. Both can be good plyers if they put in the work. Talent is there.

I have no confidence in Willis, Allen or any of the other players left on the roster. We need at least 3 guys that can step in and contribute next year.

Boomer.....
3/11/2010, 10:14 AM
Here's a quote on Tiny's Facebook after the game last night:

Tiny Gallon My ankle hurt and heart... To ALL the REAL SOONER fans Ill Be BACK!!!! I PROMISE we gone be A 100 times BETTER

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/11/2010, 10:21 AM
Also as far as no scholarships being guaranteed: I think even if a player is a bust on the court provided they are doing the right things off the court and are putting forth the effort they should never have a scholly pulled. So I don't know what Willis, Allen or some of the others are doing off the court.

If I were deciding on a pure "what is the best roster" basis without the consideration above they would probably be gone. I don't wish them ill but I think they would be advised not to do anything to give Capel cause to run them off.

...sooner
3/11/2010, 12:58 PM
Tiny has talent and is saying the right things. If he follows through I think we have a big time player inside. IF....

I have and will continue to go on the assumption that WW is gone...

TMG and Davis...no worries, will be strong for OU.

Alexander and Pleger....no shopping trips to the mall. Both can be good plyers if they put in the work. Talent is there.

I have no confidence in Willis, Allen or any of the other players left on the roster. We need at least 3 guys that can step in and contribute next year.

--you mean Andrew Fitzgerald right?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/11/2010, 01:41 PM
--you mean Andrew Fitzgerald right?

Yes and I seem to keep wanting to call Fitzgerald, Alexander for some reason. Both good scrabble names I guess.

...sooner
3/11/2010, 03:13 PM
Yes and I seem to keep wanting to call Fitzgerald, Alexander for some reason. Both good scrabble names I guess.

haha thats what i figured. but we did have a former alexander just verifying ;)

King Barry's Back
3/12/2010, 06:52 AM
Tiny Gallon is saying all the right things?

He's coming off a way less than spectacular year personally, and he's a member of a team that just turned in the worst Sooner season in thirty years -- and the embarrassing debacle of losing NINE IN A ROW at that.

And he has this to say about turning pro: "The NBA is very tough. Coach Capel knows what he’s doing. I think if I do another year, I’ll be OK.”

"if I do another year, I'll be OK"? Given how bad he sucks, how 'bout he says, "I have a lot of work to do to make it at the next level, and staying here and working with Coach Capel is going to get me there," and leave it at that.

Even politically, if you really only intend to stay one more year, just act like you plan to say longer. You know, make the fans/coaches happy. You can still bail when the time comes.

That "another year" business just smacks of self-satisfaction and a bloated self-worth.

birddog
3/12/2010, 08:50 AM
seems like these guys need somebody to wipe their brown eyes for em.

if we become a place for the talented, lazy sob's that have to wait a year before they try their hand at the nba, this program will be DED.

tiny acts like he's in a fat camp and if he just hangs in there one more year, he'll reap the rewards of unlimited aerosol cheese.

Fraggle145
3/18/2010, 05:04 PM
bump

badger
3/18/2010, 05:11 PM
bump

boooo!

JLEW1818
3/18/2010, 05:12 PM
was he planning on playing in Canada or Europe?

boomersooner28
3/18/2010, 09:24 PM
Tiny accepted money from an agent. Good times. Just what we needed.

Thanks dumbass! :mad: