PDA

View Full Version : Lindsey Lohan Sues E-Trade

Bourbon St Sooner
3/9/2010, 04:19 PM
This is certainly a testament to the American legal system as it exists today.

NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of E*Trade Financial (ETFC) were unfazed by the company's brush with celebrity on Tuesday following a New York Post report that actress Lindsay Lohan is suing the online brokerage. The stock tacked on two cents to $1.69 in late trades with volume of 11.4 million running well below its three-month daily average, indicating investors don't see much of a threat from the star of "Mean Girls" and other movies.
The Post said Lohan is seeking $100 million for pain and suffering. She is alleging one of the talking babies featured in a recent E*Trade commercial was named after her. The commercial in question aired for the first time during the Super Bowl.
In the advertisement, which you can see here:a so-called "milkaholic" boyfriend-stealing baby is named Lindsay. The ad is just the latest in an ongoing series of E*Trade commercials deploying talking babies to promote the broker's services.
The Post article states that Lohan's lawyer is positing that the 23-year-old actress is recognizable by only her first name much like Oprah and Madonna and says that E*Trade has "garnered great profits" from the millions who watched the commercial. That would be welcome news for shareholders as the company reported a loss of $525 million for fiscal 2009 on Jan. 27and Wall Street doesn't expect it to get back in the black until the fourth quarter of this year.
"They used the name Lindsay," Stephanie Ovadia, Lohan's lawyer told the Post. "They're using her name as a parody of her life. Why didn't they use the name Susan? This is a subliminal message. Everybody's talking about it and saying it's Lindsay Lohan."
A representative for the group that produced the commercial denied to the Post that the character was based on Lohan.
Lohan apparently filed the suit in New York's Nassau County Supreme Court seeking $50 million in exemplary damages and another $50 million in compensatory damages, the Post says. Lohan's rep is seeking an injunction to remove the commercial from the air and to secure all existing copies of it.
An E*Trade spokeswoman said the company had not seen the complaint yet and declined to comment further.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10698741/1/etrade-sued-for-100m-by-actress-lohan.html

ouleaf
3/9/2010, 04:56 PM
Wow...just wow. so this is the level she has fallen to now to keep her name in the papers. There is no way in hell she is going to win this. How could she actually think that advertisement in any way implicates her. The argument doesn't even make sense. eTrade of all companies has a vendetta against Lindsay Lohan. WTF? Or the fact that this commercial would bother her more than all of the actual bashing tabloids, the Soup, and other media outlets do on a frequent basis. Shouldn't she be suing them?

Talk about one of the biggest episodes of celebrity meltdowns in history. This is why you don't do drugs, kids.

yermom
3/9/2010, 05:02 PM
now that i think about it, it's perfect :D

she probably was a milkaholic as a baby

yesterday i couldn't have told you what that baby's name was in that commercial. i'll remember now...

LosAngelesSooner
3/9/2010, 05:09 PM
She's an idiot.

soonervegas
3/9/2010, 05:55 PM
Someone was given a fake number....

LosAngelesSooner
3/9/2010, 06:06 PM
To reiterate...she's an idiot.

soonerscuba
3/9/2010, 06:16 PM
Even if e*trade said the character was based on her, wouldn't they be able to under the fact that she is a public figure?

Leroy Lizard
3/9/2010, 06:51 PM
They would likely use the fact that that their use of her name was intended as social commentary and is protected free speech, much like Married with Children castigated Oprah time after time.

Collier11
3/9/2010, 07:29 PM
dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

jkjsooner
3/9/2010, 08:16 PM
The thing that gets me is that time and time again celebrities who have already made 10 times a normal person's lifetime income somehow feel they're deserving of tens of millions more.

My guess is that Lohan sees that her earning power has diminished but her spending habits have not and she didn't adequately save for the inevitable fall. (For most celebrity status is fleeting.)

John Kochtoston
3/9/2010, 08:45 PM
I'd also argue truth as a defense to defamation. :D

Leroy Lizard
3/9/2010, 11:56 PM
Defense: Ms. Lohan, are you a total skank? And need I remind you that you are under oath?

Lindsay: Well, uhhh...

soonerinkaty
3/10/2010, 12:07 AM
she has big boobs

sooner59
3/10/2010, 12:17 AM
The funny thing is she is basing this off of herself being so famous that she is only known by "Lindsey". Really? Listen skank, you're not Oprah, Cher, or Madonna. I saw that commercial 5 times before I heard of this and never once thought of Lindsey Lohan. Granted, I should have given the "milkaholic" thing, lol.

proud gonzo
3/10/2010, 02:11 AM
Does she realize there are 40,000 other Lindseys in the country? what a tard.

Crucifax Autumn
3/10/2010, 03:03 AM
Oh, they were referring to her allright, but her suit is stupid. She's a public figure (I have no idea why) and she's subject to satire and there's not a damned thing she can do about it.

Leroy Lizard
3/10/2010, 03:05 AM
Famous for being famous.

MrJimBeam
3/10/2010, 06:03 AM
Lindsey Lohan should sue herself.

sooner n houston
3/10/2010, 09:42 AM
Lindsey Lohan should sue herself.

For being too stupid to breath! :D

jkjsooner
3/10/2010, 09:45 AM
she has big boobs

She had big ones. Then she became an anorexic and lost them. I think what she has now are not real. It's such a shame to throw God's creation away.

Bourbon St Sooner
3/10/2010, 10:57 AM
So let's see, LL's mom saw the commercial and thought it was about LL so that means everybody thinks it's about LL. Seriously I had forgotten the b!tch existed until I saw thisn article.

She's either a complete narcissist or completely delusional.

Wishboned
3/10/2010, 11:42 AM
She's so vain she probably thinks this commercial is about her.

Leroy Lizard
3/10/2010, 01:23 PM
Heh. Good one.