View Full Version : OU Pro Day, by the numbers

Collier11
3/9/2010, 08:02 AM
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/030810aad.html

Keenan Clayton had the best overall workout IMO

Dom Franks with the best 40 time at 4.47

swardboy
3/9/2010, 08:10 AM
Granger did 32 bench presses! Still not involved in any other of the activities. I keep pulling for him to find a spot, but it will be rough.

NormanPride
3/9/2010, 08:10 AM
Good to see Dom run something a bit more like him. I wonder if he was wearing the wrong shoes at the combine? :D

badger
3/9/2010, 08:45 AM
I heard that team scouts clocked Dom closer to a 4.40.

Linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100309_92_0_NORMAN889946)

Draft day is almost upon us. Get watch party plans together :D

KantoSooner
3/9/2010, 08:56 AM
I know it's going to be a steep hill to climb, but dayum Matt Clapp put up some pretty decent numbers.

OK2U
3/9/2010, 03:26 PM
I feel bad for CB, who couldn't compete in most combine drills after pulling his hammy, and pretty much only bench pressed today.

I wonder if he'll get to work out for scouts later, like on Sam's pro-day.
A lot of alumuni were at the Pro Day--Mark Clayton, Dusty D, Reggie Smith, Halzle was throwing to recievers, Teddy Lehman, J.D. Runnels and maybe a few others I couldn't ID in the Soonersports.com photo album posted earlier today.

There's a pic of Broyles standing next to Clayton, and while they are about the same height, Broyle's shoulders are about half as wide as Mark's. He's still got some room to grow, that's for sure.

primetime43
3/9/2010, 03:28 PM
Granger did 32 bench presses! Still not involved in any other of the activities. I keep pulling for him to find a spot, but it will be rough.

I'm curious where he would be projected if he didn't get hurt and have the off the field issues. Would he be in the same group as Suh and GK? I tend to think he would have been a first rounder. When healthy and right Granger was a beast. Just curious if anyone else agrees.

ouleaf
3/9/2010, 03:36 PM
I find it pretty amazing that Tennel could do a broad jump of 10'5" and only manage a 30" vertical. That seems rather strange. Good to see Balogun get some mention. I don't think he'll get drafted, but he'll definitely signon somewhere as an Undrafter FA with a team team that needs depth at MLB in a 3-4 scheme.

badger
3/9/2010, 03:51 PM
Hey, is STEP around here, or do I have to find his dot thread?

If so, does it benefit marginal NFL prospects to be on the same Pro Day workouts as First Round prospects, or hurt?

On one hand, I can see it helping them - where else besides the Combine (which they may not have been invited to) do you get 50 scouts inn attendance watching you?

On the other hand, I can see it hurting them, since their stats and measurables might be dwarfed by the First Rounders.

Boomer.....
3/9/2010, 04:21 PM
I know it's going to be a steep hill to climb, but dayum Matt Clapp put up some pretty decent numbers.

He had some very impressive numbers.

rawlingsHOH
3/9/2010, 04:30 PM

Damn near identical to JR Bryant.

badger
3/9/2010, 04:33 PM
btw, Mike Balogun is apparently suing the NCAA.

Link!
(http://newsok.com/former-ou-linebacker-mike-balogun-to-seek-damages-from-ncaa/article/3445054?custom_click=lead_story_title)
As Sooner fans, we certainly love a good ol' NCAA lawsuit :D

I hope he gets shiploads of money from the bastards who took away the year that would have gotten him in the NFL. :mad:

NormanPride
3/9/2010, 04:58 PM
Who knows how much money they cost him...

Collier11
3/9/2010, 05:01 PM
exactly, what if the facts show that he is telling the truth and what if he had gone out and had a all conf type season, this is a big deal IMO and not just a token lawsuit

starclassic tama
3/9/2010, 05:42 PM
so sam didn't throw?

Boomer.....
3/9/2010, 05:51 PM
He has his own Pro-Day on the 25th. GK will also lift again on that day.

SCxxSOONER
3/9/2010, 07:45 PM
Last yr before Granger was injured at washington Rivals.com did an article a top 20 players for the upcoming draft and Demarcus Granger was no. 4, i always thought he had 1st rd talent

rawlingsHOH
3/9/2010, 08:24 PM
Last yr before Granger was injured at washington Rivals.com did an article a top 20 players for the upcoming draft and Demarcus Granger was no. 4, i always thought he had 1st rd talent

no doubt!

at the end of the 07 season, heading into the coat incident, he was playing at an all-american level

DakotaSooner
3/9/2010, 11:45 PM
I find it pretty amazing that Tennel could do a broad jump of 10'5" and only manage a 30" vertical. That seems rather strange. Good to see Balogun get some mention. I don't think he'll get drafted, but he'll definitely signon somewhere as an Undrafter FA with a team team that needs depth at MLB in a 3-4 scheme.

Too bad that more importantly he can't actually catch a football.......

badger
3/10/2010, 11:55 AM
Meanwhile, over at OSU's Pro Day... zzzzzzz

Dez Bryant, contrary to this OSU site report (http://www.okstate.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/ptday-2010.html), is not participating.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OSU/article.aspx?subjectid=93&articleid=20100310_93_0_STILLW738754)

I really, really don't think [hairGel] makes enough of an effort to keep his former athletes in touch with the program.

...sooner
3/10/2010, 12:33 PM
do you think CB will still go late in the draft? poor guy. :(

NormanPride
3/10/2010, 12:49 PM
If the scouts and teams pay attention to what our coaches say, then yeah. Bob has always loved Chris Brown, so you know he's getting a good word in to the teams that look his way.

goingoneight
3/10/2010, 01:01 PM
His quickness and speed have always been the knock on him, even though a few reports had him as a 4.4 guy, it never showed on the field. That's like saying Tennell has all the measurables... but for some odd reason people are kinda looking past him. CB has always been serviceable between the tackles, and rarely drops passes. That should get him a look, and the heaps of praise from Stoops will help, too.

badger
3/10/2010, 01:02 PM
Allen Patrick went in the seventh round, so I see Chris Brown about there as well. Teams get tons of compensatory picks at the end to pick up guys like Patrick and Brown who have the potential to make noise in camp.

Will CB make a team? Probably not. More likely a practice squad, but I definitely see a team drafting him late to give him a chance.

rawlingsHOH
3/10/2010, 04:27 PM
Allen Patrick went in the seventh round, so I see Chris Brown about there as well. Teams get tons of compensatory picks at the end to pick up guys like Patrick and Brown who have the potential to make noise in camp.

Will CB make a team? Probably not. More likely a practice squad, but I definitely see a team drafting him late to give him a chance.

But Patrick could be a special teams monster. That is why I thought he would make an NFL team, though I was wrong. I also thought he maybe taken as a project at safety.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/11/2010, 10:40 AM
Hey, is STEP around here, or do I have to find his dot thread?

If so, does it benefit marginal NFL prospects to be on the same Pro Day workouts as First Round prospects, or hurt?

On one hand, I can see it helping them - where else besides the Combine (which they may not have been invited to) do you get 50 scouts inn attendance watching you?

On the other hand, I can see it hurting them, since their stats and measurables might be dwarfed by the First Rounders.

It has helped quite a few players out...guys who didn't get a combine invite or much pub, and then they get a chance and they blow it up on a pro day..its a definite plus...Nobody is going to compare a, lets say Gerald McCoy, to a DeMarcus Granger, even though they workout on the same day.

I'll throw this in this thread...a lot of scouts are concerned with Gresham's hands after the combine...said he "double-caught" about every pass, which he did quite a bit in his college career as well...

rawlingsHOH
3/11/2010, 11:25 AM
I'll throw this in this thread...a lot of scouts are concerned with Gresham's hands after the combine...said he "double-caught" about every pass, which he did quite a bit in his college career as well...
It's the weakest aspect of his game, bar none.

ouleaf
3/11/2010, 11:43 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about Gresham's catching ability. If it is a problem, I think it is only a minor one. Plus once he and the QB get on the same page in the NFL, that'll help him out if he has a QB putting the ball where he likes it.

starclassic tama
3/11/2010, 05:24 PM
another thing about gresham that will help him is he is a natural playmaker. rarely dropped a pass in a crucial situation, and always played his best in the biggest games

rawlingsHOH
3/11/2010, 05:38 PM
he's a stud. i'd be very surprised if he's doesn't have a keith jackson type of career.

soonerfromgeorgia
3/11/2010, 05:39 PM
One thing I've notice about every teams fans, in most cases they think their guys are better than they actually are and I think this might be the case with a player like CB.
The scouts know a lot more than we do and if these players deserve a shot they'll get drafted, if not it is time for them to use their degree to find a job.

KantoSooner
3/11/2010, 05:47 PM
yeah, plus he's from Louisiana. So, I dunno about him.

Now, if he was from, say, Georgia, then, WOW, late first round at the worst.

agoo758
3/11/2010, 06:05 PM
he's a stud. i'd be very surprised if he's doesn't have a keith jackson type of career.

With 5 all pro selections and a Super Bowl ring, why isnt Keith's pro career ever talked about? :confused:

goingoneight
3/11/2010, 06:22 PM
^^^ I've always wondered this.

Collier11
3/11/2010, 06:26 PM
Probably cus of guys like Tony Gonzalez and Antonio gates, etc... Keith was the original stud TE though

agoo758
3/11/2010, 07:46 PM
As a packer fan, keith jackson was one of my favorite players before I even started following the sooners! :)