PDA

View Full Version : TE position?

soonerfan28
3/9/2010, 06:10 AM
With Ikard and Mensik on the o-line, even if its temporary, who will play TE? or are we going to use less of a TE this year and more of a hybrid or H-back type? I know on the current depth chart they have Mensik as the starter but I thought he had made the move.

ndpruitt03
3/9/2010, 06:20 AM
Ratarree and Hanna

NormanPride
3/9/2010, 06:25 AM
Mensik and Ikard aren't permanent fixtures on the OL, just experiments. Even if they get moved there permanently, then we still have Ratterree, Hanna, Lane Johnson (JUCO who redshirted), and Austin Haywood (true frosh). The cupboard is not empty. :)

KantoSooner
3/9/2010, 06:44 AM
success begets success. If our base pass game can improve a bit (fewer drops, for instance), that helps everything; including getting the ball out to the TE.
My feeling is that our Offense will be improved across the board. I'm not prepared to announce a hammerjack stomp to the BCS champ game or anything like that, but OU will be better on the O side of the line. Of that I'm pretty sure.

yermom
3/9/2010, 07:10 AM
i liked the look of Ratterree in El Paso

i just hope our depth isn't challenged as much as last year :eek:

NormanPride
3/9/2010, 07:51 AM
Let's just remember that the Stanford secondary was horrific.

rawlingsHOH
3/9/2010, 08:01 AM
hanna was billed as a poor-man's gresham, and he's performed like a poor-man's bubba moses. would like to see him step up his game

NormanPride
3/9/2010, 08:06 AM
He reminds me of the Roberts kid we had a few years back. Tall, fast, and bad at football. :P

yermom
3/9/2010, 08:19 AM
i only really remember him making that TD catch in College Station in 2004 and that's about it

westbrooke
3/9/2010, 08:34 AM
hanna was billed as a poor-man's gresham, and he's performed like a poor-man's bubba moses. would like to see him step up his game

This made me laugh out loud, and not the fake LOL kind.

I remember those expectations for Hanna, as well. I wonder to what extent this resembles the QB situation. I had to remind myself on several occasions that Landry probably would have played better if he wasn't getting second-team snaps and preparing for mop-up duty.

These TEs were in a similar position. When we have so many bodies to rotate through a position, no one gets an extended chance to grow into the role. It's sink or swim, and there was a lot of sinking last year. Hopefully another spring and fall to practice and win the starter's role will help one of these guys step up.

Widescreen
3/9/2010, 08:42 AM
The way I look at is that if a guy is good, he's going to rise to the top. The fact that no one has risen to the top kinda concerns me. Hopefully we'll see some development in a hurry.

oudavid1
3/9/2010, 05:01 PM
Ratarree and Hanna

Yeah!! And the new recruits Haywood (Who i played against and is a great Athlete) and Trey Millard who Bob is really excited about.

goingoneight
3/9/2010, 06:28 PM
Try and remember while we're all nerding around on OUr message boards that Gresham was an absolute freak of nature and was described by Will Muschamp and Urban Meyer as a "nightmare." He was just a monster out there. You literally throw anything in his range and he caught it by virture of dwarfing the linebackers and safteties who tried to cover him. Now, when you go all 2005 and 2009 and don't ever throw it to the TE... it means the coaches know something we bitching fans don't know... that they have no reason to believe in crunch time that what we have at TE can be relied on in the passing game.

Eielson
3/9/2010, 07:02 PM
I wouldn't be completely surprised to see Haywood getting some significant playing time even as a true freshman. At some point in his career (assuming he stays out of trouble) I'm confident he will be starting.

pappy
3/9/2010, 09:04 PM
I'm really looking forward to chris barnett in 2011, but until then I think Haywood and millard get a lot of playing time as true freshmen I know millard is being projected as a fb/te but I see him at te in our 2 te sets opposite haywood or ratterree, also I wouldn't be surprised to see us bunch 3 te's together like we did a few years ago with gresham, eldridge and finley. it was really confusing to the defense and we could run well in that formation too.