PDA

View Full Version : Evidently, Obama doesn't like you people who fish.

85Sooner
3/9/2010, 02:24 AM
New Obama rules may prohibit citizens from fishing the nation's oceans, coastal areas, Great Lakes, and even inland waters...

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/saltwater/news/story?id=4975762

Fraggle145
3/9/2010, 03:00 AM
There is nothing specific in that article... And Marine protected areas have actually been proven to work. Fishermen sit on the outside of them and catch trophy fish in sizes for many species that havent been seen in 20 years.

Crucifax Autumn
3/9/2010, 03:08 AM
Can I still drop dynamite in a lake from my bass boat?

sooneron
3/9/2010, 03:25 AM

That's not "fishing" so, yes.

Chuck Bao
3/9/2010, 03:26 AM
That was written with a very, very alarmist bias. The author doesn't help himself by mentioning spring bear hunting in Ontario.

Recreational fishing is obviously a very big industry and should be a big lobby. Thanks for posting the link 85Sooner, as people need to be aware of changes to government policy. I still highly doubt that there will restrictions placed on recreational fishing on inland waterways. Okay, besides California.

Reading the authors previous articles, this is not about a policy change under Obama.

In reality, though, the task force is just one front of a larger assault that began with California's Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) in 2000 and accelerated during the Bush administration.

Commercial fishing, on the other hand, have depleted the oceans and should be restricted in some form. I find it odd that a major US brand of tuna is owned by a company in Thailand who is getting its tuna primarily from the South Indian Ocean, as the Pacific Ocean has been over-fished.

I think that Fraggle's thread about pollution control of the inland waterways would be a far greater concern to our local fishermen.

olevetonahill
3/9/2010, 03:41 AM

Ya destructive bastage . I use this and so should you .:D
http://www.townofbinghamton.com/UserFiles/CRANK%20TELEPHONE%284%29.jpg

Crucifax Autumn
3/9/2010, 03:48 AM
I just dump mercury in the water.

85Sooner
3/9/2010, 05:18 AM
I doubt it would happen. I just keep hearing Police "Step away from your gun and fishing pole" ;)

sooner59
3/9/2010, 05:28 AM
Ah, as a recreational fisherman, I am less than concerned for my hobby. It wouldn't go as far as affected folks that just wanted to go fishing on a Saturday or something. If it started to go that far, the next republican in office would just reverse it. Besides, local lakes and ponds, and areas like that become overstocked if you don't fish them and the fish die anyway.

BudSooner
3/9/2010, 06:22 PM
Ya destructive bastage . I use this and so should you .:D
http://www.townofbinghamton.com/UserFiles/CRANK%20TELEPHONE%284%29.jpg
Those are awesome but kinda hard to find unless you know where to look, there are some telephone test sets on Ebay that are hand crank also....just the ticket for that lunker who refuses to come out and take the spinnerbait you just threw him. :D