PDA

View Full Version : Bob's Optimistic - Tramel Blog

PLaw
3/8/2010, 10:44 PM
Decent read. Pretty much sums up the state of the Sooners.

Looking back - '09 would-a, could-a, and should-a have been No. 8. Darn injuries. Maybe this year . . . . . . at least there won't many looking out for us.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
Stoops optimistic for 2010
Posted by berrytramelon March 8, 2010M at 1:56 pm You know what the Calvinists — those who believe in predestination — say when they fall down the stairs? Glad that’s over with.

I thought of John Calvin’s sect Monday when Bob Stoops met with the media to discuss spring practice and the 2010 season in general. Stoops was incredibly optimistic for a coach coming off an 8-5 season and with some serious question marks remaining.

And I think it all boils down to this. No way can 2010 go as badly as did 2009, with the rampant injuries (Sam Bradford, Jermaine Gresham, most everybody on the offensive line) and close losses. Seems like Stoops might be saying, “Glad that’s over with.”

Stoops naturally is a positive person. Positive and optimistic aren’t exactly the same thing but are close. Yet Stoops seemed more gung-ho than normal.

“I’m optimistic about this group, finishing the way we did,” Stoops said, referring to a 27-0 whitewash of Oklahoma State and a 31-27 Sun Bowl victory over Stanford.

OU coach Bob Stoops congratulates Tress Way after a punt during the first half of the Bedlam college football game between the University of Oklahoma Sooners (OU) and the Oklahoma State University Cowboys (OSU) at the Gaylord Family -- Oklahoma Memorial Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 28, 2009, in Norman, Okla. Photo by Bryan Terry, The Oklahoman
Stoops went down the list. Said he believes OU will be better at quarterback with a more experienced Landry Jones, better at receiver with guys who got much better later in the year, better in the offensive line because of all the injuries suffered in ‘09.

Stoops also said the defense “has a chance to be every bit as good” as 2009.

I applaud Stoops for his optimism. I don’t agree with it. Not necessarily. Not on all the aforementioned elements.

Quarterback? Receiver? Yes. But OU is automatically going to be better in the offensive line? That’s a less strong limb. The Sooners will be without likely first-round draft choice Trent Williams, plus veterans Brian Simmons and Brody Eldridge. Sure, Simmons and Eldridge were hurt for half the 2009 season, but the guys who filled in did not instill assurance that 2010 will be better.

Let’s take a closer look at the line. Tackles Jarvis Jones and Cory Brandon were so-so last year, and while junior Donald Stephenson draws raves, he’s never so much as played and has been in trouble on occasion, leading to a 2009 suspension. Guards Stephen Good, Tyler Evans and Tavaris Jeffries played last season — not very well — but still could develop. It’s not kooky to think two of them could develop into solid blockers. And at center, Ben Habern was decent last season as a redshirt freshman before a late injury, but Gabe Ikard could push him for the position this year.

OU has some options on the O-line. It has some prospects. But to say with assurance that this line will be better, well, I just don’t see how we can know that.

Stoops questioned the offensive line a year ago before spring practice. He in essence saw some of the problems coming. This year, he says the O-line has been “one of our best groups” in off-season work. “I’m pleased with where they’re at, at the work they’ve done.”

I also think it’s a stretch to believe the 2010 defense can be “every bit as good” as the 2009 defense. Mainly because the ‘09 was fantastic. The 2009 defense had its failures, but for the most part, the ‘09 Sooners played championship-caliber defense.

To meet that standard, OU has got to replace both cornerbacks (Dom Franks and Brian Jackson) plus defensive tackle Gerald McCoy, who might be the first pick in the NFL Draft. That seems like a mighty mission.

Just at tackle, OU had McCoy and a healthy Adrian Taylor all season, until Taylor’s broken ankle vs. Stanford. Now the Sooners will have promising youngster JaMarkus McFarland and a recovering Taylor. The ends will be better — Jeremy Beal and Frank Alexander are a year older — and so will the linebackers (more athletic). But the dropoff in the interior is a lot to make up.

In the secondary, cornerbacks can be difference-makers immediately. Stoops is high on Demontre Hurst and Jonathan Nelson, with good reason.

If the Sooner defense justifies Stoops’ optimism and is “every bit as good” as its predecessor, 2010 indeed could be a special year. But it will need help from those offensive linemen. Stoops had better be right about them, too.

Berry Tramel can be heard Monday through Friday from 4:40-5:20 p.m. on The Sports Animal radio network, including AM-640 and FM-98.1. You can e-mail him here and follow him on Twitter @BerryTramel.

BoulderSooner79
3/8/2010, 11:01 PM
Stoops could just be changing tact on the O-line - calling them out last year didn't work, so maybe try pumping them up this time around. Time will tell, but it's working on me :)

oksoonerdave
3/8/2010, 11:22 PM
Stoops called the O-line out last year because they sucked...There were many of us (me included) felt that the defense would get the O-line better. Well, the injuries prevented that until the latter part of the season when OU was able to get something together that resembled an O-line.

This year, since Stoops says he's optimistic, then for me, thats a fact. I didn't fully believe him last year about the O-line, but I will not make that same mistake this year.

Boomer Sooner----Kick some butt.

Sooner-N-KS
3/9/2010, 02:55 AM
Why is it so hard to believe that the OL can be better than last year? Shouldn't be hard to be better than last year.

goingoneight
3/9/2010, 03:18 AM
Because people are retarded and don't realize things like experience and depth are a good thing. They just condemn the players after one season. If you're a QB or a coach, you'd better not even sneeze in the wrong direction.

KantoSooner
3/9/2010, 03:40 AM
Even minor improvements in Oline play would have made a huge difference last season. We have a couple of big hammers in Murray and Calhoun. Start springing them even 2-3 times per game each for ma-ma decent yardage (say 10-15 yard gains) and the defense has to modify to the point where Jones and co. have a chance to abuse them through the air.
I'm looking forward to great improvement (looking forward, not convinced, yet) on the Oline. But even a bit would have won an extra 2-3 games last year.

gaylordfan1
3/9/2010, 03:49 AM
I doubt the coaches will blow smoke this year like last year. KW saw how that was a mistake. There will be praise in positions that are not as worthy, but that is what helps to give these young players some confidence... so i'm all for that.

Sooner-N-KS
3/9/2010, 04:09 AM
I doubt the coaches will blow smoke this year like last year. KW saw how that was a mistake. There will be praise in positions that are not as worthy, but that is what helps to give these young players some confidence... so i'm all for that.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe KW was blowing smoke last year. I think he really believed it.

Sooner-N-KS
3/9/2010, 04:10 AM
........with that said it helps me believe that Stoops is saying what he believes. He called them out last year, and he's praising them this year. Let's hope it's for good reason.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/9/2010, 06:27 AM
I wont be optimistic about this team til they beat texas

BoulderSooner79
3/9/2010, 06:30 AM

Isn't that "hindsight optimism"? ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
3/9/2010, 06:30 AM
no because the season isn't over after they beat em

BoulderSooner79
3/9/2010, 06:32 AM
It was a joke (at least I cracked myself up)

badger
3/10/2010, 01:17 PM

Texas is predestined to be OU's beyonce.

ndpruitt03
3/10/2010, 01:25 PM
There's no way we lose our entire offensive line to injury like we did last year. I'm a little more worried about the defensive line than offensive line. We still don't know if Taylor will be ready come the fall.

TheUnnamedSooner
3/10/2010, 03:52 PM
I'm surprised anyone reads a blog that Tramel does.

Jello Biafra
3/11/2010, 01:28 PM
guys, four friggin plays made by this oline last year and we are here talking about how lucky we were to go 12-1.