PDA

View Full Version : One less rat terrier...

C&CDean
3/8/2010, 05:26 PM
I'm not much on the dying/dead animal threads, but I thought I'd share anyhow.

As some of you know, I've had a pair of rat terriers that we bought when my youngest got hit by a car and part of his therapy after coming out of a coma was to handle pets. Anyhow, Boomer and Sooner (male/female litter mates) came home with us the same day he got out of Jim Thorpe. That was 11 years ago this past October.

Over the past couple weeks Sooner (the female) has been losing weight and just sitting by the water bowl drinking literally gallons of water and not eating. Yesterday she started ****ting blood, so momma took her to the vet this afternoon. Vet said her kidneys had failed, and she was dehydrated and the rest of her organs would go next. Momma just had her put down.

She was a dog, and it was her time. She lived a great life on a ranch chasing gophers, squirrels, and probably has over 100 mice kills to her credit. Her brother (Boomer) is still healthy and going strong, and we've kept one of the strays I've talked about on here (Petey - who looks like Petey from the Little Rascals without a circle around her eye).

If you wanna have some nice thoughts, have them for the kid who's gonna miss Sooner. Please don't offer any of the Rainbow Bridge stuff even though I know it'd be well-meant. Like I said, I ain't big on dying animals going to an afterlife, yada yada. I'm sad she's gone, and I'm happy I didn't have to shoot her myself. That woulda been a tough one.

fadada1
3/8/2010, 05:28 PM
you gave her a nice life. kudos.

Chuck Bao
3/8/2010, 05:39 PM
Since the rainbow thought of RIP are out, your kids certainly have my condolences and positive thoughts to deal with the loss of Sooner.

My granddad raised rat terriers. He claimed that dogs were only as good as to take care of the rat problem in the barns and particularly during winter feeding as my granddad lifted up hay bales and rats would go scurrying all around. He didn't keep cats because they wouldn't go riding around in his pickup truck with him like his dogs. Yeah, my granddad really loved them, especially Trixie, but wouldn't admit to it. I think you are a lot like my granddad in some ways, Dean.

Okay, I just can't help myself. RIP Sooner.

proud gonzo
3/8/2010, 07:50 PM
Sorry to hear it, Dean.

LosAngelesSooner
3/8/2010, 08:13 PM
Rat Terriers are a great little breed of dog. Big hunting dog in a little dog's body.

Sorry she had to go.

Collier11
3/8/2010, 08:18 PM
Its always tough to lose a pet, sorry she got sick and had to be put down

AlbqSooner
3/8/2010, 08:22 PM
Always tough to lose a family pet. Prayers for your son.

Crucifax Autumn
3/8/2010, 10:16 PM
Why hasn't that one dickhead 1 starred this thread yet?

birddog
3/9/2010, 02:28 AM
he's off shootin yorkies. give him a few minutes.

Lott's Bandana
3/9/2010, 03:34 AM
We got a Rat Terrier in 1993 and decided to give her to my then in-laws when I got transferred to Hawai'i in 1996, so she didn't have to go through the 6-month quarantine.

Charlotte is blind and chases squirrels that are not really there, but is still Ed's constant companion at 17.

Great dogs, RIP Sooner.

olevetonahill
3/9/2010, 03:43 AM
Losing a Pet is tuff especially one that has played a part in your childs recovery. Does it Hurt ? Sure it does But im like Dean aint that big a deal

Boomer.....
3/9/2010, 03:52 AM
:(

SoonerBK
3/9/2010, 03:58 AM
I agree with Dean. I'm not much on Dead animal threads either. Nice story though.

NormanPride
3/9/2010, 04:17 AM
Glad she had such a great life, and glad your youngest had fun with her. :)

C&CDean
3/9/2010, 05:03 PM
Boomer (the male) sniffed around last night looking for Sooner, and the kid asked if Boomer could sleep upstairs with him. We said sure - until at about 2am all hell breaks loose because Boomer is jumping at the window trying to get out at an armadillo that was in the backyard. Anyhow, Boomer went back outside, chased the dillo for a while then came back to the garage and crashed where he always does.

It was kind of weird heading to work this morning and not seeing 3 dogs chasing us down the driveway...

Anyhow, thanks for the nice thoughts and all.