PDA

View Full Version : Sooner Nation

oudavid1
3/7/2010, 11:45 PM
Since we know everyone on here represents some form of intelligent life, I have 2 questions.

1. Is it wrong that we say "Sooners" at the end of The National Anthem?

2. Is the flag that looks like an American flag but has an OU instead of the stars in anyway disrespectful?

Annnnnnnddd go!

gaylordfan1
3/8/2010, 12:13 AM
Question # 1 has already been debated here... it was during this past football season. I have no idea how you could have missed it. A lot of opinions were dropped!

King Barry's Back
3/8/2010, 12:19 AM
1. Yes. It is wrong to substitute a sports slogan for the lyrics to the national anthem. Plus, it's just ripping off the Chicago Cubs, who were saying that when I was a little kid. (1970s, at least) And I am generally against ripping off cheers from other schools.

Now think about this. How would you feel if, as one of our gold medal winners stands on the podium and the national anthem swells to its dramatic climax, the winner was seen to mouth "and the home of the Redskins!". Or whatever hometown team the guy/gal cheered for.

Be honest. You wouldn't like it. Especially if he/she sang "Longhorns," or even worse, "Trojans."

2. The flag that "looks like an American flag" is not disrespectful in any way. Our colors happen to be red and white. If our colors were any other combination, this wouldn't be an issue and, in fact, is not an issue at any other school as far as I can tell.

Just my 2 cents. Post count plus one.

Sooner04
3/8/2010, 12:24 AM
1. Yes

2. No

Collier11
3/8/2010, 12:51 AM
weve already went through this, the people that feel one way arent gonna change nor are the people on the other side

Collier11
3/8/2010, 12:52 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134682&highlight=natl+anthem

WA. Sooner
3/8/2010, 12:55 AM
1 yes
2 no
sooner nation yes

soonerinkaty
3/8/2010, 01:01 AM
1. present

2. present

btk108
3/8/2010, 01:04 AM
neg finger itchin......

soonerinkaty
3/8/2010, 01:06 AM
want me to skratch it for ya??

btk108
3/8/2010, 01:14 AM
nah....I'm gonna behave

soonerinkaty
3/8/2010, 01:16 AM
kidding aside,

1. No, as long as its in Norman.

2. No

btk108
3/8/2010, 01:22 AM
exactly...only in Norman....along with our SOONER brothers and sisters.

sooner59
3/8/2010, 02:49 AM
1. I agree again. Like I said back then, it may bother some people, but when I have marine (even osu friends) friends telling me its no big deal, then I ain't losing sleep over it.

2. That flag is hanging on my wall and I am looking at it right now. I like it. It represents "Sooner Nation"......which is within our great nation, the US of A as well as abroad.

gaylordfan1
3/8/2010, 04:34 AM
weve already went through this, the people that feel one way arent gonna change nor are the people on the other side

I tried to tell him colly!

bonkuba
3/8/2010, 07:31 AM
Nope and Nope

oudavid1
3/8/2010, 08:57 AM
Question # 1 has already been debated here... it was during this past football season. I have no idea how you could have missed it. A lot of opinions were dropped!

Im new to soonerfans

gaylordfan1
3/8/2010, 09:02 AM
Collier has been gracious enough to provide a link to the in-depth discussion on his second post on this thread. Enjoy oudavid1.

StoopTroup
3/8/2010, 09:39 AM
I do it so we have something to talk about.

StoopTroup
3/8/2010, 09:44 AM
Also "Sooners" is not a "Sports Slogan". Sooners are people and those people are Americans. Therefore....when in Norman....it's "The Home of The Sooners".

gaylordfan1
3/8/2010, 09:46 AM
AMEN ST.

XingTheRubicon
3/8/2010, 10:18 AM
This was argued before everyone in this thread was even a member of SF. (well, except for 04) Hell, we had a 5 pager back in '03 when OU fans soiled our national anthem in Tuscaloosa.

Might as well have another one. again.

oudavid1
3/8/2010, 10:41 AM
Collier has been gracious enough to provide a link to the in-depth discussion on his second post on this thread. Enjoy oudavid1.

What would I do without you guys :)

But just because
they talked about abortion in 1980 dosnt mean they can't talk about it now. The times are a changing, Gaylord never heard that song.

rawlingsHOH
3/8/2010, 10:52 AM
1. Yes. It is wrong to substitute a sports slogan for the lyrics to the national anthem. Plus, it's just ripping off the Chicago Cubs, who were saying that when I was a little kid. (1970s, at least) And I am generally against ripping off cheers from other schools.

And about a 100 other sports teams. It's a non-issue if there ever was one.

badger
3/8/2010, 11:25 AM
1. I'm not about to reprimand those that do, but I choose to not do this myself.

2. Those flags really only slightly resemble American flags. The absence of blue makes it look more like a stripey red and white thing than an American flag... maybe you should be asking about the state of Texas flag that somebody slips the "OU" logo into? :D

jumperstop
3/8/2010, 12:33 PM

Now think about this. How would you feel if, as one of our gold medal winners stands on the podium and the national anthem swells to its dramatic climax, the winner was seen to mouth "and the home of the Redskins!". Or whatever hometown team the guy/gal cheered for.

Be honest. You wouldn't like it. Especially if he/she sang "Longhorns," or even worse, "Trojans."

2. The flag that "looks like an American flag" is not disrespectful in any way. Our colors happen to be red and white. If our colors were any other combination, this wouldn't be an issue and, in fact, is not an issue at any other school as far as I can tell.

Just my 2 cents. Post count plus one.

If you're yelling for your school while they're presenting the Gold Medal your dumb anyways...That is a national thing, so sing the nation anthem. At an OU game you can sing for OU. Just because I change the words to our national anthem doesn't mean I'm disrespecting the troops, our country, or anybody who has ever served. Just a stupid song. If you've served and are getting your panties in a twist about them changing the word brave, sorry. You shouldn't be concerned with how 'brave' other people think you are, which in no way is determined by the anthem anyways. You should just feel brave and leave it at that. Sorry if you feel differently, but when I yell sooners at the end, I'm not saying **** all troops...dumb that people care that much.

Also about ripping off other teams.........seriously, go research where we got Boomer Sooner.

Collier11
3/8/2010, 01:20 PM
What would I do without you guys :)

But just because
they talked about abortion in 1980 dosnt mean they can't talk about it now. The times are a changing, Gaylord never heard that song.

it was talked about a few months ago, not 1980

boomermagic
3/8/2010, 02:22 PM
Since we know everyone on here represents some form of intelligent life, I have 2 questions.

1. Is it wrong that we say "Sooners" at the end of The National Anthem?

2. Is the flag that looks like an American flag but has an OU instead of the stars in anyway disrespectful?

Annnnnnnddd go!

Yes , NO !

Soonerfan88
3/8/2010, 07:08 PM
1. I'm not about to reprimand those that do, but I choose to not do this myself.

2. Those flags really only slightly resemble American flags. The absence of blue makes it look more like a stripey red and white thing than an American flag... maybe you should be asking about the state of Texas flag that somebody slips the "OU" logo into? :D

I second this response. :)

oudavid1
3/8/2010, 07:46 PM
it was talked about a few months ago, not 1980

what are you the forum police?

Collier11
3/8/2010, 08:15 PM
it doesnt take long to do a search is all we are sayin, there are a bunch of topics that are talked about non stop around here, that is why they have a search button

oudavid1
3/8/2010, 08:51 PM
it doesnt take long to do a search is all we are sayin, there are a bunch of topics that are talked about non stop around here, that is why they have a search button

Ohh I was just being a dbag, I tried to use the search button but I'm usually at work so I do it on my phone. But thanks, I figure without the repeats we would all eventually run out of topics

Collier11
3/8/2010, 09:08 PM
perhaps

gaylordfan1
3/8/2010, 09:20 PM
what song????:confused:

btk108
3/8/2010, 10:35 PM
what are you the forum police?

*LMAO*....I heard he likes handcuffs

Collier11
3/8/2010, 11:57 PM
you could only wish

oudavid1
3/8/2010, 11:59 PM
*LMAO*....I heard he likes handcuffs

dont get gay on me nooooowwww

Collier11
3/9/2010, 12:24 AM
he's been gay, nothing to get

sooner_born_1960
3/9/2010, 12:38 AM
Which school do the Cubs play for?

DakotaSooner
3/9/2010, 11:43 PM
If you're yelling for your school while they're presenting the Gold Medal your dumb anyways...That is a national thing, so sing the nation anthem. At an OU game you can sing for OU. Just because I change the words to our national anthem doesn't mean I'm disrespecting the troops, our country, or anybody who has ever served. Just a stupid song. If you've served and are getting your panties in a twist about them changing the word brave, sorry. You shouldn't be concerned with how 'brave' other people think you are, which in no way is determined by the anthem anyways. You should just feel brave and leave it at that. Sorry if you feel differently, but when I yell sooners at the end, I'm not saying **** all troops...dumb that people care that much.

Also about ripping off other teams.........seriously, go research where we got Boomer Sooner.

While I am an Army vet and I don't say Sooners when we go to the game, I don't have a problem with people saying it at the game. It bothers me more when people don't remove their hat or are talking during the song. I don't really agree with the comment that it is "Just a stupid song" though. Have a little respect and recognize it as the National Anthem.

starclassic tama
3/10/2010, 05:21 AM
1. no. everyone who is american should be a sooner fan, so they should be interchangeable. and if you aren't a sooner fan, you don't deserve to be alive anyways

soonerloyal
3/10/2010, 09:13 AM
1. I agree again. Like I said back then, it may bother some people, but when I have marine (even osu friends) friends telling me its no big deal, then I ain't losing sleep over it.

2. That flag is hanging on my wall and I am looking at it right now. I like it. It represents "Sooner Nation"......which is within our great nation, the US of A as well as abroad.

^These^.

Both my Marines love those quirks. If anyone would be offended, you'd think it would be Devil Dogs. I haven't met a Sooner Marine yet who is bothered by 'em, so...good to go.

swardboy
3/10/2010, 09:39 AM
More to the point: "Sooner Nation" is a creation of Mrs. Howard Schnellenberger....therefore is not to be taken as an appropriate designation of OU fandom.

Crucifax Autumn
3/10/2010, 09:58 AM
More to the point: "Sooner Nation" is a creation of Mrs. Howard that old drunk....therefore is not to be taken as an appropriate designation of OU fandom.

That's really funny you said that. I clicked this thread to say that VERY thing! spek

oudavid1
3/10/2010, 11:13 AM
^These^.

Both my Marines love those quirks. If anyone would be offended, you'd think it would be Devil Dogs. I haven't met a Sooner Marine yet who is bothered by 'em, so...good to go.

Love this ^^^

Soonerfan88
3/11/2010, 04:18 PM
More to the point: "Sooner Nation" is a creation of Mrs. Howard that old drunk....therefore is not to be taken as an appropriate designation of OU fandom.

No, it was first said in an OU parody of "Oklahoma Hills" and many of us have been saying it since then (1971?2?). Just because the DO or TW never used it until Schnelly doesn't mean he or his old lady get credit for it. :mad:

And for another old song reference that is still true today "When the Sooners are in Norman, opponents just hate Saturday!"