PDA

View Full Version : Some position changes....

gaylordfan1
3/7/2010, 01:39 AM
This is coming from a friend that has a Sooner Scoop acct, which I do not and was not able to look it up. It would be great if anyone on here can confirm or deny these changes:

*J. Chaisson is making the move to DT. He is listed at 260 now and is reported having trouble maintaining this weight... could easily get larger.

*G. Ikard moving to center. Possibility of Habern being moved to Guard.

*J. Harris making the move back to DB.

Again, not trying to stir up any rumors.... Just seeing if anyone has seen or heard this.

silverwheels
3/7/2010, 01:42 AM
I don't have a SoonerScoop account either, but I have heard about those position changes.

pappy
3/7/2010, 04:07 AM
yeah me neither, but around signing day someone one here who is in the know reported those same moves.

gaylordfan1
3/7/2010, 04:34 AM
chaisson @ 275 would be nice..... may have to step up if A. Train is still out.

Sooner-N-KS
3/7/2010, 08:35 AM
This is coming from a friend that has a Sooner Scoop acct, which I do not and was not able to look it up. It would be great if anyone on here can confirm or deny these changes:

*J. Chaisson is making the move to DT. He is listed at 260 now and is reported having trouble maintaining this weight... could easily get larger.

*G. Ikard moving to center. Possibility of Habern being moved to Guard.

*J. Harris making the move back to DB.

Again, not trying to stir up any rumors.... Just seeing if anyone has seen or heard this.

I believe I've seen most of these moves as well, but why would Habern move from center?

HillbillyRay
3/7/2010, 10:56 AM
outside of the habern move, ive been hearing the same moves

rawlingsHOH
3/7/2010, 11:58 AM
*G. Ikard moving to center.

that is EXACTLY what he is, a blocker!

PLaw
3/7/2010, 04:53 PM
I'm just relieved not see the same name pop up at multiple positions on the O-line, 2 deep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oklahoma projected spring football depth chart
The Oklahoman
Published: March 7, 2010

Offense

Pos. No. Player Cl. Ht. Wt.
QB 12 Landry Jones So. 6-4 216
15 Drew Allen R-Fr. 6-5 224
FB 32 Marshall Musil R-Fr. 6-2 218
48 Brandon Crow Sr. 6-1 221
RB 7 DeMarco Murray Sr. 6- 214
23 Jermie Calhoun So. 6-0 218
WR 24 Dejuan Miller Jr. 6-4 224
8 Brandon Caleb Sr. 6-1 187
WR 16 Jaz Reynolds So. 6-2 181
6 Cameron Kenney Sr. 6-1 190
SL 85 Ryan Broyles Jr. 5-11 178
17 Mossis Madu Sr. 6-0 200
TE 47 Trent Ratterree Jr. 6-3 225
82 James Hanna Jr. 6-4 635
LT 59 Donald Stephenson Jr. 6-6 285
69 Eric Mensik Sr. 6-6 265
LG 77 Stephen Good Jr. 6-6 291
68 Bronson Irwin Fr. 6-5 322
C 51 Brian Lepak Sr. 6-4 275
84 Gabe Ikard R-Fr. 6-4 252
RG 75 Tyler Evans So. 6-5 280
72 Tavaris Jeffries Sr. 6-4 309
RT 70 Cory Brandon Sr. 6-7 310
73 Josh Aladenoye R-Fr. 6-5 342
Defense
DE 44 Jeremy Beal Sr. 6-3 261
90 David King So. 6-5 236
DT 97 Jamarkus McFarland So. 6-2 296
53 Casey Walker So. 6-0 302
DT 92 Stacey McGee So. 6-4 272
95 Justin Chaisson R-Fr. 6-4 257
DE 84 Frank Alexander Jr. 6-4 259
91 R.J. Washington So. 6-3 247
SLB 56 Ronnell Lewis So. 6-2 234
12 Austin Box Jr. 6-2 220
MLB 42 Tom Wort R-Fr. 6-0 220
31 Daniel Franklin So. 6-2 219
WLB 28 Travis Lewis Sr. 6-2 232
55 Jaydan Bird So. 6-1 227
CB 19 Demontre Hurst So. 5-9 165
9 Gabe Lynn R-Fr. 6-0 186
CB 3 Jonathan Nelson Sr. 5-11 172
32 Jamell Fleming Jr. 5-11 178
SS 27 Sam Proctor Jr. 6-0 208
5 Joseph Ibiloye So. 6-3 208
FS 20 Quinton Carter Sr. 6-1 193
13 Marcus Trice So. 5-8 178
Special teams
K 43 Patrick O’Hara Jr. 6-0 185
P 36 Tress Way So. 6-1 215
KR 85 Ryan Broyles Jr. 5-11 178
17 Mossis Madu Sr. 6-0 200
PR 85 Ryan Broyles Jr. 5-11 178

rainiersooner
3/7/2010, 05:05 PM
Hmmm - not sure how much better I feel about our receivers and O-Line this year that I did last year; although in theory the extra year should yield some improvement. I do feel that Landry will be better, so who knows, perhaps overall there will be a slight improvement on offense.

The only real big loss I feel on D is McCoy - I think the linebackers will be stout and have confidence in the secondary.

I don't think this will be a vastly improved OU team, but I think it will be improved...which should account for at least another three to four wins from last year. We should be right in the hunt for the Big XII Championship with this crew.

BoulderSooner79
3/7/2010, 05:35 PM
I expect much more consistency from the WR's than we got last year. Maybe there is a question on Broyles being *that good* 2 years in a row. But Miller was really coming on at the end of the year Reynolds getting a spring and fall camp behind him should really improve. I thought Caleb was better than he was given credit for here and he was dinged up a lot. Sure would help to get more production from the TE position. I agree with you about the O-line - I'm trying to just think that "hey, it can't get worse". And where is Habern? sigh.

I like the looks of the D and really hope Adrian Taylor can make it back.

VA Sooner
3/7/2010, 05:56 PM
I expect the defense will be stout again. We will have a better year if only the injury bug doesn't hit us again like it did last year... that was a complete fluke.

I hope.

oudavid1
3/7/2010, 06:04 PM
I'm just relieved not see the same name pop up at multiple positions on the O-line, 2 deep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oklahoma projected spring football depth chart
The Oklahoman
Published: March 7, 2010

TE 47 Trent Ratterree Jr. 6-3 225
82 James Hanna Jr. 6-4 635

I sure James Hanna can slim down from 635 so he can get some good minutes this year

BoulderSooner79
3/7/2010, 09:53 PM
I sure James Hanna can slim down from 635 so he can get some good minutes this year

He's trying to win the next "Biggest Loser" competition as we speak (type?). Stoops has made it clear he must be below 400 by fall camp.

ratherthanlater
3/8/2010, 11:53 AM
Habern isn't even listed on that 2 deep. Kinda sad because I had high expectations of Habern and Good.

NormanPride
3/8/2010, 11:59 AM
Our best D's have had amazing DTs, and our worst ones have been weak in the middle. I really think we are underestimating how important it is that Adrian Taylor makes it back 100% for fall practice, and someone else steps up. McFarland needs to grow up quickly, and Chaisson needs about 10-15 more lbs before I'll trust him in the middle consistently.

But, if we solidify the DT position we will hurt people.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/8/2010, 12:36 PM
Our best D's have had amazing DTs, and our worst ones have been weak in the middle. I really think we are underestimating how important it is that Adrian Taylor makes it back 100% for fall practice, and someone else steps up. McFarland needs to grow up quickly, and Chaisson needs about 10-15 more lbs before I'll trust him in the middle consistently.

But, if we solidify the DT position we will hurt people.

name the amazing DT in 2000

Sooner04
3/8/2010, 01:01 PM
Ramon Richardson!

NormanPride
3/8/2010, 01:08 PM

You've said yourself that line (and whole D) played as one unit better than any other. I'd say that can make up for it. They were special, though, and I don't expect that out of every team. I should, though...

I guess I should refine my statement to say that the middle has to be strong. That year we had Calmus, Marshall, and TGRW cleaning up anything that got past the first level. Strong middle is strong!

MiccoMacey
3/8/2010, 02:23 PM

Korey Klein.

I was tempted to say Jeremy Wilson-Guest, but he was injured and didn't get the minutes.

ndpruitt03
3/8/2010, 02:32 PM
Ryan Fisher(sp?) he was all conference that year.

Collier11
3/8/2010, 02:49 PM
I think Ikard is just for the spring

oudavid1
3/8/2010, 03:01 PM
Gentleman, we need corners. I expect great things from Demontre Hurst, but the other side is at best unproven.

ndpruitt03
3/8/2010, 03:08 PM
Gentleman, we need corners. I expect great things from Demontre Hurst, but the other side is at best unproven.

Jonathan Nelson played really good last year, he may be more proven than Hurst, looks like he'll move to corner.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/8/2010, 03:28 PM
You've said yourself that line (and whole D) played as one unit better than any other. I'd say that can make up for it. They were special, though, and I don't expect that out of every team. I should, though...

I guess I should refine my statement to say that the middle has to be strong. That year we had Calmus, Marshall, and TGRW cleaning up anything that got past the first level. Strong middle is strong!

i think you are close to what i think makes a strong defense in the last paragraph -> having a playmaker in all 3 zones (weak, middle, strong) and having assignment-freak role players funneling the plays to them.

this is different from the pros, where having a great DT is critical to having a great D that can stop the run. personally, i think this is because of one rule difference -> linemen can release downfield if the ball is caught behind the LOS.

rawlingsHOH
3/8/2010, 04:34 PM
I think Ikard is just for the spring

Why would they retard his development just to fill a spring spot?

rawlingsHOH
3/8/2010, 04:34 PM
Ryan Fisher(sp?) he was all conference that year.

And not even close to the #94 that Dusty Dvoracek was. Fisher, a guy.

setem
3/8/2010, 04:39 PM
Missionary to Reverse Cowgirl...just saying!

Collier11
3/8/2010, 04:49 PM
Why would they retard his development just to fill a spring spot?

because they dont have enough healthy guys on the line this spring

OK2U
3/8/2010, 05:52 PM
Maybe this deserves its own thread but I'm Lazy
Stoops Spring Practice Presser Today: Some interesting comments
http://soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/030810aaa.html

Opening Statement:
"We have our first spring practice today on this beautiful spring afternoon. It will be perfect indoors, where we will be. We are fortunate to have a great place to go practice in and can go on as scheduled.

"I feel like our team has had a great winter. I'm really excited about the way everyone has worked and the overall attitude of the team and the way they have prepared and trained leading up to spring ball. We're anxious as coaches to get back out on the field.

"It's always amazing to us that we are already on to the next year with our first spring practice. You get into the bowl season and then recruiting and before you know it you are back into spring practice and leading into the next season. It's an exciting time, we always love this time of year and working with all of the young players and developing them. That's always our focus, everyone always says 'Is there one area you need to improve?' and I never look at spring that way.

"We have to improve in all areas and more than anything we always try to build depth. We try to get the guys who haven't played a lot as much game-type experience, going good-against-good and getting as many snaps as we can to get guys that haven't played a lot on the field in our system. Seeing who can make plays and bringing more players along that you have confidence in to play next year.

"I'm optimistic about this group, finishing the way we did with the last couple of games against Oklahoma State and Stanford there were some major strides where I believe we will be better.

"I definitely believe we will be better at quarterback. That's because we played the entire year without Sam Bradford. Landry (Jones) has a full year under his belt, he threw for almost 500 yards against a ranked team in the bowl game and had an excellent game against Oklahoma State as well. That showed his progression through the entire year.

"I don't think there in any question at receiver, we showed that we were much better at the end of the year than we were at the middle of the year and earlier in the year. I don't think there is any question that we will be better at offensive line because we played without so many of those seniors. All the guys returning have experience now. I also believe we will get Jarvis Jones and Ben Habern back for a good part of the spring. It hasn't happened yet but it is likely to happen after spring break.

"We played the entire year without Jermaine Gresham, so that position can only be better than it was a year ago. We will have more depth at offensive line with Gabe Ikard, Eric Mensik, the players coming in and the players returning.

"At running back with DeMarco (Murray) back we have a great leader and experienced guy there. Along with Mossis Madu and other young guys that showed excellent promise. That position can only be improved as well. There are a lot of positives to me. Most of the injuries and difficulties were on the offensive side of the ball and I believe that in most of those areas we can be better.

"On defense, I think we have a chance to be every bit as good with Travis Lewis back, Adrian Taylor progressing well with his ankle although he still has a way to go, Jeremy Beal has been a leader and one of our best players through the years and Frank Alexander is still up there. We need a couple more guys to come along but we like how our young guys have developed and we believe we will be fine up front.

"Ronnell Lewis and Austin Box have played a bunch of football for us. Tom Wort showed great promise. Joseph Ibiloye played a good part of the year in our dime package. Jonathan Nelson came on with Quinton Carter. Jonathan was one of our best players a year ago. We have to replace our two corners, but again there is some good talent there. Jonathan Nelson can play corner or safety based on whoever is playing the best. Again, I think we have a chance to be solid there.

"I don't think there is any question that punting wise we showed that we were one of the better teams in the country in punting the ball and covering. Same thing in kickoff coverage, we were solid. We just need to improve in our field goals and PATs. That is something that will be an ongoing competition. Patrick O'Hara and Jimmy Stevens will go at it the entire spring along with some other young guys. We will see how that progresses. That is one area that needs to improve for sure."

On Landry Jones' improvement at the end of the year:
"One, his receivers caught the ball, that helps the guy. Two, he was protected and not getting rushed and that helps a guy. Too much of the time when things weren't good, it was all Landry's fault when it wasn't, it was a lot of people's fault. Also, I think anytime you are in your 13th game as opposed to your sixth or seventh game, that's a long time. There are a lot more snaps and a lot of growing. I think as the season went on, he got more and more comfortable. It's natural, the more snaps you get, the more experience you get and the more help you get all result in positive play."

On the offensive line's winter conditioning progress:
"They have been one of our best groups with how they have worked. They have met the challenge every day and I'm pleased with their attitude. I'm pleased with where they are at right now. At least to this point with the work they have done."

On the linebackers:
"It will be competitive, there are a lot of good players. We're fairly thin at linebacker. We don't have many numbers but they are all pretty good players, we like them all. There will be some pretty good competition so I think we will have some good depth or we will like all of those guys so that if one is out we can put in another guy and feel pretty good about it."

On the defensive line:
"I was pleased with how they played against a very physical team in Stanford in the Sun Bowl after we lost Adrian (Taylor) in the first series. Those young guys came in and did a heck of a job. Jamarkus McFarland and Stacy McGee have come on. We moved Justin Chaisson in there. He has grown and gotten bigger. Casey Walker did a nice job in that game. David King at defensive end came on and really played well in that game when Jeremy (Beal) got nicked up in that game. Every year there are guys that are a year older, more mature and more prepared. We will expect those guys to step up and I think there is good ability there for those guys to step up and play the way we are used to playing."

On the early enrolling freshmen:
"They will get a lot of snaps and a lot of opportunities. Hopefully they will take advantage of it and show good signs of being able to make a mark. Receiver is still a position for us that guys need to make improvement and be better. There will be a lot of competition and they will get a lot of snaps. We will have a bunch of snaps and it will be competitive, which is what you want."

On how involved DeMarco Murray will be in spring practice:
"(DeMarco) will do everything every day outside of anything that is live and take-it-to-the-ground. I'm not going to take a chance on him getting twisted up or getting caught somewhere. I've seen DeMarco play a lot of football and it's been a lot of good football. I'm just not taking that chance on something silly happening to a guy who knows how to play."

swardboy
3/8/2010, 06:02 PM
Yes...Madu needs to be taking hand-offs!

OK2U
3/8/2010, 06:32 PM
^My thoughts exactly, although we might see one of those highly-touted recruits transfer after realizing how low on the depth chart they'll be even after a RS year.

oudavid1
3/8/2010, 07:33 PM
Yes...Madu needs to be taking hand-offs!

He|_|_ yeah!

OK2U
3/11/2010, 06:52 PM
He|_|_ yeah!
http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2010/03/11/ou-spring-practice-report-days-1-2/?custom_click=lead_story_title

* Mossis Madu has made a return to the backfield after playing slot receiver last year. Madu is vying to be DeMarco Murray’s top backup at running back. In attempt to get him on the field last season, Madu was moved to the slot. But Madu being slow to pick up the new position combined with Ryan Broyles needing to be on the field for every play eliminated Madu from getting much playing time. Madu is a player, though, now with experience at both positions, that could rotate some from running back to receiver in OU’s fast past offense.

“As we get going after spring break he does have some more time to where he can be a move guy that could all of the sudden pop out and pop back in,” Wilson said. “He’s a running back today and we need to have him have a positive role. He’s a guy that has made some plays. He’s always been the best third-team running back but Mossis needs to have a more positive role and at receiver he was just a slight compliment. He needs to be a major compliment guy who takes some load at tailback and because he does have that receiver time maybe we do all of the sudden flex him out. But it’s because he’s done that more, it’s not that we’re making him a duel position. He’s going to be a tailback who maybe could move around some.”

* Running back Jermie Calhoun, who will be battling Madu for playing at running back along with Jonathan Miller this spring, missed the first day of practice with a head cold. He should be back at 100 percent after spring break.

gaylordfan1
3/11/2010, 08:43 PM
Wow, I have that same head cold. SUCKS! But good, I hope Madu gets some momentum this spring and fall. Calhoun will be a hard player to beat out.