PDA

View Full Version : Capel spells it out

Collier11
3/6/2010, 06:34 PM
“There’s a sense of entitlement with some young kids. ... Kids don’t fear anything. They don’t respect anything.,” Capel said. “But it goes back to me. I’ve done a poor job. I’ve always felt one of my strengths was being able to figure out what buttons to push, how to get best out of guys. I haven’t been able to do that this year.

“It’s been frustrating. Frustrating to me, frustrating for people to watch. It’s embarrassing. I’m ashamed.”

This part is pretty pathetic

“You never sign a team. You sign individuals and you hope they can become a team. That’s something we’ve struggled with all year,” Capel said. “You look at the teams that are at the top, they have a definitive guy who is their best player. And no one has a problem with it. No one has a problem saying Sherron Collins (Kansas) is our best player, James Anderson (Oklahoma State) is our best player, Donald Sloan (A&M) is our best player. There are no other agendas besides winning.

“To be completely candid, we’ve struggled with that all year. If I would have said earlier that Willie is our best player, I may have had three guys in the locker room upset. In conference after five-six games, I say Tommy is our best player, still you may have three guys upset in your locker room.

“That falls back on me. Whether it’s Nate Carter, Blake Griffin, Longar Longar for a stretch, I’ve been able to say these guys are our best player and everything has fallen into place and guys have settled into their roles. On a team, everyone has a role. Everyone has to fall in love with their role. You have to love and embrace your role. If you do that, you have the opportunity to be a good team.

“And we haven’t been a good team all year.”

Read more: http://www.newsok.com/jeff-capel-opens-up-after-sooners-loss-to-aggies/article/3444559?custom_click=lead_story_title#ixzz0hRUtaQ0 G

Crimsontothecore
3/6/2010, 06:55 PM
“There’s a sense of entitlement with some young kids. ... Kids don’t fear anything. They don’t respect anything.,” Capel said. “But it goes back to me. I’ve done a poor job. I’ve always felt one of my strengths was being able to figure out what buttons to push, how to get best out of guys. I haven’t been able to do that this year.

“It’s been frustrating. Frustrating to me, frustrating for people to watch. It’s embarrassing. I’m ashamed.”

This part is pretty pathetic

“You never sign a team. You sign individuals and you hope they can become a team. That’s something we’ve struggled with all year,” Capel said. “You look at the teams that are at the top, they have a definitive guy who is their best player. And no one has a problem with it. No one has a problem saying Sherron Collins (Kansas) is our best player, James Anderson (Oklahoma State) is our best player, Donald Sloan (A&M) is our best player. There are no other agendas besides winning.

“To be completely candid, we’ve struggled with that all year. If I would have said earlier that Willie is our best player, I may have had three guys in the locker room upset. In conference after five-six games, I say Tommy is our best player, still you may have three guys upset in your locker room.

“That falls back on me. Whether it’s Nate Carter, Blake Griffin, Longar Longar for a stretch, I’ve been able to say these guys are our best player and everything has fallen into place and guys have settled into their roles. On a team, everyone has a role. Everyone has to fall in love with their role. You have to love and embrace your role. If you do that, you have the opportunity to be a good team.

“And we haven’t been a good team all year.”

Read more: http://www.newsok.com/jeff-capel-opens-up-after-sooners-loss-to-aggies/article/3444559?custom_click=lead_story_title#ixzz0hRUtaQ0 G

So why doesn't KU completely suck every year considering Bill Self has way more "entitled" Prima Donna's on his roster than OU ever has?

Collier11
3/6/2010, 06:56 PM
Thats what Capel is saying, he wasnt able to rain in all of the egos for whatever reason

oumartin
3/6/2010, 07:49 PM
I've said it all along. Capel is still learning how to be a big time college BBall coach. Now, consider this a learning experience. Now the key is whether or not he actually learned anything from it and becomes a better coach and a better judge of character.

Collier11
3/6/2010, 09:10 PM
anyone that says coaches cant still learn after 8 years on the job are clueless, it looks to me like Roy Williams and Rick Barnes are having quite the learning experiences and they have been far more successful and far more experienced than Capel

When dealing with twelve 18-22 yr olds every year you are going to encounter different scenarios from year to year and that is where you learn

bluedogok
3/6/2010, 09:20 PM
Rick Barnes' news conferences down here have been painful to watch even for a Sooner, he sounds a lot like Capel's article up there after this season. Most of it is parents, coaches and other leeches not doing their jobs before the kid gets to college. It may be time to get rid of the "one and done" NBA rule and get college players back in the game instead of wannabe pros.

1890MilesToNorman
3/6/2010, 09:48 PM
Why would you say any player is the best player? and even if you did it would motivate the others to prove coach wrong. It's a team sport, Capel isn't thinking properly.

Scott D
3/6/2010, 10:01 PM
it's probably the way basketball is structured. You can look at a team and see how there is one guy who is 'the guy' on that team, and the rest of the team structure falls into place around that player.

Last year it was pretty evident that Blake was 'the guy' and everything else that team did revolved around falling into their place around Blake.

The One and done rule has hurt a lot of programs, I'd rather those one and done kids go play that year in Europe or Israel since their eye is on being a pro as quickly as possible. Maybe when more of them are journeyman players in a foreign country for their career you'll get kids more committed to becoming better players through the college system.

Eielson
3/6/2010, 10:33 PM
So why doesn't KU completely suck every year considering Bill Self has way more "entitled" Prima Donna's on his roster than OU ever has?

They don't play like Prima Donna's.

Eielson
3/6/2010, 10:34 PM
Why would you say any player is the best player?

I think what he was saying is IF he said that people would get upset. It's more about them than the team.

Collier11
3/7/2010, 03:15 AM
no sh*t

badger
3/7/2010, 10:53 AM
Why do I suddenly feel like giving poor Jeff Capel a hug? :(

Eielson
3/7/2010, 12:59 PM
no sh*t

He asked a question. I answered. Grow up.

Collier11
3/7/2010, 01:31 PM
ok boss

cheezyq
3/8/2010, 09:59 AM
Why would you say any player is the best player? and even if you did it would motivate the others to prove coach wrong. It's a team sport, Capel isn't thinking properly.

I disagree a bit. I think Capel is thinking properly, although I think he could have worded the phrase better. The problem is when everyone thinks they're the best player at everything. When you have a Blake Griffin or a Larry Bird or a Michael Jordan, etc., everyone knows what that player is capable of, and needs to understand that there are times where they need to take a back seat and let that player do their thing.

Just because a player is the best player, also doesn't mean they take all the shots, etc. It just means they have the best chance at helping the team with whatever it is that they do best.

For instance, if Tiny had accepted his role as a rebounder/shot blocker/position defender and spent less time trying to hit jumpshots, he would have helped the team. If TMG would have spent more time getting into the paint and causing fouls or creating open looks for his teammates, he would have helped the team. The problem is when TMG launches bad shots to try and look like the hero, or when Tiny is trying to take a man off the dribble or hit a big 3 pointer. Sure, they may be capable of hitting those shots from time to time, but doing those things doesn't help the team.

Each player has a strength, and if they play to that strength and accept their "role" within the team structure, the team as a whole would have done much better, even if they feel they're capable of doing more.

The best example was last year for Blake. He had the capability of playing excellent athletic defense and was capable of taking 18-20 foot shots and making them. But what he NEEDED to do for the team was play solid position defense and hit the boards. If BG were selfish, he probably would have taken every man off the dribble, shot 3-pointers, and tried to swat every ball out of bounds. Capel told him that he needed him to rebound and needed him in the game because of his abilities on offense and the boards...so don't foul out. And BG adjusted his play to fit what the TEAM needed.

I think Capel's right, he just needs to rephrase it.

SoonerAtKU
3/8/2010, 10:55 AM
The difference with big-time basketball schools is that they can afford to run off a handful of amazing athletes with bad attitudes, because that means more scholarships for amazing athletes with team attitudes. Kansas has run off more kids than I can remember names for, and these were all-everything guys that ended up playing at other programs. If OU misses on a couple of these, the earth doesn't exactly open up and spew forth McD's All Americans to fill the void.

Red Ada
3/8/2010, 06:25 PM
I've said it all along. Capel is still learning how to be a big time college BBall coach. Now, consider this a learning experience. Now the key is whether or not he actually learned anything from it and becomes a better coach and a better judge of character.

So why did we not wait till he became a "Big time" college coach
before we hired him.

The Big Twelve conference is a hell of place to start practicing.
You do not find many "Practicing" coaches at the other big twelve
schools.

Two million bucks ought to buy more than a
Practicing Coach. Practicing Coach "My ***".

Red Ada
3/8/2010, 06:38 PM
anyone that says coaches cant still learn after 8 years on the job are clueless, it looks to me like Roy Williams and Rick Barnes are having quite the learning experiences and they have been far more successful and far more experienced than Capel

When dealing with twelve 18-22 yr olds every year you are going to encounter different scenarios from year to year and that is where you learn

Yes but both are ranked above Oklahoma
We are the joke of the conference
Capel cant beat his old team.

I wonder how Kansas and Kentucky deal with the same
18-22 year olds.

May be Capel needs more "Practice".
If he cannot handle 18-22 year olds, we need a different coach.

Put the blame where it belongs - Jeff Capel

badger
3/8/2010, 06:38 PM
I have no problem with hiring a younger coach, even if it means a little bit of growing pains. That's part of the college game anyway - they all start as freshmen (well, cept transfers).

Red Ada
3/8/2010, 06:51 PM
I have no problem with hiring a younger coach, even if it means a little bit of growing pains. That's part of the college game anyway - they all start as freshmen (well, cept transfers).

yes, you are probably right. There a going to be growing pains
with young coaches.

It is just frustration on my part. I am not use to seeing the
Sooners near the bottom of the big twelve.

bluedogok
3/8/2010, 11:30 PM
Yes but both are ranked above Oklahoma
We are the joke of the conference
Capel cant beat his old team.

I wonder how Kansas and Kentucky deal with the same
18-22 year olds.

May be Capel needs more "Practice".
If he cannot handle 18-22 year olds, we need a different coach.

Put the blame where it belongs - Jeff Capel
On the news tonight down here they had a graphic showing the Whorns had a dubious distinction this season, they were one of only 4 or 5 teams in history that was ranked #1 at one time during the season and finished the season unranked. I can tell you that expectations were much, much higher down here than they were in Norman this season and they failed miserably...and most of it comes down to today's type of player.

SoonerAtKU
3/9/2010, 03:43 AM
Just as a note about Kentucky, you do realize that the last four years, they've finished with 14, 13, 12, and 13 losses, right? They're great this year, but they've been mediocre for quite a while. Also, let's see what sort of probation they end up on when Calipari leaves.

Red Ada
3/9/2010, 03:41 PM
Just as a note about Kentucky, you do realize that the last four years, they've finished with 14, 13, 12, and 13 losses, right? They're great this year, but they've been mediocre for quite a while. Also, let's see what sort of probation they end up on when Calipari leaves.

Yes, Kentucky did have a problem. They went through Tubby Smith
and Billie Gulespi before Calipari. There maybe an investigation at
Kentucky. There was one at Oklahoma with Sampson. Where was all
the nay sayers at for 12 years or so with Sampson.

They were sitting in the packed stands cheering on his NCAA
tournament bound teams.

And that is what they are doing at Kentucky.
Everrrrrry school has some NCAA violations in their program if you
turn over enough rocks.
Take a look in the athletic Dorm parking lot. Most of these kids
come from dirt poor parents who could not by them a 1988 Opal.

My parents were poor, I went to school. I know what goes on and
so do you.

NCAA picks WHO they want to investigate. Oklahoma and Georgia
filed a lawsuit against the NCAA over football television rights.
The lawsuit took a couple of yours, and the schools won the
lawsuit for all colleges.

The next year both Oklahoma and Georgia football programs were
under NCAA investigation. And were found in violation of NCAA
rules and penalized.

If Oklahoma had never filed the lawsuit the investigation would
never have occurred.

The NCAA can and does pick who they want to go after.
There are violation in all these programs if you want to dig
deep enough. Isn't that right AD and Big Red Cars.

starrca23
3/9/2010, 08:32 PM
yes, you are probably right. There a going to be growing pains
with young coaches.

It is just frustration on my part. I am not use to seeing the
Sooners near the bottom of the big twelve.

You are allowed to be frustrated...just not stupid. You want to blame Jeff Capel, well that is fine. You better be ready to blame him for last year too.

As for young coaches...you have a point. We should have never hired Sherri Coale or Bob Stoops (neither had head coaching experience). :cool:

Time to shut up and let the adults talk now.

Scott D
3/9/2010, 10:17 PM
I'm confused, is Red Ada suggesting that Kentucky who ended up on probation during Eddie Sutton's watch won't end up on probation for violations that somehow magically John Calipari will commit but not be connected to?

Collier11
3/9/2010, 10:18 PM
when red ada speaks it is more like this

Blah blah stupid stupid blah blah crap poop blah

OUstud
3/9/2010, 10:49 PM
Where was all
the nay sayers at for 12 years or so with Sampson.

They were sitting in the packed stands cheering on his NCAA
tournament bound teams.

:gary:

Bourbon St Sooner
3/10/2010, 10:29 AM
So, why didn't we wait until Bob Stoops was a big time coach before we hired him?:rolleyes:

stoopified
3/12/2010, 03:00 PM
[QUOTE=Collier11;2846428]anyone that says coaches cant still learn after 8 years on the job are clueless, it looks to me like Roy Williams and Rick Barnes are having quite the learning experiences and they have been far more successful and far more experienced than Capel

When dealing with twelve 18-22 yr olds every year you are going to encounter different scenarios from year to year and that is where you learn[/QU Bingo That is exactly why I haven't given up on capel.Sometimes things go wrong in spite of your best efforts.Capel is a proven coach who had a team blow up on him,I guarantee it ain't gonna happen next season.Anyone who is NOT 100% committed to tthe team will be gone after this year is gone.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/17/2010, 12:46 AM
Rick Barnes' news conferences down here have been painful to watch even for a Sooner, he sounds a lot like Capel's article up there after this season. Most of it is parents, coaches and other leeches not doing their jobs before the kid gets to college. It may be time to get rid of the "one and done" NBA rule and get college players back in the game instead of wannabe pros.I like your idea, but haven't a clue as to how it could be achieved.

ndpruitt03
3/17/2010, 02:03 AM
Here's what solves it. Do what the MLB does. You have the option of going pro from HS. If they go to college they stay 3 years.

Collier11
3/17/2010, 02:10 AM
ive always liked that idea the best

Scott D
3/17/2010, 02:49 PM
Really out of the four major sports, only the NBA has it wrong.

badger
3/17/2010, 02:55 PM
Here's what solves it. Do what the MLB does. You have the option of going pro from HS. If they go to college they stay 3 years.

Only if the minor league is seen as the only way to get to the pro league will this work like the MLB.

However, it's not completely out of the question that minor league time be required for prep-to-pro players in the future. There are articles out now speculating that stars like Kobe, Garnett and Lebron greatly diminished their pro career lengths by going straight to the hectic, 82-game (more with preseason and playoffs) season that the NBA demand instead of college first.Making it mandatory for prep-to-pro players to not go straight to the NBA but have at least one season of conditioning in a minor league or an overseas league might help... and allow them to play longer than Jordan :D

ndpruitt03
3/17/2010, 03:04 PM
How much basketball does a HS kid play now with AAU. I bet they play games year round now. I know they basically did 10 years ago when I was in HS.

goingoneight
3/17/2010, 05:37 PM
How about making these primadonnas get a degree before they get to go be rich? That solves probably a lot of your thuggery and 6s on Wonderlic tests if kids know from the get-go that the big-time comes through hard work and achievement, rather than entitlement.

badger
3/17/2010, 05:50 PM
How about making these primadonnas get a degree before they get to go be rich? That solves probably a lot of your thuggery and 6s on Wonderlic tests if kids know from the get-go that the big-time comes through hard work and achievement, rather than entitlement.

I once read an article on UT trying to be able to admit freshmen other than the 10 percent of their class, like athletes, to which some Texas state representative suggestive that this would give athletes extra incentive to try hard in school, so that they would be eligible to attend UT.

I smiled as I pictured UT rejecting Vince Young on the basis that he wasn't in the top 10 percent of his high school graduation class. :D

Some kids rely on academics for future success and providing for themselves and their families. Some kids rely on athletics. Why fight it?