PDA

View Full Version : So long Tony and the 2009-2010 season..

OUSKINS
3/6/2010, 02:10 PM
Man, I really felt for Crocker today. I'm pretty sappy and emotional anyway, and Senior Day in basketball always tugs at the heart strings a bit because in basketball you get to "know" the players so well. I purchased season tickets in Capel's first year, which was also Crocker's first year. He was the only one of the recruits to stick around after Sampson left.

Crocker wasn't overly gifted physically, but he wound up having a really nice career at OU despite being forced into some roles for which he probably was not best suited. Most importantly, Crocker gave OU fans some serious highlight-reel memories during his 4 years. The "Baylor Miracle" is still my all-time favorite moment at the LNC... just an awesome experience to be there. And Crocker also stepped up and had a huge game in Stillwater when Blake was out with an injury. To cap it off, Crocker had the game of his life against Syracuse in the Sweet 16 last year. He definitely tended to disappear at times with his scoring and his confidence seemed to waver quite a bit, but all in all, he was a very good Sooner.

He fouled out today and his face told the story of the season....tears were streaming down his face, but he looked much more frustrated and angry than sad. I'm sure it sucks for a guy who played on some pretty good teams to go out on such an incredibly lousy note.

I'll save my final review of the season and season grades until the season officially ends after we're elminated from the B12 tourney, but I wanted to be sure and give Crocker a proper "send off." He didn't deserve to go out like this.

Depending on the outcomes today, it looks like we'll probably be matched up with OSU on Wednesday night. That would at least make the game mildly interesting-- always fun to beat OSU and it would be nice to end this dreadful losing streak (longest in school history now I believe) before next year starts. Having said that, I don't see us winning to say the least...and if Tiny is out (injured today) then it could get really ugly.

Probably only one game left for us Sooner fans for this year....thank heavens.

badger
3/6/2010, 02:24 PM
Much like the 100-year season, I expected more because it was the "Honor Wayman" season :(

Alas, it just wasn't meant to be. Thanks for sticking with OU, Tony. I know that coaching transitions can be difficult and thanks for the memories. I'll never forget how you helped us revenge Syracuse last year.

nighttrain12
3/6/2010, 02:41 PM
Longest losing streak in 40 years!

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recap?gid=201003060444

No. 23 Aggies hand Sooners 8th straight loss
By JEFF LATZKE, AP Sports Writer

NORMAN, Okla. (AP)—Khris Middleton scored 15 points, Bryan Davis added 13 points and 10 rebounds and No. 23 Texas A&M dominated the paint for a 69-54 victory against tumbling Oklahoma on Saturday.

Texas A&M outscored the Sooners 38-16 in the paint and shot 52 percent while winning for the eighth time in their last 10 games. Oklahoma (13-17, 4-12) has allowed its last seven opponents to shoot at least 50 percent during an eight-game losing streak, the school’s longest since February 1969.

nighttrain12
3/6/2010, 02:42 PM
Let's beat those DAMN Aggies on Wednesday!

SoonerGrant
3/6/2010, 05:07 PM
First losing record in 29 years.

soonervegas
3/6/2010, 06:48 PM
Its sucks for his senior season to go out like this, but down the road he will remember the good stuff. Round of 32 in 2008, Elite 8 in 2009.......and owning Syacuse in a revenge game for OU fans. That will be my memory of Crocker...that game in Memphis.

King Crimson
3/6/2010, 07:12 PM
Its sucks for his senior season to go out like this, but down the road he will remember the good stuff. Round of 32 in 2008, Elite 8 in 2009.......and owning Syacuse in a revenge game for OU fans. That will be my memory of Crocker...that game in Memphis.

and the Baylor 4 point play. the 2008 win over St. Joe's is not to be underestimated. every "pundit" on planet earth picked us to lose that one.

beating Boeheim and the Cuse is all good with me.

Sooner95
3/6/2010, 07:46 PM
Well said. Here's to getting a win in the Big12 tourney, and finishing this season on a high note.

oumartin
3/6/2010, 07:46 PM
I really liked Tony and will miss watching him play. At least he played his guts out which is something few on this team can say

...sooner
3/8/2010, 09:08 AM
you know the amount of fans that were left standing after the game was pathetic i get we lost but STILL. these 3 guys that were seniors have worked their butts off for OU & been wonderful. Tony Crocker has been an amazing player for OU & you can see how HARD he tries & never gives up & plays with heart. Beau.. personally i always like the walk on guys who never play just because they are the loudest on the bench & they are always the first to give a guy a high five coming to the bench & beau has been here for 4 years & just been great. Ryan has been here for 3 years 2 he played & has for sure had some good moments for us. he definitely works hard & knows what it takes to be a sooner. all these guys were great & it sucks it had to end like this.

seniors you will be missed :(