PDA

View Full Version : Handgun ****** *******s

Veritas
3/6/2010, 01:53 PM
Me and the wife are going to exercise our rights and buy some guns. I've been doing research and have a narrowed my choices to either .40S&W or .45. Mrs. V is thinking 9mm but I'm trying to get her to go to a bigger round.

I've been looking at H&Ks, Sigs, Springfields, and Wilsons. Prices are all over the place and to be real candid I don't know enough to see the justification for the price difference between and HK and a Springfield other than brand name. Of course, nobody is letting me shoot the things before I buy, which is of course the most important thing.

These are really just for fun; pistols are silly for home defense IMO. I have a Mossberg 500 Persuader for that purpose. Which as a side note, I love that name, the Persuader. I think chambering a round would be enough to persuade anyone to exit my home, it sounds scary as hell.

Anyhoo, what say you, gun nuts?

Collier11
3/6/2010, 01:56 PM
bazooka...ywia

Tulsa_Fireman
3/6/2010, 02:00 PM
So if it's not for protecting yourself or your home, why does it matter? Are you gonna get a concealed carry? Will you be traveling with it? Are you shooting targets and nothing else? Is it an investment?

Bunch of questions surrounding it, I'd think. But if you don't ever want to put the weapon in a position to have to defend yourself with, I'd personally say buy whatever you can shoot the cheapest. And if that's the case, your ol' lady may have something with 9mm.

And the obligatory statement, if you want to kick *** and be a stud, buy this.

http://mossycreekcustom.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/the-judge.jpg

Veritas
3/6/2010, 02:00 PM
bazooka...ywia
That's why I'm leaning toward 45ACP. :D

yermom
3/6/2010, 02:06 PM
well, really depending on how much you are going to shoot the price of the gun doesn't matter that much... it's more about the ammo. 9mm < .40 < .45 as far as price goes

i've heard a lot of reloaders talk about 10mm because of the versatility

i really like my Springfield XD .40 but it's not near as accurate as my Colt

i've kinda thought about getting a P22 to plink with. since they are like free to shoot :D

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2010, 02:22 PM
These are really just for fun; pistols are silly for home defense IMO. I have a Mossberg 500 Persuader for that purpose.

Pistols are easier to wield in the confines of a home, IMO. This is why I wish the ban on sawed off shotguns was lifted. (Although the pistol-grip shotguns aren't bad.)

Pistols also don't blow the crap out of your personal possessions like a shotgun.

Stitch Face
3/6/2010, 02:33 PM
pistols are silly for home defense IMO

That's why I use a jar of acid

delhalew
3/6/2010, 02:38 PM
I love springfields. I have a milspec 1911 that I love and would pick up an XD when possible. Check to see if a range nearby keeps different firearms that you can try out. Many do keep guns you can rent.
9mm is good for the ole lady. My wife can fire the 45 ACP safely, but that doesn't mean she enjoys it like I do. You need to consider, if it is unpleasant she won't shoot it.
I'd bet if you bought a 38 revolver, she would like it.
Notice with the Taurus Judge pictured above, it fires .410 shells and 45 Colt BIG difference from 45 ACP.

Harry Beanbag
3/6/2010, 02:46 PM
I have an XD-9 and love it. Extremely easy to maintain, easy to shoot, little recoil, and holds 16+1. If you have the proper round, 9mm is plenty effective enough, especially 17 of them. Besides, 9mm is about half the price as .45 ACP ammo.

All that being said, I will be getting a Springfield Milspec 1911 in the next few months just because I want one. :)

the_ouskull
3/6/2010, 02:47 PM
The "cheap ammo" point is a great one, but if you're ever going to have to fire larger pistols, you may as well practice with them as well. Ditto with rifles...

Rifle: Enfield .303.
Pistol: Colt King Cobra .357

Any one'a these'd be ideal for.. home defense.

Sincerely,

http://www.filmdope.com/Gallery/ActorsM/12032-19124.gif

the_ouskull

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/6/2010, 02:57 PM
Hey, let's have a 2nd amendment discussion. Are you part of a well regulated militia?

Curly Bill
3/6/2010, 03:09 PM
Between the .40 and the .45, I prefer the .40 More rounds available, and with greater velocity than the .45, better terminal ballistics when the bullet meets the bad guy.

My usual carry gun is a Glock 23 in .40 S&W. Where I buying a new one I'd look at the Sig p229.

I think the 9mm would be a great choice for the wife. Load it up with the best bullets available and you have a very effective personal defense weapon that will have minimal recoil. Again, can't go wrong with one of the Glocks or Sig Sauers.

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2010, 03:09 PM
Hey, let's have a 2nd amendment discussion. Are you part of a well regulated militia?

Don't need to be.

Now that I have settled that matter once and for all, let's get back to talking about guns.

Stitch Face
3/6/2010, 03:14 PM
Don't try to interfere with my right to arm bears...

Collier11
3/6/2010, 03:19 PM
Don't try to interfere with my right to arm bears...

Ive always wanted to buy this tshirt

http://www.demopolislive.com/gallery/images/1/large/1_the_right_to_bear_arms.jpg

Collier11
3/6/2010, 03:19 PM
I love this cartoon

http://www.lucente.org/blog/media/1/20080626-right-to-bear-arms.gif

Collier11
3/6/2010, 03:20 PM
This is outside Vets place

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/data/3243/right_to_bear_arms.jpg

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2010, 03:22 PM
Policeman: I don't see Obama's signature anywhere on that document.

Curly Bill
3/6/2010, 03:27 PM
This is outside Vets place

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/data/3243/right_to_bear_arms.jpg

How do ya conceal that thing when you go out? :D

Collier11
3/6/2010, 03:30 PM
he just references post 16 of this thread

Leroy Lizard
3/6/2010, 03:36 PM
How do ya conceal that thing when you go out?

What jet plane are you talking about, officer?

delhalew
3/6/2010, 03:44 PM
Hey V, this is the Mossberg I went with
http://mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=26&section=products

It is slightly longer (20 in as opposed to 18.5 in), extended magazine (8+1 I think it is), and has a heavy barrel ( good for magnums). Its too heavy for the ole lady, but she can use it if she needs it. If you still want a pistol grip you can do that...not me. They have collapsable M-4 style stocks available that change it to pistol grip, but one of my favorite things about Mossberg is the safety position and pistol grip on a Mossberg kind of nullifies that advantage.

Scott D
3/6/2010, 03:52 PM
I know some dudes that can sell you some stuff.

StoopTroup
3/6/2010, 04:51 PM
The bigger the gun...the bigger your penis is.

Tulsa_Fireman
3/6/2010, 06:12 PM
OMG I HAVE A BRAZILLION CALIBER HOWITZER

captain_surly
3/7/2010, 09:50 AM
I've been looking at H&Ks, Sigs, Springfields, and Wilsons.

These are really just for fun; pistols are silly for home defense IMO.

One of these is not like the others. If you can afford a Wilson 1911 in 45 ACP that's pretty much top of the line stuff and the price of ammo shouldn't be an issue. If your wife wants a 9MM the Browning HiPower is a classic and hard to beat for a single stack. The Glocks in 9MM are dependable, reliable and high capacity if you don't mind the no manual safety thing.

A Browning Buckmark in 22LR is my favorite pistol to shoot.

I Am Right
3/7/2010, 10:08 AM
Either way you go, good choice.

delhalew
3/7/2010, 10:48 AM
This is my Springfield 1911a1. She is a sweet bitch. If want to go gunsmith crazy this can be as fancy as a Wilson, but its accurate enough for me and runs about $600 as opposed to $2000 and up for most Wilsons.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v653/delhalew/1911digipicresize.bmp

Veritas
3/7/2010, 01:38 PM
If you can afford a Wilson 1911 in 45 ACP that's pretty much top of the line stuff and the price of ammo shouldn't be an issue. If your wife wants a 9MM the Browning HiPower is a classic and hard to beat for a single stack. The Glocks in 9MM are dependable, reliable and high capacity if you don't mind the no manual safety thing.
I can afford a Wilson but I don't want to start out with that nice of a gun, you know? I'd have no appreciation for it, pearls before swine kind of thing.

I'm currently leaning toward a .40 Springfield XDM...nice price point, good reviews, etc.

Tulsa_Fireman
3/7/2010, 02:59 PM
http://www.willsegerman.com/uploaded_images/big-gun01-780368.jpg

Okla-homey
3/7/2010, 03:45 PM
That's why I'm leaning toward 45ACP. :D

You know why I prefer 45ACP? Because they don't make a 46ACP.

If you are going to shoot at an intruder or attacker, you should shoot to kill. My advice is, if you don't feel you can take a life to protect yourself and/or your family, you shouldn't carry a gun or have one in your home. Because that hesitancy at nut-cuttin' time can get you killed, perhaps with your own gun.

I have a shotgun strategically placed in our home "Alamo" room. The theory is, if it becomes apparent he's intent on breaking down the door and getting after us, he gets to say hello to nine "00" buckshot pellets launched at 1300 feet per second. That ought to satisfy his curiosity and take the starch out of him. For the record, those nine "00" buckshot pellets are each approximately .32 caliber lead balls.

But for clearing your home of a suspected intruder, a handgun in 45ACP and a powerful tactical flashlight is the way to go. Long guns are too easily grabbed by the bad guy as you come around a corner or enter a room because you must have the gun mounted on your shoulder and ready to fire as you do so. If he grabs that barrel, he may be able to wrestle it away from you.

captain_surly
3/7/2010, 03:57 PM
I can afford a Wilson but I don't want to start out with that nice of a gun, you know? I'd have no appreciation for it, pearls before swine kind of thing.

I'm currently leaning toward a .40 Springfield XDM...nice price point, good reviews, etc.

You really need to shoot a 40 before you buy one. Maybe you already have. The Springfield XDM is a good choice but I'm not a fan of the caliber. The extra recoil doesn't justify the slight advantage in energy over the 9MM IMHO. I can shoot a 9 one handed with either hand and hit what I'm aiming at. Not so much with the 40.

There are ranges that will rent you guns, probably a good idea before investing.

Harry Beanbag
3/7/2010, 04:24 PM
45 has a more manageable recoil than 40, IMO. More of a push instead of a flip.

delhalew
3/7/2010, 11:04 PM
You know why I prefer 45ACP? Because they don't make a 46ACP.

If you are going to shoot at an intruder or attacker, you should shoot to kill. My advice is, if you don't feel you can take a life to protect yourself and/or your family, you shouldn't carry a gun or have one in your home. Because that hesitancy at nut-cuttin' time can get you killed, perhaps with your own gun.

I have a shotgun strategically placed in our home "Alamo" room. The theory is, if it becomes apparent he's intent on breaking down the door and getting after us, he gets to say hello to nine "00" buckshot pellets launched at 1300 feet per second. That ought to satisfy his curiosity and take the starch out of him. For the record, those nine "00" buckshot pellets are each approximately .32 caliber lead balls.

But for clearing your home of a suspected intruder, a handgun in 45ACP and a powerful tactical flashlight is the way to go. Long guns are too easily grabbed by the bad guy as you come around a corner or enter a room because you must have the gun mounted on your shoulder and ready to fire as you do so. If he grabs that barrel, he may be able to wrestle it away from you.

These are trueisms.:D

soonerboomer93
3/8/2010, 10:40 AM
I'd suggest a sling shot and a rock, that can knock the **** outta someone if you hit 'em in the head

C&CDean
3/8/2010, 11:00 AM
You are all wrong.

A .357 delivers more punch than a .40 or a .45. If you leave one chamber on a revolver emply under the hammer, it's completely safe. If you have to shoot someone, you don't have to think. You can pull the trigger, or **** it and then pull the trigger. Since there is no round under the hammer, you can throw it against the wall or anything else and it won't accidently fire.

I'm actually kind of looking for a .357 auto, but haven't seen any really good reviews on them.

As for Homey's advice, he is spot on - except the .00 buckshot. Load that bitch with birdshot. I keep my pistol gripped 12-gauge under the bed loaded with 7 rounds of 7.5 shot. The idea is if somebody is within 20 feet or so, it'll cut them in half. If you kid is on the other side of the wall, it won't penetrate. If you aim it down a hallway and shoot, you will take out everything in that hallway, but not penetrate the walls or doors.

OU4LIFE
3/8/2010, 11:11 AM
I know Taurus is a name typically associated with average quality handguns, but their new .45 meets all military specs and is an excellent weapon at the price point.

.45 has always been my favorite round.

Tulsa_Fireman
3/8/2010, 11:35 AM
As for Homey's advice, he is spot on - except the .00 buckshot. Load that bitch with birdshot. I keep my pistol gripped 12-gauge under the bed loaded with 7 rounds of 7.5 shot. The idea is if somebody is within 20 feet or so, it'll cut them in half. If you kid is on the other side of the wall, it won't penetrate. If you aim it down a hallway and shoot, you will take out everything in that hallway, but not penetrate the walls or doors.

I've always been in the Homey camp on the .00 buck for defending the hacienda. But now that you mention it, I've never patterned 00 in my 12 I use for the house. Which leads to the question, how do you have yours choked?

My scenario is similar with a roughly 20' straight hallway being all I need to cover to defend my girls. My logic was full choke, 00 buck, and a stack of dead bastards in the hall. So to put someone in the hurt locker with #7, are you running tighter than full? Has anyone ever thrown 00 down a super full and if so, how'd it pattern for you? Key point being the above, my girls safe and a pile of dead meat for the ME to come pick up.

C&CDean
3/8/2010, 12:06 PM
I've always been in the Homey camp on the .00 buck for defending the hacienda. But now that you mention it, I've never patterned 00 in my 12 I use for the house. Which leads to the question, how do you have yours choked?

My scenario is similar with a roughly 20' straight hallway being all I need to cover to defend my girls. My logic was full choke, 00 buck, and a stack of dead bastards in the hall. So to put someone in the hurt locker with #7, are you running tighter than full? Has anyone ever thrown 00 down a super full and if so, how'd it pattern for you? Key point being the above, my girls safe and a pile of dead meat for the ME to come pick up.

At 20' with .00 at full choke you're gonna punch a hole about the size of a baseball, or maybe even a little smaller in something. It ain't gonna cover the whole hallway.

At 20' with #7 and a modified or open choke you're gonna shred meat into hamburger from about 3' off the floor to about 6', and from wall-to-wall in the hallway.

If your girls are somewhere at the end of the hallway, and you miss the perp with the .00 on full choke you're gonna punch a baseball sized hole through sheetrock and whatever else is beyond.

yermom
3/8/2010, 12:18 PM
You are all wrong.

A .357 delivers more punch than a .40 or a .45. If you leave one chamber on a revolver emply under the hammer, it's completely safe. If you have to shoot someone, you don't have to think. You can pull the trigger, or **** it and then pull the trigger. Since there is no round under the hammer, you can throw it against the wall or anything else and it won't accidently fire.

I'm actually kind of looking for a .357 auto, but haven't seen any really good reviews on them.

.357 Sig?

i've only really seen the Glocks, but i haven't really looked much. and i'm not a fan of the Glocks because of the lack of safeties as mentioned earlier

C&CDean
3/8/2010, 12:19 PM
Dude, Glocks have 7 safeties. Read their lit.

Veritas
3/8/2010, 12:20 PM
Dean, Glock or Springfield XDM, your take?

C&CDean
3/8/2010, 12:25 PM
Springfield is cheaper. I like the Glocks though. Kinda like buying a John Deere tractor or a New Holland. I own John Deeres (except one Kubota) for the same reasons I'd own a Glock.

JD's are reliable, easy to work on, and they hold their resale value very well.

I've never had a Glock, nor do I know of anyone who has had one that jams. They're easy to take apart and clean, and they hold their resale value very well.

Is it worth the extra $150 or so? To me it is.

C&CDean
3/8/2010, 12:26 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, they'll both plow a field or blow a hole. It's all the other stuff you've gotta think about.

yermom
3/8/2010, 12:28 PM
Dude, Glocks have 7 safeties. Read their lit.

i'm aware. i've seen the guts. i just like the grip safety on my XD. it's like a happy medium between the 1911 and the Glock

i also didn't like the way the Glock fit in my hand though

C&CDean
3/8/2010, 12:32 PM
i'm aware. i've seen the guts. i just like the grip safety on my XD. it's like a happy medium between the 1911 and the Glock

i also didn't like the way the **** fit in my hand though

WHA??:eek:

Veritas
3/8/2010, 12:37 PM
Springfield is cheaper. I like the Glocks though. Kinda like buying a John Deere tractor or a New Holland. I own John Deeres (except one Kubota) for the same reasons I'd own a Glock.

I've never had a Glock, nor do I know of anyone who has had one that jams. They're easy to take apart and clean, and they hold their resale value very well.

We're a green family. And not the faggoty prius kinda green. So that argument has lotsa traction.

boomersooner28
3/8/2010, 12:49 PM
Just to add to the conversation...me and a buddy had a shooting competition yesterday. My Springfield XD .40 vs his Springfield 1911. I whipped his ***. Just sayin. :D

I love my XD 40

Harry Beanbag
3/8/2010, 12:52 PM

i also didn't like the way the Glock fit in my hand though

Same with me. When you boil it all down, the only safety on the Glock is the trigger. If you pull the trigger it'll go bang which in my book isn't much of a safety at all.

Harry Beanbag
3/8/2010, 12:54 PM

I don't think XD(M)'s are cheaper than Glocks.

C&CDean
3/8/2010, 01:25 PM
All the more reason to buy a Glock then. And last time I checked, when you pull the trigger you kinda want it to go "bang" no?

Harry Beanbag
3/8/2010, 01:53 PM
Nothing wrong with having a proper grip before the gun will fire.

C&CDean
3/8/2010, 01:58 PM
Nothing wrong with teaching your kids how to properly handle a firearm either. What kind of dumbass picks up a gun with their finger on the trigger?

But this is also why momma has a .357 revolver with an empy chamber under the hammer. Womens you just can't teach.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/8/2010, 02:06 PM
Whatever gun you decide on, get Hornady Critical Defense ammo. Poly center that allows for good barrel exit, trajectory and when entering target will bloom nicely for a larger wound and better stopping power.

Harry Beanbag
3/8/2010, 02:08 PM
Apparently, Dean is a big Glock fan. :)

C&CDean
3/8/2010, 02:10 PM
Not really. I just like something that works every time, and if I decide to get rid of it, I can get most of my $$ back.

And I am most certainly not a fan of big glocks.

salth2o
3/8/2010, 03:49 PM
I have a Colt Python .357 revolver with one empty chamber just as Dean has described, just in case The Redhead needs some firepower.

With regards to .45's, I am a fan of the Kimber 1911 Custom CDP II.

OU4LIFE
3/8/2010, 04:23 PM
Not really. I just like something that works every time, and if I decide to get rid of it, I can get most of my $$ back.

And I am most certainly not a fan of big glocks.

ah, Dean likes the tiny Glocks.

go tit.

C&CDean
3/8/2010, 04:26 PM
Actually I do hairy boy. For personal carry, the smaller Glocks are perfect. I'm looking at a 10mm right now. $575 brandy new. Tempting....

yermom
3/8/2010, 04:34 PM
it is pretty cool that the 3 sizes all use the same magazines

the super small ones like the 29 just seem so strange with only like 2 fingers holding them

Okla-homey
3/8/2010, 05:23 PM
Just to add to the conversation...me and a buddy had a shooting competition yesterday. My Springfield XD .40 vs his Springfield 1911. I whipped his ***. Just sayin. :D

I love my XD 40

If you ever have to pop a cap in a perp, statistically speaking, it will be inside of 10 feet. Thus, target shooting prowess has very little to do with it. What has everything to do with it at that range is bullet mass. Those litle .40 bullets are cute, but they simply don't have the knockdown power of the greatest personal defense round ever devised by the hand of man.

C&CDean
3/8/2010, 05:29 PM
If you ever have to pop a cap in a perp, statistically speaking, it will be inside of 10 feet. Thus, target shooting prowess has very little to do with it. What has everything to do with it at that range is bullet mass. Those litle .40 bullets are cute, but they simply don't have the knockdown power of the greatest personal defense round ever devised by the hand of man.

The .357 mag, or the 10mm??:texan:

Okla-homey
3/8/2010, 05:32 PM

My "Alamo" shotgun is a Winchester 870 with an 18" barrel. Unchoked. Four in the magazine cylinder, five on the stock in a stock-mounted shell carrier. With integral Surefire tactical light.

And if #7 1/2 shot was ideal for anti-personnel, that's what would be issued our shotgun armed troops. It ain't. "00" buckshot is. Plus, armed with that load, you can blow a door if necessary if the bad guy has someone you care about behind a locked door.

Okla-homey
3/8/2010, 05:33 PM
The .357 mag, or the 10mm??:texan:

Stop it. Just stop it. You'll have these people rushing out to buy popguns or untested technology like that BS 10mm round.

yermom
3/8/2010, 05:44 PM
the problems i see with those calibers is the availability of the ammo

most cops use .40 autos. it's not hard to find the stuff. still not like 9mm or .45 ACP though

and i don't think service members are as worried about walls and hallways the same way home defenders might be. i'm not sure of the patterns, but i don't think that's an apples to apples comparison

Curly Bill
3/8/2010, 06:59 PM

You might wanna check actual studies on this issue.

I know all you military guys over 100 years old think the .45 is magic, but it's not.

delhalew
3/8/2010, 08:55 PM
Somebody is unaware that Springfield make high quality, dependable firearms.

.40 is not a caliber I am in a big hurry to add to the lineup.
In terms of handguns, if I were to step outside of .45 or 9mm, I would go with a 357 revolver.

Okla-homey
3/9/2010, 12:59 AM
You might wanna check actual studies on this issue.

I know all you military guys over 100 years old think the .45 is magic, but it's not.

No cartridge is magic, but the 45ACP is clearly superior to the 9MM pistol cartridge. That is why USASOC retrofitted its direct action units with pistols chambered for 45ACP.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/9/2010, 02:59 AM
The Detective on Southland did a good job on perps in her house with birdshot...

OU4LIFE
3/9/2010, 04:28 AM
Actually I do hairy boy. For personal carry, the smaller Glocks are perfect. I'm looking at a 10mm right now. $575 brandy new. Tempting....

I have man hands, so i prefer a weapon that I can wield more comfortably.

and all the smooth talking in the world isn't going to get into my pants, Dean...so just stop.

OU4LIFE
3/9/2010, 04:31 AM
Somebody is unaware that Springfield make high quality, dependable firearms.

.40 is not a caliber I am in a big hurry to add to the lineup.
In terms of handguns, if I were to step outside of .45 or 9mm, I would go with a 357 revolver.

I used to own a Dan Wesson .357 Maximum.

it was cool. and got recalled.

Veritas
3/9/2010, 05:04 AM
After reading through all of this discussion about "perps" and such, I've made a decision for home defense: a Stihl MS Magnum 460 R. The R stands for Rescue. And it's a Magnum.

If this won't make a home invader **** their pants, I ask you what will:
http://www.stihl.com/upload/produkte/images/gruppen/rettungssaege.jpg

Harry Beanbag
3/9/2010, 06:23 AM

Cute little .40 bullets? You're just being silly now.

C&CDean
3/9/2010, 05:13 PM
Stop it. Just stop it. You'll have these people rushing out to buy popguns or untested technology like that BS 10mm round.

You'd better check your ballistics there homeslice. A .357 delivers substantially more muzzle velocity AND energy than the .45. The 10mm is the only autoloader that comes close to the .357. I know, I like the .45 too, I mean it would actually knock down them Phillipino warrior dudes when the Navy colt wouldn't, but there's more lethal/powerful/deadly autos out there.

And your .00 dissertation is based on military action, not home protection. In home protection, you want to make sure you stop the perp with minimal damage to everything/everyone else. I've shot full-brass 3" .00 into an old washing machine and them pellets went completely through. WTF wants that inside their house? All you wanna do is deflesh the **********, and within 10 feet, #7 shot will disembowel the boy and decorate the back wall with his innards. Ain't that enough?

Oldnslo
3/9/2010, 05:47 PM
Just to throw my .02 in, the Springfield 1911 is what feels most "right" in my hand, and I went into the shop presold on Glock, since that's pretty much what every officer I know carries. Once they get more 9mm 1911s in, I'm buying.

C&CDean
3/9/2010, 05:48 PM
The 1911 does feel great in your hand, but it's like trying to carry a brick around concealed.

Oldnslo
3/9/2010, 05:52 PM
The 1911 does feel great in your hand, but it's like trying to carry a brick around concealed.

Is that a 1911 in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?

I doubt I'd carry it on my person. I want a gun where the trigger pull feels the same for every shot and where I'm going to hit what I aim at. For me, the 1911 9mm is the best-of-all-worlds alternative.

olevetonahill
3/9/2010, 06:07 PM
I know some dudes that can sell you some stuff.

What you go to Gun shows in LA to ?

Heres what I have fer Home self defense ;)
p4ebtj1jR7c

yermom
3/9/2010, 06:14 PM

at least the 1911 is single stacked...

olevetonahill
3/9/2010, 06:21 PM
All this talk about halls an shat confuses me .
Its pretty simple to my thinking . A perp breaks in the shack, I got what it takes to take em down THROUGH the walls I aint peekin around corners and I aint waitin on em to come around at me . If yer weapon WONT shoot thru the walls with enough force to take an arsewipe down .Get a Bigger Caliber .;)

yermom
3/9/2010, 06:22 PM
just don't hit your weiner

Curly Bill
3/9/2010, 07:28 PM
No cartridge is magic, but the 45ACP is clearly superior to the 9MM pistol cartridge. That is why USASOC retrofitted its direct action units with pistols chambered for 45ACP.

But you were talking about the .40,and the proof does not back up the .45 being superior to the .40

salth2o
3/9/2010, 07:53 PM
All this talk about halls an shat confuses me .
Its pretty simple to my thinking . A perp breaks in the shack, I got what it takes to take em down THROUGH the walls I aint peekin around corners and I aint waitin on em to come around at me . If yer weapon WONT shoot thru the walls with enough force to take an arsewipe down .Get a Bigger Caliber .;)

However, those of us with young 'uns in the house who may be sleeping in a room beyond the scumbag intruder...there are a few more things to consider.

beer4me
3/9/2010, 09:13 PM
How do ya conceal that thing when you go out? :D

From what I hear on this board he has a big member so it goes unnoticed;)

OklaPony
3/10/2010, 12:11 PM
I'm kind of going through the same thing in deciding which handgun to get. I've pretty well settled on 9mm, but want to shoot a few before I make the leap. A couple of models currently have me intrigued. Kahr CW9 for a CC weapon... haven't shot one yet but love the size, I'm hoping H&H has one to rent on the range. SW M&P looks pretty solid. I wouldn't mind finding a nice used SW 5906 or 3913. I think I'd favor the 3913 just for the slimmer profile for use as a CC weapon.

yermom
3/10/2010, 12:16 PM
interesting.

i had entertained a P9 in the past as a potential CC gun, but i haven't been shopping around in a while

salth2o
3/10/2010, 12:26 PM
I'm kind of going through the same thing in deciding which handgun to get. I've pretty well settled on 9mm, but want to shoot a few before I make the leap. A couple of models currently have me intrigued. Kahr CW9 for a CC weapon... haven't shot one yet but love the size, I'm hoping H&H has one to rent on the range. SW M&P looks pretty solid. I wouldn't mind finding a nice used SW 5906 or 3913. I think I'd favor the 3913 just for the slimmer profile for use as a CC weapon.

I have a Ruger P89 9mm that is a sweet, very reliable shooter. It is heavy, though, and not very good for CC.

OU4LIFE
3/10/2010, 03:13 PM
You just described me in college.

olevetonahill
3/10/2010, 03:21 PM
However, those of us with young 'uns in the house who may be sleeping in a room beyond the scumbag intruder...there are a few more things to consider.

Put em in a room behind ya ;)

TenkillerSooner
3/10/2010, 06:50 PM
A couple of models currently have me intrigued. Kahr CW9 for a CC weapon... haven't shot one yet but love the size, I'm hoping H&H has one to rent on the range.

I just ordered an MK9 Elite last week for CC but there is about a two month backorder from Kahr.

Curly Bill
3/10/2010, 07:28 PM

I have a S&W 6906 (stainless version of the 5906). I like it except for the trigger which is way too stout in my opinion. I've long considered having the trigger worked on to lighten it up, but I normally carry a Glock 23 anyway, so have just never got around to it.

TenkillerSooner
3/10/2010, 10:47 PM
For the OP, also consider the CZ line. I bought my CZ 75 new in '95 and I'll never get rid of it. I considered getting a small CZ for CC actually.

GottaHavePride
3/10/2010, 11:01 PM

I've got the Kahr E9. For a small gun, it fits my hand really well. (And I have pretty big hands.)

No safety on the Kahr, but I don't consider that a bad thing in a carry gun.

soonerloyal
3/10/2010, 11:23 PM
I'm partial to Sigs, mahself.

OU4LIFE
3/11/2010, 10:04 AM
I'm partial to the Desert Eagle myself, it fits my hand...but it's not exactly a CC weapon.

That's right, Israeli Arms....I said it.

yermom
3/11/2010, 10:07 AM
there's always the Baby Eagle

OU4LIFE
3/11/2010, 10:15 AM
I like the heft of the original, I used to have one in .357.

Nice weapon. Always wanted a .50

C&CDean
3/11/2010, 10:20 AM
I'm partial to the Desert Eagle myself, it fits my hand...but it's not exactly a CC weapon.

That's right, Israeli Arms....I said it.

I've got a stainless Ruger .480 mag with an 8" barrell and a scope on it. It's a serious bitch to CC. It sits on a built-in dresser inside the walk-in closet. I figure if the shotgun fails, and the .357 fails (both are within reach from laying in bed) then I can always go in the closet and pull out the big artillery. Right next to the built-in dresser sits an SKS and an old Sears pump 12-gauge.

Of course between the bed and closet next to the window are a .22 mag rifle for the skunks, coons, possums, and dillos, and a .22-250 for the coyotes and foxes. I think I pretty much have all the bases covered for home protection from 2 or 4 legged animals.

OklaPony
3/11/2010, 12:00 PM
I've got the Kahr E9. For a small gun, it fits my hand really well. (And I have pretty big hands.)

No safety on the Kahr, but I don't consider that a bad thing in a carry gun.
I've got a few questions for you...

Have you had any issues with it?

How long have you had it, how many rounds, etc.?

Oldnslo
3/15/2010, 03:04 PM
I've got a stainless Ruger .480 mag with an 8" barrell and a scope on it. It's a serious bitch to CC. It sits on a built-in dresser inside the walk-in closet. I figure if the shotgun fails, and the .357 fails (both are within reach from laying in bed) then I can always go in the closet and pull out the big artillery. Right next to the built-in dresser sits an SKS and an old Sears pump 12-gauge.

Of course between the bed and closet next to the window are a .22 mag rifle for the skunks, coons, possums, and dillos, and a .22-250 for the coyotes and foxes. I think I pretty much have all the bases covered for home protection from 2 or 4 legged animals.

When I was a prosecutor, listening to the stories my victims would tell of their event, what always struck me most was the speed with which it all went down.

Dean, you won't have time to get past whatever your first choice is. It won't be a siege. Add in the element of surprise, and all most of us can hope for is that we make it to our weapon of first choice before it all hits the fan.

C&CDean
3/15/2010, 03:26 PM
Oh I know. I just like knowing there's a firearm of some type, locked and loaded, within a few steps of anywhere I am in the house. Besides, my driveway is over 1/4 mile long, and there's only one way in, and one way out. Nobody comes up there uninvited. Hell, every vehicle and piece of equipment I own sits with the keys in them right now, and the doors of the house are unlocked. I don't have a clue where my key is, and haven't for years. I don't even know if I have a key to the house to be honest.

OklaPony
3/17/2010, 11:18 AM
H&H has a Kahr CW9 in their rental fleet so I went and shot a few rounds through it. Real solid little gun, I think that's the one I'm going to buy.

GottaHavePride
3/20/2010, 01:31 AM
I've got a few questions for you...

Have you had any issues with it?

How long have you had it, how many rounds, etc.?

Sorry, just saw this. Anyway, I actually just got the E9 at Christmas, and I've been so ridiculously busy I haven't done more than dry-fire it to get used to how it feels in the hand. My dad has a couple of other Kahrs, though, and he's never had any issues with them.

Side note... My dad just picked up a Springfield Armory XDM-9. I think next time I have the available funds I'll be getting one of those, too... There's something nice about having 20 rounds available without swapping mags.

OklaPony
3/23/2010, 05:52 PM
Sorry, just saw this. Anyway, I actually just got the E9 at Christmas, and I've been so ridiculously busy I haven't done more than dry-fire it to get used to how it feels in the hand. My dad has a couple of other Kahrs, though, and he's never had any issues with them.
I was surprised at how solid the CW feels. Surprising for such a small frame.

Side note... My dad just picked up a Springfield Armory XDM-9. I think next time I have the available funds I'll be getting one of those, too... There's something nice about having 20 rounds available without swapping mags.
But, is it small enough to carry with relative ease?

Okla-homey
3/23/2010, 07:33 PM
When I was a prosecutor, listening to the stories my victims would tell of their event, what always struck me most was the speed with which it all went down.

Dean, you won't have time to get past whatever your first choice is. It won't be a siege. Add in the element of surprise, and all most of us can hope for is that we make it to our weapon of first choice before it all hits the fan.

I agree. That's why we keep all our doors locked even when we're at home, we set our wireless security system every night when he hit the sack, and the two dogs always let us know if anyone is within 20 feet of the house anyway.

I keeped a cocked-and-locked 1911 in every room in my house I'm likely to be in - family room, bedroom, study, and the loaded shotgun in the "alamo" room. On weekends, I'm carrying while knocking around the house and yard.

Thus, God-willing, anything hitting the fan oughtta be the perp's brain matter who is stupid enough to think something in our house is worth his life.

Harry Beanbag
3/23/2010, 08:10 PM
But, is it small enough to carry with relative ease?

Depends on you I suppose, but the XDM-9 has a 4.5" barrel and a grip large enough to hold 19 rounds of 9mm. Not really an ideal conceal gun compared to say the LCP or the like.

I have an XD-9 service model with a 4 inch barrel that holds 16+1, and it is too large for me to conceal. But of course I'm a midget.

sooner ngintunr
3/23/2010, 08:17 PM
I agree. That's why we keep all our doors locked even when we're at home, we set our wireless security system every night when he hit the sack, and the two dogs always let us know if anyone is within 20 feet of the house anyway.

I keeped a cocked-and-locked 1911 in every room in my house I'm likely to be in - family room, bedroom, study, and the loaded shotgun in the "alamo" room. On weekends, I'm carrying while knocking around the house and yard.

Thus, God-willing, anything hitting the fan oughtta be the perp's brain matter who is stupid enough to think something in our house is worth his life.

Holy ****, and I thought that I was paranoid!! nttawwt.:D

FWIW, My favorite HG is my Belgian Hi Power.

TenkillerSooner
3/23/2010, 08:54 PM
Holy ****, and I thought that I was paranoid!! nttawwt.:D

FWIW, My favorite HG is my Belgian Hi Power.

It's only too far when you have a designated "shower pistol" . :D

captain_surly
3/24/2010, 10:08 AM

I'll be the first to admit I'm a certified gun nut. Having said that, when I'm in the shower my robe hangs on a hook beside the towell just outside said shower. In the pocket of that robe in a pocket holster there is a Ruger SP101 357 Magnum snub nosed revolver.

So I guess I do have a designated "shower pistol". Beats coming out of the bathroom during a home invasion with nothing but your **** in your hand.

TenkillerSooner
3/24/2010, 10:59 AM
I'll be the first to admit I'm a certified gun nut.

Nothing wrong with that. Two of my toys would, according to some, put me in that category as well. My post was sparked from the mental picture I got of someone taking a shower wearing only a belt and a Glock. lol

Okla-homey
3/24/2010, 11:11 AM

Darn good idea! Now I have an excuse to buy another pistol.:D :D :D

OklaPony
3/24/2010, 11:47 AM
Nothing wrong with that. Two of my toys would, according to some, put me in that category as well. My post was sparked from the mental picture I got of someone taking a shower wearing only a belt and a Glock. lol
When considering a shower pistol, should one be concerned with concealment?

Now there's a mental picture for ya.