PDA

View Full Version : The more I think about it the more this Brittany Griner deal pisses me off

Collier11
3/5/2010, 06:25 PM
So let me get this straight, Longar Longar gets two games for elbowing while clearing space and Griner gets the same for sucker punching a chick and breaking her nose.

This is a complete double standard, that chick, good person or not should be done for atleast the conf tourney if not longer

MojoRisen
3/5/2010, 06:31 PM
I agree 100% , but Longer Longer was subject to Knight convincing people it was deliberate. Would you rather get punched or Elbowed in the noggin if it were intentional? Elbows can do serious damage - longer just got screwed for nothing and a legal move.

This chick should be charged with assult~! Broken nose I would be pressin some charges...

Collier11
3/5/2010, 06:34 PM
id def rather be punched but like we said, the punch was a legit cheap shot

btk108
3/5/2010, 06:56 PM
Why isn't she getting the same punishment the Riley girl got?

NorthernIowaSooner
3/6/2010, 12:17 AM
i think she should be gone for at least the rest of games they play this year and maybe even some next year. no place for punching people in college sports

the_ouskull
3/6/2010, 01:50 AM
I think we're ignoring the fact that Britney Griner plays like more of a man than Longer did. She dunks on her trips to the rim...

:D

the_ouskull

Lott's Bandana
3/6/2010, 09:40 AM
Watch the video, then go to Quail Springs Mall and try the same thing on anyone you choose.

See how long you get "suspended".

badger
3/6/2010, 11:22 AM

Riley's slap to the back of the LSU girl's head was during the NCAA tournament.

Also, if I recall correctly, Longar didn't get ejected from his game, correct? The Big 12 reviewed tape and decided afterward to suspend him?

As such, I think Longar would have only gotten a one-game suspension if he had already been ejected from the game.

And, if you think that the NCAA, Big 12 and Baylor are just encouraging her to do the same thing again with the light punishment, consider that the first-time penalty for a "fighting act" is a one-game minimum. The second? Rest-of-the-season minimum.

I would love Baylor to be screwed and have to endure the rest of the season without their blocking Behemoth. However, she is getting more than the minimum punishment. If she ever does it again, she'll be gone for at least the rest of the season (and if it happens during the tourney, you can expect a Riley-like punishment).

As for Longar, I think we can all agree that mens basketball is a more visible sport and that acts like Griner's would be treated like a much larger deal if they happened in the mens game.

texaspokieokie
3/7/2010, 10:04 AM
My wife & i attended all games that OU women played in @ the Big 12
tournament when the Paris twins were freshmen.
it was played @ reunion in dallas.

what i remember most, outside of OU winning,was coach mulkey's baylor girls beating on Courtney, unmercifully. appeared to me that they wanted (badly) for her to loose her "cool". it didn't happen but give baylor an "a" (or E)
for effort.

JMHO

TheHumanAlphabet
3/8/2010, 09:51 AM
Hope the Lady Raiders don't match up with Baylor in the tourney...A "goon" might just be inserted into the Tech lineup...

edie
3/10/2010, 11:54 AM
My wife & i attended all games that OU women played in @ the Big 12
tournament when the Paris twins were freshmen.
it was played @ reunion in dallas.

what i remember most, outside of OU winning,was coach mulkey's baylor girls beating on Courtney, unmercifully. appeared to me that they wanted (badly) for her to loose her "cool". it didn't happen but give baylor an "a" (or E)
for effort.

JMHO

we were also at that game, courtney didn't even have the ball 1/2 of the fouls and they just kept beating the crap out of her. wasn't it just perfect that considering the fact at the time courtney couldn't hit the broad side of a barncastle with her FT's that she made all but 1(?)!! THAT was a great win!

badger
3/10/2010, 12:02 PM
Unless Colorado can beat a Behemoth-less Baylor, we face them in round deax on Friday... WITH Behemoth :mad:

NormanPride
3/10/2010, 01:06 PM
Did anything happen to the OSU chick that threw the elbow at Carlee?

badger
3/10/2010, 01:14 PM
Tegan Cunningham? Nah, the OSU site has her listed as a projected starter for their first round game against KU.

NormanPride
3/10/2010, 02:17 PM
Fantastic. :mad:

Boomer.....
3/10/2010, 02:30 PM
Did anything happen to the OSU chick that threw the elbow at Carlee?

That's what I was going to mention. She throws an elbow to Carlee's face, for no reason, and only gets an intentional foul. They should have thrown her out of the game and probably suspended her.

edie
3/10/2010, 04:02 PM
some of the posts on the "baylorfans.com" site are cracking me up. i'd love for us to have the chance to beat 'em with griner!

unbiasedtruth
3/10/2010, 07:28 PM
2 game suspension is a joke.... pull her scholly, kick her out of school. A slap on the wrist, as this is all it is, you will see other players committing this acts of violonce on the floor.....

edie
3/12/2010, 11:09 AM
looks like we get a chance to beat baylor again tonight w/the biggun. i know we can beat them i just don't know if we will. we need someone to get hot.

BOOMER........

badger
3/12/2010, 11:38 AM
Check out Baylor's postgame press conference (http://www.big12sports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=10410&id=697265&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=587384&SPID=13253&DB_OEM_ID=10410) (fast forward to 4:20 to get through the boring athlete interview part).

I am not sure what her issue is, but she looks like death, or drunk/high, and really doesn't seem to care about the presser at all... at 7:15, she gets miffed because apparently there were people who thought they couldn't beat Colorado.

Right at the end, she addresses meeting OU again, and she's practically yawning when she's like "It's always exciting... they got to sit today... the only difference between today is we have Griner back."

I have not ever wanted to beat Baylor more :mad:

texaspokieokie
3/12/2010, 12:57 PM
Edie;
that win over baylor was GREAT !!!!!!!!

edie
3/12/2010, 01:41 PM
BEAT BAYLOR - BEAT BAYLOR - BEAT BAYLOR - BEAT BAYLOR!!!!!!!

checked the paper this a.m. originally it looked like the game wasn't going to be televised (their only girls). now it looks like cox channel 7 is going to carry it. badger, i think you're in tulsa so who knows. BUT i watched some of the baylor v colo game last night on the big 12 site. was a decent picture.

BOOMER......... did i mention BEAT BAYLOR!!

badger
3/12/2010, 03:52 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/1z39o4g.jpg
Baylor fans will probably tell me I've screwed my thees and thous up, but thou carest not.

Statalyzer
3/16/2010, 09:44 PM

I remember Riley being let off pretty light as well, especially considering this is Griner's 1st offense and Riley is a cheap shot artist.

badger
3/17/2010, 12:42 PM
Truth be told, Griner got a worse punishment than Riley, which resulted in their unfavorable seeding the Big 12 tourney, and a near ouster in the first round versus Crappy Colorado

(on a side note, Colorado wasn't always crappy - during our first Final Four run in 2002, we had to beat Colorado in the Elite Eight out in Boise to make the Final Four... I think we won by like 40, without any exaggeration, cuz I was there!)

The suspension Riley will be serving now was actually for her SECOND offense. She had pulled the slappy crap before and thus the NCAA (unheld after Poke appeal) suspended her for her next tourney game... and after Pokette tanked last year, she is forced to serve it out this year.

The basketball fan side of me wonders if the statute of limitations hasn't passed on something she did two years ago... the OU fan side of me says "Justice served!" :D

Both Riley and Griner got off "light" their first offenses. It was Riley second slap that will sting the most, because it might be the way she ends her collegiate career.

NormanPride
3/17/2010, 01:00 PM
It's going to be really interesting to see how they do in the tourney without her in the first round.

badger
3/17/2010, 02:03 PM
It's going to be really interesting to see how they do in the tourney without her in the first round.

Like I said in my big post o'predictions on the wimmens blog, there is absolutely no chance that they lose in the first round. Their opponent is far too crappy and probably doesn't belong in the tournament. I looked at the opponent's resume - they'd probably beat em even if both Andrea and the chick who elbowed Carlee were suspended.

NormanPride
3/17/2010, 02:41 PM
Never underestimate the power of the dark side. You think pokette deserves to be in the tourney without Riley?

silverwheels
3/17/2010, 02:55 PM
Never underestimate the power of the dark side. You think pokette deserves to be in the tourney without Riley?

They sure as hell don't deserve a 4 seed, especially without Riley for that first game. I guess the selection committee wanted to make them a high enough seed so that their chances of winning the first game without her were higher. I think they could still lose, though. Riley has to account for at least 40% of their shot attempts and 40% of their points.

badger
3/17/2010, 03:08 PM

Yeah, but the OSU program is fairly clean, considering a few blips the past few years with Riley and Teegan's elbow to Carlee a few Pokette beatings ago :D

Once Riley and Teegan are gone, I fully expect OSU to return to being a classy, well-liked program respected by its peers in the Big 12 for hustle and heart that doesn't win most of the time.

:P I bet the OP.com lurkers were all ready to go "Aww, Gooner ain't so bad after all" till those last few words.