PDA

View Full Version : Does any Bball fan miss Kelvin now???

TheHumanAlphabet
3/5/2010, 05:39 PM
Not keeping up with OU Bball anymore, except to know they are around .500 give or take. Team seems disorganized by the readings of the news clips. Is Capel the right person for the job or is it recruiting or other circumstances? Anybody miss Calvin's teams and going to the NCAA's?

Not flaming, just asking those that attend the games based on previous history...

badger
3/5/2010, 05:44 PM
I miss having our mens team in the tourney every year, no doubt, but I do not miss how we got there.

And I mean NCAA rules violations, not all-defense, no-offense basketball ;)

NormanPride
3/5/2010, 05:47 PM
Yeah, I miss winning. But I don't miss scoring 46 points and winning by three. Capel will be fine or he won't. We'll be fine as a program, though.

Collier11
3/5/2010, 05:52 PM
Loaded question, I certainly miss going to the tourney every single year but with that comes the realization that only twice in 12 years did we even compete as a top tier team under Kelvin

I dont miss Kelvin the coach because Kelvin was a hypocrite. He based his whole career on accountability and working hard and doing things the right way but when it came down to it he not only cheated twice but he refused to admit his fault both times.

Collier11
3/5/2010, 05:53 PM
As far as Capel goes, I like the guy but it is obvious he has flaws. He is young and is still bringing in great talent so I think next year will be big. IF Warren comes back I need to see that Capel and Warren have figured out a way to make this team work and I fully expect to be back in the tourney

badger
3/5/2010, 05:55 PM
Word, Colly. I loved KS' attitude until he threw away his principles trying to get better recruits. He got impatient when Hollis graduated and suddenly, we had all-americans and top prospects that didn't fit his tough-as-nails system... and yes, the NCAA violations.

But wow, were those two years on top good - 2002 and 2003 tourneys. If only we didn't run into Indy and Syracuse (@ Syracuse). At least we revenged em this past season :)

Collier11
3/5/2010, 05:57 PM
there is no way we shoulda ever lost to Indiana, dammit! If we beat them we had already hammered maryland

yermom
3/5/2010, 06:14 PM
yeah, that Final Four year was such a tease.

not getting to NOLA the next year was rough too

this thread makes me think of this:

http://frontpage.americandaughter.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/miss-me-yet.jpg

soonervegas
3/5/2010, 06:18 PM
Word, Colly. I loved KS' attitude until he threw away his principles trying to get better recruits.

Exactly. I am one of the ones who could care less if we won 46-44 or 86-82 as long as we won. Kelvin had his struggles early in the NCAA tourney starting 0-4, but went 11-7 after that. Not too shabby....

Too bad he felt the need to cut corners. Staying the course may have taken a year or two longer, but I think he would have taken OU to the next level if.....

Collier11
3/5/2010, 06:19 PM
well 11-7 is deceiving because 7 of those wins came in two years :D

oumartin
3/5/2010, 07:05 PM
Nope, I don't miss that guy one bit. Capel will right the ship. He's still learning as a coach.

the_ouskull
3/5/2010, 08:21 PM
http://cm1.theinsider.com/media/0/394/22/chapelle_fif.0.0.0x0.400x299.jpeg

the_ouskull

nighttrain12
3/6/2010, 02:48 PM
Nope, I don't miss that guy one bit. Capel will right the ship. He's still learning as a coach.

This is his 8th (!!) season as a college head coach. He needs to quit 'learning' and start 'executing' as a head coach.

SoonerGrant
3/6/2010, 05:04 PM
I miss Kelvin. Im tired of breaking records for all the wrong reason.
We broke another one today, biggest loss ever to A&M.

Collier11
3/6/2010, 05:35 PM
id rather lose a game any day if the alternative is being put on probation

pappy
3/6/2010, 05:35 PM
Nope.

Collier11
3/6/2010, 05:43 PM
You do realize that Sampson got in trouble AGAIN for the same thing when he went to Indiana, if he had done that while still at OU we woulda lost schollys and mightve been banned from postseason play that year

Crimsontothecore
3/6/2010, 06:48 PM
So, is it supposed to be a consolation to say that OU is a training ground for inexperienced coaches? sad

nighttrain12
3/6/2010, 07:10 PM
You do realize that Sampson got in trouble AGAIN for the same thing when he went to Indiana, if he had done that while still at OU we woulda lost schollys and mightve been banned from postseason play that year

We're not going to the post season this year either so what's the difference. :O

King Crimson
i defended Kelvin when the "Kelvin is boring/style of play" people got cranky because there wasn't enough running and dunking. and he was always nice to my mom, who lived down the street from him.

but, no. i don't miss him.

Collier11
We're not going to the post season this year either so what's the difference. :O

touche'

bluedogok
3/6/2010, 09:26 PM
I miss Tubbs more than Calvin Simpson.....

Sooner95
3/6/2010, 09:33 PM
No.

Hotrod3157
3/7/2010, 06:17 PM
Still not missin Kelvin at all. Hopefully Capel can get it turned around next year.

ndpruitt03
3/7/2010, 07:00 PM
Doesn't matter. Kelvin was a great coach, Billy was a great coach. Jeff is his own man. I don't know if Jeff has recruited as well as those guys did. Maybe he's gotten big time recruits and MCDs AAs or whatever but the depth we have now is worse then it was even when he first got here.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/8/2010, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the information. I didn't mean to have a loaded question, but I can see how it may have been. I don't hear much about OU Bball in Houston, lucky to get he box score. Though what I do hear (which isn't much and may be clouded by distance from Norman) is disheartening from a person who supposedly was to get it done and the ability to recruit.

I don't miss Calvin that much, the offense as Mrs. THA would say is pass for 30 seconds and then take a losy shot and miss...I liked his teams defensive intensity, but don't miss the NCAA scrutiny he ended with...

Red Ada
3/9/2010, 07:04 PM
Doesn't matter. Kelvin was a great coach, Billy was a great coach. Jeff is his own man. I don't know if Jeff has recruited as well as those guys did. Maybe he's gotten big time recruits and MCDs AAs or whatever but the depth we have now is worse then it was even when he first got here.

AMEN!
Jeff Capel is the John Blake of Oklahoma Basketball.

Don't listen to what comes out his mouth, just watch
Joe Castiglione's face turn red when Oklahoma mens
basketball is mentioned.

Collier11
3/9/2010, 07:10 PM
AMEN!
Jeff Capel is the John Blake of Oklahoma Basketball.

Don't listen to what comes out his mouth, just watch
basketball is mentioned.

you are clearly a troll, youve served your purpose now go away

starrca23
3/9/2010, 08:25 PM
I don't miss Sampson...and I won't miss Red Ada ;)

Collier11
3/9/2010, 09:40 PM
we have enough trolls, im done with him yesterday

ndpruitt03
3/9/2010, 10:01 PM
Where did I say Jeff Capel is John Blake? I think Jeff can be a great coach but he's had a lot of trouble recruiting at this level. I think some of it is him being young as a coach. He's gotten the big name guys, but that's not recruiting. He's not getting the depth in recruiting. We keep getting guys that are gone after one year for one reason or another including not being talented enough. As soon as he adjusts his recruiting we'll be fine. Maybe not as good as the last 2 guys but we'll be making the NCAA Tournament most years.

Collier11
3/9/2010, 10:03 PM
I think Jeffs biggest problem is that he has relied too much on so called HS All Americans as opposed to getting guys that are just hard workers with talent, Stoops made that adjustment at one point in his career

starrca23
3/10/2010, 08:54 AM
You really can't compare basketball and football when it comes to recruiting. I'm not sure how depth of talent is a big issue. All programs (in hoops) have people one and done or two and done. leaving early isn't an issue if they perform like Blake or John Wall...nobody said a word about it last year when we were winning...
Perspective is the issue here: 1. We were really good last year and really bad this year. That is hard for us to swallow. 2. Look nationally: When Ben Howland, Roy Williams, Rick Barnes and Jim Calhoun are having similar struggles is it reasonable to suggest that this problem could indeed be bigger than Jeff Capel. 3. We should have all seen this coming. The AAU meat markets are like the Miss America pagent of basketball. We (please don't call me a pervert here) focus on the body and not anything else. After a decade of this we have erroded character (still in the metaphor...character equals basketball skill) to the point that we pick the ones that seem to have a glimpse of it. All of this is to say that even if Capel went after "lesser" recruits there is no guarantee that we wouldn't have the same issues.

ndpruitt03
3/10/2010, 09:07 AM
Everyone plays AAU ball now. So why don't all teams suck?

...sooner
3/10/2010, 09:21 AM
kelvin BOO jeff YAY!

starrca23
3/10/2010, 10:21 AM
BECAUSE AT THE END OF THE GAME SOME TEAMS WIN AND SOME TEAMS LOSE!!!!!!!
Do you seriously think a single team today could compete with any of the championship teams from say...89-99?

Red Ada
3/12/2010, 03:57 PM

Don't listen to what comes out his mouth just watch
basketball is mentioned.

http://www.tulsaworld.com./sportsextr.aspx?blogid=13

Collier=Idiot

Collier11
3/12/2010, 04:20 PM
so posting a blog that we have already discussed only shows that you lack original thought, now go away and blow your hot air somewhere else

Red Ada
3/12/2010, 04:34 PM
[QUOTE=Red Ada;2849735]Don't listen to what comes out his mouth just watch
basketball is mentioned.

Originally Posted by Collier11>

If you keep messing with me it will get worse. You are the only
one I have a problem with.....You are the one that keeps me posting,
and writing. You are a mental midget.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr.aspx?blogid=13

Collier=Idiot

stoopified
3/12/2010, 04:41 PM
Nope.I don't miss a coach who lies and cheats,gets caught and is stupid enough to do it again.

SoonerShark
3/13/2010, 09:49 PM
But wow, were those two years on top good - 2002 and 2003 tourneys. If only we didn't run into Indy and Syracuse (@ Syracuse). At least we revenged em this past season :)

2002 we lost point guard Quannas White to an ankle injury and in 2003 Hollis Price was so beaten up in the Big XII Tourney that he was unable to compete although on the court in the NCAA tournament. With White healthy we win it all 2002. With Hollis Price healthy in 2003 we may have made the Syracuse game competitive and had a puncher's chance to win, though we still would have had to beat Texas and KU in the NCAA finals.

Statalyzer
3/16/2010, 09:39 PM
FWIW, both times we played you guys, you seemed like a well-coached team - good floor spacing, ball movement, reacting well on D and rotating - that just didn't have enough depth.