PDA

View Full Version : RIP Hank Gathers, 20 years

Collier11
3/5/2010, 01:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cE8ManzSzc

Sooner04
3/5/2010, 12:10 PM
When LMU really got going they put even Billy's best teams to shame on the scoreboard. They hung 84 on Michigan, the defending champs, in the second half two weeks after Gathers died. They beat US International 181-150, which broke our record for most points in a game. We still have the 97 points in a half record, I believe.

Gathers was a stud. Sure, his stats were inflated by the Westhead system, but the dude could play. He dropped 48 points on LSU, and they had both Shaquille O'Neal and Stanley Roberts that year.

I remember his death vividly. It's just one of those things you kinda keep with you. I can still see the look on his face right after he fell against Portland. He knew it was different this time. Bless his poor heart.

What they did after his death in the '90 NCAAs is still epic. What a run.

MojoRisen
3/5/2010, 12:13 PM
No doubt, this always sticks out in my mind, that system and the excitment it brought to games was awesome! I think about Hank all the time and it is very sad...

Bo Kimbles left handed free throw's the rest of the year was a great tribute.

Scott D
3/5/2010, 04:15 PM
I still remember watching that clip over and over the night that it happened. And the renewed efforts my mother made to make sure that my ticker was ok.

And yeah, like 04 said that run was epic. Unfortunately for them UNLV was a buzzsaw that year.

BillyBall
3/5/2010, 04:22 PM
What they did after his death in the '90 NCAAs is still epic. What a run.

This.

Bo Kimbles left handed free throw's the rest of the year was a great tribute.

And This.

Collier11
3/5/2010, 04:29 PM
that 1st one barely touched the net

Sooner04
3/5/2010, 04:54 PM
I think it was Greg Anthony who said in the press conference that the dream was over. They respected Gathers and Loyola, he said, but the dream ends tomorrow night at the hands of the Runnin' Rebels.

He was right.

Collier11
3/5/2010, 04:55 PM
best team money coulda bought, do you think they threw the game the following year against Duke?

Scott D
3/5/2010, 06:51 PM
I think Duke played the perfect game, and UNLV felt that since they were undefeated and with the margins they won by that year, that they just had to show up to win.