PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Neil Everett

boomersooner28
3/3/2010, 05:43 PM
I don't know what his deal is, but he refuses to acknowledge "Oklahoma City" or the "Thunder" when doing highlights of the Oklahoma City Thunder. He refers to them as the Durants or Durant's team...ALWAYS! It is frickin annoying as hell. Durant is a superstar, BUT, this team is wayyyy much more than just KD. Great chemistry, solid contributers everywhere, tough defensively, and Russell Westbrook is coming into his own as a NBA point guard. He is playing GREAT. So, Mr. Everett, I don't know if you are from Seattle or still pissy about the whole Seattle to OKC move or what, but pull your panties outta your *** and acknowledge the fact that this is OKC's team! Yes, the OKC fans have something to do with this team playing so great as well...OKC fans show up.

boomersooner28
3/3/2010, 05:45 PM
Ahhh, just found it on wikipedia. Mr. Everett was raised in Spokane, Washington. That is why his panties are all in a wad. What a doosh.

Eielson
3/3/2010, 10:10 PM
Yeah, I think this was discussed before. It's a good thing we saved Durant and them.

Sooner04
3/3/2010, 11:03 PM
Most people from Seattle, as well as those who followed the NBA before the Thunder arrived, know that the whole move to OKC was a shady deal. It's why Bill Simmons often refers to the team as the Bennett City Highjackers.

The Thunder have been great for Oklahoma and OKC, but it was a complete screwjob.

Eielson
3/3/2010, 11:20 PM
It was shady, but didn't Seattle refuse to fund a new arena that they really needed?

starclassic tama
3/4/2010, 02:18 AM
what makes it worse than all the other teams that have moved cities?

Sooner04
3/4/2010, 09:43 AM
It was shady, but didn't Seattle refuse to fund a new arena that they really needed?
It wasn't the new arena that was needed. The Key Arena was gutted and totally remodeled in the mid-90s. It was the LEASE on the arena that Stern and the Starbucks guy bitched about constantly.

Dio
3/4/2010, 01:55 PM
Typical. ESPN's other main anti-Thunder toolbag, Bill Simmons, buys season tickets to the Clippers, who have relocated not once but twice.

And the Key remodel didn't include luxury suites or enough concession areas to make any team profitable in the current NBA climate. Hell, the city was losing money on the deal.

starclassic tama
3/4/2010, 02:20 PM
i'm still not understanding what made this move worse than any other team that moves. every time a team moves, the old city is bitter.

Sooner04
3/4/2010, 02:27 PM
i'm still not understanding what made this move worse than any other team that moves. every time a team moves, the old city is bitter.
Maybe because the team was well supported.

starclassic tama
3/4/2010, 02:43 PM
post some figures supporting that

Sooner04
3/4/2010, 02:57 PM
post some figures supporting that
They played in one of the smaller arenas in the league (Key Arena sat about 17,000), but their percentage of capacity was strong. It didn't fall off until all you heard about was the Supersonics moving.

Seattle Supersonics (http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/OKC/)

Plus the Sonics played in front of big crowds the year they were forced to play at the Tacoma Dome because of the renevation to Seattle Center Coliseum. They were well-supported in Seattle, just not well-owned.

If only Paul Allen had been allowed to buy the team in the mid-80s. But the owners back then wouldn't sell because they were making too much money.

BarryBnds
3/8/2010, 02:36 PM
They played in one of the smaller arenas in the league (Key Arena sat about 17,000), but their percentage of capacity was strong. It didn't fall off until all you heard about was the Supersonics moving.

Seattle Supersonics (http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/OKC/)

Plus the Sonics played in front of big crowds the year they were forced to play at the Tacoma Dome because of the renevation to Seattle Center Coliseum. They were well-supported in Seattle, just not well-owned.

If only Paul Allen had been allowed to buy the team in the mid-80s. But the owners back then wouldn't sell because they were making too much money.

Attendance figures and rankings:
2006:16,198 (23rd in the league
2007: 15,955 (25th in the league)
2008: 18,693 (11th in the league)
2009: 17,917 (11th in the league)

The capacity at the Ford Center is listed as 18,203. So for the Thunder games we oversold in 2008 and are 200 short of selling out on average this year.

jcsoon08
3/9/2010, 06:57 AM
Simmons is anything but anti-Thunder - they are probably his second favorite team right now. He is unbeleivably complimentary towards the team and front office - he just thinks the owners screwed Seattle over. It's more of a sticht now with him.

starrca23
3/9/2010, 08:23 AM
Simmons calls the Thunder the Zombies. He does have a man-crush on KD and loves to watch them play. Mr. Starbucks is the one that stuck it to Seattle. He and Stern both knew what Bennett would do if allowed to buy the franchise.

Sooner04
3/9/2010, 03:58 PM
You are both right about the previous ownership. There is no denying how refreshing it is to see a team really play hard in the NBA. Throw in the fact that they're so young and it's easy to see why the NBA scribes fawn over the Thunder constantly.

I just wish they were still in Seattle. :(

starclassic tama
3/9/2010, 05:36 PM
why do you wish they were still in seattle

misplacedsooner
3/9/2010, 07:53 PM
im so glad they are here or else i wouldnt be a fan and id be back to having little or no interest in the nba.

Sooner04
3/9/2010, 11:19 PM
why do you wish they were still in seattle
Because I was a Supersonics fan back to the days of Tom Chambers.

misplacedsooner
3/10/2010, 12:21 AM
slick watts was cool too

starclassic tama
3/10/2010, 05:19 AM
Because I was a Supersonics fan back to the days of Tom Chambers.

so you don't like the fact that your favorite NBA team moved from a 30 hour drive away, to like an hour drive away. makes perfect sense

Sooner04
3/10/2010, 10:00 AM
so you don't like the fact that your favorite NBA team moved from a 30 hour drive away, to like an hour drive away. makes perfect sense
If the Dallas Cowboys moved to OKC and became the Oklahoma Drillers would you not miss the Dallas Cowboys?

It's not like they moved here and became the OKC SuperSonics. The green and gold unis are gone. Everything about my old team is dead. It's like that old Seinfeld line, "You're not rooting for the players, you're rooting for laundry".

Jello Biafra
3/10/2010, 10:41 AM
If the Dallas Cowboys moved to OKC and became the Oklahoma Drillers would you not miss the Dallas Cowboys?

It's not like they moved here and became the OKC SuperSonics. The green and gold unis are gone. Everything about my old team is dead. It's like that old Seinfeld line, "You're not rooting for the players, you're rooting for laundry".

being a fan of the bulls since the days of Artis Gilmore(pre-jordan), i love that team but the day the thunder took the court, the bulls took over the second spot.

just me but if were the bulls that were moved from chitown, id still accept them as oklahoma city.

misplacedsooner
3/10/2010, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE=Jello Biafra;2848195]being a fan of the bulls since the days of Artis Gilmore(pre-jordan), i love that team but the day the thunder took the court, the bulls took over the second spot.

im the same way with detroit as i grew up just south. love all detroit teams except like the who cares sports like soccer and the i wish it would hurry up and die sport... womens basketball. im soooo glad they didnt bring that womans pro team with them from seattle. to make things more exciting they should just have the thunder girls play short games at halftime in bikinis, that would still be about all the womens hoops i could stand but at least it would be entertaining.

stoopified
3/12/2010, 07:31 PM
from my POV all the haters from Seattle or not can eat sh!t and die.The Oklahoma City Thunder is every bit as legit as the Utah Jazz,LA Lakers,GS Warriors,LA Clippers or any other team that has relocated.The Thunder belongs to us and I am immensely thankful we have our own name and colors and are not the Oklahoma City Sonics.

Scott D
3/12/2010, 08:03 PM
[QUOTE=Jello Biafra;2848195]being a fan of the bulls since the days of Artis Gilmore(pre-jordan), i love that team but the day the thunder took the court, the bulls took over the second spot.

im the same way with detroit as i grew up just south. love all detroit teams except like the who cares sports like soccer and the i wish it would hurry up and die sport... womens basketball. im soooo glad they didnt bring that womans pro team with them from seattle. to make things more exciting they should just have the thunder girls play short games at halftime in bikinis, that would still be about all the womens hoops i could stand but at least it would be entertaining.

1. Tulsa now has the 3 time wnba champion Detroit Shock, as Bill Davidson's family sold them.

2. Personally I think it's only a matter of time before the Pistons are somewhere else because the greedy family is selling them as well.

misplacedsooner
3/12/2010, 09:01 PM
agreed scott, between that and the economy up there i could see them leaving.

Scott D
3/13/2010, 12:38 AM
oh the economy has nothing to do with it.

His wife and kids waited all of a month after Bill's public remembrance at the home opener before word got out that the team was up for sale. It took a matter of weeks before the Shock had been sold and were being moved to Tulsa.

At least the Ilitch's got their kids involved with the Tigers and Red Wings so the odds are very slim that either team would ever leave town. And Bill Ford Jr. along with the entire city is waiting for William Clay Ford to finally kick the bucket so the Lions can begin to progress forward from the nonsense that they've gone through since WCF became the primary owner of the franchise in the 60s.

misplacedsooner
3/13/2010, 12:49 AM
good call!! i would say that the economy is pretty crappy there though, glad i dont live up there anymore.

Scott D
3/13/2010, 12:54 AM
I personally blame our canuck whore of a governor.

misplacedsooner
3/13/2010, 01:00 AM
hahahaha, right on man!!

Scott D
3/13/2010, 02:04 PM
I didn't vote for her twice, and I'm proud of it.

on a side note, Dave Bing is working on a proposal to bring the team downtown instead of playing in Auburn Hills. This should be interesting since the Ilitches hired Tom Wilson after he left the Palace/Pistons and he's 'heading' up the look into the Red Wings moving out of JLA into a new building over by the Fox Theater.

misplacedsooner
3/13/2010, 08:03 PM
hhaa!! thought maybe you were gonna tell me they were moving back to cobo hall...i went to many a game there.

CobraKai
3/13/2010, 08:20 PM
The day the Thunder moved to OKC they became my favorite pro sports team ever. Before they moved I was basically a "Sportscenter" nba fan. I am a huge Cowboys fan too, since birth (family from Texas), but if they moved to my home state of Oklahoma I would be the happiest person on earth. Having my favorite team in my favorite place would be surreal to me. Just my opinion.

Scott D
3/14/2010, 09:56 AM
hhaa!! thought maybe you were gonna tell me they were moving back to cobo hall...i went to many a game there.

Well, I guess it's theoretically possible that if Ilitch gets his new arena approved, he could buy the Pistons from the Davidsons and make it a multipurpose arena for both teams downtown. Not sure what the lease looks like at the Palace though.