PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Chad Ford on Willie Warren...

the_ouskull
3/3/2010, 02:13 PM
Oklahoma's Willie Warren continues to free-fall down the Big Board. He's currently struggling with a case of mono, though that's not why he continues to slide. As more details emerge about Warren and how difficult he's been this year, the more NBA teams are running away. It's one thing to have a bad season. But Warren's season has been catastrophic.

Still, given his poor relationship with coach Jeff Capel, NBA scouts expect him to declare for this year's draft. When he does, teams are likely to warm up to him a bit. In a draft that's very weak on talent at the 1, Warren is one of the few players capable of playing that position in the pros.

So, what do youse guys think?

- Is Willie going to declare?
- If he does, do you still think he's lottery-bound?
- If you don't think he's lottery-bound, then where do you think he may go? (Please justify your decision...)
- Can he actually play point at the next level?
- Does he have "a poor relationship with coach Jeff Capel?"
- Should we have known not to recruit a fat kid named "Tiny?" I mean, I'd be skeptical of letting a guy named "Really Smart" make my decisions for me, right?

the_ouskull

Boomer.....
3/3/2010, 02:27 PM

- Is Willie going to declare? Yes
- If he does, do you still think he's lottery-bound? No
- If you don't think he's lottery-bound, then where do you think he may go? (Please justify your decision...) I still think he will go late first round but not lottery. He has shown that he is a great player but his attitude and struggles this year will push him down. The ankle injury might be part of the reason.
- Can he actually play point at the next level? I think so.
- Does he have "a poor relationship with coach Jeff Capel?" I don't think it is poor but I have heard that WW will not listen or take advise and of course that puts a strain on the coach/player relationship. He needs to drop the me attitude and be more of a team player. Tiny also.
- Should we have known not to recruit a fat kid named "Tiny?" I mean, I'd be skeptical of letting a guy named "Really Smart" make my decisions for me, right? Tiny is a great player with some problems. He did lose a lot of weight before this season so the work ethic is there but he has not shown it much this season. The last few games he has really worked hard and played like the player that he is supposed to be. Hopefully he doesn't leave after this season because we could really use him next year. He should only get better.

the_ouskull

Just my opinion.

...sooner
3/3/2010, 02:45 PM

- If you don't think he's lottery-bound, then where do you think he may go? (Please justify your decision...)
- Should we have known not to recruit a fat kid named "Tiny?" I mean, I'd be skeptical of letting a guy named "Really Smart" make my decisions for me, right?

the_ouskull

-- not sure if he declares.. i think it would be silly but then do we even want him anymore?

-- not lottery pick but i say early second round because of the poor season he has had.. 16.3 pts & 4.1 assists is just ok to me. not great. and his 4.6 TO's a game is awful.. & now with the surgery..

-- the "poor relationship" i thought they had a pretty good one? its what it seemed like at first... i bet they are both just frustrated with this season.

-- tiny is a waste of time. if he wants to play good these last couple games because he THINKS he might get drafted. psssh. granted i wanna win but we are 13-16 & i think it would be funny to bench his butt in front of all the scouts. hes a selfish overweight player that ISNT going to get drafted this year.

NormanPride
3/3/2010, 03:41 PM
I think it's comedy anyone believes he'll be a good point guard. What about him screams "ball handling" or "assists"?

yankee
3/3/2010, 04:00 PM
I think it's comedy anyone believes he'll be a good point guard. What about him screams "ball handling" or "assists"?

his talent level is there, of course. best case scenario i could see him turning into a baron davis type point guard. but right now he's got a shooting guard mentality in a physically gifted point guard's body. he'll have to go through a major maturation process (and learning process) to be a successful point guard in the nba. maybe he has it in him, but so far i haven't seen it.

Collier11
3/3/2010, 04:14 PM

- Is Willie going to declare? No
- If he does, do you still think he's lottery-bound? NO
- If you don't think he's lottery-bound, then where do you think he may go? 22-30, it is obvious that he is a very talented guy but he has some stuff he needs to work out, work on. If he does declare teams arent going to give him lottery money after the type of season he has had IMO
- Can he actually play point at the next level? yes
- Does he have "a poor relationship with coach Jeff Capel?" I dont think they have a bad relationship as in they dont like each other, I think Capel and Warren are frustrated by not being able to get on the same page this season

the_ouskull

Depends on what Gallon does after the year, if he declares then it was a mistake and obvious that he didnt care about the school. IF he comes back I will give him the Benefit of doubt

ouleaf
3/3/2010, 04:28 PM
I think he could play PG at the next level. He's not big enough, nor is he a good enough shooter to be a 2 in the NBA. I don't see him making an impact right away, but if he can catch on with a team for 3 years or so in a backup role and learn the ropes, he might be an effective PG for some team. Granted it would have to be a team where he is maybe the 3rd or 4th scoring option on a team. Think Mike Bibby and his role with the Hawks right now currently average about 9ppg and 4apg in about 28-30 mins per night. He just kind of lets the offense run through their star players and all he has to do is get them the ball, limit turnovers, and make some shots when you're open.

Will he ever be a truly great floor general, no.

Eielson
3/3/2010, 04:53 PM

Probably.

Maybe near the end, but probably not.

Can he? Yes. Will he? Probably not.

It seems like it.

I don't think many coaches can ever know much about a kid's character until they get him on campus. You could probably look at grades and get a decent idea from that, but it's just a guess. Coaches will lie to you, and you can't tell just by talking to somebody.

Curly Bill
3/3/2010, 07:13 PM
Put me on record as saying he can't play the point at the next level, though he may be given a chance to. For him to be a long term NBA guy I think it's going to have to be at the 2 guard

the_ouskull
3/4/2010, 06:36 PM
A few thoughts...

- Tiny losing the weight wasn't about "his work ethic." Tiny losing the weight was about him doing the bare minimum along his path towards his NBA destiny. They weren't going to draft a fat kid with only one year of college. Now that he's just portly, perhaps they will.

Being able to play, on both ends of the court, but ESPECIALLY defense, helps in the NBA too, kid.

- As for Willie not being big enough to play the two in the NBA... he's listed at D-Wade's height, and is easily 3-4" taller than Allen Iverson. JJ Reddick is not a "tall" 6'3" because of his athleticism. Willie Warren IS a "tall" 6'3" because of his. I mean, I don't think he'll be an NBA point guard either, but I could be wrong.

-----

One thing that is somewhat disturbing to me, is, with Willie coming here because of Blake, and Tiny coming here because of Blake and Willie, are THESE the types of players we're going to attract to OU now? The "I-do-it-my-way" AAU-bred Five-Star kids with no idea about how to work, who weren't smart/creative enough to get into Duke? I'd rather have Heart, Hustle, and Hardwood back. Give me a Renzi Stone over a Tiny Gallon. At least if Renzi hit someone, the words "b*tch" and "slap" weren't going to be involved. With "Tiny," I'm not so sure.

It's as much an indictment on the whole "trophy culture" that h.s. basketball has become anyway. It's not about the championships anymore, so much as the individual accolades; the Arches - the ESPN and Rivals 100. I hope I'm wrong about Willie; I want to believe that I am, even though I do not think that I am - and as far as I'm concerned, unless he gets punched in the face by Steven Segall over the summer and gets some sense knocked into him, "Tiny" is a wash, too.

Enjoy your three year rookie contract, "Tiny." Don't expect a second one unless you ditch the (pre-09/10) Zach Randolph tag I saddled you with earlier this year. You think OU fans are harsh. Try going to an NBA team, sir. There, you're getting paid, and best believe people will say whatever they want. Kinda like me, only I love the Sooners, and I get the idea that some sportswriters downright hate the teams they cover.

It should be an interesting off-season leading into next year. It can only get better, gang.

the_ouskull

...sooner
3/5/2010, 09:16 AM
A few thoughts...

- Tiny losing the weight wasn't about "his work ethic." Tiny losing the weight was about him doing the bare minimum along his path towards his NBA destiny. They weren't going to draft a fat kid with only one year of college. Now that he's just portly, perhaps they will.

Being able to play, on both ends of the court, but ESPECIALLY defense, helps in the NBA too, kid.

- As for Willie not being big enough to play the two in the NBA... he's listed at D-Wade's height, and is easily 3-4" taller than Allen Iverson. JJ Reddick is not a "tall" 6'3" because of his athleticism. Willie Warren IS a "tall" 6'3" because of his. I mean, I don't think he'll be an NBA point guard either, but I could be wrong.

-----

One thing that is somewhat disturbing to me, is, with Willie coming here because of Blake, and Tiny coming here because of Blake and Willie, are THESE the types of players we're going to attract to OU now? The "I-do-it-my-way" AAU-bred Five-Star kids with no idea about how to work, who weren't smart/creative enough to get into Duke? I'd rather have Heart, Hustle, and Hardwood back. Give me a Renzi Stone over a Tiny Gallon. At least if Renzi hit someone, the words "b*tch" and "slap" weren't going to be involved. With "Tiny," I'm not so sure.

It's as much an indictment on the whole "trophy culture" that h.s. basketball has become anyway. It's not about the championships anymore, so much as the individual accolades; the Arches - the ESPN and Rivals 100. I hope I'm wrong about Willie; I want to believe that I am, even though I do not think that I am - and as far as I'm concerned, unless he gets punched in the face by Steven Segall over the summer and gets some sense knocked into him, "Tiny" is a wash, too.

Enjoy your three year rookie contract, "Tiny." Don't expect a second one unless you ditch the (pre-09/10) Zach Randolph tag I saddled you with earlier this year. You think OU fans are harsh. Try going to an NBA team, sir. There, you're getting paid, and best believe people will say whatever they want. Kinda like me, only I love the Sooners, and I get the idea that some sportswriters downright hate the teams they cover.

It should be an interesting off-season leading into next year. It can only get better, gang.

the_ouskull

--i love reading your posts!

NormanPride
3/5/2010, 11:12 AM
Oh, ****. No you di'int.

:D

Collier11
3/5/2010, 01:14 PM
dammit!

the_ouskull
3/5/2010, 03:29 PM
Well, I was going to post this anyway, but since I have "fans" and all... :d

Chad Ford just listed his Top 12 Big 12 NBA prospects. Willie's (still) at fourth, (and falling) and "Tiny" is nowhere to be seen. Weird. In fact, they mention players like Brackins (ISU) and Udoh (Baylor), so they're discussing posts... but they don't mention Keith Gallon anywhere. Weird. I thought he was an NBA lock. Or maybe HE thought it. Whatever.

the_ouskull

Collier11
3/5/2010, 03:31 PM
but tbone and weezy from back home say he is a 1st rounder

NormanPride
3/5/2010, 03:39 PM
Looks like Mr. Gallon's prospects at the NBA are... *puts on sunglasses* Tiny.

YYEAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

bluedogok
3/6/2010, 09:25 PM
Welcome to the NBA-DL Willie.....

yankee
3/7/2010, 11:09 AM
am i the only one that thinks it's sad to see sooner fans openly rooting against current sooners?

badger
3/7/2010, 11:22 AM
It would not be a silly thing for WW to declare. Even if he's not a projected lottery pick, I don't think you'll see a draft projection that has him going in the second round. And what do first round picks get, sf.com?

GUARANTEED. MONEY.

You go to the NBA for one reason - money. WW can get money now by virtue of a first round draft status. I don't foresee his stock ever being as high as it was last year (or perhaps his HS senior year, had he been allowed to jump then).

I do not want him to go. I really think that with some soul searching and a lot of offseason work, he can become the leader we all want him to be and can re-capture that freshman year magic where he was so desperate to prove himself as a team player.

NormanPride
3/8/2010, 11:53 AM
am i the only one that thinks it's sad to see sooner fans openly rooting against current sooners?

Simply wearing the jersey does not guarantee membership in the Sooner family.

TopDawg
3/8/2010, 11:59 AM
Willie declare?
Yes.

NormanPride
3/8/2010, 01:15 PM
http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss88/SilentWolf8979/Humor/tactical_facepalm.jpg

badger
3/8/2010, 06:39 PM
The latest is here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100308_92_0_NRATei606598)

WW's tone seems to suggest that the NBA is not his destination if he has to worry about being healthy.

Eielson
3/8/2010, 06:51 PM
I prefer the Star Trek facepalms.

NormanPride
3/9/2010, 04:11 AM
http://cdn1.knowyourmeme.com/i/3611/original/facepalm-1.jpg

Better? :D

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/9/2010, 06:43 AM
when did we become mizzou under quinn?

...sooner
3/9/2010, 06:53 AM
The latest is here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100308_92_0_NRATei606598)

WW's tone seems to suggest that the NBA is not his destination if he has to worry about being healthy.

That was a pretty good article.. hmm maybe his attitude will/has changed? it could be great for everyone if it does.

Collier11
3/9/2010, 06:55 AM
Willie gives us some insight into what he is thinking

“I talked to Coach Capel right before I decided I was going to do the (surgery),” Warren said. “He asked me about the NBA, and I told him, ‘That’s not in my mind. The main thing in my mind is why not come back next year and prove everybody wrong? What would be the worst, being in the lottery again?’

“They had me projected there this year. Coming back next year, I might be projected there again. And I think you relieve a lot of pressure. I probably won’t come in as a national player of the year candidate like I did this year. I think it would relieve a lot of stress.

“I’d go out there, just relax and play basketball.”

Id say this explains alot, seems to me that WW was overwhelmed more than anything. I know some of you will say he needs to suck it up but people handle things differently. I for one hope he comes back

Boomer.....
3/9/2010, 07:01 AM
It seems like he is coming to his senses and will be back again next year. That will be great for him and the team.

Dio
3/9/2010, 07:53 AM

when said current Sooners act like spoiled * football players, no.

NormanPride
3/9/2010, 08:12 AM
when did we become mizzou under quinn?

The moment we hired another Dukie?

NormanPride
3/9/2010, 08:14 AM
If Willie comes back and plays D like a madman, then I will have huge amounts of respect for him. Even if his offensive numbers fall a bit because of his effort on D, I bet it would be good for him in the long run.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/9/2010, 03:10 PM
If Willie comes back and plays D like a madman, then I will have huge amounts of respect for him. Even if his offensive numbers fall a bit because of his effort on D, I bet it would be good for him in the long run.

playing great defense is always good for you in the long run.

badger
3/9/2010, 06:19 PM
btw, Tiny is returning. I will post a link as soon as I can find one

EDIT: OK here is a link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100309_92_0_KANSAS973718)

Collier11
3/9/2010, 06:36 PM
well for whatever reason it atleast seems that Capel is finally getting thru to these guys, this can only help for next year as long as they take it seriously