PDA

View Full Version : Dear Dean...

Okla-homey
3/2/2010, 08:58 PM
Please advise your superiors this is a mistake. A much better idea is to shiite-can the ridiculous rule which requires you to deliver to every mailbox, every day, even if all you're delivering is a piece of 3d Class junkmail. TIA.
Love,
Homey...who still thinks the fact I can make a piece of paper go from Tulsa to Tacoma with a single stamp is a pretty good deal.

Tue Mar 2, 10:59 AM EST The U.S. Postal Service is increasing the pressure for dropping Saturday home delivery as it seeks to fend off massive financial losses.

Postmaster General John Potter, who has a speech set for later Tuesday on the future of his agency, will also raise the likelihood of higher postage rates.
The agency was $297 million in the red in period from October through December, usually its best season because of holiday mailings.

The post office's problems stem from a sharp decline in the number of items mailed, resulting from the recession and the movement of things like bills and bill-paying to electronic communications.

Last year the agency handled 177 billion items, down from 213 billion in 2006 — and there is little likelihood of an increase in the future.

The Postal Service has previously proposed eliminating delivery six days a week, but got a cold reception in Congress. The renewed effort comes with a series of consultant reports supporting that idea, as well as changes in the work force and the number of offices.

The post office does not receive a taxpayer subsidy for its operations, and officials see little chance of Congress approving such a payment.

Do you people have any idea how expensive and inefficient it is to require a letter carrier to deliver that flippin' bulk POS Wal-Mart or Mazzios mailing to your casa six stinking days a week, whether you live on Rocky Top at the end of six miles of bad road, or a cabin in the woods, or in a deluxe apartment in the sky?

To be clear, change the rule to state the only thing requiring DAILY delivery, is whether or not there is a piece of first-class mail in the bag. And if the recipient lives on Rocky Top, at the end of six miles of bad road in the sticks, wait til a couple pieces stack up.

Stitch Face
3/2/2010, 09:37 PM
Whoa, dude- DO NOT delay my Mazzios ad...

sooner ngintunr
3/2/2010, 10:08 PM
Whoa, dude- DO NOT delay my Mazzios ad...

No worries bro those come on Tues.:D

Saturday is my favorite day for mail.

NormanPride
3/3/2010, 11:27 AM
I agree with Homey. There are much more efficient ways of lowering costs without dropping a day.

OU4LIFE
3/3/2010, 11:30 AM
if they HAD to drop a day, drop a weekday. Like effing Monday....now THERE'S a day that needs a good dropping.

OU4LIFE
3/3/2010, 11:31 AM
Besides, i think this is just a play by the postal union to either raise the cost of stamps again or get an extra day off every week....slackers.

;)

yermom
3/3/2010, 11:31 AM
personally, i think they aren't charging enough for junk mail ;)

and i think my mailman skips days anyway

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/3/2010, 11:52 AM
personally, i think they aren't charging enough for junk mail ;)

and i think my mailman skips days anywayI believe Neumann the postman, from Seinfeld, set the standard, by putting lots of the mail in a big storage locker, where he MIGHT get to it, SOMEDAY!

yermom
3/3/2010, 11:55 AM
yeah, i always refer to my mailman as "Newman" in 3rd person :D

SoonerEMT
3/3/2010, 12:27 PM
http://www.kerrydean.com/pictures/seinfeld-cosmo-kramer-junk-mail-postmaster-general-wilford-brimley.jpg

"Kramer, I've been, uh, reading some of your material
here. I gotta be honest with you: you make a pretty strong case. I mean, just imagine. An army of men in wool pants running through the neighborhood handing out pottery catalogs, door to door."

"Well, it's my job. And I'm pretty damn serious about it.
In addition to being a postmaster, I'm a general. And we both know, it's the job of a general to, by God, get things done. So maybe you can understand why I get a little irritated when someone calls me away from my golf.
I think we got a stack of mail out at the desk that belongs to you. Now, you want that mail, don't you Mr. Kramer?""

TMcGee86
3/3/2010, 12:29 PM
Please advise your superiors this is a mistake. A much better idea is to shiite-can the ridiculous rule which requires you to deliver to every mailbox, every day, even if all you're delivering is a piece of 3d Class junkmail. TIA.
Love,
Homey...who still thinks the fact I can make a piece of paper go from Tulsa to Tacoma with a single stamp is a pretty good deal.

Do you people have any idea how expensive and inefficient it is to require a letter carrier to deliver that flippin' bulk POS Wal-Mart or Mazzios mailing to your casa six stinking days a week, whether you live on Rocky Top at the end of six miles of bad road, or a cabin in the woods, or in a deluxe apartment in the sky?

To be clear, change the rule to state the only thing requiring DAILY delivery, is whether or not there is a piece of first-class mail in the bag. And if the recipient lives on Rocky Top, at the end of six miles of bad road in the sticks, wait til a couple pieces stack up.

But would this actually save money? I would assume that every single day at least one person on my block has a first class letter sent to them, therefore even if they skip the junk wouldn't they still be out there every day delivering mail? Where's the savings?

yermom
3/3/2010, 12:37 PM
you aren't six miles down a road on Rocky Top though

Stitch Face
3/3/2010, 01:30 PM
Would just playing Rocky Top instead save any money?

C&CDean
3/3/2010, 02:21 PM
Dropping the Saturday mail would save millions (we'd still process mail on Saturday, but it wouldn't be delivered until Monday). Carriers work a funky schedule where their days off rotate and every 4 weeks they get a 3-day weekend. We could reduce a lot of carriers by only delivering on M-F. And payroll is our biggest expense.

What a lot of people aren't seeing here is the PMGs subtle play on "evolving into a much more flexible work force" which he talked about yesterday. He talked about the massive amount of folks retiring between now and 2020, and how replacing these people with personnel who are "more flexible" he's really saying "get the ****ing unions outta Dodge."

There's 4 separate labor unions within the USPS. They all suck giant ****, just like all labor unions do. If the PMG can't do something about them, they will be the death knell of the USPS.

TUSooner
3/3/2010, 02:21 PM
Love,

Speaking as someone who for 11 years carried the mail, including those ****ing bulk house-to-house pieces of instant garbage which every carrier hates passionately, I wholeheartedly endorse Homey's plan. I'd go further, though, and stop delivering the stuff altogether. After getting out of the garbage delivery business, the USPS might start trying to win back the parcel delivery business that it gave up when it sold its soul to the bulk-mail debbil!

TUSooner
3/3/2010, 02:27 PM
Dropping the Saturday mail would save millions (we'd still process mail on Saturday, but it wouldn't be delivered until Monday). Carriers work a funky schedule where their days off rotate and every 4 weeks they get a 3-day weekend. We could reduce a lot of carriers by only delivering on M-F. And payroll is our biggest expense.

What a lot of people aren't seeing here is the PMGs subtle play on "evolving into a much more flexible work force" which he talked about yesterday. He talked about the massive amount of folks retiring between now and 2020, and how replacing these people with personnel who are "more flexible" he's really saying "get the ****ing unions outta Dodge."

There's 4 separate labor unions within the USPS. They all suck giant ****, just like all labor unions do. If the PMG can't do something about them, they will be the death knell of the USPS.

As former member of the NALC, I must agree. No doubt the NALC got me some good pay and benefits over the years, even before I even started working. But I saw first-hand on a daily basis how chicken-**** union rules and petty power plays made life a daily tunnel through a mountain of manure for the delivery supervisor (which I also was from time-to-time).

47straight
3/3/2010, 02:34 PM
I don't think you'd end up with a lot of savings if you had to take the time to sort who had first-class mail and who didn't on a house-by-house basis.

Okla-homey
3/3/2010, 02:48 PM
I don't think you'd end up with a lot of savings if you had to take the time to sort who had first-class mail and who didn't on a house-by-house basis.

Easy. Two bags. Third-class bulk every three delivery days. First-class every delivery day.

C&CDean
3/3/2010, 03:06 PM
Easy. Two bags. Third-class bulk every three delivery days. First-class every delivery day.

Actually, that's the model we've followed for years. There are colored placards they place on pallets of BBM (Bulk Business Mail) for their delivery day. Basically, they must be delivered NLT 3 days from when they are received in the processing plant. First-class, Priority, Express all have to go every day.

StoopTroup
3/3/2010, 03:10 PM
Sounds like they could save a bundle getting rid of Delivery Supervisors and make more by raising the rates on Junk Mail.

What if I was to give them a Dollar per Month to only deliver 1st class mail once a week? Take all of that other stuff and deliver it to Louis Farrakan's House. Then they could give those poor Union Foot Soldiers a raise for doing the Grunt Work of Delivery.

C&CDean
3/3/2010, 03:12 PM
Only if we delivered it all there and lit a match.

StoopTroup
3/3/2010, 03:13 PM
Only if we delivered it all there and lit a match.

Could I be the driver or at least document the delivery with video? :D

C&CDean
3/3/2010, 03:14 PM
That's racist.

StoopTroup
3/3/2010, 03:16 PM
That's racist.

So? :D

OU4LIFE
3/4/2010, 11:41 AM
it's all magic to me anyway.

As long as I get my golf periodicals in the mail at the proper time, I don't care what they do. :)

Oldnslo
3/4/2010, 12:27 PM
payroll is usually every business' biggest expense.

JohnnyMack
3/4/2010, 12:53 PM
I think the pensions are killing the USPS not the operating costs, no?

JohnnyMack
3/4/2010, 12:54 PM
Dean sucks too.

Bourbon St Sooner
3/4/2010, 01:51 PM

Yeah I think everybody knows what a "flexible workforce" means.

At my company they call it freeing you up for future endeavors.

C&CDean
3/4/2010, 01:59 PM
I think the pensions are killing the USPS not the operating costs, no?

No, our biggest expense is payroll. However, it's not the pensions - but I could see where one might think that when they don't pay attention to what people are saying. It's the pre-funding of retiree health benefits that is the final $XXbillion problem. No other government agency has to do this, and yet we are the only government agency that doesn't get a dime from taxes/the government. If the PMG can get this fixed, we're golden.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I'm gonna kick JMs *** the next time I see him for telling the bartender at Max's in Baltimore that my dick tastes salty.

yermom
3/4/2010, 02:21 PM
Yeah I think everybody knows what a "flexible workforce" means.

At my company they call it freeing you up for future endeavors.

that's what i was thinking

C&CDean
3/4/2010, 02:23 PM
No, not at all. It's about having employees who can unload a truck, sort some mail, and maybe even drive it out to a delivery unit.

Right now, it takes 3 separate craft employees to perform that function because the POS union demands it.

yermom
3/4/2010, 02:43 PM
eff that. sounds like the scam in Hollywood. i'm sure it's all over when unions/guilds are involved

sounds like RSIs waiting to happen...

C&CDean
3/4/2010, 02:47 PM
Actually it's even worse. Dude who unloads the truck is represented by a single union - Mailhandlers. Dude who sorts the mail and dude who drives it to the delivery unit is represented by another union - APWU. Dude who delivers the mail in the city is represented by another union - NALC. Dude who delivers to the rural areas is represented by yet another union - NARLC.

There's even a separate union for postal medical staff. It's ****ed up man, way ****ed up.

Okla-homey
3/4/2010, 03:43 PM
Actually it's even worse. Dude who unloads the truck is represented by a single union - Mailhandlers. Dude who sorts the mail and dude who drives it to the delivery unit is represented by another union - APWU. Dude who delivers the mail in the city is represented by another union - NALC. Dude who delivers to the rural areas is represented by yet another union - NARLC.

There's even a separate union for postal medical staff. It's ****ed up man, way ****ed up.

Dang d00d, you should start a union for people who provide training to those folks. You could get richer than T. Boone and live in a deeluxe apartment in the sky. If you didn't disappear and get buried under a stadium or something.

C&CDean
3/4/2010, 03:53 PM
Dang d00d, you should start a union for people who provide training to those folks. You could get richer than T. Boone and live in a deeluxe apartment in the sky. If you didn't disappear and get buried under a stadium or something.

No ****.

I do have to give the founders of this place in Norman big kudos though. Back in 1969, they established the Oklahoma Postal Training Operation (OPTO) to provide technical training for postal mechanics.

The first thing they did when they started it was to mandate every job here has to be an EAS (Executive Administrative Schedule) which means no unions. No grievences. No bull****.

Everyone is exempt - meaning no overtime, which also means you can leave early without penalty. You may have to travel or work weekends, but you only get paid for 40 hours. They compensated by making the instructor levels equal to a regular postal employee who manages maybe 100 employees.

We have a pay-for-performance deal where we get our raises based on our unit's performance. The union bargained for a 1% cola for everyone no matter how much they deserve to get fired. When we were popping down 5-6% annual raises, and they were getting 1%, they bitched like bitches. "Look at management paying themselves bonuses." ****ing idiots. If they would fire their galdamn union n'er-do-wells and hook up with a pay for performance deal they'd be lightyears ahead. Instead, they buy the union's bull**** that without them, the employees would all be replaced by machines.

Man I hate unions with a passion.

soonerboomer93
3/4/2010, 04:06 PM
don't hold it in Dean, let it out and tell us how you really feel

GottaHavePride
3/4/2010, 05:32 PM
I for one would greatly appreciate it if the Postal Service would take all my Mazzio's ads and pre-approved credit card applications and light them on fire somewhere.

StoopTroup
3/4/2010, 05:52 PM
Dean....

Are those Unions protected under the Railway Labor Act?

OU4LIFE
3/5/2010, 01:34 PM

And I'm a card carrying member of NAMBLA

TMI dude.

;)