PDA

View Full Version : Does this count as one of their 85?

Jacie
3/2/2010, 04:54 PM
From Mike Huguegin's weekly column:

Give it up for New York Giants center Shaun O'Hara, who has donated $100,000 to Rutgers, his alma mater, to fund a program that that will give a scholarship to a deserving walk-on.

badger
3/2/2010, 04:56 PM

Give it up for New York Giants center Shaun O'Hara, who has donated $100,000 to Rutgers, his alma mater, to fund a program that that will give a scholarship to a deserving walk-on.

a non-scholly player getting a scholly for being a deserving non-scholly player.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/2/2010, 04:58 PM

it has too.

homerSimpsonsBrain
3/2/2010, 05:03 PM
Would that be equivalent to a walk-on getting an academic scholarship or do the NCAA rules prevent that as well?

Spanish Sooner
3/2/2010, 05:04 PM
Unless it is academic based. Like they have to be a hard working player with good academic performance, etc.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/2/2010, 05:06 PM
walkons can get any form of aid available to the general student population. however, if it is specific to your sport, it is considered one of your scholly limit.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/2/2010, 05:07 PM
Unless it is academic based. Like they have to be a hard working player with good academic performance, etc.

nope. there can be no restriction on the scholarship that they have to be a football player. this is the old alabama rule.

SoonerAtKU
3/2/2010, 05:07 PM
What's the rule about hiding scholarships in different sports? Wasn't there some concern about Brandon Jones and his baseball stuff at one point?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/2/2010, 05:09 PM
What's the rule about hiding scholarships in different sports? Wasn't there some concern about Brandon Jones and his baseball stuff at one point?

assuming its not one of the big 2 (basketball/football), you must complete one season playing (not redshirting) for the sport your scholly is in. the big 2 are exempt because they can only offer full schollies and not partials. this really isn't that viable of a way to hide schollies as these other sports just can't handle full schollies and have a sustainable program.

baseball get 8 1/2 schollies i think. a full scholly to a football player would kill them.

Leroy Lizard
3/2/2010, 05:18 PM
How about a ghost sport? Sure, they may technically show up to play. But they don't seem to put much heart in it, haven't won a game yet, the coach is the athletic department tutor, and somehow every player on the team plays football. I will gladly offer baseball as a sacrificial lamb. Imagine Landry Jones whiffing on a strike and having the entire team laughing their *** off while cracking open brewskis.

texaspokieokie
3/3/2010, 03:22 PM
i guess this is a joke. maybe baseball could get their schollies from womens gymnastics; since all f theirs would be used by football players.

don't understand limits on football, what is the total number for football ???

rawlingsHOH
3/3/2010, 03:41 PM
baseball get 8 1/2 schollies i think. a full scholly to a football player would kill them.

11.7 when I played. Such a joke!