PDA

View Full Version : Its the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

Collier11
3/2/2010, 04:52 PM
Sorry ESPN but March Madness is much more fun than bowl season. The 1st conf tourney games start tonight and spring is just around the corner.

NormanPride
3/2/2010, 04:55 PM
It will be weird not seeing OU and UNC.

Collier11
3/2/2010, 05:00 PM
yea, you know one thing I did notice is just how hard ESPN tries to make an impact. A few weeks ago UNC was like 3-8 in conf and they were still referring to them as a Bubble Team, lol

Another great thing, as unlikely as it is, we could still run our way thru the conf tourney :D

badger
3/2/2010, 05:05 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/dhg606.jpg
my, how expectations and outlooks can change from preseason to postseason :(

or should i be posting a :)

I need one of those half-smiley, half-frownie faces.

Collier11
3/2/2010, 05:08 PM
CBB postseason pwns CFB postseason

American East conf tourney champ game > papa johns bowl
Final 4 > BCS

Eielson
3/2/2010, 07:12 PM
CFB pwns CBB, though.

Collier11
3/2/2010, 08:08 PM
Definitely, just sayin I get way more excited for hoops postseason than football postseason unless we are playin for a natl title.

And like I said, I can watch any hoops tournament game, football has some really crappy bowl games

Eielson
3/2/2010, 08:45 PM
It's not nearly as exciting when OU isn't in it, though. Purdue was going to be my team for the tournament, but then Hummel got hurt. That made me so mad.

Collier11
3/2/2010, 08:48 PM
yea ive got to pick a team, I could go cliche and root for the Zags, I could go big 12 and root for ku, I need someone original, ill have to think on it

yermom
3/2/2010, 08:50 PM
KU?

you are 0-2 so far in this thread ;)

Bowl Season pwns the tourney

Eielson
3/2/2010, 08:58 PM
I've got a thing for Coach K and Pitino teams. I'll probably cheer for them.

Collier11
3/2/2010, 08:58 PM
are you kidding, every single game in the conf tourneys and the tourney is fun to watch. The 1st two days of the tourney are almost as cool as the Last two.

There are about 25 bowl games that I dont give a **** about

JLEW1818
3/2/2010, 09:37 PM
college basketball suck hard donkey dong when compared to college football

not even close

Ruf/Nek7
3/2/2010, 09:43 PM
Syracuse!!!! Anyone but kuntucky

the_ouskull
3/2/2010, 10:57 PM
I'm going to go with this one:

First of all, it is my personal opinion that NOTHING is better than March Madness, sports-wise.

But, making the case, I'd have to say that March Madness, especially the first couple of rounds, is better-suited to; better-tailored for someone who doesn't have an 8-5 job yet. A college kid.

Bowl season is not. Other than the games immediately around the holidays, most of the games are prime time, and the ones that aren't are usually still accessible.

Now, if they went to a playoff for college football, it would be sick. Sick, sick, sick. It'd be March Madness after an upset after every freakin' game. We'd have WEEKS of analysis of each (major) game (and most of the not-so-major ones...) played. Oh, TV heaven.

the_ouskull

Sooner04
3/2/2010, 11:07 PM
I could go big 12 and root for ku,
Sweet fancy Moses.....

Sooner04
3/2/2010, 11:07 PM
college basketball suck hard donkey dong when compared to college football

not even close
Disagree. It's refreshing to see the champion decided on the floor.

...sooner
3/3/2010, 02:03 PM
march madness does make me happy

Eielson
3/3/2010, 05:10 PM
Disagree. It's refreshing to see the champion decided on the floor.

I'd rather see the two best teams go at it than jumble 65 teams together and see who can manage to survive. In basketball you have to hope you don't have a cold night shooting, get some bad calls, or get a bad matchup somewhere along the way in those 6 games. I guess you get a "champion" in the basketball, but you're way more likely to crown the best team in football.

Just look at the Big XII Tournament last year. We almost had Baylor win it. The actual winner ended up being Missouri. Did that change anybody's mind that Kansas and Oklahoma were still better? Mine certainly didn't change. Yes, they were the tournament champion, but they weren't the best team.

There are some seasons where I think that if we ran the NCAA Tournament ten times we wouldn't have the same winner more than 2-3 times.

Collier11
3/3/2010, 05:12 PM
well missouri nearly made it to the final four, in cbb the best teams usually get to the final four, being a 1 seed doesnt make you the best team, why do you think Duke goes out in the sweet 16 every year.

Eielson
3/3/2010, 05:12 PM
But yes, I enjoy watching March Madness more than bowl games. March Madness all goes together unlike the bowl games. However, it doesn't crown the best team nearly as successfully.

Collier11
3/3/2010, 05:14 PM
not getting into a cfb discussion but if you think cfb crowns the best team you are sorely mistaken. It crowns the best team out of the 2 who are selected and leaves out 4-5 other teams who are just as good in most seasons

...sooner
3/3/2010, 05:17 PM
not getting into a cfb discussion but if you think cfb crowns the best team you are sorely mistaken. It crowns the best team out of the 2 who are selected and leaves out 4-5 other teams who are just as good in most seasons

--oo this is so true!

Eielson
3/3/2010, 05:22 PM

It's a good thing you don't want to get into the CFB discussion because I was going to ask which years that "4-5 other teams were just as good" as the two in the championship game. That claim was pure BS, and you wouldn't have been able to even get close to backing it up.

Collier11
3/3/2010, 05:23 PM
are you kidding me? Ill just give one example and if you want to keep discussing we can move to the fb board

Sooner04
3/3/2010, 06:10 PM
I'd rather see the two best teams go at it than jumble 65 teams together and see who can manage to survive.
I would too, but it rarely happens in college football either.

Collier11
3/3/2010, 06:13 PM
Id say in most seasons there are about 10-15 teams that would have a realistic shot at winning a tournament

In hoops there are probably 25-30

Eielson
3/3/2010, 07:34 PM
I would too, but it rarely happens in college football either.

It isn't perfect, but it's usually not far off. Rarely, if ever, do I feel like the team that won the NC game wasn't the best team in the country.

Collier11
3/3/2010, 09:05 PM
so lsu in 07 was the best team, heh

Eielson
3/3/2010, 09:55 PM
so lsu in 07 was the best team, heh

Yes.

That was the most chaotic season in quite some time, and I would've liked a playoff in that particular season, but yes, LSU was the best team.

Sooner04
3/3/2010, 11:01 PM
Yes.

That was the most chaotic season in quite some time, and I would've liked a playoff in that particular season, but yes, LSU was the best team.
Lots of teams look good when they get to play at home.

Eielson
3/3/2010, 11:11 PM
Lots of teams look good when they get to play at home.

Lots of teams also look good when they have two top 5 picks on their defensive line.

Collier11
3/3/2010, 11:34 PM
If you say distinctively that LSU was the best team in the nation that year you are FOS! There were atleast 5 or 6 teams that year who had a legit argument and coulda beaten LSU on any given day

Eielson
3/3/2010, 11:37 PM
If you say distinctively that LSU was the best team in the nation that year you are FOS! There were atleast 5 or 6 teams that year who had a legit argument and coulda beaten LSU on any given day

I'm not saying they are distinctively #1. Nobody was. That year was chaos. You can't base your whole argument on one year, though.

Collier11
3/3/2010, 11:40 PM
I listed numerous examples from every single year except for maybe 2.

There may not have been 4-5 other teams in each year but there were 4-5 teams total each year that had a gripe.

Again, being undefeated doesnt prove you are the best team in the nation, if it did then Boise and Utah would be given more respect. Especially with the way they have performed in BCS games

Sooner04
3/4/2010, 09:45 AM
Being a contender for the national championship in football has more to do with what you did in 1950 than what you did in that particular season. Utah goes undefeated for the second time in five years, beats the team that was #1 for most of the season, and STILL doesn't get to play for the national championship.

Eielson
3/4/2010, 01:47 PM
Being a contender for the national championship in football has more to do with what you did in 1950 than what you did in that particular season. Utah goes undefeated for the second time in five years, beats the team that was #1 for most of the season, and STILL doesn't get to play for the national championship.

It's about being in a major conference. If Utah had beaten Alabama in the regular season they would've been in the championship game. They didn't play anybody of that level in the regular season, so how was anybody supposed to know how good they were? It's Utah's fault.

Collier11
3/4/2010, 01:53 PM
Yea, I mean beating Michigan, Air Force, and Oregon State non conf as well as TCU and BYU (both ranked) in conf just wasnt impressive enough

and yes I realize Michigan was bad that year but what can Utah do about that, they scheduled them thinking they would be a big time team and they beat them early in the yr

Sooner04
3/4/2010, 02:26 PM
It's about being in a major conference. If Utah had beaten Alabama in the regular season they would've been in the championship game. They didn't play anybody of that level in the regular season, so how was anybody supposed to know how good they were? It's Utah's fault.
I disagree.

soonervegas
3/4/2010, 02:31 PM
I can't wait till it's a jumble of 96 teams!

Herr Scholz
3/5/2010, 01:52 AM
It will be weird not seeing OU and UNC.

Isn't this the 2nd time recently that OU was in the NIT?

Collier11
3/5/2010, 01:58 AM
Capels 1st and 4th seasons. Hey Herr, hows it feel to hear your coach say he would rather put guys in the nba than to win a natl title?

the_ouskull
3/5/2010, 02:40 AM
Capels 1st and 4th seasons. Hey Herr, hows it feel to hear your coach say he would rather put guys in the nba than to win a natl title?

Answer him, d*ck.

Sin,

http://retroslashers.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/heathers-ram-and-kurt-150x150.jpg

btk108
3/5/2010, 03:09 AM
Herr..really? living in Austin has clouded your judgment? Capel admitted he was fighting an uphill battle coming to a football school. People like you are the reason he jets back east to find another job, only to come back and kick our ***.

NormanPride
3/5/2010, 11:14 AM
Isn't this the 2nd time recently that OU was in the NIT?

Yeah, and it's weird. Plus, I don't think we're even close to the NIT.