PDA

View Full Version : Peter King talks about Bradford

primetime43
3/2/2010, 02:41 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/03/02/mail/index.html?eref=sihp

When I asked NFL scouts and execs about the quarterbacks in this draft, the one word I heard a couple of times about Oklahoma's Sam Bradford was "frail.'' But when I met the 6-foot-4, 235-pound Bradford for an interview at an Indy hotel late Saturday night, he didn't look frail. He'd bulked up 13 pounds from the Sooners' season while rehabbing his surgically repaired right shoulder at Athletes Performance Institute in Pensacola, Fla., obviously aware that he was going to get some questions about his physical stature. When we met, I thought I'd be meeting a Matt Ryan clone -- a tall kid who needed to fill out. Bradford doesn't look like he needs to fill out right now.

It's interesting -- Bradford as a college player physically compares to Ryan. Both guys exited college -- Ryan from Boston College in 2008, Bradford from Oklahoma in 2010 -- with fine college résumés but physical concerns about holding up to the NFL beatdowns. Other than the bad turf toe Ryan suffered in 2009, he's handled the physical part of it well. If Bradford checks out physically, which is a very big but (Ryan had no such major shoulder surgery entering his NFL career), I've got to think, like Ryan, that Bradford will be a top-five pick in the draft. St. Louis, picking first, and Washington (fourth) are the best bets to get him.

I was curious to measure Ryan, picked third by the Falcons in 2008, against Bradford. Ryan's career completion percentage: .599. Bradford's .676. Ryan's career yards per attempt: 6.92. Bradford's: 9.41. Ryan's career touchdown-to-interception ratio: plus-19. Bradford's: plus-72.

By those measurements, Bradford's a better prospect. And as a couple of NFL coaches told me, his downfield accuracy is good to very good by pro standards right now -- assuming his arm checks out fine.

Ryan is probably more of a leader. Bradford is confident and well-spoken, but the book on him is he's not a rah-rah type. So we'll see how the physical part of his résumé comes out after he throws at his pro day at Oklahoma in three weeks. But I'd be surprised if he gets past Washington at four. And I agree with Adam Schefter, who said the other day he expects the Rams to pick him number one overall if they consider Bradford a no-doubt franchise quarterback.

I asked Bradford if he thought he'd justify such a high pick. "Yeah, I think I would,'' he said. "If I didn't believe in myself as much as I do, I wouldn't be here right now. I wasn't highly recruited coming out of high school, and a lot of people didn't think I belonged playing at Oklahoma. But I did, and I think I'll be able to show people the same thing at this level.''

His arm, he says, has felt "so good, I'm thinking in my mind, 'Why don't they let me throw every day? [He is throwing three days a week.] But I know my trainers and doctors know best. I know I'll be able to throw without limitations and without pain at my Pro Day.'' The Oklahoma Pro Day is set for March 26.

So ready for March 26th!

primetime43
3/2/2010, 02:47 PM
[QUOTE
I asked Bradford if he thought he'd justify such a high pick. "Yeah, I think I would,'' he said. "If I didn't believe in myself as much as I do, I wouldn't be here right now. I wasn't highly recruited coming out of high school, and a lot of people didn't think I belonged playing at Oklahoma. But I did, and I think I'll be able to show people the same thing at this level.''

QUOTE]

Just another reason to never get caught up in recruiting rankings.

Collier11
3/2/2010, 03:25 PM
by all accounts Bradford is having no issues throwing so far and I imagine it will continue into Pro Day

KantoSooner
3/2/2010, 06:04 PM
I think Peter King smokes crack to compare college stats of Ryan's with Bradford's.

Ryan played for Boston College

I mean, my God, there are high schools in Oklahoma, not to mention Texas, California and Florida, who would probably beat BC handily. Ryan's stats came against no one.

Bradford will fit into the pro game quite nicely.

badger
3/2/2010, 06:40 PM
fyi - i think OU's pro day is March 9 and Sammie's pro day is March 25. Might be wrong, not 100 percent sure.

OU-HSV
3/2/2010, 07:56 PM
fyi - i think OU's pro day is March 9 and Sammie's pro day is March 25. Might be wrong, not 100 percent sure.

No you're right. I've heard the media say the date March 25th for Sam's pro day several times. In fact I heard Sam say it the other day in an interview.

sooner ngintunr
3/2/2010, 08:08 PM
I mean, my God, there are high schools in Oklahoma, not to mention Texas, California and Florida, who would probably beat BC handily. Ryan's stats came against no one.

You're high. Someone had to say it.

Leroy Lizard
3/2/2010, 08:36 PM

He had less talent on his side of the ball as well.

Salt City Sooner
3/2/2010, 11:13 PM
You're high. Someone had to say it.
Yeah, BC's pretty solid year in, year out. I wouldn't classify them as elite by any means because you can usually count on 3-4 losses from them, but conversely, that means 8-9 wins. In fact, the last time they won as few as 7 games in a year was a year before ('98) OU's last 7 win campaign. Also, FWIW, a win by a Ryan-led BC in the '05 Humanitarian Bowl vs. Boise State is the only thing between the Broncos & a record tying 58 game home winning streak.

Clever Trevor
3/3/2010, 09:58 AM
Sam's Pro Day is two weeks before Golden Boy Clausen's. Anyone think this is good or bad?

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/3/2010, 11:35 AM
Sam's Pro Day is two weeks before Golden Boy Clausen's. Anyone think this is good or bad?

I don't think it matters much. Bradford is pretty much a lock at either of the two teams mentioned in the article. Scouts can see through the B.S that ESPN is pushing.