PDA

View Full Version : Why is OU not after this kid ?

soonerfromgeorgia
3/1/2010, 09:18 PM
I asked a month or so ago and no one had a answer, only opinions about location and his 2.9 GPA. At that time he had 16 offers, now he is up to 23 adding schools like USC, Ohio State and Notre Dame in the process.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/florida/football/recruiting/player-Ray-Drew-98374

yankee
3/1/2010, 09:59 PM
maybe because oklahoma can't offer EVERY top recruit in the country, or chooses not to? why do you have such an obsession with this kid? plus, we're pretty stacked on the DL right now.

soonerfromgeorgia
3/1/2010, 10:07 PM
maybe because oklahoma can't offer EVERY top recruit in the country, or chooses not to? why do you have such an obsession with this kid? plus, we're pretty stacked on the DL right now.

Because I've seen him play every HS game he has played and quite frankly, if he is USC good and Florida good > he should be Oklahoma good !!!

For our sooners to get where we want them and past those BCS bowl loses, we have to sign kids that are being recruited by the USC's and the Florida's.

NorthernIowaSooner
3/1/2010, 10:18 PM
Because I've seen him play every HS game he has played and quite frankly, if he is USC good and Florida good > he should be Oklahoma good !!!

For our sooners to get where we want them and past those BCS bowl loses, we have to sign kids that are being recruited by the USC's and the Florida's.

thats probly the worst argument for him anyone is capable of making, lots of guys dominate in high school, it means little. if OU wants to take a shot at him they will offer if not they either see something they dont like in him or can get someone just as good closer to home.

UF and USC dont recruit texas all that hard, are you saying we should give up the state where we get a good amount of talent because thats a pretty stupid statement to make. i think the coaches know what theyre doing, they have a pretty good track record.

soonerfromgeorgia
3/1/2010, 10:25 PM
i think the coaches know what theyre doing, they have a pretty good track record.

Yep you are right, look at their BCS "track" record. Proof enough for me that our sooners aren't as talented as the teams mentioned or they are being coached down, which is it ?

NorthernIowaSooner
3/1/2010, 10:31 PM
Yep you are right, look at their BCS "track" record. Proof enough for me that our sooners aren't as talented as the teams mentioned or they are being coached down, which is it ?

six conference championships, 4 national championship games, i dont know what youre missing here. yeah weve lost some big games but i dont think thats a talent disparity as we have been as good as or better then USC and Florida over the past ten years. granted theyve won the championships and beat us in the past couple but for a couple bad breaks we couldve beat florida. this is like saying all those kansas bball teams under roy williams were crap because they made final fours but didnt win it all.

weve had great talent here in the past years, enough to compete for national championships, become a bulldog fan

yankee
3/1/2010, 10:48 PM
guys, if we land this defensive end from georgia we'll win the national championship every year.

Eielson
3/1/2010, 11:08 PM

You do realize that in order to lose a BCS Bowl game, you must first make it to the game? They don't send too many untalented teams to BCS Bowls.

Your half-brained friend wouldn't make the difference.

misplacedsooner
3/2/2010, 12:42 AM

lay the pipe down and walk away!!
you honestly think we lack in talent?? as said ya gotta get there to win or lose.
the kid may be real good and if he is sooner material we will find him. maybe you should send bob a tape of the kid huh?

soonerfromgeorgia
3/2/2010, 07:23 AM
It is simple, if we can get these kids that they are also recruiting we don't just make it to the big games, we'll actually win some of them.
When was our last win over Texas ? When was the last conference championship that we won straight out with out the screwy BCS poll thing ?

Now, how many NC's have USC and Fla won since we won it in 2000 ?

I'm not saying this kid from Ga is the difference, but he is a pc. of it !
I'll guarantee you there is more major D-1 talent in Georgia than there is in Oklahoma. Heck we had one high school here sign 29 kids to scholarships (not all D-1) this past season and they already had 32 players on college teams from the past couple of years, players like 2 starting LB's for LSU and a all SEC D-lineman at Florida.
You got to recruit against the big boys to be considered a contender, right now we are pretenders.

auto
3/2/2010, 08:31 AM

Okay mental midget, SUC has one the exact same as OU, and UF 2. So I am missing the huge disparity.:pop:

goingoneight
3/2/2010, 09:26 AM
I wonder how many USC and Florida recruits won the 2000 National Championship?

Jello Biafra
3/2/2010, 09:29 AM
I'll guarantee you there is more major D-1 talent in Georgia than there is in Oklahoma. Heck we had one high school here sign 29 kids to scholarships (not all D-1) this past season and they already had 32 players on college teams from the past couple of years, players like 2 starting LB's for LSU and a all SEC D-lineman at Florida.
You got to recruit against the big boys to be considered a contender, right now we are pretenders.

lol here we go again. there are more people in th atlanta metro than in the entire state...what should we do about it?

so, 32 players actually on rosters and 3 of them are starters? sounds like a great talent pool. we currently have 3 kids on the team from moore schools. does that count?

as far as your pretender statement goes, is it anyway possible that we HAVE enough dends on the team right now? and is it possible that the dend you are talking about doesn't fit our scheme?

also, a good majority of those teams that have offered him are SEC schools. how do you know we didnt actually contact him and him tell us he was going to an SEC school? so ND is on his list...so USC has offered...those guys are on damn near every recruits list just because of who they are.

the kid is 6'5" 245 right now at 18... the possibility that he ends up 6'5" 280 in the next couple of years is very likely. our dends are svelt and quick. what are we going to do with a 6'5" 280lb dlineman?

KantoSooner
3/2/2010, 09:57 AM
I would assume that UGA recruits Georgia, no? So, how many NC's have they won in the last decade? How many BCS games?

As I understand it, we have a limited number of people who can recruit and they have a limited amount of time/money they can devote to travel, etc. Ergo, we can't recruit every player in the country who is good. (I've heard about this monster in Orono, Maine, but Bob is NOT there. Slacker).

I will, however, never give up my whimsical devotion to getting OU to recruit giant, evil tempered Polynesians. What's good enough for the All Blacks should be good enough for us!

SoonerAtKU
3/2/2010, 10:16 AM
You guys, I have the answer. OU should just MOVE to Georgia. Wait, just hear me out...We could change the name to the University of Oklahoma - Deep South. We could call our teams the Carpet Baggers or something. We'll never lose again with that direct tie to the pipeline of kids with below B averages in high school!

C&CDean
3/2/2010, 10:20 AM
I'm guessing this georgia boy is maybe 17-18?

soonerfromgeorgia
3/2/2010, 10:33 AM
He is 17.

sooner518
3/2/2010, 10:47 AM
maybe our coaching staff doesnt think we can get him out of SEC country.

badger
3/2/2010, 11:19 AM

You know who else was USC good? Joe McKnight. Biggest flop of a recruit ever. Pete Carroll tried to pimp him as the next Reggie Bush and McKnight failed in every aspect... well, cept accepting stuff from donors :rolleyes:

There are a lot of good players out there. Only 25 per year can come to OU. If we don't have holes at the D-line, we can't really offer schollys to more.

EDIT: Oh, and i KNOW this "sooner" from georgia didn't just call us pretenders :mad:

oudavid1
3/2/2010, 11:28 AM
look down

oudavid1
3/2/2010, 11:29 AM
You know who else was USC good? Joe McKnight. Biggest flop of a recruit ever. Pete Carroll tried to pimp him as the next Reggie Bush and McKnight failed in every aspect... well, cept accepting stuff from donors :rolleyes:

Nice

badger
3/2/2010, 11:41 AM
Not trying to bash USC or McKnight too much, but do you remember how hyped up that kid was? LSU was weeping and nashing teeth over the fact that he left Louisiana. Ole Miss' crazy Coach Ed Orgeron (soon to be fired) recruited that kid since before he was in high school. Then, a phone call with Reggie Bush later (whooops, 'I misspoke!' lolololololol) and he's a Trojan.

Even if this Georgia kid appears to be the greatest recruit ever. Even if every program in the nation offers him... he'll still not be as great of a recruit as Adrian Peterson, so we don't need to go all-out for him. :)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/2/2010, 11:47 AM
you know, mark clayton wasn't even the 3rd best receiver on his own high school team :(

badger
3/2/2010, 12:19 PM
you know, mark clayton wasn't even the 3rd best receiver on his own high school team :(

This is why for the longest time, Texas had "great recruits," but no championships while being OU beyonce.

I've heard that Miami's downfall was partially due to paying too much attention to the number of stars on Rivals and Scout and not enough actual scouting and recruiting on the program's part.

goingoneight
3/2/2010, 12:24 PM
Stoops is a very thorough evaluator of talent. Most people will look at our class when we sign a "no-name" athlete or something with a "meh."

Such guys have ended up being Sam Bradfords, Mark Claytons and Ryan Broyles... while the "targets" (AKA "star" guys) are just kinda hit or miss. One AD for every three Bomars, Tennells and Jameel Owens.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/2/2010, 12:30 PM
This is why for the longest time, Texas had "great recruits," but no championships while being OU beyonce.

I've heard that Miami's downfall was partially due to paying too much attention to the number of stars on Rivals and Scout and not enough actual scouting and recruiting on the program's part.

miami's downfall was like 22 early entrants in a 3 year period. an early entrant pretty much guarantees weakness at a position that should be a strength.

this is why i'm hesitant about relying on kids who from the moment they get that 5* rating next to their name have made up their mind to leave in 3 years. great football teams field a core of 4 and 5 year players with talented 2-3 year players sprinkled in.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/2/2010, 12:43 PM
Stoops is a very thorough evaluator of talent. Most people will look at our class when we sign a "no-name" athlete or something with a "meh."

Such guys have ended up being Sam Bradfords, Mark Claytons and Ryan Broyles... while the "targets" (AKA "star" guys) are just kinda hit or miss. One AD for every three Bomars, Tennells and Jameel Owens.

actually, the facts don't bear this up. when you look at how LUCKY we've been over the years with regards to our superstars, it paints a totally different picture of how bad our recruiting has been.

bradford would have never been offered had we not been stacked at QB and just need a "solid" guy. even then, it took the begging of chuck long to get him offered. and seriously, given long's suckitude at QB prospect evaluation, the fact that he found bradford is just this side of amazing.

clayton - we went to offer his two teammates that both shunned us. while evaluating the tapes, they saw how hard clayton competed and offered him a scholly. as a matter of a fact, on our board of talent he was like 12th or so. we struck out on most everyone above him (bj johnson, roy williams, etc) but got 2 highly ranked studs (ataleo ford, will peoples) so we settled on 2 solid prospects for depth (antonio perkins, mark clayton).

not mentioned is the guy we offered to walkon, because he didn't merit a scholarship - wes welker.

broyles - we slow played this kid for 9 months and almost lost him to the pokes going after all of these highly recruited WRs.

delhalew
3/2/2010, 12:43 PM
Has this dopey OP noticed the make-up of the Neffel draft's first round this year?

You should remove the "sooner" from your name in favor of dumbarse.

meoveryouxinfinity
3/2/2010, 12:53 PM
The evaluation on Bradford isn't really right.
Bradford started as a sophomore, made it to the playoffs I believe. His junior year was surprising as Sam kept getting bigger and taller and better and better. he took North to the state semis or quarterfinals or something. Going into his senior year I remember the DOK doing an article on the senior-filled team. They were going to be one of the best teams ever in the state. It was all hype because they went 6-6 and didn't make the playoffs. They had 4 guys go D1 though. Sam's rating went down throughout the bad senior season.

badger
3/2/2010, 01:28 PM
Bradford started as a sophomore, made it to the playoffs I believe. His junior year was surprising as Sam kept getting bigger and taller and better and better. he took North to the state semis or quarterfinals or something. Going into his senior year I remember the DOK doing an article on the senior-filled team. They were going to be one of the best teams ever in the state. It was all hype because they went 6-6 and didn't make the playoffs. They had 4 guys go D1 though. Sam's rating went down throughout the bad senior season.

Sam's last high school year sounds eerily like Sam's last OU year :(

One of my fav Sammie stories was an interview that was before Sam was even at OU - where he had just signed with them and was realizing his dream of being a Sooner.

link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=23&articleid=050630_Sp_B1_Reali4762)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/2/2010, 01:56 PM

http://www.newsok.com/golf-was-ou-quarterback-sam-bradfords-special-link/article/3349676?custom_click=pod_headline_ou-football

http://newsok.com/ou-football-meet-chuck-meet-sam/article/3332551

http://www.tulsaworld.com/site/printerfriendlystory.aspx?articleid=050630_Sp_B1_R eali4762

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/06/what-if-bomar-had-stayed/

RedstickSooner
3/2/2010, 02:10 PM
I asked a month or so ago and no one had a answer, only opinions about location and his 2.9 GPA. At that time he had 16 offers, now he is up to 23 adding schools like USC, Ohio State and Notre Dame in the process.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/florida/football/recruiting/player-Ray-Drew-98374

We don't offer every kid who plays well enough to play for us. Why should we?

Every school on the face of the earth is offering this kid. Obviously, he'll get to play wherever he wants. I would imagine, if we're not showing him any interest, it's probably because *he* isn't showing any interest.

We don't need to offer a kid just to show that we were "on the record" with realizing the kid knows how to play ball. What we need to do is get the very best players that have the very best fit for our program, and who we can land.

Some kids want to play here. Some kids don't want to play here. And some kids can be convinced they want to play here.

It's be silly for us to believe or expect that every high school player in the country will jump at the chance to wear the crimson and cream.

RedstickSooner
3/2/2010, 02:12 PM
Okay mental midget, SUC has one the exact same as OU, and UF 2. So I am missing the huge disparity.:pop:

Duh! The disparity is that suc and the gaytors have won three and we haven't won *any* since 2000!

:D

RedstickSooner
3/2/2010, 02:17 PM
actually, the facts don't bear this up. when you look at how LUCKY we've been over the years with regards to our superstars, it paints a totally different picture of how bad our recruiting has been.

bradford would have never been offered had we not been stacked at QB and just need a "solid" guy. even then, it took the begging of chuck long to get him offered. and seriously, given long's suckitude at QB prospect evaluation, the fact that he found bradford is just this side of amazing.

clayton - we went to offer his two teammates that both shunned us. while evaluating the tapes, they saw how hard clayton competed and offered him a scholly. as a matter of a fact, on our board of talent he was like 12th or so. we struck out on most everyone above him (bj johnson, roy williams, etc) but got 2 highly ranked studs (ataleo ford, will peoples) so we settled on 2 solid prospects for depth (antonio perkins, mark clayton).

not mentioned is the guy we offered to walkon, because he didn't merit a scholarship - wes welker.

broyles - we slow played this kid for 9 months and almost lost him to the pokes going after all of these highly recruited WRs.

JKM, is this part of what made/makes Leach a good coach -- the fact that he's a great evaluator of talent? I seem to remember a few years back you saying something about our coaches waking up and starting to just target whoever Tech offered... Or is my brain makin' stuff up again?

Still, does seem like an awful lot of stars weren't all that impressive in high school, but had a great work ethic and grew into their stardom.

soonerfromgeorgia
3/2/2010, 02:32 PM
EDIT: Oh, and i KNOW this "sooner" from georgia didn't just call us pretenders :mad:

Yes I did and whether you like it or not, as long as "we" come up short in the BCS games that is exactly what we are !

misplacedsooner
3/2/2010, 02:56 PM
so we are not an elite team...is this what you are saying??
told you yesterday to put the pipe down and walk away...that stuff is bad for you.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/2/2010, 03:00 PM
JKM, is this part of what made/makes Leach a good coach -- the fact that he's a great evaluator of talent? I seem to remember a few years back you saying something about our coaches waking up and starting to just target whoever Tech offered... Or is my brain makin' stuff up again?

Still, does seem like an awful lot of stars weren't all that impressive in high school, but had a great work ethic and grew into their stardom.

at one point, tech had like 5 straight years of 5th year seniors at QB. what leach had was the ability to get kids with ability that would wait for their chance at stardom. that all fell apart when we went after a kid from kentucky they were targeting that ended up picking ttech over us - he transfered after 1 year because he wanted to start immediately.

what we were getting were kids that were expecting to start as true freshman and if they didn't they bailed. the problem was why? mainstream thought was "if i was a QB with this much talent, i'd transfer somewhere else too". yet, when you look at their results over time at the new schools, they sucked there too.

these kids were extremely talented coming out of high school, but somewhere along the line they lost the edge that talent gave them when it came to succeeding in this game. whereas that no name recruit that had to prove himself found an edge that took him to the pinacle of the game.

badger
3/2/2010, 03:17 PM
Yes I did and whether you like it or not, as long as "we" come up short in the BCS games that is exactly what we are !

So you're saying if we sign this kid we are guaranteed BCS game victories

soonerfromgeorgia
3/2/2010, 03:33 PM
So you're saying if we sign this kid we are guaranteed BCS game victories

No, I'm saying to start beating the USC's and Florida's we have to recruit against them for this type of player and land a few of them.

It comes down to one of two things. Our players are either not as talented as the teams beating our Sooners or our coaching staff is getting out coached by the better teams, which is it ?

badger
3/2/2010, 03:43 PM
No, I'm saying to start beating the USC's and Florida's we have to recruit against them for this type of player and land a few of them.

So we will never beat USC or Florida never ever never ever if we don't have the exact same recruiting list that they do?

soonerfromgeorgia
3/2/2010, 03:43 PM
told you yesterday to put the pipe down and walk away...that stuff is bad for you.

Not as elite as we would like to think !

Here's a little proof.

Miami 21, Oklahoma 20
Nebraska 10, Oklahoma 3
Oklahoma 65, Texas A&M 10
Texas Tech 41, Oklahoma 13

Florida 24, Oklahoma 14

West Virginia 48, Oklahoma 28

Boise State 43, Oklahoma 42 (OT)

USC 55, Oklahoma 19

Kansas State 35, Oklahoma 7
LSU 21, Oklahoma 14

soonerfromgeorgia
3/2/2010, 03:47 PM
So we will never beat USC or Florida never ever never ever if we don't have the exact same recruiting list that they do?

Do you want to beat them once or most of the time ?

Aren't you tired of the media talking OU down every year ? They have realized the Sooners can't win the big games for some reason, they do not have their heads buried in the sand like so people do.

badger
3/2/2010, 03:55 PM

Aren't you tired of the media talking OU down every year ? They have realized the Sooners can't win the big games for some reason, they do not have their heads buried in the sand like so people do.

So you're saying that the media does not have their heads buried in the sand because they're talking down OU because OU will only beat Florida and USC once and not most of the time?

SoonerAtKU
3/2/2010, 03:57 PM
I guess my confusion is thus: if they're recruiting this person, and OU were to recruit this person, how would that turn into a win in some future game that might happen? Aren't those schools still recruiting and getting that caliber of athlete? Has it occurred to you that there are more than 25 talented football players coming out of high school every year, and this isn't Switzer's Sooners. We can't take em all just to keep someone else from getting one.

Jello Biafra
3/2/2010, 04:06 PM

Here's a little proof.

Miami 21, Oklahoma 20
Nebraska 10, Oklahoma 3

Florida 24, Oklahoma 14

USC 55, Oklahoma 19

LSU 21, Oklahoma 14

and in all of these games, which one(s) were we not in until the final gun? i count 2 and if i remember correctly, we had JUST lost our d coordinator for one of them. i know he coached in that game but he was a player favorite.

have you ever played? sometimes, your just not the best player that day. sometimes.

Jello Biafra
3/2/2010, 04:07 PM
I Has it occurred to you that there are more than 25 talented football players coming out of high school every year, and this isn't Switzer's Sooners. We can't take em all just to keep someone else from getting one.

bingo, georgia dudeguy, the NCAA limits scholarships available so we NEED to get what we NEED to be competitive. now, go look at the roster and tell me how many dends we have...

meoveryouxinfinity
3/2/2010, 04:17 PM
http://www.newsok.com/golf-was-ou-quarterback-sam-bradfords-special-link/article/3349676?custom_click=pod_headline_ou-football

http://newsok.com/ou-football-meet-chuck-meet-sam/article/3332551

http://www.tulsaworld.com/site/printerfriendlystory.aspx?articleid=050630_Sp_B1_R eali4762

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/06/what-if-bomar-had-stayed/

i'm just saying he probably would've been a 4-star if PCN wasn't 6-6, having their worst season in 10 years. I know he was recruited primarily by chuck long. When he left Sam was thinking about decommitting. Going into his senior season he was probably 4 star measurables and 3 star athletic and quartebacking ability. based on his numbers his senior year, it solidified him as a 3 star.

but anyways, this isn't really the point. Sam was thought of as one of the better quarterbacks to come out of the state in the last few years. he was making the cover of the DOK as a junior, as i said.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/2/2010, 04:30 PM

Here's a little proof.

Miami 21, Oklahoma 20
Nebraska 10, Oklahoma 3

Florida 24, Oklahoma 14

USC 55, Oklahoma 19

LSU 21, Oklahoma 14

boise state landed their first 4 star recruit EVER this year. yet you list them up there totally disproving your own argument about getting elite players.

football boils down to 3 things - repetition, matchups, turnovers. every single one of those games was about one of the 3. over 1/2 were about one - turnovers. you get 14ish possession in a game, you turn it over 4 times, you are going to have a hard time winning the game.

NormanPride
3/2/2010, 04:41 PM
Kevin Wilson should stop turning the ball over. That's why we fired Chuck Long.

badger
3/2/2010, 04:47 PM
Kevin Wilson should stop turning the ball over. That's why we fired Chuck Long.

Bob Stoops waved his magic wand and turned Third and Long into a $700k paperweight (http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2009/02/23/fired-san-diego-state-coach-chuck-long-is-worlds-first-700k-pa/) :D

SoonerAtKU
3/2/2010, 04:47 PM
And let's not forget that a low number of reps leads to a higher number of turnovers, generally. And jkm is right, if you give 4 of your possessions to the other team, they functionally have twice as many opportunities to score as you do.

Also, did you just use anecdotal evidence of less "talented" teams (Boise, KSU, Tech, Nebraska, Miami) beating OU as an example of how recruiting wins games? OU has blown the doors off of all of those teams for years in recruiting and still lost games to them. So how would one or two recruits help OU win games when they're already losing games to teams they're out-recruiting?

Your argument makes no sense, fella.

badger
3/2/2010, 04:52 PM
Duh, KU! Those Georgia recruits would make rap videos suitable for Youtube posting but definitely NSFW (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3HMr4Oxjsc&feature=related), which would then... um... someone lead to more wins.

The argument makes PERFECT sense!

goingoneight
3/2/2010, 05:36 PM

The media knocking OU's football program has their heads buried in a much scarier place.

Eielson
3/2/2010, 07:32 PM
It is simple, if we can get these kids that they are also recruiting we don't just make it to the big games, we'll actually win some of them.

Believe it or not...we do.

When was our last win over Texas ?

I think Stoops is still beating Mack head-to-head.

When was the last conference championship that we won straight out with out the screwy BCS poll thing ?

The BCS was like the sixth tie-breaker. It's not screwy, and that's why it wasn't change. Anyway, if you don't want to count that one, count the one the year before, or the one the year before that.

I'm not saying this kid from Ga is the difference

Nope. He's not.

I'll guarantee you there is more major D-1 talent in Georgia than there is in Oklahoma.

What do Jermaine Gresham, Sam Bradford, and Gerald McCoy have in common other than being first round draft picks in about a month? They're all Oklahoma kids. Oddly enough, our last two Heisman winners have been from Oklahoma.

Heck we had one high school here sign 29 kids to scholarships (not all D-1) this past season and they already had 32 players on college teams from the past couple of years, players like 2 starting LB's for LSU and a all SEC D-lineman at Florida.

29 kids? I'll believe it when I see it. Anyway, Booker T. Washington signed every starter from their team last year to play college football. Booker T. Washington I think may have at one point had more NFL players than any other high school in the country, and I know for a fact they were one of the top ones, and still are.

Yeah, it's not like anybody would want the trash players that sign with us.

Eielson
3/2/2010, 07:37 PM

THIS KID HAS THE ANSWERS TO ALL OUR PROBLEMS!!

auto
3/2/2010, 07:54 PM
Maybe Bob could hire this no-talent *** clown as the recruiting coordinator:D :rolleyes:

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/2/2010, 10:36 PM
Maybe Bob could hire this no-talent *** clown as the recruiting coordinator:D :rolleyes:

the irony is that our recruiting coordinator is in charge of the state of georgia

auto
3/3/2010, 01:01 PM
the irony is that our recruiting coordinator is in charge of the state of georgia

That made me laugh.:D

sooneron
3/3/2010, 11:01 PM

Here's a little proof.

Miami 21, Oklahoma 20
Nebraska 10, Oklahoma 3

Srsly? Your calling out scores from this past season where the training room looked something like triage at Mekong?

Florida 24, Oklahoma 14

Last time I looked, OU led that game at the half and was down by 3 with <5min remaining in the game- do you really call that a huge talent edge. I won't even bring the question of Wilson's play calling into this...

Hmm, let's see here - one team shows up pizzed off and wanting a win, the other loses it's most dynamic RB and a solid middle DLineman. They executed, we didn't.

Another hmm, yeah we had AD, but how many people chalked us up as Big 12 champs with losing the starting qb the day before fall practice. Oh by the way, that QB was ranked among "the big boys" in HS recruits his year. Pete Carrol would have jumped at the chance to land Rhett Bomar.

USC 55, Oklahoma 19

**** poor preparation. Supposedly, the suc coaching staff was predicting everything that we ran at them on offense and defense. One team played lights out and the other folded- a team with a LOT of 4-5 star players. Who's fault is that? I believe we sent 2 first rounders and 2 2nd rounders to the nfl following that game. Nope, no talent at all.

LSU 21, Oklahoma 14

KSU was one of those games where stars aligned like they did in the GOWWDNS. Their LBs tagged Jason into bolivian and Mike Stoops trip to Tucson caused defensive scheme lapses.
The last one? Well, it's too bad we didn't have a more talented qb than Jason White in 03, otherwise Kejuan would have had the ball land in his hands on that 3rd down play. I saw a team march down the field running the ball down the throats of lsu (in their backyard) only to pull up and throw once we were inside the 12. I try not to think about that game too much because we had a very talented lsu team on the ropes, but we chose to throw jabs.

soonerfromgeorgia
3/4/2010, 07:22 AM
You have a excuse for every loss, but they are only excuses.
Did the other teams not have injuries also ?

Quit calling the media stupid every-time they write something you don't like, they are only calling it as they see it and right now most of them have realized that OU is a #7 thru #15 team and they are basing it off of our performance in big games. Talk is cheap unless you have something to back it up with !
The kid I questioned as to why he wasn't being recruited is now up to 24 offers and I truly think he ends up at FSU, but you never know until he signs on the dotted line. I think if he is Florida, LSU, USC, Ohio State good, he should be OU good. You talk about being stacked at DL right now, well you red-shirt him and then plays mop up for a season, it will be 3 season's from now before he really takes the field. Does any team really have a idea where they'll be in three or four years with kids leaving early, transferring, flunking out and injuries ?

OU_Sooners75
3/4/2010, 07:40 AM
When was our last win over Texas ? When was the last conference championship that we won straight out with out the screwy BCS poll thing ?

I'm not saying this kid from Ga is the difference, but he is a pc. of it !

Florida has won two. USC has won one. Florida has been to 2. USC has been two 2.

OU has been to four, which is the most of any team in the brief history of the BCS.

We know there are more D-1 talent that comes from Georgia than Oklahoma...it is called a disparity in population. However, there is more D-1 talent that comes from Texas than any other state in the union.

OU does not just grab players from the central US. We have players from California, Nevada, Georgia, Louisiana, Tennessee, Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri. We have had kids from Florida and other states as well.

You need to learn to keep this in perspective:
1. How many of those schools have actually offered him? 23 is a heck of a lot. Sometimes people will inflate their offers.
2. It is hard for Oklahoma to pull players from Georgia and the East coast, Same as it is when it comes to USC. Even if OU offered him...it is not a guarantee that he would choose OU.
3. Maybe there are better players out there that OU has an interest instead?

This is not saying this guy is not Oklahoma good. It is saying maybe our coaches are looking at the kid, just has not offered yet...or made it be known. If he shows no interest in Oklahoma, then why would the coaches waste their time on him?

OU_Sooners75
3/4/2010, 08:11 AM

Quit calling the media stupid every-time they write something you don't like, they are only calling it as they see it and right now most of them have realized that OU is a #7 thru #15 team and they are basing it off of our performance in big games. Talk is cheap unless you have something to back it up with !
The kid I questioned as to why he wasn't being recruited is now up to 24 offers and I truly think he ends up at FSU, but you never know until he signs on the dotted line. I think if he is Florida, LSU, USC, Ohio State good, he should be OU good. You talk about being stacked at DL right now, well you red-shirt him and then plays mop up for a season, it will be 3 season's from now before he really takes the field. Does any team really have a idea where they'll be in three or four years with kids leaving early, transferring, flunking out and injuries ?

Okay...stop being a phucking retard!

Maybe you should actually sit back and learn something here. Plenty of people on this thread has tried to answer your questions as to why OU has not offered him yet. All you have done is bitch and moan about the answers you have been given.

Honestly, none of us are capable of answering the question with certainty. However we can give you reasons why they haven't offered up to this point.

Let me ask this since no one else has yet.

Are you this kid?
If so, then send in a video to the coaching staff.

Go to http://www.bobstoops.com/recruiting and look around.

If you are not this kid and you know him personally, then send him to that link.

Sometimes it is the kid that must show interest first before a team will look at him.

And if you want to answer this post with a "Not Elite" response....

All-Time leader in being ranked No. 1 in the AP Poll (97 weeks).
All-Time leader being ranked inside to Top 5 of the AP Poll (368 weeks). Nebraska is No. 2 at 294 weeks.Since the AP began in 1936, Oklahoma has 604 wins and has won 75.0% of their games. This ranks No. 1 in the NCAA in both categories.
Oklahoma record for rushing in one game: 768 vs. Kansas State in 1988.
Oklahoma leads the nation with 10+ win seasons (31).
Oklahoma leads the nation with 11+ win seasons (19).
Oklahoma has been ranked No. 1 in the BCS for 19 weeks, which is better than any other school.
Oklahoma has been ranked Top 5 in the BCS for 45 weeks, which is best in the nation.
Oklahoma holds the record for most consecutive wins (47).
Oklahoma as scored 30,925 points in their history. This is tops in the NCAA. Michigan is second with 29,944.
Oklahoma holds the NCAA record for rushing yards in a season (1971) 5,635 or 470 yards per game.
Oklahoma holds the NCAA record for points scored in a season through 12 games (702). Most points in a season in modern era through 14 games (716), both set in 2008.
Oklahoma holds the NCAA record for most consecutive 60 points scored in a game (5) in 2008.
Oklahoma has won six Big 12 Championships. Three consecutive from (2006-2008). No other team has more than 2 conference championships.
Oklahoma has 14 undefeated seasons.
Oklahoma has been ranked 677 weeks (out of 987 weeks) inside the AP Poll or 69.6% of the time.
Oklahoma's average finish in the AP Poll is 7.39 (No.1 overall).
Oklahoma has had 21 coaches. Four of which have won at least 100 games. This leads the nation.
Oklahoma has title years by polling organizations in 16 different seasons.
Oklahoma has played 268 games on television. Record: 182-89-5 (.676)
Oklahoma's first televised game, Nov. 8, 1952 against Notre Dame. This was also the first ever nationally televised football game.
Oklahoma has a total of 42 conference championships.
Take that and compare that to any school in the nation and let us know who is and who isn't elite!

goingoneight
3/4/2010, 09:44 AM
Ever think Stoops maybe watched film, evaluated character or something and just said "Meh..."?

Jello Biafra
3/4/2010, 09:45 AM
Okay...stop being a phucking retard!

Maybe you should actually sit back and learn something here. Plenty of people on this thread has tried to answer your questions as to why OU has not offered him yet. All you have done is bitch and moan about the answers you have been given.

Honestly, none of us are capable of answering the question with certainty. However we can give you reasons why they haven't offered up to this point.

Let me ask this since no one else has yet.

Are you this kid?
If so, then send in a video to the coaching staff.

Go to http://www.bobstoops.com/recruiting and look around.

If you are not this kid and you know him personally, then send him to that link.

Sometimes it is the kid that must show interest first before a team will look at him.

And if you want to answer this post with a "Not Elite" response....

All-Time leader in being ranked No. 1 in the AP Poll (97 weeks).
All-Time leader being ranked inside to Top 5 of the AP Poll (368 weeks). Nebraska is No. 2 at 294 weeks.Since the AP began in 1936, Oklahoma has 604 wins and has won 75.0% of their games. This ranks No. 1 in the NCAA in both categories.
Oklahoma record for rushing in one game: 768 vs. Kansas State in 1988.
Oklahoma leads the nation with 10+ win seasons (31).
Oklahoma leads the nation with 11+ win seasons (19).
Oklahoma has been ranked No. 1 in the BCS for 19 weeks, which is better than any other school.
Oklahoma has been ranked Top 5 in the BCS for 45 weeks, which is best in the nation.
Oklahoma holds the record for most consecutive wins (47).
Oklahoma as scored 30,925 points in their history. This is tops in the NCAA. Michigan is second with 29,944.
Oklahoma holds the NCAA record for rushing yards in a season (1971) 5,635 or 470 yards per game.
Oklahoma holds the NCAA record for points scored in a season through 12 games (702). Most points in a season in modern era through 14 games (716), both set in 2008.
Oklahoma holds the NCAA record for most consecutive 60 points scored in a game (5) in 2008.
Oklahoma has won six Big 12 Championships. Three consecutive from (2006-2008). No other team has more than 2 conference championships.
Oklahoma has 14 undefeated seasons.
Oklahoma has been ranked 677 weeks (out of 987 weeks) inside the AP Poll or 69.6% of the time.
Oklahoma's average finish in the AP Poll is 7.39 (No.1 overall).
Oklahoma has had 21 coaches. Four of which have won at least 100 games. This leads the nation.
Oklahoma has title years by polling organizations in 16 different seasons.
Oklahoma has played 268 games on television. Record: 182-89-5 (.676)
Oklahoma's first televised game, Nov. 8, 1952 against Notre Dame. This was also the first ever nationally televised football game.
Oklahoma has a total of 42 conference championships.
Take that and compare that to any school in the nation and let us know who is and who isn't elite!

he said....

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/4/2010, 10:01 AM
**** poor preparation. Supposedly, the suc coaching staff was predicting everything that we ran at them on offense and defense. One team played lights out and the other folded- a team with a LOT of 4-5 star players. Who's fault is that? I believe we sent 2 first rounders and 2 2nd rounders to the nfl following that game. Nope, no talent at all.

we didn't lose this game because of preparation, we lost it because of 4 first half turnovers on our own end of the field. the first 2-3 possessions it was looking like a track meet. then mark bradley uh, hmm...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/4/2010, 10:04 AM
KSU was one of those games where stars aligned like they did in the GOWWDNS. Their LBs tagged Jason into bolivian and Mike Stoops trip to Tucson caused defensive scheme lapses.
The last one? Well, it's too bad we didn't have a more talented qb than Jason White in 03, otherwise Kejuan would have had the ball land in his hands on that 3rd down play. I saw a team march down the field running the ball down the throats of lsu (in their backyard) only to pull up and throw once we were inside the 12. I try not to think about that game too much because we had a very talented lsu team on the ropes, but we chose to throw jabs.

this and the WV game are the 2 that i would say came down to matchups. both times it was their RB on our Ss and our WRs on their Corners. i think that the WR/Corner disparity should start to disappear after this year as we begin to see more man in the big 12. DB recruiting has gone up a ton since WV and we are a lot better in the secondary now than we were then.

NormanPride
3/4/2010, 10:21 AM
Do you really think we'll run more man with OSU running the Mumme offense?

Oh, and successful troll is successful. You guys are getting played.

KantoSooner
3/4/2010, 10:22 AM
OU Sooner75, you are money.

Jello Biafra
3/4/2010, 10:39 AM
Do you really think we'll run more man with OSU running the Mumme offense?

Oh, and successful troll is successful. You guys are getting played.

im tellin badg you called her a trol...now you gonna get it.

NormanPride
3/4/2010, 11:10 AM
baj is the best troll ever. You guys have no clue.

misplacedsooner
3/4/2010, 12:09 PM
im wondering if this guy is florida or usc good...as you put it....why is he a fsu lean???

goingoneight
3/4/2010, 12:47 PM
I'm thinking people are stereotyping a guy way too much based on programs offering him. Dez Bryant was USC/Texas/OU good, yet ended up in Stoolwater. As was Michael Crabtree.

badger
3/4/2010, 12:53 PM
baj is the best troll ever. You guys have no clue.

Oh yeah, confession time - I don't even exist. I'm actually NormanPride trying to sound like a girl, which is why (as many of you pointed out) I sound like a guy.

That girl that claims to be badger at tailgates? NormanPride hires her some weekends to pose as his wife, just to fool you all. The fact that "badger" is suddenly staying home for more games and not showing up to tailgates because she's tired and watched to watch from home? Hehehehe.

So really, this is why NP sometimes posts as badger and vise versa - we're the same person. A girl talking about football? hahahaha. You all fell for it.

OFFSEASON LOOMS! :D

Jello Biafra
3/4/2010, 02:01 PM
three billy goats gruff is starting to come into focus now for some reason...

soonerfromgeorgia
3/4/2010, 03:55 PM
im wondering if this guy is florida or usc good...as you put it....why is he a fsu lean???

Because he has grown up 40 miles from Tallahassee and has been a fan all of his life

Don't bash FSU just yet, OU has the opportunity to prove they are better than the Noles the next 2 seasons and if we turn in a showing like we did at Miami last season we will be very disappointed.

C&CDean
3/4/2010, 03:59 PM
When I asked how old this kid was I wasn't referring to the boy you think OU should recruit.

Eielson
3/4/2010, 04:45 PM
Why can't you be bulldogfromgeorgia? I mean, why would you settle for a non-SEC/elite school?

soonerfromgeorgia
3/4/2010, 09:27 PM
I'm 43 years old and I have been a sooner fan for 30 or so years. Never cared much for Georgia, but my second team I pull for is Ga Tech.

sooneron
3/4/2010, 10:51 PM
this and the WV game are the 2 that i would say came down to matchups. both times it was their RB on our Ss and our WRs on their Corners. i think that the WR/Corner disparity should start to disappear after this year as we begin to see more man in the big 12. DB recruiting has gone up a ton since WV and we are a lot better in the secondary now than we were then.

Meh, I have heard from a trainer AND a player from those days that Mike was outta town and Brent put down a gameplan. They practiced it and studied the film only to have Mike come back on Thurs screaming no no no!.
They switched the scheme back to Mike's and the players were clueless. A certain former Safety who's number was in the 30's confirmed this rumor to me.

sooneron
3/4/2010, 10:57 PM

You seem to have a hard time deciphering the difference between an excuse and a "reason".

I'm sorry that is lost on you. Maybe that's Bob hasn't offered your NAMBLA like hard on love, a Mr. Turtle- like gene pool exists in Ga.

rawlingsHOH
3/5/2010, 10:33 AM

The WVU game was one of the easiest bowl calls ever. We were without Murray, Granger, Kelly, and Reggie. English and Harris were injured and played sparingly. Slam dunk.

boomermagic
3/5/2010, 12:45 PM
I do agree with the OP when he ask WHY ? From that point on I do not agree.. Maybe we should recruit the guy ? I do not understand why everyone jumped him for asking that...

prrriiide
3/5/2010, 02:56 PM

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic/982I6vVB/1152795.jpg

Troll.

OU_Sooners75
3/5/2010, 03:03 PM
I do agree with the OP when he ask WHY ? From that point on I do not agree.. Maybe we should recruit the guy ? I do not understand why everyone jumped him for asking that...

I do not think people were jumping him for asking that.

I think people started to jump him for the comments following that question.

sooneron
3/5/2010, 03:38 PM
Is this the same guy that was sooner n ga? Gotta be. He was all about how awesome the talent pool is in jawja and how it sucked in Oklahoma.

SoonerLB
3/5/2010, 03:42 PM
Why is this thread still open? Just askin' ........ ;)

Scott D
3/5/2010, 04:05 PM
Two things occurred to me initially.

1. this kid hasn't expressed an interest in OU...(very rarely will coaches recruit someone not interested in going there)

2. well hell...reason 1 is good enough for me.

going by what the OP has said since, if the kid is a very very strong FSU lean, then that's likely going to taper off pursuit by a lot of teams, especially ones that aren't already deep in recruiting with the kid.

Besides, FSU is going to have to match every dollar that USC is going to throw his way. ;)

soonerborn45
3/7/2010, 05:36 PM

What is your raging mega huge beuner for USC all about? Really those guys had just as bad a year as OU did last year and they have won the Pac 10 which might as well be a high school conference and they have won Rose Bowls against the Big 10 which might as well be a Junior College conference. For you to sit there and say that OU does not recruit top talent is a joke. OU has had a top 5 recruiting class 6 of the last 10 years. Recruits don't always work out but OU has and will always be a big program that top recruits will look at. Just because they're not going after your boyfriend who is geting all these offers doesn't mean jack $hit.

soonerloyal
3/10/2010, 08:49 AM
Why is OU not after this kid ?

Are all Georgia fans taught in fan school to type a space before using any "?" or "!"? Why? :confused:

goingoneight
3/10/2010, 09:25 AM
I've noticed that a lot on facebook, too. Punctuation's not that difficult.

KantoSooner
3/10/2010, 10:28 AM
Punctuation is much harder when you type with only your index fingers and have to stare at the keyboard.

C&CDean
3/10/2010, 10:42 AM
Have a red card GA boy.

Jello Biafra
3/10/2010, 10:46 AM
Have a red card GA boy.

he said.

misplacedsooner
3/10/2010, 11:35 AM
Punctuation is much harder when you type with only your index fingers and have to stare at the keyboard.

you are sooo right. i have that problem sorta myself. never had to take typing class because of nerve and tendon damage in my right hand as a kiddo.

Jello Biafra
3/10/2010, 11:55 AM
you are sooo right. i have that problem sorta myself. never had to take typing class because of nerve and tendon damage in my right hand as a kiddo.

out typing classs was when i was thriteen. i couldnt get out of the class but i was the suck at it because my right hand and wrist were badly swollen for various reasons ;)

gaylordfan1
3/10/2010, 11:58 AM
I took a crash coarse in the bird pecking technique in college! Helped me tremendously.

goingoneight
3/10/2010, 12:04 PM

That sucks... I had boxer's fracture on my right hand a couple of years ago. People with tendon issues are in a minority, though. And I doubt a tendon issue causes spaces between punctuation marks. :D

But that's enough grammar copping for one day.

Maybe tomorrow I'll jump on people for not being able to spell again... :D

"We our definately a dominate team this year. Were gonna be rediculously good. Anyone who doesn't think so is dilusional."

soonerfromgeorgia
3/10/2010, 07:41 PM
I do the best I can at typing considering I have dupuytren's in both hands, I've had surgery on both hands. http://www.dupuytren-online.info/
I've also never taken a typing class and I guess it shows.

Before you criticize my way of typing, maybe you should think that there could be a problem that causes me to "peck", but that has nothing to do with the space before a ! or a ?.

Did you guys know that this smiley face :D was created for people from Oklahoma ? Heard it on XM radio a few years back, it is making fun of how big the teeth are of the folks who live in the state.

Eielson
3/10/2010, 09:18 PM
You don't annoy me for your lack of typing abilities. You annoy me because of your ideas and lack of reality. If you have a problem with your brain...that might make a difference.

misplacedsooner
3/10/2010, 09:21 PM
you are sooo clever georgie boy

gaylordfan1
3/11/2010, 10:37 AM
Oh, that is just wrong....

KantoSooner
3/11/2010, 10:39 AM
Did you guys know that this smiley face :D was created for people from Oklahoma ? Heard it on XM radio a few years back, it is making fun of how big the teeth are of the folks who live in the state.

We have all of ours. I've noticed the further east and south I go, the less teeth are in evidence. I personally smile because I live in Okiestan; which is pretty desireable place to live.

gaylordfan1
3/11/2010, 10:42 AM
:D

gotpoi73
3/11/2010, 04:55 PM

um, here in california we call it medicine...go sooners!

Eielson
3/11/2010, 05:30 PM
Do people really get made fun of for having big teeth? I know about buck teeth, over-bites, under-bites, etc., but just simply the size?

goingoneight
3/11/2010, 05:39 PM
Somebody needs to take this thread out back and shoot it.

gaylordfan1
3/11/2010, 08:49 PM
We make fun of Mr. Browns BIG YELLER TEEF! Does that count? Sorry, they aren't big, just yellow.