PDA

View Full Version : Steve Davis and Jim Harris?

Collier11
3/1/2010, 03:16 AM
For those of you who were around to see these guys play or have done the research, why is it that when we talk about the greatest players/QBs in school history, these guys never come up in the talks.

Davis was 32-1-1 as a starter with 2 national titles

Harris was 25-0 as a starter with 2 national titles

Did they just not put up that good of stats because of our offense, were they bad guys, whats the deal? Id like to hear any info that you all have

Leroy Lizard
3/1/2010, 03:41 AM
Harris goes back too far for most of us.

Davis is definitely underrated. I think his problem was a lack of flair. Other than his long QB sneak against Nebraska, I can't recall him busting any highlight-film plays. But in his job as field general, there was no one better.

AlbqSooner
3/1/2010, 07:33 AM
Neither of them was a bad guy. As was said, most are too young to recall Harris. Never lost a game while he was eligible to play. Davis was, in addition to being a great QB and a good student, an ordained minister in, I think, the Baptist church.

MrJimBeam
3/1/2010, 11:55 AM
Steve Davis' only loss was my first game attended as an OU fan. He was practically booed off the field that day.

ndpruitt03
3/1/2010, 02:44 PM
There's a interview from Jimmy Harris about 6 or 7 years ago saying that anyone could have won with the talent he had around him. I think Steve Davis has said similar things with his teams. Nothing against either one but the talent those teams had around them was amazing. Both had NFL hall of fame players. Both had a lot of guys that played in the pros. They were both good players though. Harris played a few years in the NFL.

Sooner04
3/1/2010, 02:50 PM
There's a interview from Jimmy Harris about 6 or 7 years ago saying that anyone could have won with the talent he had around him. I think Steve Davis has said similar things with his teams.
Neither one ever threw five interceptions in Lincoln.

ndpruitt03
3/1/2010, 03:07 PM
Neither one ever threw five interceptions in Lincoln.

Did either one even average 5 completions a game? I bet both had games where they fumbled it a lot. Well maybe not Harris. But I know the wishbone had a lot of fumbles from exchange problems.

Sooner04
3/1/2010, 03:13 PM
I hate the argument that those guys had so much talent around them that it was impossible for them to lose. The QB's got the ball in his hands every snap on offense. If he's a dog, they're probably going to lose. We put it on the turf 872 times against KU in '75. We lost. Davis played like crap and got booed out of Owen Field. It was the only time he lost as a starter.

Jimmy Harris and Steve Davis......those guys are legends, and it's a shame more Sooner fans don't know anything about them.

1890MilesToNorman
3/1/2010, 03:32 PM
Get to know a little about Jim Harris.

http://espn.go.com/classic/s/Where_now_harris_jimmy.html

Collier11
3/1/2010, 03:34 PM
I read that, thats where I got the idea to look these guys up even further

SunnySooner
3/1/2010, 05:01 PM
I grew up 10 minutes from Davis's hometown, Sallisaw, so I've been hearing about him all my life, didn't realize he was so underrated.

soonermix
3/1/2010, 05:12 PM
i'm going with the excuse of before my time.

A-M
3/1/2010, 06:45 PM
I think a lot of it is that they were not great passers. Now, when you think of a great QB, you think of a guy who has a great passing record. With the wishbone, that just didn't happen.

Jdog
3/1/2010, 07:33 PM
I grew up 10 minutes from Davis's hometown, Sallisaw, so I've been hearing about him all my life, didn't realize he was so underrated.

I saw him play - and never heard of him being underrated either.

Collier11
3/1/2010, 08:23 PM
when you ask people to list the top players in OU history you never hear those guys names and despite the fact that they didnt pass, they did something right

swardboy
3/1/2010, 08:48 PM
Davis just didn't have stats...throws were rare, so no passing yardage to speak of, even though he made many clutch throws. In running the option, he was either handing off, pitching, or keeping...so his rushing yards weren't anything impressive because he didn't have that many attempts.

A great option QB just didn't have personal stats to show for it...except wins and championships.

texaspokieokie
3/2/2010, 09:47 AM
if frosh could've played when Davis was one, 71 could've been his RS year
& he might've played in 72 (probably not)

if he'd played on the 72 team with the same results, his record would be 43-2-1.

he came along 1 year too soon to play 4 years.

ndpruitt03
3/2/2010, 02:21 PM
Freshmen were allowed to play in 72. Joe Washington, Selmon bros and others were among the first freshmen that played since the early 50s. Davis didn't play that year because he was like the 11th string QB.

Jdog
3/2/2010, 10:50 PM
if frosh could've played when Davis was one, 71 could've been his RS year
& he might've played in 72 (probably not)

if he'd played on the 72 team with the same results, his record would be 43-2-1.

he came along 1 year too soon to play 4 years.

I saw something where he followed the Godfather - but I thought Dave Robertson was QB in 72.

ndpruitt03
3/2/2010, 10:55 PM
I don't think Davis ever redshirted. He didn't play as a freshman. He was too far back on the depth chart. Started his true sophomore, junior, and senior seasons. I'm pretty sure they didn't have redshirt freshmen in 71 so he couldn't have redshirted. You could get extra years if you were hurt back then like you can now. Leon Cross got extra years because of that.

MyT Oklahoma
3/3/2010, 12:05 AM
I saw something where he followed the Godfather - but I thought Dave Robertson was QB in 72.

That he was on the way to an 11-1 season. Those forfeits be da*ned.

Jimmy Harris was before my time but I've read about him and have a world of respect for what he accomplished. Bud Wilkinson considered him to be the best player he ever coached.

I saw Steve Davis play on TV and in person. Steve never got the credit he deserved in part probably because he was overshadowed by Joe Washington and Tinker Owens. Happens.

Leroy Lizard
3/3/2010, 01:49 AM
Dave Robertson is one of those players that slipped into obscurity. I haven't even seen any video clips of him playing.

Lott's Bandana
3/3/2010, 09:44 AM
Favorite OU Wishbone QB:

1. Lott
2. Mildren
3. Davis

Best IMHO Wishbone QB:

1. Davis
2. Mildren
3. Lott

Steve Davis is a tremendous individual and practically a PERFECT WB QB.
He was an ordained Baptist minister and became an announcer for ABC for over a decade.

The Kansas loss at home was an absolute fluke...the team seemed like they were on quaaludes that day.

texaspokieokie
3/3/2010, 09:48 AM
what about Holieway ???

Sooner04
3/3/2010, 09:49 AM
Dave Robertson is one of those players that slipped into obscurity. I haven't even seen any video clips of him playing.
I've seen one. It was on an old highlight tape called "The Decade of the 70s, The Decade of the Sooners". It shows him throwing a perfect pass deep down field to Albert Chandler.

The quote was,
"The '72 season will be remembered for the passing of Dave Robertson to receivers like Albert Chandler, and even to a young freshman named.....Tinker Owens."

That was it. Only Dave Robertson highlight in history.

Lott's Bandana
3/3/2010, 09:50 AM
what about Holieway ???

Great question, since Lott and his Bandana nor Mildren won a MNC...

JH had a really tough time coming back from his bum knee...I have him at #4, but I am old and sometimes drunk.

texaspokieokie
3/3/2010, 09:52 AM
Davis was freshman in 71, last year that they couldn't play, so he could only play 3 seasons.

he was red-shirted in 72, & started in 73 as red-shirt sophomore.

just going by memory.

texaspokieokie
3/3/2010, 09:53 AM
JMHO

Holieway should have red-shirted the year after his injury. he didn't & was never the same.

Lott's Bandana
3/3/2010, 09:56 AM
JMHO

Holieway should have red-shirted the year after his injury. he didn't & was never the same.

I agree, but I don't think there was a medical redshirt program at the time...I could be wrong but I don't remember any other player during that era getting that opportunity.

Did Aikman get another year at UCLA?

texaspokieokie
3/3/2010, 10:00 AM
he didn't need a "medical red-shirt", he never did red-shirt. only there for 4 years.

ndpruitt03
3/3/2010, 11:03 AM
They did have medical hardships as early as the 60s. So I'm sure he Jamelle could have gotten one if he sat out a year.

texaspokieokie
3/3/2010, 11:12 AM
The point is (or was,) he didn't need a "medical red-shirt"; just a regular red-shirt.