PDA

View Full Version : Political Correctness carried to ludicrous extremes at Ole Miss

Okla-homey
2/28/2010, 08:13 PM
Okay, here goes. "Ole Miss," a/k/a the University of Mississippi has called their sports teams, at least in the modern era, the "Rebels."

This moniker was a probably a tribute to Confederate veterans.

Until the early 1990's, Ole Miss fans waved Confederate naval jacks at games. They even had an enormous one, rather like OUr huge Oklahoma flag, they unrolled and displayed on the field before games.

Their fight song, was "Dixie."

The Confederate flag waving ended because it was deemed offensive by some Ole Miss folks.

Evidently, there is a move afoot to completely can "Colonel Reb," the old Confederate mascot. The "Colonel Reb" character has already been banned from the stadium.

Now this. The students have voted for "Admiral Ackbar," the rebel leader of "Star Wars" motion-picture fame to be the new mascot. That way, they keep the "rebel," but make him PC. Unless of course, someone is playing a brilliant innerweb hoax.

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/867/zz255007984644387717006.jpg

Crucifax Autumn
2/28/2010, 08:32 PM
That's some funny ****! I hope they do it just so I can laugh at them.

OKLA21FAN
2/28/2010, 08:35 PM
its a trap

Crucifax Autumn
2/28/2010, 08:38 PM
You know what would be really funny is hearing all the opposing teams' bands coming in playing the Imperial March and watching their "Empire" dispatching of the rebel scum!

SicEmBaylor
2/28/2010, 09:02 PM
I agree its political correctness run amok.

Just one correction to Homey's post, the fight song is/was actually "From Dixie With Love" which is basically just Dixie played slowly.

Anyway, it saddens me that when I attend Ole Miss next year I'll never get to experience the sheer joy and happiness in my pants that would come from hearing the band strike up the fight song and having the student section, in mass, yell "The South shall rise again!"

Orgasmic. I'll admit it -- my love for the south is almost sexual in nature.

Viking Kitten
2/28/2010, 09:28 PM
Post reported... as really creepy.

Crucifax Autumn
2/28/2010, 09:31 PM
SicEm creepy about the south? There's a shocker!

Stitch Face
2/28/2010, 10:04 PM
Admiral Ackbar? Funny, but a hoax.

SicEm's creepiness? Not a hoax.

SicEmBaylor
2/28/2010, 10:09 PM
I was kidding!

Boarder
2/28/2010, 10:24 PM
George Lucas would never allow that unless he could come in later and add some fake looking explosions and other unneeded characters.

SicEmBaylor
2/28/2010, 10:25 PM
George Lucas would never allow that unless he could come in later and add some fake looking explosions and other unneeded characters.

They should have gone with Jar Jar.

Stitch Face
2/28/2010, 10:38 PM
Billy Idol, maybe?

Okla-homey
3/1/2010, 07:18 AM
I'll never get to experience the sheer joy and happiness in my pants that would come from hearing the band strike up the fight song "Dixie" and having the student section, in mass, yell the "Rebel yell."

Been there. Done that. Four football seasons worth. While wearing a gray uniform. In the greatest and most rabidly Confederate city in the former Confederacy. It's no big deal. Really.

Veritas
3/1/2010, 10:47 AM
Would you two just put on your Civil War uniforms and **** already?

SoonerStormchaser
3/1/2010, 07:56 PM
Wow...where did THAT come from, Veritas?

Okla-homey
3/1/2010, 08:40 PM
I checked it out with an Ole Miss alum law skool classmate of mine. It started out as a goof by some Ole Miss students, but has, as is so often is the case with the innerweb, taken on a life of it's own.

What is definitely true however, is Ole Miss is trying mightily to disavow any Confederate connotations in or around its athletics and among its fans...including banishment of Colonel Reb as a mascot.

Which is smart. Because the only people who persist in display of the Confederate naval jack, either as a flag, a sticker on their pick-up, or in the form of a tattoo, are morons. Not fair, but the KKK and the anti-civil rights folks in the 50's and 60's who co-opted said honorable historical symbol, ruined it. Irretrievably.

Veritas
3/1/2010, 11:34 PM
Wow...where did THAT come from, Veritas?
I was joking with respect to the bromance going on between SicEm and Homey. They try to disguise it by bickering about the Civil War, states rights, and who's the real conservative, but you know they think the other is just dreamy. :texan: :P

SicEmBaylor
3/2/2010, 12:14 AM
I was joking with respect to the bromance going on between SicEm and Homey. They try to disguise it by bickering about the Civil War, states rights, and who's the real conservative, but you know they think the other is just dreamy. :texan: :P

I'll say it now: I'm the dominant male in the relationship.

Fraggle145
3/2/2010, 08:56 AM
I'll say it now: I'm the dominant male in the relationship.

That is comedy gold.

Bourbon St Sooner
3/2/2010, 10:33 AM
I have a buddy who happens to be of color and was recruited to play football at Ole Miss. He said when he went there and saw all those people waving those rebel flags that there was no way in hell he was going to school there.

Jacie
3/2/2010, 11:16 AM
I feel it is kind of sad that our heritage to future generations will be so watered down no one will really understand what it took to get there. That someone feels offended by a rebel flag means they were indoctrinated at an early age and then who is intolerant of other's beliefs? Maybe this one bothers me more than say the Sooners losing Little Red because one of my first football games I remember watching and enjoying was Alabama @ Mississippi, quarterbacked by Archie Manning. It was a night game and my father and I sat together in front of the television that night eating pizza. Seemed the teams swapped the lead all night as Alabama would score then Rebel fans waved their flag and their band played the fight song urging Archie to drive em one more time to the endzone and take back the lead. I don't think it would have been as much fun if General Akbar had been prowling the sidelines miming for everyone to cheer.

Boarder
3/2/2010, 11:39 AM
Admiral Ackbar.

MrJimBeam
3/3/2010, 06:48 AM
Just one correction to Homey's post, the fight song is/was actually "From Dixie With Love" which is basically just Dixie played slowly.

The Ole Miss fight song is "Forward Rebels". They play Dixie but Forward Rebels is the touchdown song.