PDA

View Full Version : NFL Thinking of Changing OT Rules

sooner59
2/28/2010, 03:11 PM
Looks like Goodell and Co. and pondering a change to OT rules in the NFL. The new rule would change the meaning of sudden death to "sudden death....unless it is a field goal". In OT if the first team with the ball only nets a FG, then the other teams gets the ball. If that teams scores a TD, they win. If the first team scores a TD on their drive, however, it is over immediately. This might have changed the outcome of the NFC championship game as the Viking would have gotten the ball back with a chance to score a TD and win. Doubt it will pass, but interesting nonetheless.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-otplayoffs022710&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Collier11
2/28/2010, 03:51 PM
not sure why you would get it back if you held the other team to a FG but not if they scored a TD, seems too gimmicky to me

ndpruitt03
2/28/2010, 03:58 PM
Why not just change it to where both teams have the ball once then have sudden death. That makes a little more sense.

Collier11
2/28/2010, 04:02 PM
thats what im thinking, both teams get the ball and if it is still tied it goes to sudden death, duh

As far as college goes, I like the format but I think it would be better if they started possessions at the 35 or 40 instead of the 25

ndpruitt03
2/28/2010, 04:44 PM
The college rule basically takes out special teams for the most part. I don't like that.

sooner59
2/28/2010, 05:38 PM
Takes out the special teams? A lot of college OT's are won and lost on the leg of a kicker, especially if the team doesn't move the ball and they have to kick from the 25 yardline. But yeah I like Collier's idea as well. Back them up a ways and it makes it more interesting.

Collier11
2/28/2010, 05:40 PM
thats why I think it should be pushed back though, as long as you arent OU 2009 you get a guaranteed 3 pts 99 times out of 100

ndpruitt03
2/28/2010, 05:42 PM
Takes out the special teams? A lot of college OT's are won and lost on the leg of a kicker, especially if the team doesn't move the ball and they have to kick from the 25 yardline. But yeah I like Collier's idea as well. Back them up a ways and it makes it more interesting.

Punting/return game is totally out. FG kicking is out probably half the time. especially if a game goes 3 or 4 OTs and the you can't kick pats.

sooner59
2/28/2010, 05:48 PM
I don't really miss punts/returns in OT. I like seeing offense versus defense and clutch kicking. And I love the rule that makes you go for two after a few OT's. Few things are as intense as a 2 point conversions to keep the game going and hopes alive. But that is just my personal preference. Probably because as a former offensive lineman, I never wanted my kicker on the field with the game on the line. I wanted 1 or 2 yards between us and the endzone with only the guys across from us holding us back. It is all about who executes and wants it more.

ndpruitt03
2/28/2010, 06:23 PM
The college OT rule is the only rule that's worse than the NFL OT.

StoopTroup
2/28/2010, 07:16 PM
They probably ought to just flip a coin and call it a winner huh? :rolleyes:

ndpruitt03
2/28/2010, 07:19 PM
They probably ought to just flip a coin and call it a winner huh? :rolleyes:

It's note even real football. It is basically like changing the game to arena football after playing football for 4 quarters.

StoopTroup
2/28/2010, 07:27 PM
I'd like to see you play some Arena Ball.

Leroy Lizard
2/28/2010, 07:48 PM
I have a far better solution: In the case of a tie, the team that has held its opponent to the fewest yards wins.

Don't like the output? Get better on defense.

No running up the score. The outcome is well defined and known ahead of time. No ambiguity.

Okay, maybe it wouldn't be too popular. But I like it.

goingoneight
3/2/2010, 09:42 AM
College OT is the best by far. As stated above, the ball is started at easy FG range... so that could be backed up.

RedstickSooner
3/2/2010, 09:53 AM
I like watching football, so my preference is to go baseball's way -- just add an extra period. Doesn't have to be a full fifteen minutes, could just be, say, 10. If that doesn't work, add another one. Or, after the added period, you could switch to one of the current methods.

Just seems silly to go to something totally different in overtime. I'd rather see more of the same if it's been such a close, hard-fought game.

All that being said, what the NFL is proposing would be an improvement, even if it wouldn't be perfect. 'Course, having team captains come out to mid-field and whoever can throw a turd so it sticks to the camera-on-wires first wins the game would be a better method than what the NFL currently uses... So making an improvement wasn't exactly something that'd take a million monkeys hammering away at a million typewriters an eternity to develop.

oudavid1
3/2/2010, 10:08 AM
I'd say back them up to the 50!