PDA

View Full Version : When is the last time...

Collier11
2/27/2010, 01:04 PM
that we made a play with the game in doubt that turned the tide in a close win?

There has been alot of talk about how we dont win close games anymore and ut does and alot of it is legit. Just looking at the last two years Neb, tex, byu, miami during 09 we had chances to make a play to win a close game and couldnt do it.

In 08 we had a chance against florida and tex and couldnt make a play down the stretch to win the game

In 07 we got the huge strip by Lofton against texas, that is the last one that stands out in my mind

I guess you could put a few plays against osu from 08 or a few plays against stanford last year in the discussion.

Why do you think this is such an issue for us? You could argue that we just werent as good as we thought last year but I dont buy it because this has been an issue for a while now while most of our wins are by 10 or more

yermom
2/27/2010, 02:06 PM
i think some of it is clock management

how many times have we blown leads in those close games?

but yeah, the last time i remember needing a TD to win a game and getting it was against Baylor in OT

Collier11
2/27/2010, 02:08 PM
Several blown leads

Widescreen
2/27/2010, 02:22 PM
We made a nice stop at the end of the game against Stanford.

SoonerShay
2/27/2010, 02:24 PM
When was the last time we had a quarterback start more than 2 years under Stoops? The whorns have had 2 different qbs the last few years, we have had 5 different starting quarterbacks in the same time span. 3 had to start as redshirt freshman.

Teams that do this usually have good leadership at the Qb position. I don't remember Colt McCoy and Vince Young being all that good at it as redshirt freshman. Getting blown out by TOSU and Kstate at home and losing to aTm and the RRR ( in contrast wouldn't us coming from behind to win this game refute your point?). Vince Young getting punked by Arkansas, OU twice, WashSt etc.

Maybe you just expect to much from freshman quarterbacks.

Collier11
2/27/2010, 02:29 PM
maybe you shouldve read my post, I mentioned the Stanford and the texas games. In 08 Bradford was a RS soph, in 06 Thompson was a Senior so your point really isnt valid

SoonerShay
2/27/2010, 02:37 PM
maybe you shouldve read my post, I mentioned the Stanford and the texas games. In 08 Bradford was a RS soph, in 06 Thompson was a Senior so your point really isnt valid

My point is valid. In 08 we had 2 whole close games, and in 06 we won close games under Thompson! Hell we won 17 to 16 at Texas A&M.

We had close games against aTm, TT, Oregon and osu. All were wins and yes I'm counting oregon as a win. We should of won against Boise State, Thompson led us back in that game.

You invalidate your points yourself by naming a close game we just recently won.

Dan Thompson
2/27/2010, 03:09 PM
Jamel Hoilway as a true freshman took the team to the National Championship in '85.

Dan Thompson
2/27/2010, 03:12 PM
Jamel Hoilway as a true freshman took the team to the National Championship in '85.

Collier11
2/27/2010, 03:26 PM
My point is valid. In 08 we had 2 whole close games, and in 06 we won close games under Thompson! Hell we won 17 to 16 at Texas A&M.

We had close games against aTm, TT, Oregon and osu. All were wins and yes I'm counting oregon as a win. We should of won against Boise State, Thompson led us back in that game.

You invalidate your points yourself by naming a close game we just recently won.

Since 06 we have lost 11 games that we were in position to win late in the game, my point is quite valid, you simply dont know what you are talking about

SoonerShay
2/27/2010, 04:02 PM
Since 06 we have lost 11 games that we were in position to win late in the game, my point is quite valid, you simply dont know what you are talking about

Since 06 we have had 2 redshirt freshman quarterbacks start for us. Which I pointed out drastically reduces your chances of winning close games. The only good thing about a freshman starting for you is he may be a 4 year starter and lead you to great wins later in his career.

Like I said maybe you expect to much from freshman quarterbacks. Yes Bradford was great as a sophmore, but he was still just that, a sophmore.

Collier11
2/27/2010, 06:11 PM
sheesh

BoulderSooner79
2/27/2010, 07:39 PM
sheesh

I know what you mean - hard to stay on topic during the off season. I think the Lofton strip of Jamal Charles is the perfect example as you point out. Lofton also had big plays in both contests against Mizzou that year. So maybe we just haven't had the "big play guys" the last few seasons? Or maybe it's just random walk and the odds haven't gone our way.

We have 2 different lynch mobs on the board that either blame BV because we can't make the big stop or that blame KW for not calling the critical play. I'm more in the 2nd mob as I think KW is a wonderful strategic thinker, but falls short in on-the-fly game time adjustments. If his game plan is working, we can over-whelm just about anyone, but if it's a back and forth, white knuckle affair - he doesn't seem to have the creativity or have that "one play" in his back pocket he saves for the perfect occasion. It's just pure execution with him and that's not guaranteed to work if the defense has adjusted to it. But this is just my opinion of course - ya gets what you paid for.

But it could just be a lack of "big play guys" like Lofton or the real RW. Against UF in '08 Johnson could have caught that ball on the goal line instead of deflecting it for the INT. And Iggy could have gone up strong for that ball in the 4th qtr and not let the DB steal it from him on the bobble. Big play guys would have won that game on the biggest stage of all.

Collier11
2/27/2010, 09:03 PM
We have 2 different lynch mobs on the board that either blame BV because we can't make the big stop or that blame KW for not calling the critical play. I'm more in the 2nd mob as I think KW is a wonderful strategic thinker, but falls short in on-the-fly game time adjustments. If his game plan is working, we can over-whelm just about anyone, but if it's a back and forth, white knuckle affair - he doesn't seem to have the creativity or have that "one play" in his back pocket he saves for the perfect occasion. It's just pure execution with him and that's not guaranteed to work if the defense has adjusted to it. But this is just my opinion of course - ya gets what you paid for.

I agree with this about KW exactly, wonderful tactician (sp?) who puts together great gameplans but when we need a huge, game deciding type play sometimes he seems to fall flat. Still a great Off coord

HillbillyRay
2/28/2010, 11:17 AM
spot on about KW, he never seems to make much of an adjustment at all, granted our execution has not been good in those clutch spots, as for the defense, i would like to see BV use more of a 3-4 this year, get more "playmakers" on the field at once

rawlingsHOH
2/28/2010, 05:02 PM
lots if close wins in 2006

a couple in 2007

rawlingsHOH
2/28/2010, 05:04 PM
In 07 we got the huge strip by Lofton against texas, that is the last one that stands out in my mind

that was in the 3rd quarter

i think bradford's TD pass to kelly, into the oncoming blitz, and reggie's pick were in the 4th q of that game, to seal the win

Collier11
2/28/2010, 05:05 PM
that is correct

ndpruitt03
2/28/2010, 05:40 PM
The last game we played. Broyles punt return then Rattaree had a long catch to make it 31-24

sooner59
2/28/2010, 05:43 PM
That pick 6 against Boise in 06 was one of those "Sooner Magic" moments. Only thing was Boise still had time and more magic that night. I think their coach was David Blaine or something.

But because of that pick 6, Marcus Walker will always be sort of a hero to me. He made a game changing play to pull ahead with a little over a minute left, but the football gods did not want us to win that game.

Collier11
2/28/2010, 05:47 PM
One of the Top 5 moments of the Stoops era if only

oudavid1
2/28/2010, 08:09 PM
that was in the 3rd quarter

i think bradford's TD pass to kelly, into the oncoming blitz, and reggie's pick were in the 4th q of that game, to seal the win

Love that game

Salt City Sooner
2/28/2010, 08:31 PM
That pick 6 against Boise in 06 was one of those "Sooner Magic" moments. Only thing was Boise still had time and more magic that night. I think their coach was David Blaine or something.

But because of that pick 6, Marcus Walker will always be sort of a hero to me. He made a game changing play to pull ahead with a little over a minute left, but the football gods did not want us to win that game.
Every time I see that game I keep begging Marcus to take a knee @ the 1 so we could run the clock out. He still hasn't done it. :(

oudavid1
2/28/2010, 09:14 PM
Every time I see that game I keep begging Marcus to take a knee @ the 1 so we could run the clock out. He still hasn't done it. :(

Lets go up to I-duh-hoe and get that trophy back. We will paint the turf red.

Salt City Sooner
2/28/2010, 10:10 PM
Lets go up to I-duh-hoe and get that trophy back. We will paint the turf red.

No need to bring the paint. Just make a little side trip to Cheney, Washington:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4946817

oudavid1
2/28/2010, 10:15 PM
No need to bring the paint. Just make a little side trip to Cheney, Washington:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4946817

Who said anything about Red Paint? Sick em Ronnell