PDA

View Full Version : How good is Corey Nelson? Really

MojoRisen
2/26/2010, 08:20 PM
Over the past two seasons he has been one of the most dominating defensive players in the Lone Star State. He compiled 276 tackles, 22 sacks, 38 tackles for a loss and blocked 8 punts!

Holy SHiaate!

Collier11
2/27/2010, 01:19 PM
but did he run a 3.9 40 time like Chijoke?

HillbillyRay
2/28/2010, 12:18 PM
hopefully really good, cant have to many good LBs

Soonermagik
2/28/2010, 05:06 PM
We will see. College is a lot different than high school, so it doesn't always transition. Plus, some guys are lazy and never reach their potential.

Trust me, I hope the guy is all world, but I will hold off until I see it. I think he has all the tools to be an awesome player, but only time will tell.

MojoRisen
2/28/2010, 06:01 PM
8 blocked punts is an impressive stat for sure, that is not something that can be coached and is some big play stuff! Also the fact that he was all state as a DE as a sophmore and 3 time All State in Texas is pretty impressive. His stats are gaudy!

OU_Sooners75
3/4/2010, 09:04 AM
8 blocked punts is an impressive stat for sure, that is not something that can be coached and is some big play stuff! Also the fact that he was all state as a DE as a sophmore and 3 time All State in Texas is pretty impressive. His stats are gaudy!

Actually it can be coached...and is coached. :P

A coach will draw up a scheme to get his to ends free to the punter. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesnt. ;)

And as far as the punt block itself...yeah, it is also coached. Arms extended, launch/aim in front of the punter/kicker, cross arms are forearms. :D

But seriously....you're right, instincts and quickness to the ball cannot be coached.

MojoRisen
3/4/2010, 09:30 AM
I have seen a lot of great LB's and DE's in my day at the highschool level - played with many. 8 blocked punts at a Texas level is very rare.... Reminds me of Jason Carter, he had a knack for that when we needed it. That is one of the biggest plays in football if you can get some.