PDA

View Full Version : Mac looks to BSU for tricks

OK2U
2/26/2010, 12:34 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/10616/texas-looks-to-boise-state-for-more-creativity

Nobody has accused Texas of being stale.

After all, the Longhorns have won 25 of their last 27 games and have played in four BCS bowl games, winning a national championship in 2005, over the last six seasons.

But you never quit learning, which is why Texas coach Mack Brown and his offensive staff are meeting with the Boise State offensive coaches over the next two days with the hope of adding some more creativity to the Longhorns' offense.

In particular, Brown wants to incorporate a few more trick plays into what Texas is doing on offense.

"I want to have more fun," Brown said. "Of course, it's hard to have trick plays with the spread offense. Chris Petersen and Boise have done the best job with it. I want us to have more innovations."

Last season, Boise State ran seven plays on which someone other than the quarterback threw a pass or lateral, not counting the swinging-gate two-point conversions.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/26/2010, 01:52 PM
Note to Stoops: Be on the look out for the Statue of Liberty play...

And a few other gimmicky plays.

Jacie
2/26/2010, 02:01 PM
For the first time in four years, Mack has to break in a new quarterback, coupled with the loss of his star wide receiver. And here he is, four full seasons after Vinnie left and sa*et still hasn't developed a decent (i.e. dependable) running game and it has been longer than that since they have had a blocking, let alone receiving tight end. He is thinking about how other teams will try to defend against the 2010 whorns and he doesn't like what he sees. So naturally, he is dreaming up ways for someone else to handle the ball and take some of the defensive pressure off Gilby.

Dio
2/26/2010, 02:06 PM
Stoops talking to Saban > Yellowtooth talking to Smurfy McPeterson

goingoneight
2/26/2010, 02:58 PM
I'd be going to a place or person who can help develop a good ground game to compliment the spread they've done so well in recent years if I were looking to improve on Tejas' record the last three years.

ouduckhunter
2/26/2010, 03:50 PM
Watch for a burnt orange field coming to a stadium near you!!

fadada1
2/26/2010, 04:01 PM
reading into this, as some broadcasters are known to do, mac is lacking athletes and needs to find ways to get guys in the open field... before they get clobbered.

Herr Scholz
2/26/2010, 05:00 PM
Look for Texas to run more 3-wide sets this year with 2 RBs or 1 RB and an H-back (to help the running game and to protect Gilbert).

As far as the trick plays go, I'd expect some reverses to keep the DE honest and more deep balls to back up the CBs. That should be about it.

AzianSooner
2/26/2010, 11:43 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/10616/texas-looks-to-boise-state-for-more-creativity

Mack playes with OU defensive coaches in hope to reduce the number of blitz toward his new qb.

Note: Mack has looked so carefull in the hit drop from mr. OU "Hammer" to a poor Leland Stanford Junior College player. He hope that WILL NEVER be done onto his beloved Gilbert.

rainiersooner
2/27/2010, 12:01 AM
Stoops talking to Saban > Yellowtooth talking to Smurfy McPeterson

Yellowtooth - heh, love it.

God I want to smack them down hard this year.