PDA

View Full Version : FDA wants to Control supplements

Blues1
2/25/2010, 11:06 PM
Hi to All...
Do you want the FDA controling your supplements..??

jmho ~~ We need to stop FDA from taking over all Health Supplements...!!.

Senator John McCain Files New Bill That Attacks Your Access to Supplements and Repeals Key Sections of the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act
Please click on this Link and take some action ~~ Stop this crap now...!
link
http://www.HealthFreedomRights.com

** Also for all your friends and loved one's who suffer from daily or constant pain checkout these "Recorded Calls" about some amazing New Products to hit North America - Yep I'm in this ~~~ Gotta do something until September ~~ :) - "Zero Point Energy products" and how the body can heal itself....

Go to: ~ http://www.getonthecalls.com

Have Fun & Keep Rockin;
http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/RonnieLane

http://www.eamega.com/divinemind

Leroy Lizard
2/25/2010, 11:15 PM
Freedom to be jilted out of your money on worthless supplements that promise improvements in health they cannot deliver?

Wasn't the FDA created to prevent this?

** Also for all your friends and loved one's who suffer from daily or constant pain checkout these "Recorded Calls" about some amazing New Products to hit North America - Yep I'm in this ~~~ Gotta do something until September ~~ - "Zero Point Energy products" and how the body can heal itself....

Looks like a total ripoff.

Blues1
2/25/2010, 11:35 PM
Freedom to be jilted out of your money on worthless supplements that promise improvements in health they cannot deliver?

Wasn't the FDA created to prevent this? ~~ Nope ~~ B12 a worthless supplement - I don't think so....

Looks like a total ripoff. ~~

I've seen enough of your posts this year where everything in Life is a ripoff ~~~ To each his own ~ Have some Fun once in ~ While

Leroy Lizard
2/25/2010, 11:52 PM
At least you don't see me selling "magic bracelets" to the unsuspecting.

Blues1
2/26/2010, 12:26 AM
At least you don't see me selling "magic bracelets" to the unsuspecting.

Yep ~ your are right on that...!

In fact I couldn't see you selling ~ anything...
Well "Maybe" selling drugs to a drug addict ~~~ You might be able to pull that off......!

Keep R' -- If that's Possible....?

Leroy Lizard
2/26/2010, 12:35 AM
In fact I couldn't see you selling ~ anything...

Oh, I can sell if I lie enough. That isn't much of a challenge. "Here, buy this magic bracelet and you will feel healthier, have more energy..."

Now, try to be honest about your products and see how you do. Much tougher.

Blues1
2/26/2010, 12:45 AM
Leroy Quote ~~~ "Oh, I can sell if I lie enough"
"We All" ~~ Already know that Leroy ~ Now isn't it past your Bedtime.......

Leroy Lizard
2/26/2010, 12:54 AM
I can't sleep. You see, I am wearing a magic bracelet on my wrist that has given me so much energy that I will likely stay awake all night.

Now, who was it that sold it to me? Oh, yeah... your friendly Amega representative.

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/8020/wallpapermrhaney1cx.jpg

You mean you don't have a maaaagical bracelet, Mr. Douglas?!?! Why, I have one of those right here on my truck. Guaranteeeeeeed to energiiiiiiiiize you all night long. Now, how about one for the misses?

Blues1
2/26/2010, 01:08 AM
Leroy Quote ~~ "I can't sleep. You see, I am wearing a magic bracelet on my wrist that has given me so much energy that I will likely stay awake all night."

AMEN Leroy -!!! ~~~ You are smarter than I thought ~~ Keep Rockin'

Leroy Lizard
2/26/2010, 01:17 AM
Happy hunting. I suggest you call Vince Young.

Blues1
2/26/2010, 01:30 AM
Great Suggestion Leroy ~~~ !
Leroy Quote - "Happy hunting. I suggest you call Vince Young"

He could sure use these products ~~ !! -- I will make sure he knows you suggested he needs more energy.....You Are "The Man"
Rock on Leroy ...!!

Leroy Lizard
2/26/2010, 01:33 AM
No, I just heard that having too much money was his problem; I'm sure Amega's products are the cure.

soonerboomer93
2/26/2010, 01:51 AM
Hi to All...
Do you want the FDA controling your supplements..??

jmho ~~ We need to stop FDA from taking over all Health Supplements...!!.

Senator John McCain Files New Bill That Attacks Your Access to Supplements and Repeals Key Sections of the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act
Please click on this Link and take some action ~~ Stop this crap now...!
link
http://www.HealthFreedomRights.com

** Also for all your friends and loved one's who suffer from daily or constant pain checkout these "Recorded Calls" about some amazing New Products to hit North America - Yep I'm in this ~~~ Gotta do something until September ~~ :) - "Zero Point Energy products" and how the body can heal itself....

Have Fun & Keep Rockin;
http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/RonnieLane

http://www.eamega.com/divinemind

As someone who takes a fair amount of them I don't have a problem with this. I need to read more about it to understand what the proposal is, but that's my initial reaction. I'd rather have better information about some of the items i've taken, and looked at taking then what's currently available. The ingrediants are often listed as their chemical names and it's hard to make heads or tails of it. Really on store personnel isn't always the best thing either.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/26/2010, 10:00 AM
Freedom to be jilted out of your money on worthless supplements that promise improvements in health they cannot deliver?.

Some supplements are good. Glucosamine, Chondrotine, natural Fish oil, to name a few...We don't need the government into everything. Why McCain would sponsor this I have no idea? He just showed himslef not to be conservative, but a blue blood RINO.

OhU1
2/26/2010, 10:13 AM
Health food stores are full of snake oil such as homeopathic "remedies". Harmless, but fraudlent at best. I am not anti-supplement - many are very helpful and needed. However many of these products make heath claims and attempt to mislead the consumer by implying they have drug like efficacy. P.T. Branum was right, there's a sucker born every minute.

yermom
2/26/2010, 10:48 AM
i've got mixed feelings on it.

but if you walk in there and with a nudge and a wink the clerk tells you what said supplement is for, but on the bottle it has a disclaimer "This statement has not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease"

then there is something shady going on. and they could put anything in there. you'd have to just go on what other people tell you about them and who knows about interactions.

Leroy Lizard
2/26/2010, 10:56 AM
Why would one take chondrotine as a supplement?

I'm not taking sides yet on this FDA issue, just wondering.

yermom
2/26/2010, 10:57 AM
supposed to be good for your joints

NormanPride
2/26/2010, 11:13 AM
It helps rebuild cartilage I believe.

1890MilesToNorman
2/26/2010, 11:17 AM
Gubmint takes another bite out of the freedom cookie. That cookie is just about gone.

soonerscuba
2/26/2010, 11:21 AM
While they're at it, when are we going to get to chiropractors?

Okla-homey
2/26/2010, 11:38 AM
I would be fine iwith keeping the FDA out of it, IF these "supplements concocters", a/k/a snake oil salesmen, were required to include the following statement on every package, rather like the Surgeon General's warning on cigs:

"None of the claimed benefits of this product have been clinically proven and therefore the consumer is urged to consider whether it might be cheaper to simply rub dirt on his or her ailment."

homerSimpsonsBrain
2/26/2010, 11:58 AM
I would be fine iwith keeping the FDA out of it, IF these "supplements concocters", a/k/a snake oil salesmen, were required to include the following statement on every package, rather like the Surgeon General's warning on cigs:

"None of the claimed benefits of this product have been clinically proven and therefore the consumer is urged to consider whether it might be cheaper to simply rub dirt on his or her ailment."

Sounds like a great idea for a supplement. "This dirt is FDA recommended as the cheaper alternative to (current popular snake oil here)"

At some point, you cant make life idiot-proof. Life seems to always invent a better idiot.

Okla-homey
2/26/2010, 12:16 PM
Sounds like a great idea for a supplement. "This dirt is FDA recommended as the cheaper alternative to (current popular snake oil here)"

At some point, you cant make life idiot-proof. Life seems to always invent a better idiot.

Like ol' P.T. Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute."

homerSimpsonsBrain
2/26/2010, 12:30 PM
Like ol' P.T. Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute."

And I think Barnum was being conservative. :D

TheHumanAlphabet
2/26/2010, 01:48 PM
Health food stores are full of snake oil such as homeopathic "remedies". Harmless, but fraudlent at best. I am not anti-supplement - many are very helpful and needed. However many of these products make heath claims and attempt to mislead the consumer by implying they have drug like efficacy. P.T. Branum was right, there's a sucker born every minute.

I don't disagree, but what about researching things for oneself and then make a decision. Does the gubment have to do that for you?

TheHumanAlphabet
2/26/2010, 01:49 PM
Why would one take chondrotine as a supplement?

I'm not taking sides yet on this FDA issue, just wondering.

Helps lubricate joints and prevents me from taking pain meds for my arthritic knee.

soonerscuba
2/26/2010, 02:02 PM
Is there a reason for this? I mean, having a QA and regulatory system for ingested products makes sense, but has there been issues beyond people being duped?

yermom
2/26/2010, 02:14 PM
I don't disagree, but what about researching things for oneself and then make a decision. Does the gubment have to do that for you?

why do they need to do that for food and drugs at all?

if they actually do what is claimed, i don't see why it wouldn't fall under the umbrella of the FDA

OhU1
2/26/2010, 02:44 PM

For drugs or products making "drug claims" I would say the gov. involvement is necessary as the consumer is incapable of funding their own scientific research. Protection of public health would seem enough to justify gov involvement in the drug arena. The government requires food ingredient and nutrition info. on packages and that does not bother me either. Nor does gov involvement in meat and restaurant inspection. In fact, I would welcome more gov involvement in that area.

What does **** me off is some idiot teenager takes 25 times the recommended dosage of a product and dies and the FDA takes it off the shelf for the rest of us.

Boarder
2/26/2010, 03:07 PM
Did you read the summary?

It would repeal key sections of the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA). DSHEA protects supplements if 1) they are food products that have been in the food supply and not chemically altered or 2) if they were sold as supplements prior to 1994, the year that DSHEA was passed. If a supplement fits one of these two descriptions, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) cannot arbitrarily ban it or reclassify it as a drug.

So what would this really even affect? What has been sold prior to 1994 that is grandfathered in, here? When you read the anti-bill reports it looks like the same old "they took our jerbs" fear mongering stuff.

I'm not saying I'm for or against it without looking, but the link in the first post looks a little conspiracy-theory.

Boarder
2/26/2010, 03:12 PM
Here's the bill, (http://mccain.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Files.View&FileStore_id=2fe2fa5d-636b-4705-97df-8318a24f718f) btw.

Ike
2/26/2010, 03:21 PM
I'm not gonna read the article...I don't buy that supplement crap anyway, but the key question to me is this:

Are they proposing to regulate these things with respect to safety, or efficacy, or both?

If it's just safety, I say fine, regulate the hell out of them. Remember Ephedra? That was a dietary supplement, until it kilt some folks, including a mildly famous baseball player. Then the FDA banned it. (although the last I heard there were lawsuits going on over this...this was a few years ago) For safety the question becomes, should supplement makers have to prove their product to be safe before it hits the market, or should we instead just have the FDA there ready to take products off the market if/when the kill people?

As to efficacy, well, if they regulated supplements on this, there would be a lot fewer supplements to be found.

I wonder if they'll let me just sell sugar pills under the brand name "Placebo"
I could market that as a potential cure for everything!

TheHumanAlphabet
2/26/2010, 04:15 PM
Did you read the summary?

So what would this really even affect? What has been sold prior to 1994 that is grandfathered in, here? When you read the anti-bill reports it looks like the same old "they took our jerbs" fear mongering stuff.

I'm not saying I'm for or against it without looking, but the link in the first post looks a little conspiracy-theory.

What's so magical about 1994? Why not 2004?

I fead the FDA because they want to regulate all "drugs" and they do a poor job of actually testing and approving something to the market. Its another gubment takeover as I see it and an infringement on my rights.

Problem is most stuff if you researched it, you would stay away from as you would either question ingredients or efficacy. I don't need the gubment to tell Enzyte don't work and won't do anything to make my Johnson bigger and larger...All those NASCAR painted hoods and the smiling man commercials won't convince me either...

tommieharris91
2/26/2010, 05:30 PM
Currently, the FDA regualtes supplements as foods anyway. I don't understand the outrage (well, outside of the "damded big gubmint" yokels.)

GKeeper316
2/26/2010, 07:04 PM
when "dietary supplements" cause people's hearts to ****ing explode, yes, the government should step in and regulate them.

Boarder
2/26/2010, 08:24 PM
The Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic act that is already in place is being changed by this proposed bill. It currently says that anything pre-94 is basically safe. This bill boots that and says that it has to be on the list of approved supplements.

The bill (The Dietary Supplement Safety Act of 2010) is pretty easy to understand and really doesn't have anything bad that I can see. This is interesting:

IN GENERAL.—A dietary supplement which contains a new dietary ingredient shall be deemed adulterated under section 402(f) unless there is a history of use or other evidence of safety establishing that the dietary ingredient when used under the conditions recommended or suggested in the labeling of the dietary supplement will reasonably be expected to be safe and, at least 75 days before being introduced or delivered for introduction into interstate commerce, the manufacturer or distributor of the dietary ingredient or dietary supplement provides the Secretary with information, including any citation to published articles, which is the basis on which the manufacturer or distributor has concluded that a dietary supplement containing such dietary ingredient will reasonably be expected to be safe.

Basically, there are things that this bill does, mostly amending FFDC:
1. Requires that manufacturers of supplements register with the Secretary and tell them what they're making and what it contains.
2. Makes it that if you're making up a new supplement, unless it's something that has been used before or it's something that there have been studies on, it will be deemed bad, until researched. Apparently there used to be a provision that said if you made it before 1994, it was cool.
3. You have to keep a file of info that backs up your claim that the stuff is safe.
4. Penalty section for not obeying the law is not more than twice the gross profits.
5. You have to maintain a report of all adverse events that happened while taking your stuff.
6. You have to send this report to the Secretary once a year and keep them on file for three.
7. The FDA can issue a recall if it's deemed the supplement is unsafe. The manufacturer can request a hearing within five days of the recall order. This hearing will take place no more than 10 days after the recall order. So, basically, if the FDA yanks your yohimbe, you can have a quick hearing to plead your case.

That's the bill and what it changes from the FFDC. I haven't read the FFDC to see what it contains, but it must not be too horrible, since you haven't heard a bunch of crying over it. I fail to see anything unreasonable in the DSSA.

Thoughts?

soonerboomer93
2/26/2010, 09:53 PM
If that's accurate, I don't have an issue with it.

I mean, they have to do studies to prove that medicine is actually good, why not supplements.

Leroy Lizard
2/26/2010, 10:29 PM

In the case of drugs, yes. To prove the efficacy of a drug is way beyond even rich people's funds.

Why not have customers crash their new car to test its safety for themselves? Same reason.