PDA

View Full Version : 1976 Maverick for sale - Need advice, please!

soonerloyal
2/25/2010, 10:13 AM
Hey, SF car experts and aficianados...

I need to part with my "baby":( . He's a black 1976 Ford Maverick. I was hoping to save up enough to have a V8 put in him, but with the economy that simply isn't going to happen for me any time soon.

My middle Marine son bought Mav from his best friend/my "4th son" when I needed a car back in 03. I have received so many offers for him, but I've held onto him (hard) for sentimental reasons - the kiddo was in Iraq a few times and well, you know how superstitious we mamas can be sometimes :( .

Middle son's back and out and as safe as a guy on the streets of SL and soon to be a LEO recruit in training can be *ack*.

I need some advice on how to price Mav. What sort of info do y'all need?

Right now he needs a bit of either brake fluid or brake work, a new battery, He doesn't have an A/C (he didn't come to me with a compressor) but has a kick-arse heater and a pretty loud (for me) sound system/CD player and radio. My "son" put in one of those little racing steering wheels, smaller than usual and I never had it changed out because it was fine for me, but I could see where another driver would want it replaced. He needs a paint touch up and some minor body work for rust spots. He had full seat recovers before I got him, but the interior could use some minor work as well. There's also a crack in his dashboard due to the sun, also received before I got him. I hand-stitched the loose liner on his top interior when I got him - took days to do the tiny stitches, but it was a labor of love done with Linkin Park blaring out of the speakers to pass the time and ease the crick in my neck.

Yeah, if you can't tell, this is a big emotional attachment to him I'm dealing with, but guess the pocketbook will finally have to take precedence. I just don't want to get "taken" by a buyer who is too slick. Any suggestions, barring a time machine to go back & take the offer of $5K while Son was in Camp TQ back when? :texan:

THANK YOU so very much for any help y'all can provide. You rock.

Lori

(Just for info, the two old bumper stickers read "Stop Global Whining" and "My kid fought in Iraq so yours could party in college". Thanks, Sgt. Grit Marine Specialties. LOL )

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a14/KevAndLori/Mav1.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a14/KevAndLori/Mav2.jpg

yermom
2/25/2010, 10:19 AM
it hasn't gone rogue has it? :eek:

soonerloyal
2/25/2010, 10:26 AM
*rimshot*

No, but unlike its accidental namesake, it doesn't quit in the middle of its mission.

:D

yermom
2/25/2010, 10:29 AM
well, i got tree fiddy

i'll let someone else ask about the logistics of intercourse

olevetonahill
2/25/2010, 10:38 AM
Lori , No clue on the value. This is a car that is going to be priced by how bad someone else wants it and how much you want to get rid of it.
Can you post some pics of under the hood ?

yermom
2/25/2010, 10:44 AM
if you want to see what they are going for on craigslist, you can look through some of them here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=1976+maverick+site:craigslist.org

Jacie
2/25/2010, 10:58 AM
If you turned down 5k for what is a parts car or at best a restore, you must be really suspicious. For less than a 6k you can get a Maverick in near mint condition with under 20,000 miles (see Ebay).

soonerloyal
2/25/2010, 11:20 AM
FWIW even though I was being really stupid - I turned $5K down because I was emotionally terrified that my son would die in Iraq and I would be without the car he loved me enough to buy. I know darlin', it's irrational, but that's often the thoughts of mamas whose kids are in harm's way.

Just so y'all know, merely typing out that irrational fear made me feel like an idiot, but the heart can be that way sometimes in spite of our attempts at common sense. *blush*

olevetonahill
2/25/2010, 11:35 AM
FWIW even though I was being really stupid - I turned $5K down because I was emotionally terrified that my son would die in Iraq and I would be without the car he loved me enough to buy. I know darlin', it's irrational, but that's often the thoughts of mamas whose kids are in harm's way.

Just so y'all know, merely typing out that irrational fear made me feel like an idiot, but the heart can be that way sometimes in spite of our attempts at common sense. *blush*

Mamas aint the only ones who can feel that way Hon
When my son went in in 04 I was also terrified.

A Sooner in Texas
2/27/2010, 12:56 AM
Lori, your Mav story brought back some good memories of mine from college. A good friend had a Mav (this was in '73) with no radio. She would literally drive around humming and singing to herself...and head banging. A really great person with a wonderful, exuberant, funny personality. Good luck selling the Mav, but can't you just hang on to it until you can afford to put the V8 in it? Sounds like you'd rather keep it.

King Crimson
2/27/2010, 06:36 AM
i saw a Maverick yesterday. white with a beige top and thought: "how the F is that car still on the road in 2010?".

bluedogok
2/27/2010, 09:30 AM
I still think those are neat cars, I always wanted to build a Pro Street Maverick when I was younger, now I would rather build one with a newer drivetrain, but that will be in the future.

There is a Maverick/Comet forum (http://mmb.maverick.to/) where you might be able to find out more, I know they have a classifieds section so there should be some pricing there.