PDA

View Full Version : Sooner Football Play by Play

soonerfromgeorgia
2/25/2010, 08:24 AM
Who does the radio play by play for the sooners ?

Boomer.....
2/25/2010, 08:27 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/critical_phil/bobbarry.jpg

soonerfromgeorgia
2/25/2010, 09:03 AM
Is he calling it quits ? I've heard a HS play by play guy here in Georgia has been offered the job.

goingoneight
2/25/2010, 09:20 AM
He just recently had some surgery on his knees... only way I could see him leaving is if there was complications. And before the rumor mill starts up, there have been no reported complications.

Boomer.....
2/25/2010, 09:31 AM
I have not heard anything about him quitting and I don't see them pushing him out either.

soonerfromgeorgia
2/25/2010, 09:58 AM
It was nothing official, just a forum like this one.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=37&f=2685&t=5654651

TheHumanAlphabet
2/25/2010, 09:58 AM
He just recently had some surgery on his knees... only way I could see him leaving is if there was complications...

He will go in the booth choking on his hot dog he was looking for...:)

It has become a joke. I hate it when people who can't see that they no longer have the skills and stick around so long that your memories go from loving adorement of the celebrity to sad pity...

Its been years since I lived in Atlanta and followed GA HS football, where and what is TCC HS?

NormanPride
2/25/2010, 11:24 AM
I want JR to take over when BB steps down.

MrJimBeam
2/25/2010, 11:44 AM
Serious?

ndpruitt03
2/25/2010, 11:50 AM
I expected BBS to retire within this year or next year there might be truth to this.

Boomer.....
2/25/2010, 11:59 AM
I want JR to take over when BB steps down.

He definitely has the knowledge and talent to do it but I think we need a younger upbeat person.

NormanPride
2/25/2010, 12:17 PM
I want no young, upbeat person delivering my football. They need to be older, wise, and know the gawddang wishbone isn't just a lucky calcified support element in some animals.

ndpruitt03
2/25/2010, 12:21 PM
JR won't be anywhere near the PBP for OU. I don't think JC wants that type of image around OU.

goingoneight
2/25/2010, 12:25 PM
You mean the big hillbilly image?

C'mon... it IS Southern Football after all.

soonerfromgeorgia
2/25/2010, 01:37 PM
Here's a little taste of his work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DRv63-W5bY&feature=related

fwsooner22
2/25/2010, 01:44 PM
Please don't get this started...........This is the biggest embarrassment of the entire program.......Have some dignity Bob Barry......Just listen to a tape of yourself.....PLEASE

soonerfromgeorgia
2/25/2010, 01:50 PM
He will go in the booth choking on his hot dog he was looking for...:)

It has become a joke. I hate it when people who can't see that they no longer have the skills and stick around so long that your memories go from loving adorement of the celebrity to sad pity...

Its been years since I lived in Atlanta and followed GA HS football, where and what is TCC HS?

This is played on the Video reply board before each game. It gives a little history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NidDqCAuKXc&feature=related

1890MilesToNorman
2/25/2010, 01:55 PM
Ain't he being replaced with the younger looking Dick Clark?

MichiganSooner
2/25/2010, 02:28 PM
Bob Berry should remain the broadcaster of the Sooners. Is he perfect? No, far from it. But he is entertaining. "Clayton at the 50, 40, 30, check that, Broyles at the 25, 15, and driven out of bounds at the 12, check that, the 14 or is it the 13. How bout that run and catch, coach?" Those are what I call Berryisms.

Michigan had a broadcaster who was totally partial in his playcall but everyone including the opponent fans, loved him. And many Michigan fans were embarrassed by him and wanted him canned. Bob Ufer died of cancer and almost in the broadcast booth. At his 2nd to last game, the band spelled Ufer on the field and they put him on the PA system in the stadium. 107,000 stood and turned to the pressbox to see the man they had heard on the radio. In my opinion, Bob Berry deserves the same type of tribute.
And btw, Bob and Mike Stoops were in Ann Arbor that day playing in the secondary for Iowa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHB3B3d7JZ0&feature=related

ndpruitt03
2/25/2010, 02:33 PM
Is there any type of confirmation or even rumor about this other than a post on a georgia hs message board?

Boomer.....
2/25/2010, 02:37 PM
It sure is an odd rumor to start.

Lott's Bandana
2/25/2010, 04:02 PM
Listening to Matt Pinto call the Thunder broadcasts by himself with such ease and accuracy makes BBS seem like a cartoon character.

soonerfromgeorgia
2/26/2010, 07:08 AM
No new news here in Georgia

budbarrybob
2/26/2010, 08:31 AM
I'm all for the nostalgia of having BBSr. But the poor ol' chap needs to understand that he needs to step down. Not for his performance, because it rivals the end of career offerings of the late Harry Caray, but for his age/health. Lets face it, if he wants to get the final fan approval/cheering/applause he needs and deserves, he needs to retire before he dies, not when he dies.

Sooner70
2/26/2010, 08:56 PM
I think it may depend on the voice. If Bob Barry feels his voice can hold out, he may stay on indefinitely. Houston Astros announcer Milo Hamilton is over 80 and still going strong.

I know that scares some people,'cause BB does have his flaws, but I actually think he & Merv make a really good team. One of my Longhorn acquaintences listened to them on a game and was impressed. He said he actually would rather listed to those guys than the polished duo that do Longhorn games. He liked Bob's showmanship and upbeat attitude, and Merv's firmly grounded, blunt assessments. Seems like a good balance.

I guess I've just gotten used to them. I like what we have.

soonerfromgeorgia
2/26/2010, 10:20 PM
Might just be lining someone up before the time comes instead of when it happens, just being proactive. They could be bringing this guy in to work/teach in the media department learning the OU life for a few years.

soonerfromgeorgia
2/27/2010, 02:38 PM
I spoke with the guy today and there has been some discussion between the 2 parties.

bluedogok
2/27/2010, 07:34 PM
One of my Longhorn acquaintences listened to them on a game and was impressed. He said he actually would rather listed to those guys than the polished duo that do Longhorn games. He liked Bob's showmanship and upbeat attitude, and Merv's firmly grounded, blunt assessments. Seems like a good balance.
For the UT radio team I think Craig Way (play-by-play guy) is solid, I remembered him doing the Texas high school football show when I lived in Dallas, the other guy is a complete doofus.

I'd still rather listen to BBs and Merv over whoever does the games on TV, it's one of the main reasons why I still have Sirius.

westcoast_sooner
2/28/2010, 10:56 PM
I'm 53 and Bob Berry Senior was doing sports in OKC when I was a KID!!!! Do I think he'll retire on his own? NO. Do I think he should be pushed out? Not sure - he's tradition, like Keith Jackson, Pat Summerall or Kurt Gowdy. I always loved listening to the games that Mike Treps did, as this was before the big TV contracts, and his radio broadcasts always seemed to bring the games alive to me. BBS - not so much, perhaps I just have never gotten over the fact that he used to do the OSU games.

Good Luck Bob - hang in there.

Collier11
2/28/2010, 11:07 PM
Jim Ross...anybody?

JLEW1818
2/28/2010, 11:40 PM
I had breakfast this morning at sooner legends. He was sitting at the table next to me. Heard him say something about church. Then in the buffet line I was behind him and he was telling somebody how someone pulled the fire alarm in Kansas last week in the hotel room. Haha. He said he thought it was ku fans.

His voice sounds exactly the same in person lol.

Collier11
2/28/2010, 11:45 PM
did you pat him on the bee-hind?

mfosterftw
3/1/2010, 02:47 PM
I know a hockey broadcaster who might like to call Sooner football...

http://www.bobanddan.com/contact/feb7/ftworthtexanscall.mp3

:D :D :D

I Am Right
3/1/2010, 03:29 PM
Geees!

stoopified
3/3/2010, 05:29 PM
I'm 53 and Bob Berry Senior was doing sports in OKC when I was a KID!!!! Do I think he'll retire on his own? NO. Do I think he should be pushed out? Not sure - he's tradition, like Keith Jackson, Pat Summerall or Kurt Gowdy. I always loved listening to the games that Mike Treps did, as this was before the big TV contracts, and his radio broadcasts always seemed to bring the games alive to me. BBS - not so much, perhaps I just have never gotten over the fact that he used to do the OSU games.

Good Luck Bob - hang in there.I turn 50 on the 26th and agree with you completely EXCEPT for the last line.I DO think Bob should step down.

goingoneight
3/3/2010, 06:03 PM
I'll call the games if you all can stomach a bunch of obscenities.

Collier11
3/3/2010, 06:06 PM
id prefer it

goingoneight
3/3/2010, 06:17 PM
"Jones in the gun, signals Broyles left-to-right... Miller out-wide--
snap high... draw play-- Murray on the carry to the five-- TOUCHDOWN OKLAHOMA!!! Eat ****, Texas!"

"Murray-- stiff-arm, get off me, biatch!!! 15, 10, 5 and a score!"

"Gilbert in the gun, some phag in motion... that little bastard out wide (Color analyst: "someone cover his ***!"), snap back, looks left steps up and HAMMERED by the big man... FUMBLE!!! GET ON THAT ****IN' BALL SOONERS!!!

... YEAH, BIATCHES!!! 1st and 10!"

Collier11
3/3/2010, 06:22 PM
Me likey

Sooner-N-KS
3/6/2010, 09:01 AM
Bob Barry is a Poke fan.

We need a real Sooner like JR!

texaspokieokie
3/6/2010, 12:59 PM
i got really sick of Harry Caray doing Cardinal games;when i last lived in OK. long time ago

as old guys go, Vin Scully is still very good, & has to be more than 80 years old.

soonerloyal
3/10/2010, 09:08 AM
BBS is The Voice of Sooner Football to me and scores of other Sooner fans. Hearing him call the games while I'm stuck here in FL is a huge comfort to me.

Mistakes or no, I hope he stays until he passes away. God bless you, Bob Barry Senior.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/10/2010, 10:10 AM
BBS is The Voice of Sooner Football to me and scores of other Sooner fans. Hearing him call the games while I'm stuck here in FL is a huge comfort to me.

Mistakes or no, I hope he stays until he passes away. God bless you, Bob Barry Senior.

Many people, esp. of the John Brooks era, would disgree with you. The mistakes and the hot dog eating are just getting too bad to ignore.

goingoneight
3/10/2010, 12:22 PM
The only people who claim to have comfort in BBSr calling the games anymore are those who check in for like the halftime score or the postgame report. Seriously, give the PBP a listen and tell me "tradition" is worth sticking with. It's the equivalent of Bobby Bowden at FSU. Every preseason FSU was gonna be back, every postseason they won some kinda bowl game. All is well! He's a legend! Wait... 7-5? What?

NormanPride
3/10/2010, 12:51 PM
BBSr calling basketball is the scariest thing I've ever heard...

goingoneight
3/10/2010, 12:54 PM
You mean you don't know who Tony Gallon, Tommy Crocker or Blake Griffith are? :D

Sooner-N-KS
3/10/2010, 01:46 PM
You mean you don't know who Tony Gallon, Tommy Crocker or Blake Griffith are? :D

LOL......or Sam Bradshaw?

...sooner
3/10/2010, 03:11 PM

--hahahah sad but true & funny eek its like a love/hate thing with BBS. you know he loves what he does & loves the sooners but hes just getting so old. :(

C&CDean
3/10/2010, 03:24 PM
Here's the deal on BBS. He's old. Really old. That being said, he tries. Really hard.

I respect him for his work, and really do expect them to have to carry him out feet first from the broadcast booth some day. He's given a lot of his life to the Sooners, and we as Sooners should be patient and kind in return. Does listening to a game he calls infuriate me? Sure. Sometimes in a close game I just have to shut the radio off I get so frustrated.

But here's the real deal. Anywhere else in the country, and they'd have shown him the door several years back. OU has shown him loyalty and I think should be commended for doing so. If you just can't stand it, don't listen. Hell, there's a thousand other ways to catch the game. When he's dead and gone, he'll be fondly remembered by everyone who had an opportunity to listen to him bumble names/yardages/plays/etc. and fumble a hot dog.

soonerloyal
3/10/2010, 03:33 PM
The only people who claim to have comfort in BBSr calling the games anymore are those who check in for like the halftime score or the postgame report. Seriously, give the PBP a listen and tell me "tradition" is worth sticking with. It's the equivalent of Bobby Bowden at FSU. Every preseason FSU was gonna be back, every postseason they won some kinda bowl game. All is well! He's a legend! Wait... 7-5? What?

Seriously, look up the concept of "to me" and "many other fans". Just because he doesn't float your boat doesn't mean there's not a good lake there that some of us enjoy.

And don't suggest I'm one who only checks in at halftime or postgame. I bet I was cheering in the Owen Field stands when you were staining your diapers, boy.

KantoSooner
3/10/2010, 05:36 PM
Here's the deal on BBS. He's old. Really old. That being said, he tries. Really hard.

I respect him for his work, and really do expect them to have to carry him out feet first from the broadcast booth some day. He's given a lot of his life to the Sooners, and we as Sooners should be patient and kind in return. Does listening to a game he calls infuriate me? Sure. Sometimes in a close game I just have to shut the radio off I get so frustrated.

But here's the real deal. Anywhere else in the country, and they'd have shown him the door several years back. OU has shown him loyalty and I think should be commended for doing so. If you just can't stand it, don't listen. Hell, there's a thousand other ways to catch the game. When he's dead and gone, he'll be fondly remembered by everyone who had an opportunity to listen to him bumble names/yardages/plays/etc. and fumble a hot dog.

Dean you're right. I spent a memorable early morning in Asia with a buddy from West Virginia for a Fiesta Bowl a few years ago and the high point of the day was hearing him say, "Damn, I knew there was something in common between our states," when BBS came on the air.
And then came the hot dog announcement.
The air was electric.

salth2o
3/10/2010, 05:47 PM
Here's a little taste of his work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DRv63-W5bY&feature=related

He is pretty good, but I like this guy better... ;)

cyAGZ41btx8

budbarrybob
3/10/2010, 05:56 PM
He is pretty good, but I like this guy better... ;)

cyAGZ41btx8

this guys hurts my ears

goingoneight
3/10/2010, 06:15 PM
Seriously, look up the concept of "to me" and "many other fans". Just because he doesn't float your boat doesn't mean there's not a good lake there that some of us enjoy.

And don't suggest I'm one who only checks in at halftime or postgame. I bet I was cheering in the Owen Field stands when you were staining your diapers, boy.

Ah, yes... the stale "I'm older than you, I'm better than you" argument. :rolleyes:

soonerloyal
3/10/2010, 10:22 PM
Nah, not because I'm older, because I'm a mean mama. :D

Dang young'un. :P